Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't think you're a jerk Rish. You're entitled to your opinion like I am. I'm just saying let's give KS more time with a better QB. If it's more of the same than we can talk about a coaching change. Joe Woods and the D have had enough time IMO. Enough is enough but making a change now might not be the right time.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Here are my thoughts: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-20221113015/
Carries: Chubb 11. Hunt 6, and Brissett 7 (and that 7 includes the sneaks, and the scrambles).

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I don't think you're a jerk Rish. You're entitled to your opinion like I am. I'm just saying let's give KS more time with a better QB. If it's more of the same than we can talk about a coaching change. Joe Woods and the D have had enough time IMO. Enough is enough but making a change now might not be the right time.

If Stefanski could have kept the team .500 and been competitive in every game, I would have had no issue letting him work with DW. .500 and competitive was a reasonable expectation considering the schedule and talent on this team. But he can't even muster that. He lost to the Jets under a circumstance that hadn't happened in the last 2,222 times. Missing DW isn't the issue with this team.

Stefanski caught some lightning in a bottle year 1 when no fans were allowed in stadiums. The best game under Stefanski that year he was in his basement. He came down to earth in season 2. He started the season 3-1 and then completely fell apart. His QB did him no favors, but the same defensive issues existed last year. And this year the cycle is complete. Complete meltdown. Team plays like they don't care. This is the guy you want to work with DW?

Has he earned it? Does he deserve it?

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Here are my thoughts: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-20221113015/
Carries: Chubb 11. Hunt 6, and Brissett 7 (and that 7 includes the sneaks, and the scrambles).

There weren't many running opportunities because of the hole the defense put us in. But Stefanski could have made an executive decision to play Chubb more and Hunt less. But he doesn't want to deal with Hunt afterwards. Or he just wants to "stick to the formula".

Is that a leader?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With average QB's you would call a game differently than with a top QB.

What would you do different? Run the ball more??? Throw fewer deep passes???
Doesn't seem like that is happening. So how is he calling the game differently?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You make some valid points no doubt. But yes, I do think he deserves a shot with DW. He hasn't had much to work with at QB, but Baker did have a good year with KS and last year Baker was beat up. I'd give him a shot with DW. The season is on life support now and after next week it will be dead. After their last 2 games Buffalo is going to be in a foul mood and looking for blood next week. 39 points this week it may be over that next week.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I don't care. When you have 2 of the top 6 running backs in the league, and they only get 17 carries combined?????? They both thrive on carries. 17 total carries for the running backs. Relying on a backup qb, who's played well, to pass you into a W?

3-6. D stunk. 3-6. Take the grades of individuals and shove them. 3-6. We could EASILY be 6-3, at worst. D stinks. O isn't being run well. I don't know who that falls on but I'd guess Stefanski will have an excuse.

Legend
Legend
Stefanski isn't going anywhere without having a full season with DW next year. the only dude who has a chance of being let go is Woods.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Swish
Stefanski isn't going anywhere without having a full season with DW next year. the only dude who has a chance of being let go is Woods.

Are you ok with that?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You could run different pass plays and mix the runs in differently. Just the fact that DW is more accurate and can scramble would open things up. Other teams would have to respect those skills that DW has unlike what we have now.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/13/22 09:20 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Are you ok with that?

not if woods is still here. he's lost the defense. if stefanski doesn't fire him, he'll lose the team. but overall, yea im good with stefanski having a full year with DW because the offense is gonna thrive with him as QB. people just having a hard time acknowledging that right now we've peaked on O because our QB is limited. until the passing game is a threat, and ESPECIALLY with the defense being horrible, every team is gonna stack the box and make JB have to beat them. run game isn't gonna carry this team every week. stefanski isn't going anywhere because AB isn't going anywhere.

our coach of the year deserves at least 1 season with our 250 million "franchise" QB.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
I see a defense that has no desire, effort, fortitude, or will. And they don’t believe in their coach. Today was as bad of a loss as we’ve had in recent years

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Different year same story for the Browns
Not in the playoff conversation and the talk is now
About what draft picks the Browns should draft
In 2023.
I love how a portion of the posters bring up
"Blah blah we have the best 2 RBs in the league and
Stefanski isn't using them right blah blah "
Well take off your rose colored glasses
Cause Kareem Hunt is not and I repeat is NOT
a top 10 RB.....he was with KC.
And newsflash, the RB position is devalued

I rather have 2 WRs on my offense ranked in top
20 instead of 2 RBs.
I swear some of you are stuck in the Byner Mack
Years....and even that duo didn't equate to a
SB appearance.

This team was so over rated in the off season
And DeShaun Watson does not make this team
A automatic playoff team next year .
Bank on it

Legend
Legend
our DE’s didnt make one lick of a difference today either. we didn’t have one guy on defense who made a difference

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I know Miami's offense is good, but our defense looked rough... especially run defense...

<><

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by jaybird
I know Miami's offense is good, but our defense looked rough... especially run defense...
WHAT run defense?

I think we were out coached. Miami, with a poor running game and a good passing game, ran over us. In rushing, and passing. Us, with a good running game against a not so stout running D, got ..............well, you watched the game. We all did. Sad.

L
Legend
Legend
L
season is over, I'd rather clean house now, especially on defense.. If anything it shows that the ownership actually cares about more than $. Then you have idiots like Garrett coming out and saying that the bucs and the bill aren't unbeatable...yeah ok dude..We've seen enough of your patty cake game to know that to us, anyone is unbeatable. Bills will beat us by 3 TDS going away.. They'll have they bench in by end of 3rd. Wish these guys would play as good as they talk in the press.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
Everyone should calm down and be patient. We have no draft picks and no cap space. Th Future is bright.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We've got to trust in the process.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
L
Legend
Legend
L
DT need to be priority 1 this coming off-season.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
We've got to trust in the process.
What if the process isn't showing improvement?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WingyWhit
....We have no draft picks and no cap space.......

True on the draft picks.

Wildly incorrect on cap space. The Browns have, and will continue to have, an envious amount of cap space.

Watson will be restructured next year. JJ III will be designated a post 6/1 release. Clowney will be designated a post 6/1 release in order to kick dead cap into 2024.

Kareem Hunt will be gone.

Jack Conklin will also likely be designated a post 6/1 release in order to avoid a dead cap hit in 2023.

Also, broadcasting rights deal will kick in 2023 giving the Browns plenty of flexibility and really explode in 2024.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
We miss Njoku on offense, especially on the 3rd and medium type plays.

Hunt is not the Hunt of years past … it’s apparent that he is nearing the twilight already

B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree with Rish, the problem isn't the QB. No doubt Jacoby isn't a starter, but he and the O haven't been the problem. The problem I have with Rish's take is that Stefanski needs to be fired. I don't see that at all. I don't think Woods should be fired mid-term because it wouldn't fix anything.

Now I will say that if Stefanski doesn't want to make changes on D, then he needs to be canned as well.

We also have a problem in that though Woods isn't any good for the team, we have a bunch of players on the D that need to be replaced as well. Woods is hurt a bit because he has some pretty pitiful defensive players.

I know it won't go this far, but there are aren't many players on the D that I think are any good. We need to replace a lot of them.

Ward is one of them. I would seek a draft choice for the guy. He is a selfish, "me" player.

Even more than the O, the D needs to live and die as a unit. When you are getting your ass handed to you, you don't need to be celebrating a pass break-up. Everybody on the defensive side of the ball was responsible for that disaster. No celebrations needed.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This game was decided in the trenches and it was decided early. Miami completely dominated our offensive line and defensive line. They neutralized Chubb and our running game and forced our backup to win the game. He can't do that. Jacoby holds on to the ball way too long and pressure was applied by their D all game long. That's not a good equation for success. Teller going out didn't help.

This team also doesn't want to tackle on the defensive side. They simply throw their shoulder into someone up high and that doesn't do much. So many plays were extended because guys wouldn't wrap up.

Miami outcoached and outplayed us in every aspect of the game. We came out (outside of the first drive) emotionless and it felt like they were going through the motions as if they had too much fun in Miami Beach the night before.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by lampdogg

And you can usually get very good ones later in a draft considering we don't have a 1st rounder.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Are you ok with that?

Yup!

Tackles are tackles.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Time to be contrarian:

Who gives a damn about “the most important position in football”? Why do I say that? Because there aren’t enough QBs in the league EVER To allow every team to have an enormously talented QB. Does this mean the position should be ignored? No, certainly not. It does mean that an organization has to build a TEAM, a total team, which means all phases of the actual team, coaches, FO and support. Can that ever be truly achieved? Probably not but every organization must try to come as close as possible to that standard.

If we put Mahomes on the Browns he would not have the success that he has had in KC. If we put Brady in his prime on the Browns he would not have as much success as he had in NE.

If we lack talent, lack coordination, coaching and organization then we are screwed. If the talent is not top shelf that does not mean failure if the other phases can overcome the talent level. The Browns have the problem of too many things not being good enough. As an example Stefanski screwed up by playing Mayfield last year. If he had made the decision to get mayfield healthy he would probably have taken heat for it but it would have been the right thing to do. It is likely he could have explained that to the FO and they would have accepted it. But he didn’t do that. So a decision was made to offer a truly psychotic contract to a guy who hadn’t played that year and who they knew or should have known would miss a huge portion of this year. All while not really upgrading the WR position.

The Browns are and will continue to be an expansion team until they rectify the entire problem.

2 members like this: DawgPound75, mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1 AND 2

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
DT, LB, S and EFFORT

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

And you can usually get very good ones later in a draft considering we don't have a 1st rounder.

Well I don't know what success rate DT's have in the NFL (compared to other positions) when taken later in rounds. Generally no matter the position - probability of success drops each round for each position.

My question is - how did Stefanski and Berry decide to roll with our current DTs and LBs this offseason. Those were a position of need last year (other than JOK who flashed plenty). If you tell me that other positions were a higher priority this last off season ... where on the roster other than Kicker did we improve?

It seems lost in the shuffle that - when we talk about waiting for Watson - the entire roster this FO put together is lacking. We hopefully made a killer move for an elite QB..... but there was an entire free agency and multiple draft picks to improve the team. It doesn't seem improved.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/14/22 10:19 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm no technical football guru, but from my perspective, Brissett makes his primary read based on the what the defense shows. He locks on that read until he realizes it's not going to happen, then moves to his second read, and so on. He doesn't scan the field after the snap to see what's available. Which is why he seems to hold the ball so long at times.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

And you can usually get very good ones later in a draft...

Like Perrion Winfrey and Tommy Togiai? Awesome.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good read.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I don't trust Berry to make any good pick. Berry and Woods should be first ones gone.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P

This is where we may disagree. It may work out as you have suggested but maybe not. I think that ALL depends on watson and watson alone. watson will have six games with Stefanski being his HC. You're a married man so I think you know how this works. The Browns gave watson a fully guaranteed contract. The Browns are married to watson. They however are not married to Stefanski. The Browns sold the farm for watson not only in $$$ but future draft picks. The future of this team for the next four years after this season lay squarely on watson's shoulders. So what watson thinks after these six games in 2022 in regards to working in Stefanski's O will determine the fate of Stefnaski for next year. We saw exactly what happened in Houston when watson "wasn't happy". He signed a contract and then refused to play only a couple of months later. Do you think the Browns would risk that repeating itself?

If after six games watson doesn't agree with the O Stefnaski runs, Stefanski is gone. If he doesn't like Stefanski, Stefanski is gone. You're not going to force your 230 million dollar man to play for a HC he either doesn't believe in or doesn't like. That just makes no sense. You side with the one you're married to. You're not going to spend nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to make that player unhappy.

As far as Woods, he's got to go. I've tried to defend Stefanski but after yesterday, no more. But make no mistake, it won't be Halsam or this FO making the decision on Stefanski being here next year. It will be watson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

This is where we may disagree. It may work out as you have suggested but maybe not. I think that ALL depends on watson and watson alone. watson will have six games with Stefanski being his HC. You're a married man so I think you know how this works. The Browns gave watson a fully guaranteed contract. The Browns are married to watson. They however are not married to Stefanski. The Browns sold the farm for watson not only in $$$ but future draft picks. The future of this team for the next four years after this season lay squarely on watson's shoulders. So what watson thinks after these six games in 2022 in regards to working in Stefanski's O will determine the fate of Stefnaski for next year. We saw exactly what happened in Houston when watson "wasn't happy". He signed a contract and then refused to play only a couple of months later. Do you think the Browns would risk that repeating itself?

If after six games watson doesn't agree with the O Stefnaski runs, Stefanski is gone. If he doesn't like Stefanski, Stefanski is gone. You're not going to force your 230 million dollar man to play for a HC he either doesn't believe in or doesn't like. That just makes no sense. You side with the one you're married to. You're not going to spend nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to make that player unhappy.

As far as Woods, he's got to go. I've tried to defend Stefanski but after yesterday, no more. But make no mistake, it won't be Halsam or this FO making the decision on Stefanski being here next year. It will be watson.

So, you're saying Stefanski's best chance of staying employed is to become a masseuse? rolleyesdevil

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well since it's Pure Football I was trying to stay away from that aspect, but maybe.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Haha!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Dolphins 39 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard