Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Legend
Legend
E
If you get a smart tv it probably has a built in antenna (mine does) It gets tons of channels I never watch because I dont like the interface.

No Craps Given
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Cleats
Originally Posted by jaybird
I have DirectTV mainly for Sunday Ticket... but I also like having general cable and frequently will stream the DirectTV app when traveling...

also have a few streaming services...

I've been with DirectTV a very long time because of the Sunday ticket. It's they only way I can watch my Browns. I live in rural western Pa. and they don't run cable out my way so I depend on satellite for my internet too. I have no idea what I'm going to do when DTV drops the Sunday ticket.

How far west? You can get up to 70 miles from a HDTV antenna... about $80 - $150.

This site will let you put in a zip code and check the range of their products...

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

EDIT: to say -- Youngstown stations very often have the Browns games.

I'm about 50 miles from Younsgtown (as the crow flies). My neighbors tried a similar antenna with no luck, sent it back. The rep said we were in too mountainous area, tree's everywhere and something about the HDTV waves and how hilly areas effect them.
Relatives in Youngstown say they often don't get Browns games...the city is split with Steeler fans...thanks anyway.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Frenchy
I watch using a streaming service called Eyestream. Had it over 2+ years.

I ditched them and went with the group that left Eyestream. We have MUCH better service now. It's great, though, to watch anything you want wherever you are.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Is Eyestream still alive? Can't find it on Roku. Fed up with YTTV's restrictions and constantly (over the past two weeks) telling me I'm out of my viewing area. It would be different if there was a reasonable fix that didn't involve resetting location on multiple devices. Now that is not even working and I'm locked out of my TV.

I'm reading now that a VPN won't even work... they want to read your GPS on a mobile device. Tired of giving one of the most corrupt corps in the history of mankind my money anyway.

Anybody with any suggestions, tips, reliable services for IPTV -- I'd appreciate it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Eyestream no longer works with Roku. I stopped them at that time, about a year ago. I can't find anything recent about them on a google search either. Their website has always been weird and outdated. BUT, when I had it, it was wonderful. You could get just about any live channel out there, including all major sporting events and PPV. Maybe Frenchy will chime in here.

https://www.eyestreamtv.net/streaming-devices[/url]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is Eyestream still alive? Can't find it on Roku. Fed up with YTTV's restrictions and constantly (over the past two weeks) telling me I'm out of my viewing area. It would be different if there was a reasonable fix that didn't involve resetting location on multiple devices. Now that is not even working and I'm locked out of my TV.

I'm reading now that a VPN won't even work... they want to read your GPS on a mobile device. Tired of giving one of the most corrupt corps in the history of mankind my money anyway.

Anybody with any suggestions, tips, reliable services for IPTV -- I'd appreciate it.

jfanent is right...Roku doesn't support other IPTV services. Last I tried they didn't allow side loading of third party apps. Eyestream is still around, but I'm not sure where to find them as I switched to the service that broke away from them. It has it's glitches, but for the most part it's fine. You get what you pay for at $40 a month. Due to ROKU being dolts I switched to FireCubes and sticks, although Amazon is starting to getting funny about side loading as well. The best, so I hear, is the Nvidia Shield...easiest to work with but pricey. There's also an ONN product around $20 at Walmart that works well if it works for you. I have one I loan out to people to try the streaming service before they buy. You can get a 48 hour trial from the new service and I suggest doing it over a weekend if you want to test it. You also need fairly good internet speeds. They say 100mbps+ depending on how many devices are using it.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Thanks to you both.

Did a bunch of research last night. Enough to learn, while still confusing (lol), this is a different format than your average streaming service. Nvidia Shield works better because of a faster graphics processor (Nvidia wrote the book). Many people said "don't even bother" with just a Smart TV because the processor is way too slow.

And then... the huge key is internet speed. That's fine at my home, last I checked it was pushing 450mps. Not so much at my apartment. Long story, but I worked a sweet deal, every discount possible, because "I'm only here for work". I'm capped at 50mps for under $30 per month. It's hard enough to duplicate every bill known to man by living in two locations, we try to keep costs down here.

Youtube TV has been "working on my problem" since 11:04 last night. Here's protocol: Online portal to customer support... enter your phone number. Computer initiates call to customer, puts them through a menu, puts them on hold for 10 minutes, human gets on phone, says "let me look up your account", HANGS UP ON YOU, doesn't call you back...

Now there is an online ticket saying they're "working on my problem" and no way to create another ticket. So I guess I just wait until Google deems me worthy to enjoy a service I already pay for. Fun times.

I wouldn't be so mad if I were doing something wrong. I didn't / I'm not. I've tried everything to make their channel tier system work at both locations. I've tried changing my location to "Fort Wayne", to no avail. It just reloads my Youngstown channel tier next time I log in... then tells me I'm not allowed to watch local shows (while they're live), but lets me watch from DVR them after they have aired. Very aggravating.

To finish venting. Finding a stream for the Cavs game is probably the only way to watch anyway. We were home over the weekend but hanging out with family. Went to watch the Cavs game after the fact, and the score is plastered on the screen right under the broadcast tile. We just look at each other and laugh. NEVER has that happened before. I go to the Cavs channel, "show scores" is (and has always been) turned off. Go to the NBA channel -- no option for such action. So now that we're in the playoffs, what do I do? Make a cardboard cutout to cover the bottom portion of the screen when I want to watch a game that has already started? Can't make this stuff up. Can there be a greater "spoiler" than scores of a game?? Why not just put a blurb under every movie as well... "Everybody dies except the babysitter".

I'm done. 🤣

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I still use Eyestream and it is still working just fine for me. I use a firestick and it runs fine, my internet regularly runs over 400mps consistently so I very rarely have problems.

I got a chromecast in a white elephant exchange at christmas, that I have been unable to hook up, something with the new HD model not allowing certain certain things.

Again, I’m keeping Eyestream til it goes away. For $43.99/month, I get all of my Guardians, Cavs, Browns games, and about 95% of sporting ppv’s, and all the movie channels.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
All this tech talk gives me heart palpitations. I just want to watch tv without having to learn coding for crying out loud. Lol.
Makes me kinda long for the days of my youth when I was my dad’s remote control, VHF and UHF dials were the tech (STOP CRANKING THE DIAL SO FAST… I can still hear the old man yell), and tower antennae. My dad had a rotor on his antennae. With it he could pull Detroit stations so we could watch the Tiger’s games. That was high tech.
It’s all moving so fast that you have to have an in-house Geek Squad just to do what we did more easily just a few months back.

…I’m starting to sound like an old man…

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: TTTDawg, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
All you need to do now it start yelling at the kids in your neighborhood to stay off your lawn! thumbsup

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Many parts of that post are a verbatim account of my rant to my wife last night. A lot of today's tech has me longing for the days of old. Tired of needing a tech degree to operate a remote. 🤣

2 members like this: TTTDawg, bbrowns32
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I keep the TV on a low volume all night and I Iike the soft glimmer of it too.

I did the same when I was a kid and the overnight UHF channels.

Legend
Legend
AT&T the bill's too high, they carry too many QVC-type channels, and they dropped NFL Network a few years back.
Wife lost her soap opera because it's now on Peacock. Lost a couple other shows to Paramount+.

In the end, I'm looking to find a couple streams that allow me to ala carte our programs and be able to watch them on demand.

that's kind of where we are right now.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
AT&T the bill's too high, they carry too many QVC-type channels, and they dropped NFL Network a few years back.
Wife lost her soap opera because it's now on Peacock. Lost a couple other shows to Paramount+.

In the end, I'm looking to find a couple streams that allow me to ala carte our programs and be able to watch them on demand.

that's kind of where we are right now.

I think a lot of people are in that quagmire. There are 4-5 programs you want, but they are spread over 2-3 different platforms. Cable companies have done that for years. Offer different tiers, with the "Gold" tier having that 1 program you really want, so you end up going for that even though you get another 20 channels of crap you never watch. With mine I probably have 300 channels available, probably more when you start counting all the loaded channels on the TV, and others you add, but really only watch maybe 20 with any regularity.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I've got a rant too. The Web OS platform that came with my LG smart tv just sucks a big one. It's a confusing mash of bizarre, nonsensical steps to do what you want with a weird remote whose buttons are in the most inconvenient locations. The most used buttons are also the smallest. The system has a lot of useless functions, but fewer useful features than Roku. I'm just going to plug my Roku stick in and be done with this mess. The wife and I wasted a few months giving it a fair trial and we both agree that Roku is much better in terms of user friendliness.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What year is the TV? I dont find WebOS confusing at all. I just wish it sepulcher update apps automatically instead on telling me to update when I try to launch.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com] [Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

1 member likes this: jfanent
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. You have to use this remote to do this, that remote to do that.

Maybe I am just a dumbass, but universal remote is just a concept and not a reality. I manage my way through, but dang if I need to try to explain it to my wife.

Between me telling here to take this thing and pressing that thing twice, and her two left hands, she's screwed. If I go out of town for a few days, I just tell her to leave the TV on 24 hours and use this to change the channel and volume. She can do that.

My wife is a smart woman, but damn, when working a TV remote she looks like Stephen Hawkings trying to work the controls on his chair.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I use a LogiTech Harmony remote to rule them all. I am looking for a viable replacement as Logitech has decided to get out of that space.

Legend
Legend
The Logitech Harmony was really close to "universal" but didn't fit all my needs (waaay back, probably 15 years ago).

When I married my TV to a PC and an old Pioneer stereo system (still about ten years ago) a did a bunch of research to make sure I was getting what I wanted. I bought a URC. Newer model is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Control-MX-450-Programmable-Editing/dp/B001HKLA60/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=URC&qid=1681911661&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

There was definitely a learning curve to programming macros, but it performed really well.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks, I will give it a look. The Harmony is so easy a caveman could do it. I have the one with hub and IR blasters and it works great. But it is aging.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FrankZ
I use a LogiTech Harmony remote to rule them all. I am looking for a viable replacement as Logitech has decided to get out of that space.

I don't know about that. I free;y admitted i am somewhat of a dumbass as far as tech. I blame older age, and am entering, if not there, I can blame anything I want.

I just know I have 3 remotes and all are needed for some function, depending on what function I ask another to perform. I have it down, so I am not going to screw up the system. See??...in my Jimmy Cagney impression.

Just bringing up Jimmy Cagney should clue you in that I am not a pup.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
All this tech talk gives me heart palpitations. I just want to watch tv without having to learn coding for crying out loud. Lol.
Makes me kinda long for the days of my youth when I was my dad’s remote control, VHF and UHF dials were the tech (STOP CRANKING THE DIAL SO FAST… I can still hear the old man yell), and tower antennae. My dad had a rotor on his antennae. With it he could pull Detroit stations so we could watch the Tiger’s games. That was high tech.
It’s all moving so fast that you have to have an in-house Geek Squad just to do what we did more easily just a few months back.

…I’m starting to sound like an old man…

Granted, I have internet and I use services like Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, but the vast majority of my viewing is pretty much exactly what you just described. Antenna on my roof goes to the TV. No rotor, so I can't change the positioning to get different stations, but I don't really need to. I do have a remote and no old school chunky, clunky dials, but that's about it.

It's kinda perfect. I think that if I ever feel like I need more than this, that's a sign that I am spending too much time with the TV.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I don't know about that. I free;y admitted i am somewhat of a dumbass as far as tech. I blame older age, and am entering, if not there, I can blame anything I want.

I just know I have 3 remotes and all are needed for some function, depending on what function I ask another to perform. I have it down, so I am not going to screw up the system. See??...in my Jimmy Cagney impression.

Just bringing up Jimmy Cagney should clue you in that I am not a pup.

I always blame the cats when something goes wrong.

Legend
Legend
What year is the TV? I dont find WebOS confusing at all. I just wish it sepulcher update apps automatically instead on telling me to update when I try to launch.

It's a 2023 LG OLED. Web OS defaults to that ridiculous home page of useless channels and you can't change that. Searching for and choosing apps, setting up the order and things like that take way more steps than Roku. Just using the settings is also much more complicated. Look at the home, back and guide buttons on that remote and tell me you have no problem finding those in the dark. My remote is similar, but more ergonomic. Doesn't help much because the most used buttons are just as small and poorly located. Anyone looking at those remotes will tell you which would be more user friendly....especially for 60+ year olds with fumbling fingers and old folks vision. About the only thing I like about the LG remote is the floating cursor on the screen. Another thing is that Roku itself has a decent set of programs that we watch, much better than the Web OS/LG selection of old movies that weren't even good when they came out and mediocre live programs.

I do want to say that we love the TV itself....the picture is out of this world good once we got it dialed in.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ours is a 2016. I wonder if they "improved" it in later versions.

On ours the apps are just a scroll across the bottom that you can select. Some times I have to hit the home button on the remote to get it to pop up.

Legend
Legend
My brother-in-law has a 2022 and wants to get rid of it. I tried surfing through that b.s. at his house and laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was. Wife's grandmother in Florida has a 2021, pops called from down there and said they were having problems... I told him to go to Wal-mart and buy a Roku, all is well now lol. It's just one of those UIs (to me, anyway) that would have had better results if designed by monkeys.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I have a LG smart tv. 1 remote. I only do streaming. Easy peasy.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looking at some videos of WebOS it looks like mine is not as busy as more current versions. I love when engineers "improve" things and make them worse. Symantec has done that for years.

Legend
Legend
It's like adding a cheese grater app to your cell phone -- it may be cool, but it is so unnecessary -- and the cheese is probably going to clog up your charging port.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's like adding a cheese grater app to your cell phone -- it may be cool, but it is so unnecessary -- and the cheese is probably going to clog up your charging port.

Wait.. is that only for iPhone or can Android get it as well?

Legend
Legend

Wait.. is that only for iPhone or can Android get it as well?

Android is actually easier. With iPhone you need an Android emulator and the Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter... and the cheese comes out of your earbuds. The upside is if you use Apple Beats you can grate cheddar and not just parmesan.

1 member likes this: FrankZ
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Got a Roku. It’s working great.
I also just called Direct TV and ‘threatened’ to cancel if they couldn’t lower my bill. They did. The change entirely offsets the cost of a YouTube TV subscription.
Now I’ll subscribe to that and get the Season Ticket.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I still have directv. Cost is $115 w/HBO.

I have to have Bally sports south so I can watch the Braves. Most streaming does not have it.

Youtube without subscription for NFL games is going to be $349 pre-sale. $20.52 per week.

I am going to have get the directv bill down.

Hell I don't watch much other than sports and a couple shows on History and Discovery.

I wish I could select like 10 stations and the football package.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/11/23 06:31 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
bone…
give DirectTV a call. They’re losing customers left and right over the NFL departure. They drastically cut my bill for the next 12 months. I now have 12 months to decide if YouTube TV works well enough for me to drop DirectTV next year. If I decide I don’t like YouTube TV, I’ll cancel it after the season ends. Next season I’ll repeat the stupid platform change game.
Maybe one day the NFL will do right by the fans and let us purchase ala carte. I’m not holding out hope. Until then it’s a stupid dance we’ll all have to play.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
bone…
give DirectTV a call. They’re losing customers left and right over the NFL departure. They drastically cut my bill for the next 12 months. I now have 12 months to decide if YouTube TV works well enough for me to drop DirectTV next year. If I decide I don’t like YouTube TV, I’ll cancel it after the season ends. Next season I’ll repeat the stupid platform change game.
Maybe one day the NFL will do right by the fans and let us purchase ala carte. I’m not holding out hope. Until then it’s a stupid dance we’ll all have to play.

Did they put you into a 12 month contract? Is there a termination fee now?

Legend
Legend
Thanks Port.

That is my hope as well.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
bone…

Did they put you into a 12 month contract? Is there a termination fee now?

Yes, but I’m not planning on cancelling. If I’m going to cancel a service it’ll likely be youtube tv after the nfl season ends. I can always pick it back up next May when my DTV contract ends and drop DTV then. Or maybe threaten them again with cancellation to see if they reduce my bill once more.

…What a ridiculously colossal waste of time this all is… just so we can waste time watching tv…
I hate that this is the system they’ve trapped us in.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes, but I’m not planning on cancelling. If I’m going to cancel a service it’ll likely be youtube tv after the nfl season ends. I can always pick it back up next May when my DTV contract ends and drop DTV then. Or maybe threaten them again with cancellation to see if they reduce my bill once more.

…What a ridiculously colossal waste of time this all is… just so we can waste time watching tv…
I hate that this is the system they’ve trapped us in.

Thank you. Don't look to hard or you might see the code scrolling underneath the reality.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... How do you watch TV?

Link Copied to Clipboard