Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
[Linked Image]

Looks like Baker Mayfield stats.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh we need this one. It’s not a season- killer because our division looks to be all kinds of suck, but it will, as you say, be a long 11 days until week 3.

Here’s what I do: do the same thing on offence, run the damn ball, look for Coop, on D we have to stop being brain-dead in the secondary. Stop giving up big chunks on kickoff coverage, let Cade boot it into the stands. Our run D hasn’t been awful. Blitz Trubisky.

I wonder if we’ll see more of Harrison and Lecounte.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is a video that previews the game and then features Charles Davis talking about some of the keys to the game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
After watching that video, I wonder if we should play more Cover 3 instead of Cover 2 and 4 this week?

Legend
Legend
We’ve seen this script before (heck, we just saw it Sunday haha) … a QB who has no business beating us at our stadium comes in and plays lights out.

Trubisky isn’t good, but we can make him look good. I worry about his ability to run

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How the Cleveland Browns beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in primetime showdown

Cory Kinnan
September 22, 2022 8:44 am ET

The Cleveland Browns get their first chance to show what they’ve got on primetime football tonight as their divisional rival Pittsburgh Steelers travel to FirstEnergy Stadium. After getting punched in the gut a week ago against the New York Jets, this game will tell a great deal about what this team and locker room are made of.

After the rest of the AFC North stumbled just as hard as the Browns did in Week 2, Cleveland still has a chance to take over as the leaders in the division with a win tonight (at least until Sunday). The Steelers and Browns both sit at 1-1 entering this matchup, so it has the makings of another high-anxiety outing.

How do the Browns come away from this game with a 2-1 record? We dive headfirst into that conversation now.

Jacoby stays positive on touchdown-to-interception Ratio

What has separated Jacoby Brissett from Baker Mayfield a year ago thus far has been his ability to keep the football out of harm’s way. Through two games, Brissett has turned the ball over just one time, and it came with 11 seconds left in the game when he was forced to push the football down the field and into field goal range.

This is the recipe for winning with him under center the next nine games. The Browns do not need Brissett to blow the doors off of the stadium, but they need to take care of the football and be efficient. And thus far he has answered the call.

Brissett currently sits in the top-10 of just about every efficiency metric out there, including sitting seventh in DVOA and ninth in DYAR according to Football Outsiders. More of the same should give the Browns a comfortable win over the Steelers, but it should have also given them a comfortable win over the Jets as well.

Even if Brissett is just one passing touchdown to no interceptions, he has put the Browns in the position to win the football game.

Browns do not blow a single coverage

A players-only meeting has been called. And that should be a relief as it would be more concerning had they just chosen to ignore the glaringly obvious through two games. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah has stated communication against the pass has been the emphasis as well.

Good.

After two straight weeks where the Browns have blown two-score leads in the fourth quarter due to blown coverages, this is the last week they have to prove they can get their act together without the serious discussion of somebody getting fired.

This Steelers’ offense is anemic. Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky has put bottom tier quarterback play on tape, they cannot run the football, and their offensive line should be quite overmatched. This, however, was the same against Mayfield and the Panthers as well, but allowed 65% of their yards to strike on two blown coverages and a screen pass.

As long as the secondary figures it out (big ask), the Browns should roll against the Steelers.

Keep Anthony Walker Jr. on the field full time

Keeping MIKE linebacker Anthony Walker Jr. on the field full time might go quite a ways for this team to stay within themselves and towards getting their communication woes handled. As the Browns are currently rotating the defensive communication duties between Walker Jr. and Jacob Phillips, the play of number 5 has been significantly better. Keep him as the main communicator.

Walker Jr. has also stepped up as quite the leader this week, as a team captain should, saying all of the right things during his media availability. Walker Jr. has taken blame that was not his to take and stepped up for this team after getting punched in the mouth. The Cleveland Browns are quite lucky to have Walker Jr. as a leader on this football team.

He is been significantly better than Phillips through two weeks, he is a leader on the defense, and the Browns need to simplify their communication systems. Keep Walker Jr. on the field.

Just put 20 points on the board

For a team that is tied with the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs in the percentage of drives that end in points (top in the league), the Browns have not had much issue putting the scoreboard operator to work. The same cannot be said about the Steelers as previously mentioned.

Their offense has scored just two touchdowns all season long, with kicker Chris Boswell being their leading scorer on the season. There should be no reason the Browns should not be able to outscore this offense.

If the Browns can even put 20 points on the scoreboard, that should be more than enough as the only time the Steelers surpassed that this year was on an overtime field goal (that took all 15 minutes of overtime to hit). It is simple math, the team that scores the most points wins, and the Browns have proven to have a significantly better offense while playing two talented defenses thus far.

Should the Browns get out early and force the Steelers out of their game plan, that will put a great deal of pressure on Trubisky. This is the blueprint.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
One of the things Quincy Carrier does that I love is he brings division guests who are guys like him.

News alert. These youtube guys that cover the North know their teams better than any of the tv people. The reason is because it is their team. They know the league but they really know their team. The Steeler guest this guy knows the Steelers.

2 members like this: FATE, ScottPlayersFacemask
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
After watching that video, I wonder if we should play more Cover 3 instead of Cover 2 and 4 this week?

I don't know the big differences between Cover 2 and Cover 3 etc but Charles Davis talks about how teams are playing tight coverage vs the steelers because they don't seem to have the ability or willingness to go deep. Historically, when I see something like that comment, the Browns come out playing off coverage to prevent getting beat deep allowing the other offense to short pass to wide open receivers marching all the way down the field easily.

A 2 sentence description of differences between those coverages would be appreciated.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Simply put, Cover 3 divides the field into 3 vertical sections. Cover 4 divides the field into 4 vertical sections.

Cover 3 has 1 deep safety and the other safety plays closer to the LOS. He helps cover TEs, RBs, and the flat as well as being a force against the run. Cover 4 plays both safeties deep. They provide deep help on the deeper passing game and are not as effective on the underneath routes and defending the run.

I mentioned Cover 3 because Trubisky has not challenged teams down the field and has thrown a lot of shorter passes.

Does that help? I'll answer more questions if you have them.

Legend
Legend
I watched some of the Steeler/Bengals game. I listened to Tomlin's press conference.

Clearly, Tomlin is aware that both Chubb and Hunt have had almost the same snaps like 76 and 78.

He knows the Browns have the best running attack.

Given the above. When you watch how the Steelers were playing the run against the Bengals.

Run blitz. On a wide zone to the strong side the linebackers and a safety are jamming the gaps and flood the outside.

They try to turn the play and close cutback lanes.

The solutions is slants to the vacated areas.

IMO on early downs the Browns need to throw to the TE's.

Or, have Hunt and Chubb in the backfield and use Hunt off the play action to Chubb find the open area.

The Steelers are going to commit to the run. We need to exploit that early. Then come back to run later in the game.

1 member likes this: Hammer
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by bonefish

IMO on early downs the Browns need to throw to the TE's.

Yep.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm putting my wife's vehicle and my second born son's bike on Nick Chubb longest rush over 19.5 yards. He's had a rush of at least 20 yards in six straight games!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Simply put, Cover 3 divides the field into 3 vertical sections. Cover 4 divides the field into 4 vertical sections.

Cover 3 has 1 deep safety and the other safety plays closer to the LOS. He helps cover TEs, RBs, and the flat as well as being a force against the run. Cover 4 plays both safeties deep. They provide deep help on the deeper passing game and are not as effective on the underneath routes and defending the run.

I mentioned Cover 3 because Trubisky has not challenged teams down the field and has thrown a lot of shorter passes.

That's helpful to me.
Is it safe to say Cover 3 has tighter coverage or will the tightness of coverage vary depending on how the defense decides to play it?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

In addition to that, the wind is supposed to be between 25-25 mph. That should result in more emphasis on the running game and short passing game which will eat clock.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Jester

That's helpful to me.
Is it safe to say Cover 3 has tighter coverage or will the tightness of coverage vary depending on how the defense decides to play it?

I don't know about "tighter," but Cover 3 has more man tendencies than Cover 2 or 4. It's still very much a zone defense, but the corners can trail the WRs all the way up the sidelines. Cover 2 and 4 are safer. Cover 3 is a bit more aggressive. For example, Baltimore was in Cover 3 last week against Miami and were burned repeatedly deep by very fast WRs in T. Hill and Waddle. Cover 3 can be exploited by deep passing attacks. Cover 2 and 4 are safer, but not as aggressive in coverage.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's Alex Wright's time to step up and shine. He should get a fair amount of one on ones with Myles on the other side (I'd keep MG on the offenses right to try to keep Trubisky flushed to his left, generally-speaking.) Rattling Trubisky without blitzing would be great for our chances. Hopefully, the pass rush starts hot so they keep Freiermuth in blocking for extra protection. Might also send JOK off Myles' edge to stress that OL and hopefully get one or the other free in the potential confusion.

I might also have Delpit double cover Diontae Johnson every play (with the occasional blitz by him mixed in,) so that I didn't have to worry about 22 back in zone coverage, while also hopefully taking away the quick/easy passes. I would likely also have Ward follow Johnson all game so as to avoid the size mismatches the other receivers present.

I think I'd like to see us run more cover 1. Not exclusively, but it could simplify the assignments some.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think I'd like to see us run more cover 1. Not exclusively, but it could simplify the assignments some.

You might be on to something.

There was an article from 2020 that said this:

“IT’S NOT PRETTY ACROSS THE BOARD, BUT TRUBISKY REALLY STRUGGLED AGAINST MAN COVERAGE. AGAINST COVER-1 — MAN COVERAGE WITH A SINGLE DEEP SAFETY — TRUBISKY RANKED 30TH IN EPA PER PLAY. HE PERFORMED BETTER AGAINST ZONE COVERAGES.
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chica...-method-to-stump-mitch-trubisky-in-2019/

There is also this for the first two games this year.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/mitch-trubisky/

Lot's of great information in that link, but regarding man vs zone, check these numbers out.

Completion percentage: Man-53.8% Zone-75.0%

Passer Rating: Man-73.3 Zone-117.7

Accuracy Rating: Man-6.0. Zone-8.1

Btw--------for those of you who like Advanced Stats, that second site is a very useful tool to study data.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Chester Rogers punt return time!

1 member likes this: AZBrown
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I gotta make a phone call......

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Milk Man, FATE
Legend
Legend
That would be awesome lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

In addition to that, the wind is supposed to be between 25-25 mph. That should result in more emphasis on the running game and short passing game which will eat clock.

I was going to say, just being out and about town, the wind is buffeting around 25 MPH. It might not be cold outside, but one sweatshirt with hood isn't enough to remain comfortable. A bit nippy might be the way to describe the temp.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
I'm putting my wife's vehicle and my second born son's bike on Nick Chubb longest rush over 19.5 yards. He's had a rush of at least 20 yards in six straight games!

Winner!!

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Steelers 17 Steelers vs Browns Matchup

Link Copied to Clipboard