Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1976257 10/05/22 05:32 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
superconfused I am somewhere beyond frustrated with our "performance" at this point. Lame judgment, play calls, lousy D,
and the list goes on for some dawgs from there.

So at this point, one of my questions is "What does success look like?" With a bucket of issues to correct and address, what will the progress look like that is most needed? I know the obvious answer is "A win, dummy. Duh!" What questions need to be raised and addressed for us to move forward? I don't care for that popular interview response of put this one behind us, the short memory thing, and then see us blow up and lose a game in a sorry way, the same way it has happened before, like blowing one or more leads in the fourth quarter or passing up a FG. How do you fix not learning from mistakes? If you want different outcomes, do different things or do them differently. Whaat questions and answers might you have going into one of the 'hard' games this Sunday?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Gotta be honest. Once the suspension came down, I lowered my expectations to "maybe next year". Obviously our FO was okay with punting this season for a franchise QB. It is what it is. Shortly, after the loss Sunday I look at my wife and son and they're staring at me like my hair is on fire... not because I'm mad, because I'm indifferent. They couldn't understand why I was laughing and joking around. It's almost like going back to 2017... I know we don't have a QB that will take us to the promised land so I suspect I'll just get used to losing again... take it all in stride as such.

I also think people go waaay overboard with criticizing play-calling. It's great when it's working -- it sucks when it isn't. I imagine there would also be a "Fire Stefanski" thread had we not converted on 4th and 1 at our own 29... Instead, Brissett converts and I can imagine plenty of fans were yelling "that's why I love this guy -- he has a set!". I'm old school, I also hate the era of passing on FGs, I just shake my head because I know this is the new NFL.

So, going forward, I hope my biggest question is answered soon... If not, Watson, Brady, God himself won't matter much at QB... when will we ever just learn how to close out a game? When we will move beyond the "no lead is safe" defense? When will we stop with the historically absurd number of points and yards per play given up in the 4th quarter??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The answer is simple, Change the game from 4 quarters to 3. On their way to the SB !! LOL

I truly believe it's not too far from fixing it. The Browns aren't the only team losing in the 4th quarter

Things will start to fall in place, people will take responsibility and ownership of situations

A few small changes or maybe it might take a big one

And the wins will start to add up.

The next few games will show if the team is capable of being a contender behind a back up QB and a young team.

FGs are away to put points up and give the team confidence BUT !

Imagine if the Browns got really good at picking up 4th down conversions

That would be like smacking the opponent in the face and showing how tough they are

That would be awesome !

the up coming schedule of the Chargers Patriots Ravens Bengals Dolphins Bills and the Buccaneers

It had me feeling like gloom and doom and THEN !

I asked myself a question ??? Do you really believe the Browns aren't capable of

Upsetting a few of these teams and give them a good fight

I'm going to keep the game by game faith that they can win so I can

Keep some joy towards my team alive in my heart !

We'll see how it goes and can only hope it goes better than how most of us feel it will

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm very much in the same boat. After Brissett's early season form and even though I expected him to slip back to the mean, I got Sunday ticket to watch the team. But I did so really not expecting them to win enough games to make the playoffs. It's not indifference as much as acceptance. When KB threw the one beautiful pass to DPJ my hopes did rise for a series or two.... But not long. Not expecting miracles during this tough stretch of games. This season I'll be watching Browns as usual but also the rookie WRs who are phenomenal , watch Philly who I was super high on preseason, and as I'm in CLT I'll continue to keep an eye on Bake while he is still a starter.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We've just got to get hot at the right time. Plays were there to be made.

We played a bunch of young guys on the DL, and they were taking their lumps. Hopefully, they grow from them. Getting a couple of former round one, pick one guys back should certainly help as well.

Unfortunately, Brissett doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. He's been good for us, but he can't really cover for other players' mistakes. He's not a multiple arm angle guy, or one who is going to make many free rushers miss. He's not going to scramble until someone gets open to convert on long down and distance. He's not going to throw around a rusher in his face to make a screen work. Watson can do those things, and it makes other guys jobs "easier." Brissett needs to stay on time, within structure to be successful, generally speaking.

Myles is kind of the same on defense. You don't need the perfect call on every play if He's in the backfield causing disruption and throwing off timing. Receivers don't have time to cross the entire field to find the soft spot in a zone coverage when he's applying pressure.

We're not going to be the undefeated Dolphins. But, if we keep our heads above water until Watson gets back and shakes off the rust, I could definitely see us getting hot like the 2012 Giants. Hopefully we'll have some injury luck the rest of the way.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Bard. I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm just a little surprised by your take. I expect that from some of guys on here. Not you. I think the play calling has been excellent. I questioned one call this past week. Should have snuck it after Chubb's progress was stopped and they didn't say he fumbled. Other than that....things were good. I guess we can question the TE end around because it failed, but it wasn't a horrific call. I've seen those plays work.

I read a ton of negativity on here--and other places--before the season. We seem to have exceeded the expectations of many. The analysts predicted we would win 6 or 7 games. We can still do that. Maybe even exceed it.

Our QB play this year is the best we've seen in a long time. It might not last, but it's been very good overall. Dude is 9th in QBR and 6th in PFF grades. He is also a solid leader.

The drama between players is gone.

The OL still rocks. Our RBs are playing well. Cooper is a good WR. Njoku is blossoming. We still have Myles and the secondary made great strides last week. We obviously made coaching adjustments, because ATL only completed 7 passes.

I think we should not forget that we also secured a true top-tier QB for next year and years beyond that. Probably over a decade of excellent qb play. We've never had that before. Things will be up and down this year, but we weren't going anywhere w/the former qb. We fixed the most important position on the field. Probably in all of sports.

Better times are ahead, my friend.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We are playing better than I thought we would. Set the bar low, its hard to be upset. Once DW starts I expect the world and more.

No Craps Given
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Cheer up,
We've lost to 2 washed up QBs and beat 2 never was QBs.Now we get to face the good QBs.The sky is the limit.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
Give CHUBB the Ball and keep it away from Herbert ... We WIN!!! thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, I'm upset our self called outstanding D has cost us two games- the coaches didn't play a down....you can't give up easy plays like that- they, the players own it. DW scares me- he quit on Texans because he thought they wouldn't spend money to win....he's got issues and we gave him over 200 million GUARANTEED - if he doesn't do his counselling does he still get paid? He could never play a down for us- the ONLY sure thing is maybe he'll want to play for team with good O line and superb running backs....we can hope. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow- wonder if Miles learned anything.....IF we win three games in next nine I'll be surprised.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well, we can always keep Jacoby if DW doesn't work out!!! rolleyes

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Well, we can always keep Jacoby if DW doesn't work out!!! rolleyes
As long as every play is 3rd or 4th and inches I’m good with it lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Chargers 30 Dawg Fan Questions

Link Copied to Clipboard