Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Nothing in the average Americans data threatens national security.

Au contraire mon frère. National Security would be exactly something like allowing millions of citizens to have their electronic data taken from them or used improperly.

Examples:
There is a point between when someone enters a new password in a text field as plain text... before it is submitted to be hashed and stored in a database where it can be printed and captured as plain text whcih can be stored in a database. I would not put this past the Chinese Gov't to do this. This still passes the data security check because... the data is stored hashed and it only take a few lines of code to capture the data. *This is another reason we are moving to 2FA, 2-step, or multi-factor.*

The other is that algos are able to guess a user's password with high success rates. Last I read up on the topic... it was about 75% https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9209690 (guess where all of the authors are from)

The last reason is people are lazy and don't change their passwords or are unimaginative and reuse the same 5-10 passwords over and over again.

The biggest concern I have is the amount of people who have access to sensitive or biometric data is mind-blowing. About 20-25 million US citizens have access to this data in one shape or another. If you get the right people you can access 200+ million people's information either by stitching or parsing data.

Not to be rude... I can promise that you are very much out of your depths when it comes to these conversations around AI/data collection/storage and accessing it.

What Tik Tok is doing needs to be stopped ASAP.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
and there is this kind of stuff that is also happening at the same time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...mp;cvid=712bfd1684e04e70a5cc7aadfede8be5

China publicly gets closer to Russia despite war
Despite all of Russia's missteps in Ukraine, China is standing firmly behind the Kremlin and pushing further from the U.S.

Chinese Foreign Minister [censored] Yi said his country would “deepen strategic mutual trust and mutually beneficial cooperation” with Russia a week after warships from the two countries held joint naval drills in the East China Sea.

[censored] also defended China's refusal to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine and join in the sanctions imposed by the U.S. and EU, which has led to a growing distancing from China by much of Europe. He blamed the U.S. for the deteriorating relationship between the world’s two largest economies.

Legend
Legend
Like all evil empires they blame the rest of the free world on their violent encroachment and inflicted atrocities.Nothing new here.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
I repeat, most things in every day Americans information threaten the national security of The United States.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I repeat, most things in every day Americans information threaten the national security of The United States.

Really? I would think the opposite but what do I know.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, that was a brain fart of epic proportions. lol I meant the exact opposite.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, that was a brain fart of epic proportions. lol I meant the exact opposite.

Lol thought so bro.

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A

I disagree. When your banking info, passwords, etc, are stolen due to tiktok, yeah, it CAN threaten the national security.

I'm not concerned with the chinese knowing where I was at any given time. I'm concerned about about the information they glean from taking all the info off your phone.

Keep in mind, I was gone for a few days, and I read Blowback, by James Patterson. (heck of a good book. Some 500 pages, took a day and a half to read, while spending time with family, skiing, etc. I know it's a book - but dang - read it.)

O
Legend
Legend
O
Doesn't quite work like that arch. Not saying if they hacked your phone that, they couldn't take info, but the app itself can not get anything except maybe contacts,

A
Legend
Legend
A
That's not how I understood it. But oh well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Your OS won't allow apps to just randomly take info off your phone unless you've consented. But if somebody hacks your phone, they usually get admin user privileges and can take anything.

F
Legend
Legend
F
OCD is correct. Each app is it's own ecosystem, and need explicit permission from the User during install to access other data, but only OS data (Contacts, Calendar, etc) to interact with device features.

In recent years, on Android at least, it has gotten very restrictive what an app creator can access, and they all come with permission pop ups.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hope the explanations from OCD and Florida helped explain how this works. And maybe even Super got something out of it. Maybe he was out of his depth when discussing things like this.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
They’re too involved in reading political fiction that meets their agenda, then how things really work.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I hope the explanations from OCD and Florida helped explain how this works. And maybe even Super got something out of it. Maybe he was out of his depth when discussing things like this.

Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Your OS won't allow apps to just randomly take info off your phone unless you've consented. But if somebody hacks your phone, they usually get admin user privileges and can take anything.

Originally Posted by FloridaFan
OCD is correct. Each app is it's own ecosystem, and need explicit permission from the User during install to access other data, but only OS data (Contacts, Calendar, etc) to interact with device features.

In recent years, on Android at least, it has gotten very restrictive what an app creator can access, and they all come with permission pop ups.

somewhat inaccurate.

you can give a general "I consent" without knowing exactly what you are consenting to. 99.999% of people do not read every single description of what they are consenting.

People do it all the time with apps.

You can consent to browser access, contacts, calendars, files, etc

If you consent to browser access they can capture everything they would ever need.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
somewhat inaccurate.

you can give a general "I consent" without knowing exactly what you are consenting to. 99.999% of people do not read every single description of what they are consenting.

If you consent to browser access they can capture everything they would ever need.

Is there any such consent request for such a thing on Tic Tok? That may be a very pertinent piece of information for this thread.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
somewhat inaccurate.

Is there any such consent request for such a thing on Tic Tok? That may be a very pertinent piece of information for this thread.

Yes. It's on install.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

This is extremely inaccurate.

Here is an example of a hack that just happened today.

https://news.yahoo.com/delete-popular-task-manager-app-195317442.html

A
Legend
Legend
A
If you have the app, the app has the ability to do what it wants. I hope you understand that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In general application silos in mobile OSes are much like locks on your house. They may defeat bad thieves, but they aren't as effective against more sophisticated attacks. China is a known state level actor that uses multiple techniques to compromise systems. If they have direct access to the TikTok code that gets installed on devices it would not surprise me one bit thy can use that as a viable attack surface and break out of the silo to compromise other data.

E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O

somewhat inaccurate.

No, they can't! Every website you go to most certainly does NOT have the ability to access important files on your PC or mobile device. I'm not going to let a site like this access my encrypted password files, financial accounts, etc. A system that didn't, at a minimum, defend against that silliness would be totally useless to anyone using a PC for business or personal finance. Apps can access their own data, files the owner gives admin rights to the app to open, and allows the app to control parts of the PC like the camera. They can not just log in and surf your PC. It doesn't work like that, and I'm shocked you don't understand this.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

somewhat inaccurate.

No, they can't! Every website you go to most certainly does NOT have the ability to access important files on your PC or mobile device. I'm not going to let a site like this access my encrypted password files, financial accounts, etc. A system that didn't, at a minimum, defend against that silliness would be totally useless to anyone using a PC for business or personal finance. Apps can access their own data, files the owner gives admin rights to the app to open, and allows the app to control parts of the PC like the camera. They can not just log in and surf your PC. It doesn't work like that, and I'm shocked you don't understand this.

Yes they can capture keystrokes and the password prior to submission to be stored in hashed format.
This is the basis of how a website knows if you met all of the criteria with numerical or symbols and legnth.

When you click "I Accept", you grant whatever permissions the app is requesting.
*no one else reads the fine print what the app is actually getting access to.

I'd bet a lot of money I understand how this stuff works better than almost everone, if not everone on this board.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Smh. Okay, man, you know what you know. We can all see that.

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, is tik tok safe, or not?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Not with any data they do collect. I'll watch their videos online with all my protection running. But I wouldn't want to give them anything more than an email. I would even pass on any security questions or use very unique answers.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Of course I do... it's literally my job.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

Personally, I would never download it and I I hope it gets removed from the playstores.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Well the TODO: Day Manager app was not on the play store, you had to manually install it after downloading from a third-party site.

If someone is doing that without understanding the consequences, they put themselves in that position.

I had to take down one of our company apps, from the play store, because google was making it more and more difficult to collect device data to ensure our company apps worked as intended. I moved them all to web-based and everyone is much happier, and we have less issues.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
O
Legend
Legend
O

Did I forget the purple? You are clueless when it comes to computer security. CLUELESS.

Not trying to be mean; I just didn't want to be the reason the prince of Nigeria gets your money.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Did I forget the purple? You are clueless when it comes to computer security. CLUELESS.

Not trying to be mean; I just didn't want to be the reason the prince of Nigeria gets your money.

Lmao. I am responsible for building and optimizing AI, databases & connections, plugin/app builds, website builds and and updates, and data encryption/security.... among other things.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
[quote=FloridaFan]Well the TODO: Day Manager app was not on the play store, you had to manually install it after downloading from a third-party site.
/quote]

Not sure if it was or was not ever in it. Regardless, this happens quite often if it is in the playstores or not.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Lmao. I am responsible for building and optimizing AI, databases & connections, plugin/app builds, website builds and and updates, and data encryption/security.... among other things.

OMG He's a rare thing. He's a software developer! Nobody else has that job. Dont tell India.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
Then you might want to learn about app security and what they can and can't do. Stop wasting my time correcting the misinformation that you are putting out. Find a single coder that agrees with what you are saying, then we can argue.

This should help for a start:

https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/facts/online-privacy/protect-your-computer

O
Legend
Legend
O
Sounds like an IT gig.

I bet Microsoft, Google, and Apple were all shocked to find out that the millions, if not billions, invested in their OS security was a complete waste and any 500lb guy on his bed can hack your banking, passwords, and personal files and reduce you to poverty by getting you to download Fatman's angry birds. Somebody has no clue.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/02/23 09:25 PM.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Then you might want to learn about app security and what they can and can't do. Stop wasting my time correcting the misinformation that you are putting out. Find a single coder that agrees with what you are saying, then we can argue.

This should help for a start:

https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/facts/online-privacy/protect-your-computer

You have no clue what you are taking about.

There are hundreds of keystroke tracker and loggers out there

https://www.spyrix.com/en/spyrix-free-keylogger.php

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Oldcal
Sounds like an IT gig.

I bet Microsoft, Google, and Apple were all shocked to find out that the millions, if not billions, invested in their OS security was a complete waste and any 500lb guy on his bed can hack your banking, passwords, and personal files and reduce you to poverty by getting you to download Fatman's angry birds. Somebody has no clue.

I find it odd you are a subconscious fat shaming sexist.

On topic:

1. Tik Tok is not some person. It is an app millions of Americans are granting access to their personal devices that is accessie by the Chineese Goverment.... not an individual on their bed.
2. Us citizens are granting the Tik Tik app acess to their devices. So... they (Chinese govt) doesn't need to hack to get permission. They already have it.
3. Tik Tok standard access includes real time location, IP biometrics, contacts, calendars, camera, other app info, browser/cookies. Plus...any potential tracking software similar to the one I shared above.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2022/07/tiktok-app-phone-access/
4. It doesn't take much before you can lose everything because you granted an app access to your device.
5. You really don't even know or understand what you are saying. Please stop.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We already acknowledged that the app could control device functions like the camera. This is still not access to encrypted files. And "fat guy on a bed" is a Trump reference.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hopefully someone won't come along and say that since you didn't spell that out in detail in your first post that it doesn't mean anything. That just because they didn't comprehend the inference means it wasn't there. It could happen.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

https://english.elpais.com/usa/2023...olitical-battle-against-chinese-app.html

Weeks earlier, in an opinion piece in The Washington Post signed with Congressman Mike Gallagher (Wisconsin), Rubio wrote: “The app can track cellphone users’ locations and collect internet-browsing data – even when users are visiting unrelated websites.” “That TikTok, and by extension the CCP, has the ability to survey every keystroke teenagers* enter on their phones is disturbing,” the two lawmakers wrote, pointing out that China’s 2017 National Intelligence Law requires organizations and citizens to “support, assist and cooperate with state intelligence work.”

*all ages not just teenagers keystrokes can be recorded*

Again... I implore you to stop spreading misinformation.

I don't know how else to tell you that I know what I am talking about on this topic.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus TikTok Parent ByteDance Planned To Use TikTok To Monitor The Physical Location Of Specific American Citizens

Link Copied to Clipboard