Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1976385 10/06/22 10:54 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Both teams are sitting at 2 and 2 and this is obviously an important game for both teams. I was hoping for a clearer picture of status of injured players on both teams before I started this thread because I think some of those players are directly involved in the key matchups for this game. It's getting late in the week, though. Let's give it a go.

Some Numbers: [These are for reference purposes only]

Line: Chargers are favored by 2.5. I think it opened at 3. The over/under is 47.5.

Offense:

Yards per/Game: Browns @ 384.8, which is 4th in the NFL. Chargers @ 371.8, which is 7th overall.

Points per/Game: Browns = 26.3, good for 6th overall. Chargers = 23.0, which is 12th in the NFL.

Defense:

Yds/per game: Browns at 326.9, which is 9th in the NFL. Chargers at 349.5, which is 20th overall.

Pts/per Game: Browns surrendering 23.8, which is 19th overall. Chargers @ 27.0, which is 30th overall.

Turnovers:

Both teams are +1 this year.

A Few Key Matchup Numbers from The Roar:

The Browns have scored on 46.3% of their drives this season — tied for third-best in NFL. The Chargers defense has allowed scores on 42.2% of opponent drives this season — fifth-worst in NFL.

The Browns have rushed the ball on 52.7% of plays from scrimmage this season — third-highest in NFL. The Chargers have allowed 5.7 yards per carry this season — second-worst in NFL.

Browns RBs have averaged 137.0 rushing yards per game since the 2021 season — best in NFL. The Chargers have allowed an average of 134.1 rushing yards per game since the 2021 season — tied for fifth-worst in NFL.

The Browns have gone three and out 4 times in the 1st quarter since the 2021 season — fewest in NFL.

The Chargers defense has not allowed any rushing touchdowns on 17 carries in the red zone this season — tied for best Carries Per TD rate in NFL; League Avg: 5.4.

The Chargers defense has allowed 13 of 68 (19%) first downs on the ground this season — lowest in NFL; League Avg: 36%.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/n...-odds-player-prop-bets-picks-week-5-jaa/

Keys to the Game:

--How much pressure can the Browns put on Herbert w/out blitzing? The Chargers outstanding young LT, Rashawn Slater, is done for the season. They are starting a rookie at that spot. If Myles can play, we should have a distinct advantage. If he doesn't this will neutralize an advantage for the Browns, which ultimately is a win for the Chargers.

--Browns run it a lot and Chargers have struggled the last two years at stopping the run. [See the numbers above.] The Browns must get more yards w/the running game on first down than they did last week.

--Browns use of play action passing. Joey Bosa is out for this game. I think if we can establish the run, our play action passing can exploit the Chargers due to them missing Bosa and is pass rushing abilities.

--Browns pass defense vs LA's passing offense. Herbert is an elite qb. We have not faced one decent qb this year. This is going to be a real test. Keenun Allen has missed 3 straight games w/a hamstring injury. He did not practice yesterday. I think he is scheduled to play, but I'm not sure. If he plays, we are going have a really tough time stopping them through the air.

Bottom Line:

I think it's hard to call this game w/out knowing whether or not Myles and Allen are playing or not. I guess I could include Clowney in this, but I find it hard to ever count on that guy. I'll update things as the week progresses. Looking forward to your football takes on this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are going to get our butts kicked

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Early in the season it's important to understand how you got to where you are. Your statistics are based on the opponents you're playing against. Playing weaker teams would tend to inflate those stats and make them look more impressive than they are. It's an important ingredient that shouldn't be overlooked.

Chargers opponents thus far this season along with their standing in the power rankings verses the Browns opponents and their power rankings.

Chargers opponents...

Raiders ranked 15th

Chiefs ranked 3rd

Jaguars ranked 20th

Texans ranked 32nd

Browns opponents...

Panthers ranked 31st

Jets ranked 26th

Steelers ranked 27th

Falcons ranked 22nd

Current power ranking of both the Chargers and Browns

Chargers ranked 14th

Browns ranked 21st

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-week-5-2022-nfl-season

This certainly doesn't tell you what the results of the game will be. But when you try and compare stats between two teams, the opponents they have played against, their strength of schedule to date goes a very long way in explaining how they accumulated those stats.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Their offense is elite. Good thing our defense is too … oh wait lol

Honestly, we have seen 4 of the worst QBs in the league and have struggled, so I’m not sure we can hold them under 40

we always say to run the ball all game, but there are lapses where we don’t.

Not sure we can keep up with them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I will probably be wrong but I like this match-up for the Browns.

I did not like us in the Falcon game.

We have to bring pressure when we can not. We fail. The pressure has to come from the DE position. That means Clowney and Myles. Clowney is one of the best at run pursuit from the back side. He also is good at setting the edge and forcing the play inside.

Myles has to be game planned. And because of that it allows others to make plays. Herbert can move but he is not a runner.

The Browns defense is based upon front four pressure. If we are defend against their explosive pass game we have to depend upon nickel and dime packages and quarterback pressure. It is the key to our defensive scheme.
=========================================================================================

They have Mack but are missing Bosa. Derwin James is really good. He can do it all. However, their defense can be attacked.

Our play action scheme will be a big problem for them. We do what we do and that is run the ball. Then we play action off that.

When we spread the field and use our play makers. Our offense can get to the Chargers.

I like us at home coming off a loss. But we need our DE's.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"I will probably be wrong but I like this match-up for the Browns.

I did not like us in the Falcon game."

The greatest gift to have
Hindsight
Chargers maybe a hundred
Browns next to nothing

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by BADdog

This thread is proving to me more work than the I get in return. It's really hard to talk football on here.

Thanks bone for making a good football post.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by BCbrownie
Hindsight

Nothing to do with hindsight. Educate yourself a bit.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1973980/browns-vs-falcons-matchup#Post1973980

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by BADdog

This thread is proving to me more work than the I get in return. It's really hard to talk football on here.

Thanks bone for making a good football post.

Oh the irony you as content police rolleyes

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: FATE
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel with both us and the Chargers healthy they are a more talented team. Neither team is healthy them even a little worse off than us but it's difficult to see us winning this game. JMO

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/06/22 07:08 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Atlanta game was rough. The things I was most concerned about with the Falcons was a very mobile QB and a top-tier TE. Things that we have proved incapable of stopping in the past. We shut them both down. As well as their top WR. We had a terribly blown coverage on one play, which was exploited. Our inability to stop the run in the 2nd half was what did it. That's on the players. They did not execute.

I do not know much about the Chargers other than they have a top-end QB. I understand that he is dealing with the ribs. Maybe some early pressure and a hit or two tightens him up a bit, gets him to thinking. Having Garrett and/or Clowney back would be huge. Missing the starters on the DL last week was a glaring problem. Our depth ... ugh.

When the schedule first came out we were looking at this game as the first challenge, and the start of a rough stretch. The first four did not go as we hoped. But with Herbert ailing and Bosa out, this makes this game a little more manageable than we first thought. We need to play well to have a chance, but it's a better chance than it looked a few weeks ago.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree w/your takes, bro. Although, I was kind of expecting 2 and 2.

Getting pressure on Herbert would be huge for us. Remember, they lost Slater, their LT who was sensational as a rookie. That's a huge loss. They have a rookie at LT now. It would be great if Myles could play.

We have played some really bad qbs thus far. Herbert is one of the very best qbs in the league. He will be a real challenge. Many people picked the Chargers as a potential Super Bowl team. I thought the same. They should have beat KC, but it's hard to explain the waxing that Jax gave them.

Their run defense is bad. I say that not just because of this year's stats, but they were awful against the run last year, too.

We absolutely can't get in a shoot-out w/them. They are too talented on O and I think Keenun Allen will play this week.

Thanks for the football talk. I appreciate it.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
I will probably be wrong but I like this match-up for the Browns.

I did not like us in the Falcon game.

We have to bring pressure when we can not. We fail. The pressure has to come from the DE position. That means Clowney and Myles. Clowney is one of the best at run pursuit from the back side. He also is good at setting the edge and forcing the play inside.

Myles has to be game planned. And because of that it allows others to make plays. Herbert can move but he is not a runner.

The Browns defense is based upon front four pressure. If we are defend against their explosive pass game we have to depend upon nickel and dime packages and quarterback pressure. It is the key to our defensive scheme.
=========================================================================================

They have Mack but are missing Bosa. Derwin James is really good. He can do it all. However, their defense can be attacked.

Our play action scheme will be a big problem for them. We do what we do and that is run the ball. Then we play action off that.

When we spread the field and use our play makers. Our offense can get to the Chargers.

I like us at home coming off a loss. But we need our DE's.
Austin Eckler might have a career game recieving
The Browns LBers are very average in coverage
This defense doesn't phase Justin Hebert.
He put up 47 last year vs Woods defense.
The Chargers get back TE Donald Parham. He is a huge
Target at 6'8. Huge match-up issue for the Browns LBers.

You say the Browns have "playmakers"...well they have
Very few. Chubb Hunt Njoku sometimes and Cooper sometimes.
That's it...the Chargers have more and the better QB..

Last edited by Iluvmyxstripper; 10/07/22 10:43 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This would really help w/keys to the game.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
In many ways Clowney is the key to run defense.

He does so much. Very physical player. Loops inside, set the edge, chases down the line, and applies pressure.

He has never been a high sack guy but he gets hurries.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

John Johnson III: Browns will ‘get torched’ by Justin Herbert and Chargers if they’re not locked in

BEREA, Ohio — John Johnson III knows that if the Browns have gotten burned by their first four opponents, the Chargers can go scorched earth on them.

“They’re No. 1 in passing, so if there’s a game that you’ve got to get up for and be locked in for, it’s this one,” Johnson said Wednesday. “That’s the emphasis for our room especially. We’ve had some flashes of good things, but I think each and every play we’ve got to be locked in or we’re going to get torched because they’ve been doing it to anybody dating back to last year too. If there’s a game that we need our best effort from the secondary, it’s this one.”

The Chargers, led by quarterback Justin Herbert, are No. 1 in the NFL with 307.3 passing yards per game. Herbert is No. 1 with 1,250 passing yards and fifth with nine TD passes. The Browns, meanwhile, are last in the NFL with 12.5 points allowed in the fourth quarter, including 17 points each against the Jets and Panthers, and 13 against the Falcons.

In three of their four games, they’ve given up huge plays in the fourth quarter, including a 75-yard TD pass by Baker Mayfield in the victory over Carolina, the 66-yard pass by Joe Flacco to Corey Davis in the loss to the Jets, and the 42-yard pass to Olamide Zaccheaus in Sunday’s 23-20 loss to the Falcons. The Browns also surrendered a 42-yard run in the final quarter in Atlanta.

“Yeah we’re pretty bad in fourth quarter right now,” Grant Delpit said. “That’s not what great teams do.”

His solution?

“Just staying locked in for 60 minutes and having that killer mentality,” Delpit said. “We have a standard to uphold to be a top-half, No. 1 defense. We’ve got to stick together and play four quarters.”

Unlike the 75-yarder to Robbie Anderson in Week 1 and the 66-yarder to Davis is Week 2, the 42-yard pass to Zaccheaus wasn’t a busted coverage. The Browns were in Cover 3, two players bit on the fake, and Marcus Mariota extended the play and found a gaping hole in the zone.

“That wasn’t really communication, that was just like a technique issue,” said Johnson. “We have a progression on defense as well and that was a long, drawn out play and we just lost the guy, he got lost, we didn’t get eyes to him and he ended up wide open, so it wasn’t really a communication thing, it was just like Mariota made something happen and we just lost a guy. It’s something we can easily fix, but it can’t happen.”

He explained, “It was like a two-man route, so we’ve got to find the guy that was missing. He snuck behind the linebackers and we’ve just got to find him.”

The Browns will have to have eyes in the back of their heads against the likes of Herbert, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen and dual-threat back Austin Ekeler, who leads the team with 27 receptions for 188 yards and a TD. Herbert, playing with torn rib cartilage the past few weeks, has thrown passes of 42, 45, 50 and 54 yards. Last season, the Browns lost a 47-42 shootout in L.A.

“They get paid, too,” Johnson said. “They’re going to make some plays, but the moments in the game that we give these plays up can’t happen. It’s a game-winning drive or to ice the game or the previous games, for a team to come back on us, I think it’s just the moment in the game where we can’t give those up, but like you said, they’re going to make plays but certain moments we’ve got to tighten up and put teams away.”

They know that Herbert, No. 5 in the NFL with a 102.2 rating, is a cut above the guys they’ve faced so far in Mayfield, Flacco, Mitch Trubisky and Mariota.

“He has all the physical traits of a great quarterback,” Johnson said. “I’ve said this before, you look at him behind the center, he’s like 6-9 behind the center, he’s just a big-armed physical guy, but I think his coaches put him in a good position to make plays. They’re not going to ask of him something that he can’t do and he’s just been taking advantage of it, but I think his physical presence has helped him out a lot.”

Delpit, for one, is eager to get his good buddy Greedy Williams back, possibly this Sunday. In last year’s loss to the Chargers, Williams led the team with 10 tackles, forced a fumble and broke up a pass.

“It’ll be good. That’s my dude, man. I’m happy for him coming off an injury. I know that’s tough. Nobody wants to be hurt and everybody wants to be on the field so it’s going to be good for him to be back out there with his brothers and he had a good game against the Chargers last year so hopefully he can pick up where he left off.”

He also loved the sight of Myles Garrett (shoulder, biceps) back in practice Wednesday after his crash last week, and is hoping Jadeveon Clowney (ankle) joins him on Thursday.

“We missed them,” Delpit said. “It’s supposed to be next man up. They’re two great players, you know, been All-Pros, Pro Bowls, all-world players so of course we’re gonna miss them but young guys gotta step up.”

They know if they don’t, Herbert will be on fire.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...FkRTJECq1DLSS37lh4kZVIeW-KVe2WyI5aSEmJTo

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
if herbert stays under 300 yards, consider it a win for the defense.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
On the Injury Report thread, Milk posted that Keenan Allen is out again this week. That's significant.

Legend
Legend
On the Injury Report thread, Milk posted that Keenan Allen is out again this week. That's significant.

is it?

man im sorry DT but ive lost all faith in this defense and their ability to take advantage of weaknesses.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't like this matchup. This is by far the best team that we've played this year. - And we're 2-2 against 4 of the worst teams in the league. Chargers 31 Browns 9.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed and historically we don't do well against the Chargers 9-18 lifetime.

Legend
Legend
And we’ve had some heartbreaking loss to the chargers too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh, Their run D is not good? I hope we have the rushing attack that can exploit it. wink

Oh, we do?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Last years game I think made it painfully obvious that we did not have our franchise QB.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Oh, Their run D is not good? I hope we have the rushing attack that can exploit it. wink

Oh, we do?

True. But that nevers seems to help our cause on game days. Their whole game plan will be to attempt to shutdown Chunt.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Last years game I think made it painfully obvious that we did not have our franchise QB.

I really dont wish to get into a BM debate only one thing.

Same QB but last year he played considerably hurt. Is it not true that the year before the last time we beat the Chargers it was a high scoring game, I'm just guessing would that not need a franchise looking QB to win out in one of those???
But thank you for proving my point over the difference of his healthy play and then his injured play. we got 2020 win? and Last years loss?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Really glad to hear that Clowney will likely play.

He is very important for our chances in this game.

This will be a super hard challenge for the secondary. If we can not generate a pass rush we are doomed. Clowney and Myles are the key to put pass rush.

In addition they help a lot in run defense. Our tackles are not good. Playing subs at DE puts the defense in a no win situation.

The offense is better than expected. It is the defense that will have to play better to gives a chance.

Herbert is a fine young qb. He sees the field. Makes good decisions. Throws with anticipation. He is also really accurate.
We have to make him uncomfortable. Make him throw before he wants to.

On offense once again time of possession is key. Move the chains. Stay ahead of downs. Keep third down manageable.

We can win this game but we have to play well to pull it off.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This would really help.

T
Legend
Legend
T
You would want to see a really well coached game. One where the Browns don't make any objectionable decisions during the game that negatively effect the outcome.
err.

Let's hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot again.

since they traded 3 first round picks and 230 million dollars for Jacoby (**) Brisset
I just can't with this team. 0-I2, I2-0 same difference

I'm not getting my hopes up and down with this team if they continue to ask me to put up with
Jacoby freaking Brisset at @uarterback.

It's uncong..enable? untenable? all of that <, good luck with your gameday. I don't even really think Watson is any good/ very good either.

still feel stabbed in the back, mocked, and hoodwinked, by the team, the league, and the team owners
so there is that.

??? % chance the Browns win today? Who or what can Heimlich them away from choking away a 4th game out of 5?
the only one they didn't was the stiller game who were actually worse.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Oh, we do?
I never thought I'd see the Browns lose a game with
I50 - 200- 250- or more yards rushing
But somewhere in the last 2-3 years with analytics running the show I've seen it.
Don't remember off hand.

But I now know K. sTefanski knows how to do it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
This game will tell us everything. If we win, it will mean that despite the two stupid losses, we really can play with anyone. If we get clobbered, it will be time to abandon hope for this season.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I get that you hate the Browns, but why do you have to hijack this thread? It's supposed to be about match-ups. I put a lot of damn work into making this thread to ensure my facts are correct. The thread is designed to promote football conversation. Real football conversation. And most of the thread is about trashing the team or trying to deter the conversation to about one's feelings of betrayal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by eotab
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

I really dont wish to get into a BM debate only one thing.

Same QB but last year he played considerably hurt. Is it not true that the year before the last time we beat the Chargers it was a high scoring game, I'm just guessing would that not need a franchise looking QB to win out in one of those???
But thank you for proving my point over the difference of his healthy play and then his injured play. we got 2020 win? and Last years loss?

willynilly

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I get that you hate the Browns, but why do you have to hijack this thread? It's supposed to be about match-ups. I put a lot of damn work into making this thread to ensure my facts are correct. The thread is designed to promote football conversation. Real football conversation. And most of the thread is about trashing the team or trying to deter the conversation to about one's feelings of betrayal.

Just. Stop.

Stop the gibberish about "putting work in", "more work than the I get in return"; when people don't respond the way you want. People can post whatever they want to. They don't have to conform to your constant "rules" for how opinions should work. I can promise you people are much more tired of reading your constant whining. As for the last poster you belittled. Put him on ignore if you don't like the way he feels about the team. Posting an opinion is not hijacking a thread. Furthermore, if the thread is "too much work", don't post it.

You really need to start your own message board. I'm sure it would be a huge success. You could make point after point, everyone could agree with you and call you smart, life would be so much better. You seem miserable here, you need to start searching for an answer before you drive yourself to drink.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

Just. Stop.

Stop the gibberish about "putting work in", "more work than the I get in return"; when people don't respond the way you want. People can post whatever they want to. They don't have to conform to your constant "rules" for how opinions should work. I can promise you people are much more tired of reading your constant whining. As for the last poster you belittled. Put him on ignore if you don't like the way he feels about the team. Posting an opinion is not hijacking a thread. Furthermore, if the thread is "too much work", don't post it.

You really need to start your own message board. I'm sure it would be a huge success. You could make point after point, everyone could agree with you and call you smart, life would be so much better. You seem miserable here, you need to start searching for an answer before you drive yourself to drink.

There's never been a more accurate post.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Cmon D

Legend
Legend
Ekeler is a problem

Legend
Legend
Delpit does more harm than good

Legend
Legend
JOK killed us there

Legend
Legend
Why are we playing so far deep

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Chargers 30 Browns vs Chargers Matchup

Link Copied to Clipboard