Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sue I get this trade. From the little I know about Manzardo, this trade doesn't seem to help us this year nor does it provide significant upside in the future.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Decent prospect. No help this year.

??????????????????????

Legend
Legend
seems like the Guards are punting. So dumb

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The only thing I can figure is that they really like their young pitching, and they feel that Civale will break down again this season, and might as well get something for him.

However, getting back a broken down player in return seems a lot like settling.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Love of a prospect and fear of injury was behind the Guardians trading Aaron Civale – Terry Pluto - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/guardians...ns-trading-aaron-civale-terry-pluto.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Guarrdians traded Aaron Civale to Tampa Bay for minor league first baseman Kyle Manzardo:

1 When the trade was announced, I wondered, “They got this kid Manzardo and who else?” I was hoping for a haul like Cleveland did when trading Mike Clevinger to San Diego. That deal brought Josh Naylor, Cal Quantrill, Owen Miller, Austin Hedges, Gabriel Arias and prospect Joey Cantillo to Cleveland.

2 But it’s Manzardo for Civale, straight up. I had been hearing Cleveland was open to trading its only healthy and effective starting pitcher for that reason – Civale is finally healthy. He has been on the disabled list five times since 2021. That’s five times in 2½ seasons, including nearly two months this year with an oblique strain.

3 As the Guardians talked trade, Civale’s value wasn’t what they’d hoped. According to the Guardians media guide, his injuries included a “right middle finger strain” … “left glute tightness” … “right wrist strain” … “right forearm inflammation.” Then the oblique problem this year.

4 Part of me wonders what would have happened if Shane Bieber had stayed healthy. Tampa Bay was shopping for an experienced starting pitcher. This trade shows the Guardians absolutely love Manzardo, who is ranked as the No. 37 overall prospect by MLB Pipeline. That could have been the Clevinger-type trade, starting with Manzardo and adding others. But Bieber went on the injured list with elbow problems. He’ll be out at least until the middle of September.

5 This is a tough trade for the current coaching staff and roster. Manzardo is on the injured list in Class AAA with a shoulder strain. It sounds like he’ll be out for a while, and probably not see the Majors until 2024. This trade hurt the short-term quest for the playoffs in 2023.

6 President Chris Antonetti hinted at other moves to come, possibly to bring in another starting pitcher. The trade deadline is 6 p.m. Tuesday. We’ll see.

7 As for Manzardo, the lefty hitter “comes at a steep cost,” according to Antonetti. Civale won’t be a free agent until after the 2025 season. Other than the fear of injury, there was no rush to trade him. The driving force appears to be a chance to acquire Manzardo. Antonetti admitted the team needs hitters at the upper end of the farm system.

8 Baseball America wrote this about Manzardo: “He emerged as one of the breakout prospects of 2022 when he hit .327/.426/.617 with 22 home runs and 81 RBIs in 93 games while climbing to Class AA. He’s come back down to earth some this year as his weaknesses have been exposed by advanced pitchers in Class AAA. He hit just .238/.342/.442 with 11 home runs and 38 RBIs in 73 games at Class AAA Durham while failing to make the quality of contact expected of a top first base prospect. At his best, Manzardo has exceptional strike-zone discipline and swing decisions. He avoids chasing out of the zone and sprays line drives around the park. He has the raw ingredients to be an above-average hitter, but he has struggled badly against lefties this season (.148/.262/.273) to create platoon concerns. Manzardo has just above-average raw power, which sits on the low end for a first baseman, and will have to prove he can get to it against high-end pitching.”

9 Baseball America didn’t like him. I do think a .784 OPS is good for a 23-year-old in Class AAA, where the average age is 26. His 2022 season was his first full year of pro ball. He batted .327 (1.036 OPS) with 22 HR and 81 RBI in 93 games at the Class A and AA levels. The Guardians have no one in the farm system with those type of stats.

10 I don’t know these prospects well enough to have a strong opinion. In general, I trust the Guardians on deals like this. Finding prospects in trades has been their speciality. Even this season in his first taste of Class AAA, Manzardo had 30 extra-base hits (19 doubles and 11 homers) with 11 HR and 38 RBI in 73 games, batting .238 (.784 OPS).

11 As one MLB source mentioned, “Who would have thought Civale would bring a top-50 MLB prospect at the start of the season?” It’s a fair question. Manzardo zoomed up to Class AAA after only 106 games at the lower levels. He was a first team All-American at Washington State. He’s always hit.

12 This is a wait-and-see trade. Wait and see if Civale stays healthy. Wait and see if Manzardo turns into the hitter the Guardians project. Wait and see what the Guardians do for another starting pitcher. So we wait ... and see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
The article clarifies the picture.

My problem was understanding "their plan."

I do not profess to know the organization in totality. What I know is they have a good farm system. The roster is weak offensively.
They have lots of good young pitching talent.

I thought they would leverage the farm talent to secure some offense. Now it seems clear their plan is. "We are not ready yet."

Trades now can be expensive. It is a seller's market. They love this young first baseman. He will play next year.

This off season maybe they will make some moves to really try and win.

B
Legend
Legend
B
As you said, it's a sellers market. Civale is at his height in value. The guy is a #3 pitcher IMO. Maybe a #2 in a good year. Add in his propensity to get hurt...not the bad injuries, just the nagging things and it makes sense to me.

We picked up a top prospect. The guy in known for hitting. We need hitters, so we went and got one.

No, he won't help this year. Maybe any year, but Civale wasn't either.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought Civale's ceiling was a #3 starter in a rotation that was healthy.

This team, even if it wins the crappy Central, is most likely going nowhere significant in the playoffs. We know it (even if some don't want to admit it) and the Guardians FO knows it. We've seen Civale for a handful of years and he has plateaued as a pitcher, and adding in the injuries, I don't think this team expected to see more growth as a pitcher. He is what he is at this point.

There are a bevy of young pitchers in the bigs right now- McKenzie, Bibee, Williams, & Allen. I'm guessing the Guardians would like to give them more innings through the end of the year. We also have young prospects like Espino and Cantillo (maybe?). If Quantrill wasn't injured, I'm guessing he would be on the trade block too or flat our DFA'd. I think they've seen enough of him and know what he is. A #4/#5 pitcher with no upside.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
When you are basically tied for first. It is a hard pill to swallow.

But reality is no matter their position in the division. They are a .500 team.

Runs scored and runs given up is a telling stat. The Guardians are +2. That equals a .500 and second place.

The Braves are +148 with the best record in baseball. That is a big gap.

So, looking at the big picture. The Guardians are being honest.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c…

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Darn that's alot of dead money for a penny pinching front office
To take on. Can someone explain to me the love
Affair Francona has for Myles Straw?
He is a automatic out in the lineup

B
Legend
Legend
B
All I can say for Straw is centerfield is one of those defense first positions.

In most cases you can find someone who can do both to an acceptable level, but if not, the defensive ability is usually going to be the determining factor.

I know that isn't the answer you or others want to hear, but that's how it works.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
All I can say for Straw is centerfield is one of those defense first positions.

In most cases you can find someone who can do both to an acceptable level, but if not, the defensive ability is usually going to be the determining factor.

I know that isn't the answer you or others want to hear, but that's how it works.
I grew playing baseball and watching alot of baseball
Namely the Braves and the National League.
If a team has solid power hitters 3 to 5 then yeah ok
You can get away with a banjo hitting CF.
But at least when I was a student of the game
You had guys that could bunt their way on base or beat
Out infield hits routinely.
Miles Straw rarely draws walks or try to bunt his way on.
The Guardians have one legit power hitter.
In that case you need guys that can get on base
Anyway possible.
There is a reason why the Astros happily gave up
On Straw.
Straw at best is a late inning defensive replacement.

Legend
Legend
After the deadline passed the GM for the Braves was interviewed during the Angels game last night.

He was really interesting and transparent. He made an interesting comment about post season play.

I will paraphrase.

In post season play you face the best pitchers of playoff teams and stacked relievers. It is very difficult to string together base hits to score.

The name of the game is to hit the ball into the seats.

The Braves this year have hit 204 home runs in 105 games. They are on a pace to blow past the record for team home runs in a season.

You want to be able to win games with pitching. But you will need to win games 8-6 by outscoring you opponent also.

Analytics dominate baseball. They show you need power in today's game.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
After the deadline passed the GM for the Braves was interviewed during the Angels game last night.

He was really interesting and transparent. He made an interesting comment about post season play.

I will paraphrase.

In post season play you face the best pitchers of playoff teams and stacked relievers. It is very difficult to string together base hits to score.

The name of the game is to hit the ball into the seats.

The Braves this year have hit 204 home runs in 105 games. They are on a pace to blow past the record for team home runs in a season.

You want to be able to win games with pitching. But you will need to win games 8-6 by outscoring you opponent also.

Analytics dominate baseball. They show you need power in today's game.

Exactly. A lineup of 5 of 8 hitters that can put the ball in
The seats is so hard to beat.
I remember those Braves Teams with Justice , Gant ,McGriff, Jones, Lopez
Were so lethal. Then they had solid contact hitters like
Pendleton and Lemke....
The Guardians last year was a anomaly
You can't sustain success with punch and Judy hitters.
The Guards remind me of the Cards teams with Whitey Herzog.
Minus the bases telling. 1 power hitter in the whole lineup.

Legend
Legend
Crime dog was in the both as well. He was honored for being selected into the Hall.

He was talking about how today swings have been altered to hit the long ball.

I have never seen a team go deep like the Braves this year. Batters one through nine are deep threats.

Seven positions have over 20 HR's to date. The other two SS and CF both missed time and have 11 apiece.

They average very close to two per game.

Some don't like the long ball. Myself, I like it. I like offense. I like games that go back and forth. That does not mean I don't like a good pitching dual. I do. Overall with the rule changes baseball is better than ever. I would like to see a digital strike zone.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I would love digital strikezone. It’s hard to watch sometimes because of the strikezone. Not just for the Guards (even though I feel our rookies are getting squeezed) but I tune into alot of games and it just isn’t consistent. One team pitches and gets no calls, the other team pitches and gets the calls the other team wasn’t.

I think it was cheaper to take on Segura’s money than Bell picking up his player option for next season. Manzardo the 1B we got from TB, was rated the prospect traded for at the deadline.

Anyone watch us get no-hit last? I told the wife after after the 2nd, we were getting no-hit. No plate discipline, swinging at everything. Was 1 pitch away from a perfect game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
We really need a change in ownership and FO.. This team is stuck and is just unwatchable. Bad drafts, worse farm management and non existant FA and trade deadline moves. I don't want to hear the BS about market, plenty of money to be able to do more than we have. Can't blame attendance anymore as its picked up the last couple years.. so whats Dolan's excuse now. The adage you have to spend money to make money holds true in professional sports.. want people to come out and spend money on seats and merchandise...give us a reason.. Only player I like on this team is Jram... rest are JAGS

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
After missing 3 months with a forearm strain Max Fried returned to pitch against the hot Cubs.

He went 6 innings no runs. Three weak groundball singles. He was outstanding.

The continue to hit bombs win 8-0.

The first team to win seventy games. 70-37.

I see them winning 110 games.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

Hammy’s call

2 members like this: Tackman, Milk Man
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The Guardians immediately playing the "Jose, Joseeeeee....." music is an all timer, lol.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I'm dead. 🤣

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...why watch baseball when I can get all the good stuff on Twitter?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
AP writer Tom Withers said the stadium speakers were playing "Ring My Bell" during batting practice.

Savages.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Ok. I'll keep piling on.....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
The worst part for that clown Anderson is that he got clobbered while another White Sox player was putting a headlock on Jose. rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
When do Bieber and McKenzie come back?

Beiber
McKenzie
Williams
Bibee
Allen/The Viking

A solid rotation with a offense that needs to take it up a notch...or ten.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
manny ramirez jr, dangelo ortiz, and jaden sheffield

Wow...

Last edited by The Collector; 08/15/23 07:20 PM.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
When do Bieber and McKenzie come back?

Beiber
McKenzie
Williams
Bibee
Allen/The Viking

A solid rotation with a offense that needs to take it up a notch...or ten.

I think Bieber possibly mid-sept if we are close. They are still trying to figure out if McKenzie needs tommy john surgery, I don’t think he plays til 2025.

Next year here’s what I think:

1. Williams
2. Bibee
3. Allen
4. Syndergaard
5. Cantillo, Espino, or another rookie I don’t know about.

1. Kwan. LF
2. Gimenez 2B
3. Ramirez 3B
4. J Naylor 1B/DH
5. Jonathan Rodriquez RF, with Noel in the wings.
6. Manzardo 1B/DH
7. B Naylor C
8. Arias, Freeman, Rocchio, Tena SS or another SS I’m forgetting
9. G Valera CF

I think in the offseason we trade Bieber, Straw, and Gonzalez.

Legend
Legend
Matt Olson has 43 home runs. You could take him off the Braves and they would still lead baseball in home runs.

They will set the home run record most likely. If you combine their two catchers Sean Murphy and Travis d'Arnaud who split time.

They will have six positions hitting over 30 home runs.

I have never seen a team destroy other teams pitching staffs like the Braves. They average 5.88 runs per game.

They will be the favorites to win the World Series and rightfully so.

But in the post season baseball can be cruel and anything goes. The 95 Indians had an offense like these Braves.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The Guardians 2.0

Link Copied to Clipboard