Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
And since I brought up Baker, as bad as he's played this year, I'd take odds and bet he's in a Super Bowl before the Browns. Here's why: A the end of this season he will be an FA top-tier backup. This means he will probably get a spot on a very good team making a run. But we will still have whatever problem this is with coaching and a team that's been through too much losing. Hell, he may bounce around the league for years and still make a Super Bowl before us. That's worth a bet with payoff odds in your favor, 10-to-1-ish odds.

And if Baker were to ride the pine a year or two behind a Brady or a Rodgers could fix Baker too.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/20/22 10:04 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Losing takes its toll

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I'll add that there is a common theme with Baker and Stefanski. The Browns are always so bad that the fans fall in love with any guy that comes in and has a little bit of success, even if that success was a flash in the pan and they are unable to sustain it. We are getting the same type of excuses for a poor head coach that we got for a poor QB - it's everybody else's fault. Well, it's not. They are just bad at their job. There's no mystery here. There's no deeper explanation.

Remove the emotion. Trust your eyes. Expect more.
Kinda what I’ve been saying all year. Stop accepting mediocre just because you had horrible for so long. The goal should be to win consistent. It’s been proving if you have the right staff you see that immediately. My only fear is haslam only half-asses the house cleaning. It needs to be everyone, Berry, woods, stefanski and Priefer. I would also get rid of Depo too.

Depo has too much influence. I'm afraid the Browns will never be able to attract the right staff and the right structure with him around.

1 member likes this: Tackman
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Agreed.

Also, when I see "practice" video, it's guys going half speed. I don't know the rules, laws, whatever. But 'practice' seems like day care to me.

So is all of training camp.

1 member likes this: Jester
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by AZBrown
Originally Posted by Milk Man
What a mess.

Is he throwing Woods under the bus here or some of his defensive teammates? Or, does it matter? Confusion,, complacency and finger pointing. Yikes.

It just doesn't matter anymore at this point. It's all just a mess, slogging along to the finish line.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Also, has Deion Jones done much of anything? I rarely hear his name called.

He's been terrible. A liability when hes on the field. I believe Tony Fields took his spot on the field at one point.

L
Legend
Legend
L
This team is acting like the sinking ship it is. It’s time to clean house

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I'll add that there is a common theme with Baker and Stefanski. The Browns are always so bad that the fans fall in love with any guy that comes in and has a little bit of success, even if that success was a flash in the pan and they are unable to sustain it. We are getting the same type of excuses for a poor head coach that we got for a poor QB - it's everybody else's fault. Well, it's not. They are just bad at their job. There's no mystery here. There's no deeper explanation.

Remove the emotion. Trust your eyes. Expect more.
Kinda what I’ve been saying all year. Stop accepting mediocre just because you had horrible for so long. The goal should be to win consistent. It’s been proving if you have the right staff you see that immediately. My only fear is haslam only half-asses the house cleaning. It needs to be everyone, Berry, woods, stefanski and Priefer. I would also get rid of Depo too.

Depo has too much influence. I'm afraid the Browns will never be able to attract the right staff and the right structure with him around.

I'm not, DePodesta is the boogeyman, guy, but I do believe your claim has some merit, Rish. We saw it play out when Stefanski wanted to work with George Paton as the GM.

Flown in from Minnesota on the Haslams’ private jet, Paton headed back home Wednesday night with some reservations about the organizational structure and his role. Although he would’ve had final say over the roster, he was still working through some things when he picked up the phone on Friday afternoon to inform the Browns he was out.

Berry, who left the Browns in February to join the Eagles, is also on the radar of the Carolina Panthers, who requested permission to interview him for their Executive Vice President of Football Operations job. The Eagles haven’t granted permission because the position doesn’t include final say over the roster, but it could possibly be revisited after the NFL Draft in April.

A favorite of Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, Berry interviewed Jan. 17 at Browns headquarters, as did Patriots Director of College Scouting Monti Ossenfort.

One source told cleveland.com that Browns coach Kevin Stefanski wanted Paton “in the worst way’’ because of their 13-year history in Minnesota, where they helped the team to six playoff campaigns and two NFC title games in that span.

But Stefanski also really likes Berry, with whom he hit it off during the coaching search last year, when he was passed over for the job by former GM John Dorsey in favor of Freddie Kitchens. Stefanski, favored by Berry and DePodesta during last year’s search, was eager to work with Berry last year and that hasn’t changed, a source said. They’re also both Ivy-Leaguers like DePodesta, and would provide Jimmy Haslam with the organizational alignment he’s been seeking since he took over in 2012.

It was the Browns’ desire to bring Berry back into the fold that almost caused Paton to turn down the interview in the first place. The career-long right-hand man of Vikings GM Rick Spielman, Paton is a sought-after GM candidate who’s turned down many opportunities to interview over the years, including multiple requests from the Jets and one from the Dolphins.

Paton was a finalist for the 49ers GM job in 2017 that went to John Lynch, and was one of six candidates to interview for the Colts job that went to Chris Ballard in 2017.

The Browns’ job just wasn’t a fit, even though he enjoyed his two interviews and was intrigued by the prospect of being reunited with Stefanski. That was the reason he accepted the initial interview on Jan. 18 in the first place. Working with his longtime colleague would’ve been akin to hiring his own coach. But the Browns’ job comes with challenges, as has been widely documented.

Paton would’ve been the sixth Browns general manager since the Haslams took over in 2012. With as many as a half-dozen GM jobs possibly coming open over the next year, Paton could have numerous opportunities to write his own ticket.

In Cleveland, he would’ve had to work within the organizational framework of DePodesta, himself and Stefanski all reporting to ownership, which includes Jimmy and Dee Haslam and their son-in-law JW Johnson, Executive Vice President of the team.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-andrew-berry-the-leading-candidate.html

M
Legend
Legend
M
In Cleveland, he would’ve had to work within the organizational framework of DePodesta, himself and Stefanski all reporting to ownership, which includes Jimmy and Dee Haslam and their son-in-law JW Johnson, Executive Vice President of the team.

And here is what it ultimately boils down to, every key personnel reports to three people that have not a clue on how to run a successful NFL franchise. This is why many say the Browns will never win under a Haslam ownership. JW should be tasked with filling candy dishes and picking weekly uniform combos and absolutely nothing more. Jimmy and Dee are just guessing with their fingers crossed while throwing money at the problem.

1 member likes this: Hammer
M
Legend
Legend
M
Oof. Myles basically calling out coaching two years in a row now. Between this, Delpit’s comment and others throughout the year, the coaching staff (defensive) appears to have lost the locker room.

I expect frustrations to continue to boil over and get louder.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Myles Garrett is a former #1 overall pick and considered by most lists to be a top 10 player in the NFL. In six seasons he will have made the playoffs once. I hope Myles gets mad. I hope he keeps speaking out. Someone in the Browns organization needs to act like they actually care about what is happening. Stefanski is a lost cause. You can't be incompetent and care at the same time because you don't possess the ability to do anything about it. Berry is looking worse and worse with each passing game and his idiotic "opportunities" speech he's given the last two seasons. The players have to police themselves. But it doesn't really matter. It's too late. Another wasted friggin season. Another 10 month wait where you hope it will be different next season. What a joke. The entire franchise.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am open to anything, but just a few general thoughts.

I don't think we need to replace Stefanski. The O isn't the problem and we seem to have a set-up of he runs the O and makes the administrative decisions and the D coordinator is over the D. In that set-up, we need a new defensive coordinator. Woods isn't the guy.

I don't think Depo has as much influence as some fear. He has influence no doubt, but not on the on field stuff. I think overall he is an asset to the team.

Priefer, hard to say. He may just be strapped with bad leftovers to work with, but he also needs to be replaced. To me, that is a coaching position where you need some fire in the belly. My take may be totally wrong, but ST coordinator is a stepping stone position IMO. That is the first step a younger coach stays to get their shot at being a coordinator. To me, it isn't a job you stay in for life. You move up or you move out.

I think maybe Callie would be good for the job and move Preifer out or make him special assistant to the head coach. He is the guy Stefanski turned over the acting head coach reins, so if Stefanski likes him, let him keep him.

As for Berry, I think he may be the problem. We seem to have more misses than hits in the draft, and his picks are somewhat the same player type especially on D. He is pretty good at selecting D-backs, but after that we seem to select a lot of hybrid players who aren't all that good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We have multiple players referencing the team not knowing what their assignments are and/or not focusing enough in practice. Not good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

#FreeTheD

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

It's all good, the self-appointed board football guru said All this locker room interaction is a positive thing. Stefanski is great, woods defense is great and his scheme is great. As recently as last week we had confirmation that the scheme is in great shape.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Ignore the record. Everything will be fine once Watson and arrives.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/21/22 09:37 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
In fact, everything is in such great shape. That will have a new thread started soon to talk about the great football that we saw as opposed to wallowing in our complaints and self-pity. Thank goodness

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
We really need to extend stefanski.
He has gone from being a 12 win coach to 3.
The problem is he really needs to have a hole year with leshaun
Then this team will be the most talented team in the Afc.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by mgh888
In fact, everything is in such great shape. That will have a new thread started soon to talk about the great football that we saw as opposed to wallowing in our complaints and self-pity. Thank goodness
Nailed it. You posted this ^ at 8:38. That thread you mentioned? Posted at 9:03.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Only 1-31 and the inaugural season in '99 were worse. Impressive stuff!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Only 1-31 and the inaugural season in '99 were worse. Impressive stuff!

But nothing wrong with the coaching or the scheme !! PHEW - for a moment I thought the Browns were in trouble!

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I was waiting to see these grades and it came through what I saw yesterday. Teller was awful all around. This might have been his worst game ever as a Browns. I get it....Buffalo is really good, but man, he played poorly.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
We got our first zero point zero! OL has been bullied the last two weeks.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It really has but they've also been dinged up quite a bit.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Today's presser with Stefanski...

M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
As the ship sinks the stitching is unraveling on the life raft.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
j/c:

In an alternate sort of placating universe I guess he could have said that the jig is up, Woods stinks,, the players are out of control, I'm losing my mind, Watson may not make a difference, I may lose my job, I don't trust Berry or Dee Haslam and, furthermore, I hate all of you.

Now, one or two of things might have been true.

But in reality, what was he supposed to say?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Unfortunately, Watson cannot Coach, play Defense or Special Teams. He won't change anything until 2023.

Legend
Legend
We got our first zero point zero!

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through Life, son.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: Milk Man, Hammer
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I was waiting to see these grades and it came through what I saw yesterday. Teller was awful all around. This might have been his worst game ever as a Browns. I get it....Buffalo is really good, but man, he played poorly.

Thanks, I was beginning to think no one else noticed, but I though Froholt was worse at blocking and Conklin just wasn't himself. He later left the game. I also noticed a few times Buffalo would blitz by lining up across from our slot receiver
and get by untouched.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Clearly, Froholdt had a bad game. I think his last one was a bad one too. But it's all relative with my comment. Based on the expectations for Teller as opposed to a backup guard playing center, I think the more egregious performance should go to Teller.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Teller was not moving as well as normal. It's safe to assume that the calf injury is still bothering him. He's one of the very best guards in football.

M
Legend
Legend
M

PHEW !! All will be well then.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski asked if he’s thought about a DC change: “My focus is on us getting better.”

Is it me - or does it seem like KS has said that a whole bunch of times - I mean like dozens and dozens of times. And yet, unless I missed something - no improvement has been seen.
Hmmmmm 🤔

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Great head coaching performance by KS. Yay.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Clearly, Froholdt had a bad game. I think his last one was a bad one too. But it's all relative with my comment. Based on the expectations for Teller as opposed to a backup guard playing center, I think the more egregious performance should go to Teller.

It is clear he isn't a center and clear how much the team needs Pocic.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

After all these years it amazes me how people equate press conferences to some meaningful information where one can interpret a response one way or another and justify their own bias and extreme stance on a situation.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
j/c

After all these years it amazes me how people equate press conferences to some meaningful information where one can interpret a response one way or another and justify their own bias and extreme stance on a situation.

Stefanski is trying his best to imitate Bill Belichick giving very vague answers and falling back to Belichickesque "We have to get better" and "We are focusing on next week". Sorry man, he has not earned that right yet. Bill Belichick teams DO get "better". What has this Team done to get better in the past 7 weeks? Where is the accountability Stefanski has consistently preached? How about actually doing something instead of just hiding behind those pisspoor statements. Enough already.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Bills 31 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard