Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Frenchy
LSU wins with the 2pt conversion, 32-31

Amazing game... gutsy call... great finish....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It will be weird to not have Bama or Clemson in the CFP.

OSU/UM has always been a de facto play-in type game. You wonder if the loser still has an outside shot?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
How is mich better than TCU? and, how is UsC not more in the mix
pfft.
U.s.C. may be better than ichigan, already.

USC is 8-1, and narrowly just beat a 3-6 Cal team. What has Michigan done to drop? Michigan's schedule has been pretty weak, but so has USC. Their only ranked game, they lost. TCU is good too, but Michigan has been ranked higher all year, and hasn't lost, so they would normally stay higher. The Big 12 sucks this year.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The top 7 make a lot of sense to me and it's what I predicted. The Tenn/TCU order was my only question, but I think the committee got it right.

Grateful posted the top four.

5. Tennessee
6. Oregon
7. LSU

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
How about how Baldwin Wallace lost??? Crazy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A couple of good games. Most that I saw were duds.

I thought the Oregon/Washington game was the best. Both teams throwing haymakers. Glad Washington won.

The LSU/Arkansas game was good. I thought the Razorbacks blew too many opportunities. Could have easily won.

--Same thing happened in the Alabama/Ole Miss game.

Tennessee shamelessly pouring it on. Can't say I blame them, but .....

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
How about how Baldwin Wallace lost??? Crazy

AWFUL!!!! When I was at BW I remember a game against Mount where we were down 72-0 at half time at home! AT HOME!!!

Man! That was an unreal last play for Mount to win...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’ve followed BW for some time and have seen some bad teams and outcomes lol … but that was the worst

Legend
Legend
I’ve followed BW for some time and have seen some bad teams and outcomes lol … but that was the worst

yep... I can't remember the last time BW beat Mount... actually, I just looked it up... 1994... pathetic!!

BW had some decent teams when I was there... I haven't followed too closely to their football since I graduated...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
94?? Yikes

Legend
Legend
Here’s the debate: let’s say OSU loses a close game to Michigan and Michigan goes on to win the Big 10 title in a blowout … does OSU still make it?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Those who study the committee and their decisions say that OSU has a chance to make the playoffs if they lose a close game against TUN. However, they say TUN is done if they lose to OSU, due to how weak their schedule was. OSU would be hanging on by a thread and would need some things to happen. Big 10 teams don't get the same leeway as SEC teams when it comes to the committee.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
The right move but a tragic event. Tough to see things like that

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

I am assuming this was a joke post?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here’s the debate: let’s say OSU loses a close game to Michigan and Michigan goes on to win the Big 10 title in a blowout … does OSU still make it?

Lots of moving parts but Georgia is almost a lock.
Winner of the OSU-Michigan is in which would be Michigan in your scenario
If Tennessee or TCU lose they are out
If TCU wins out I think they get in

If Tennessee wins out then it would be the decision between one loss Tennessee and one loss OSU
OSU bias because the travel well and draw tv eyes vs SEC bias.
Could go either way.

LSU is a dark horse. If they were to beat Georgia in the SEC championship I think Georgia still gets in. Could a 2 loss LSU jump either or both 1 loss tennessee and/or OSU?
That would be an interesting argument

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I agree. I think it would come down to Tennessee/OSU. Tough call for the committee

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

R
Legend
Legend
R
Was that expected? Why would he leave Cincinnati?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't know, but..........

Legend
Legend
There were rumors flying around earlier this week. He'll make 6mil per year vs 5 at Cincinatti, and he won't be fighting OSU for all of the Ohio recruits.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Congrats to fickell … i think it’s alluring to coach in the big 10 west

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, the Big 10 East is way stronger than the West. That could change a little when USC and UCLA arrive.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, especially how USC has looked with the new coach

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Good. That would still give us chance to talk to Jim Leonhard for the DC position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I know Wisconsin was hoping he’d still stay there under fickell, but I dont see it

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't love expanding to 12 teams. I think 8 would be the sweet spot. I would have each of the power 5 conference champions make it. This gets rid of any conference bias. Then you have 3 at large team. Do we really need more than that? Those 4 extra teams just water it down. JMO

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Jester
I don't love expanding to 12 teams. I think 8 would be the sweet spot. I would have each of the power 5 conference champions make it. This gets rid of any conference bias. Then you have 3 at large team. Do we really need more than that? Those 4 extra teams just water it down. JMO

I understand your view.

I like it because it pretty much eliminates the moaning once you get down to the 13th team. I also think in most years you have plenty of 1 and 2 loss teams who are quality teams. Take last weeks game between Mich and OSU. One of those teams as going to lose. In deeper leagues, depending on the schedule you can end up with quality 2 loss teams.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Here’s a link to the cbs sports article: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...m-expansion-beginning-in-2024-25-season/

This definitely takes away from the meaning and emotion of the rivalries. It also takes away from the conference championship games.

This year, for example, regardless of what happens this weekend, we’d have a playoff that includes UGA, Mich, TCU, USC, OSU, ‘Bama, Tenn, Penn St., Wash, Clemson, LSU, Utah.

I guess it sounds good in theory but it’s a disaster for those who value the traditions of college football.

Legend
Legend
I like it because it pretty much eliminates the moaning once you get down to the 13th team.

We've had the 4 team playoff since 2014. Most of the moaning has come before league championship week, fueled by the media. Once it all plays out, there just hasn't been a lot of complaining about who was left out. They've gotten it right. Most years the 4th or even the 3rd team in do not stack up to 1 and 2.

I guess it sounds good in theory but it’s a disaster for those who value the traditions of college football.

This is where I'm at. 2 and 3 loss teams shouldn't be competing for the title. Top NFL prospects who may have considered playing for the NC may now opt out due to the extra games.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think so any more than some of the other changes.

No to mention it creates new traditions. For that matter, how long has the Big 10 had a championship game? It's been a while, but not so long it is an age old tradition.

The Rose Bowl had to make the change or TV and BCS was going to move on without them.

And how would those teams listed hurt the tradition of the game?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I am not disrespecting anyone's opinion. We all have our preferences and none of them are wrong. It's just a personal appreciation, or lack thereof, of certain formats.

Personally speaking, I don't find the Conference Championships being a vehicle steeped in rich tradition. They were added during modern times to bring in more money to the respective conferences. The latest move is also to bring in more money. I'm okay w/capitalism.

I wanted the 8 team playoff format, but I've grown to see the positives of having 12 teams after reading up on it. It should provide a lot of excitement. I despised the days where a champion was chosen w/out a title game being played. I did not like it when they just had two teams. Four teams was better, but I think there is so much bias from the Networks that are affiliated w/certain conferences that the playoff rankings became very suspect. That is a huge topic I would like to delve into at another time because it's a topic w/a ton of information to decipher. I will just say that I'm good w/the new format, but I understand why others may feel differently.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When the season ends, it might be interesting to compare out the matchups for the different formats and see what that looks like.
Would be interesting to do that for the past few years - but that would be quite the undertaking.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's nothing but a money thing. Expanding the playoffs extends the number of playoff games and draws more money in with more playoff games. Sure bowl games are nice for the fans of many teams. But it doesn't quite draw in the casual fans. A playoff opportunity will. That's why I think they chose a twelve team format over and eight team format and I'm shocked the four team format lasted this long.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's nothing but a money thing. Expanding the playoffs extends the number of playoff games and draws more money in with more playoff games. Sure bowl games are nice for the fans of many teams. But it doesn't quite draw in the casual fans. A playoff opportunity will. That's why I think they chose a twelve team format over and eight team format and I'm shocked the four team format lasted this long.

I agree
One thing that you didn't comment on that may explain some as to why the 4 team playoff lasted so long is the controversy of who gets in and who doesn't. I think the NCAA likes the controversy. It gets so much discussion and keeps them front and foremost in the sports marketplace.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
No to mention it creates new traditions.
. Good point. With this, I’m thinking something along the lines of Cowboys/49ers. Two teams that may not play each other every year, but develop a history of postseason wars. - Ohio State/Clemson have started to develop this type of rivalry.

And how would those teams listed hurt the tradition of the game?

Take Ohio State for instance… in a playoff round of 12, if they advance to the title game, that means they’d have played at least 2 games and possibly 3. - The only way that I can see them accounting for all of these playoff games is to cut into the regular season. - Fewer games against inner conference rivals.
Additionally, if both teams figure to make the playoffs, I don’t think people will care as much about rivalry games. Ohio State v Michigan doesn’t mean as much if both teams still have a chance for the title regardless of who wins “The Game”.

However, contrary to what I may have lead people to believe, I kinda like the idea of the playoffs expanding. It’ll be cool to see the marginal teams from a few conferences have a chance for the title. - Create a “Cinderella” vibe. The enhanced competition could cause more development from teams and lead to a better product. It also incentivizes more teams to compete throughout the regular season.

Last edited by RememberMuni; 12/02/22 03:41 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum College Football 2022

Link Copied to Clipboard