Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1987739 11/21/22 10:02 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Once again, I would like that we limit this thread to things that happened during this specific game. Those observations can be negative or positive. They can be both, which is what the truth consists of. Rish asked that we keep the Postgame thread to "griping" and no Xs and Os. I will stay off that thread. So I respectfully ask that the agenda posters stay off this one. This thread is for those who missed the game and want objective reporting and/or those who just like to talk about football and not the crap that dominates the board.

--I saw a different game from those that have posted in the Postgame thread. I thought the team showed a lot of fight. They surely did not quit on the coaching staff or the season. They played hard and w/desire.

--As usual, we started off strong. This time on both offense and defense. That's coaching. Eventually, talent catches up to the coaching moves and wins out. We certainly looked like the team that was better prepared. I do have to mention that Buffalo faced very difficult circumstances just getting to Detroit and that very well could have factored into their slow start.

--Jacoby had another excellent game. He was "28 of 41 for 324 yards — two shy of his career high — and a season-high three touchdowns." He also avoided numerous sacks and ran for nice gains to keep drives alive. He was a beat slow on some throws, but he was very accurate and he doesn't lead our guys into big hits.

--Losing Pocic was huge. The 3rd and 1 and 4th on 1 plays were big on that second half drive. We got no push on what is almost always a certain conversion on short yardage situations when we run the qb sneak. The botched snap led to a fumble when we had another drive going and it was huge! Also, there were numerous low snaps in the shotgun which throws the timing of the play off. I'm not dissing Folholdt, though. He was thrust into a tough situation and did his best.

--Chubb was effective on screens, but there is something to consider. He is very good when he can get past the LOS w/some room, even if it is just a little bit. However, he is really bad when the defense gets early penetration. He just doesn't evade tacklers until he builds up some steam. There were some run blitzes against us and that is becoming a trend when defending Chubb.

--Hunt had a nice day. He is a little quicker to find the hole.

--Bell made some nice catches. Starting to contribute.

--Cooper is such a great route runner. Gets in and out of his breaks w/no wasted movement. What a steal he's been.

--DPJ continues to impress. He doesn't get much separation, but he is good on contested catches.

--The two drops on certain TDs by backup TEs on consecutive plays were killers. Gotta come up w/those. Njoku's snaps were limited. His athleticism was evident on that hurdles. OMGoodness.

--Hudson really struggled at RT after Conklin went out w/the injury.

--The OL was better than last week, but Buffalo has a tough front and we struggled on the line at times. Especially after the two injuries.

--Clowney finally made a play on D. Two actually. He forced a holding call.

--Our D did a very good job of containing Allen. They held him to under 200 yards passing w/just 1 TD. That's about 100 yards less than his average. He also didn't kill us w/his legs like he does in almost every other game he plays. Gotta give the D credit for that.

--Ward did a sensational job on Diggs. That led to the latter becoming frustrated. Ward wasn't w/Diggs 100% of the time, but he was w/him almost all the time. I'd say over 90% of the plays.

--JOK had his best game. He was very active. TakiTaki played well, too. He is more physical than our other backers.

--Our run D started off okay, but in the end, we gave up 171 yds on the ground while only mustering 80 ourselves. They averaged 5.2 yds per rush and we averaged 3.1, even w/Jacoby's positive scrambles.

--I do think the D got down on themselves a bit in the second half. Gotta fight through adversity. I would say the offense, particularly Jacoby, fought valiantly to the very end.

--Special teams were atrocious. Why don't we kick our kickoffs out of the end zone? He has the leg, right????? Hines was killing us on kickoff returns. He also had a long punt return. We can't afford that crap when playing a team w/so much better talent than we have.

--Furthermore, York is pissing me off. That blocked kick was on him. It was super low and heading left immediately. Meanwhile, their kicker was something like 6 for 6.

--The Browns actually had 2 fewer penalties than Buffalo. Hard to mention lack of discipline there.

--The Browns were 2 for 4 in the red zone. Bills were 2 for 5.

--Browns possessed the ball for about 3 more minutes than Buffalo did.

--Total yards were close. Browns had about 40 more w/a total of 396 yards of offense.

--Browns had more first downs than the Bills did and yards per play were identical.

--Again, my eyes told me the game was much different than what is being described on the Postgame thread. The stats say the same thing. It was a hard fought game that could have went either way. I think the biggest difference was that they were able to run the ball better than we were and their Special teams were far superior.

1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Legend
Legend
I think that Buffalo was trading yards, and even points, for time off the clock, at the end. The game was never as close as it appeared at the end, at least IMHO.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Brissett 121 yards / 2 TD during the last 6:45 of the game... after we went down 28-10

This looked much more like a whoopin' than a "battled" type game to me. Although it's always nice when your team doesn't flat-out quit.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Brissett is worthy of our praise for his effort. We honestly can’t ask him to do more than he’s done. And he is professional and gives max effort

Our run game was really negated … looked like a ton of 8-9 man boxes. I also sense that Hunt is out of gas, which makes things tougher.

Our STs is, to me, a completely failed unit. The penalties, bad coverage, blocked kicks, etc … it’s the worst unit we have (and that’s saying a lot considering our D isn’t good either)

DPJ has been a really steady force. Great year for him. I think we’re a slot away from having a great WR corp

Bryant doesn’t do it for me. I think he’s too finesse

Two plays of the game: the fumble at midfield and the time Knox ran over Delpit when he could have been stopped short of the 1st down

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Winners find a way to win and losers find a way to lose. That's why the Browns stats look good and the result was a L.

That's what happened in this game and some others. The only stat that actually matters is the win/loss column. Everything else is just putting lipstick on a pig.

And there are a few posters on this board that have a huge investment in lipstick.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Vers, that is a pretty rosy take, but you made a lot of good points I had not considered. It seems like you have lowered your expectations for this team, as I guess we all have. What bugs me is that Jacoby Brissett was in no way the problem in this game. Watson couldn't be expected to play any better. So the rest of the team, and the coaching staff, is just not even close to the league's elite.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think the Browns played one of--if not the-best teams in the league tough. There were positives. I also listed a lot of the negatives, such as dropped TD passes, bad snaps, terrible run defense in the second half, inability to effectively run the ball ourselves, awful play by the Special teams, and maybe another thing or two. I should have mentioned that we did not force any turnovers, which sucks.

I don't want to get into the season evaluation on this thread, though. There are a ton of threads about that. I just talking some real football instead of all the other agenda/drama crap.

A
Legend
Legend
A
And? Another L.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
A positive out of a negative, a injury, we saw how good Pocic is at center. It fell apart once he left the game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
well, at least we beat them in most of the stats departments!! thumbsup

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
well, at least we beat them in most of the stats departments!! thumbsup

Probably in all the ratings things as well, so at least we have that going for us, right? And we darn well probably out coached them, too. 3-7. L. With a MUCH better qb, all the talent in the world, etc.

We just need DW now, and lights out.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Brissett 121 yards / 2 TD during the last 6:45 of the game... after we went down 28-10

That's called "garbage time" - it's funny because last week a QB went into a game in the 2nd half during "garbage time" and he put up really impressive numbers ... but posters who don't like THAT qb were quick to point out that last week that was garbage time .... this week, no mention of garbage time when looking at Brisset's padded stats ... wonder why huh?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
20 points were left on the field

the two dropped passes for 14

the 4th and 1 that should have went for a FG that's 3

and the blocked FG that's 3

Those in a positive outcome , the Browns win

I can't say too much because I wasn't watching that much,

A little tv and radio

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I didn;t watch teh game but listened to Jim & Nathan on the radio. At teh end of another lousy loss, I think the Browns name should be changed to the "Almosts".

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think posters are misrepresenting what happened during the game. The Browns were leading the entire first half until just seconds were left. Buffalo scored a late TD to make it 13-10. The Browns only outscored the Bills by 4 in the 4th quarter. This was not about garbage time. I wonder if the posters making such claims even bothered to watch the game? The agenda has gotten so bad that posters like 888 are fabricating stats to trash the team. For example, he says it was "garbage time" when we put our numbers up. Yet, the Browns outgained the Bills by 73 freaking yards in the first half. The Browns had approximately half of their yards in the first half, w/a total of 197.

I watched the game. It was a competitive game that was decided by a few plays. There was no garbage time. Stop spreading lies to further your bent agenda.

1 member likes this: Hammer
Legend
Legend
Forgot about Pocic injury … you could see immediately how much we missed him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think it happened on the first play of the game. Big loss.

Btw---thanks for trying to get the thread back on track after 888 tried to hijack yet again.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 11/22/22 09:21 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Just for clarification. I am not saying the Browns deserved to win. They did not. They had a turnover and the Bills did not. They got killed on Special Teams. The Bills made more plays when they needed to than the Browns did.

I simply wanted to tell a narrative of what I observed during the game. I read the Post Game thread and it was like we got killed and were totally outclassed. I did not see it that way at all. We lost and deserved to. However, that game was competitive and we had the Bills on their heels. Check out the post-game comments from the Bills. That is what I saw when I watched the games. I checked the stats to see if my eyes deceived me or not. They did not.

And Homes, I know that winning the stats battle doesn't equate to a victory. We lost. I was just trying to give an honest take on what happened during the game. If that doesn't suit you, put me on ignore and follow 888, Pit, and the rest of that crew around.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Just for clarification. I am not saying the Browns deserved to win. They did not. They had a turnover and the Bills did not. They got killed on Special Teams. The Bills made more plays when they needed to than the Browns did.

I simply wanted to tell a narrative of what I observed during the game. I read the Post Game thread and it was like we got killed and were totally outclassed. I did not see it that way at all. We lost and deserved to. However, that game was competitive and we had the Bills on their heels. Check out the post-game comments from the Bills. That is what I saw when I watched the games. I checked the stats to see if my eyes deceived me or not. They did not.

And Homes, I know that winning the stats battle doesn't equate to a victory. We lost. I was just trying to give an honest take on what happened during the game. If that doesn't suit you, put me on ignore and follow 888, Pit, and the rest of that crew around.

I agree with this. I think very few games were we "outclassed or destroyed". One play made in two of our losses makes them wins. 2 plays Sunday and we stand a very good chance of winning. Most of our games are decided by a less than handful of plays which is why I made my "almosts" comment.

Legend
Legend
We were down 28-10 with 6:48 left.

The Bills allowed a 9 play TD drive, after which we failed on a 2 PT try ..... and then they had a FG dribe of their own. That made the score 31-16 with 2 minutes left. The Bills then alowed the Browns to burn up 1:37 of that with an 8 play drive, making the score 31-23 with 19 seconds left.

The Bills just played prevent, of a kind. They made the Browns burn clock, and never never in any real danger of losing. We scored 2 largely meaningless TDs to burn the clock almost completely.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We had an onside kick that went in and out of the hands of Harrison. We very well could have scored again. The Bills were not playing prevent. This was not garbage time.

Legend
Legend
I forgot about the onside kick … that was one of the better ones I’ve seen a Browns team kick. Harrison was basically given it to him in the bread basket

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Memphis posted this on another thread. I am posting it to add to my claim that the game was not the blow out that some are claiming.

[/quote]

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

The Bills allowed a 9 play TD drive, after which we failed on a 2 PT try ..... and then they had a FG dribe of their own. That made the score 31-16 with 2 minutes left. The Bills then alowed the Browns to burn up 1:37 of that with an 8 play drive, making the score 31-23 with 19 seconds left.

The Bills just played prevent, of a kind. They made the Browns burn clock, and never never in any real danger of losing. We scored 2 largely meaningless TDs to burn the clock almost completely.

This is what I saw as well.

As soon as the Browns fumbled they gave up, the Bills took control, and the game was never in question.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers, I made that comment as a joke. I enjoy reading your posts as I do just about everyone's and I don't want to put you or anyone else on Ignore. I have to keep a sense of humor with the way we've played this year or most years for that matter. I didn't watch the game but it does seem to me we played pretty well against one of the best teams in the league.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/22/22 10:49 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

This is what I saw as well.

As soon as the Browns fumbled they gave up, the Bills took control, and the game was never in question.

That is exactly what happened, especially on the defensive side.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How do you guys explain that we led in yardage by a substanital margin the entire first half and also led on the scoreboard during all but several seconds in the first half?

Legend
Legend
We got more yards?

We play well until it matters?

We went up 10-3

Then....

FUMBLE
PUNT
DOWNS
MISSED FG
PUNT

Then garbage time @ 28-10

Last edited by FATE; 11/22/22 11:10 AM. Reason: added info

Legend
Legend
How do you guys explain that we led in yardage by a substanital margin the entire first half and also led on the scoreboard during all but several seconds in the first half?

Same as we explain the vast majority of our games with a Woods led defense. We start out ok, the other teams adjust and we collapse.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Wait, what?

We were down 6 points with 4 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter and driving for a possible go-ahead score and we were out of the game - OK. Sorry, but that don't jive with my take on this game.

2 unsuccessful QB sneaks on that scoring drive and then subsequent Bills drive for a touchdown at end of 3 Qtr and we were toast. Albeit, we did make it interesting down the stretch and if Harrison had any kind of hands, a possible attempt to tie the game at the end. That's my take.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're narrative that you portray points out perfectly how good teams find a way to win while bad teams find a way to lose. No matter how else you wish to "portray it" that's what everyone has been watching this season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A

Take all the 'stats' and toss them in the trash. All the pff ratings, all the sparq crap, none of it matters. It was a LOSS. Again.

W's and L's are the only stat that matters. But, I guess in this day and age, "hey, you did good, here's a cookie" matters to some.

P
Legend
Legend
P
A very few are still trying to rely on what they call moral victories instead of winning games. They just can't shake that loser mentality.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Moral victories? No chance for one of those while DW is on the team.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I never once mentioned a moral victory. I talked about the events that occurred during the game. Period.

I get that you and the others who invaded this thread feel the need to control what is said on each and every thread, but I'll be damned for feeling bad about actually talking about football.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Trying to say how well things are when a team is 3-7 is certainly pointing out moral victories. I know you feel so superior to everyone else on this board so as obvious as this is, I guess someone needs to remind you.

You don't control the board. You don't control the content of a thread or who and how they respond even when you are the poster who originated it. This isn't your classroom and you are not in control.

And people who share a different opinion than your own aren't invading anything.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
This thread is the one I probably look forward to the most every week. Good football talk and analysis, no drama (except, well, sometimes). Your effort is much appreciated.

We WERE in this game until late third quarterish, but they started running it up the middle on us and we couldn’t answer. That has been the biggest difference of late: we can’t consistently stop from being gashed.

The JB fumble was huge, it killed our momentum and gave them life. It wasn’t true back-breaker, but it was big.

Harrison’s drop hurt - it wasn’t an easy catch as it was a bit high and wide but he’s gotta make that catch.

York’s blocked kick annoyed me, too. It’s a relative chip shot, get some air under it you don’t have to line drive it. And yeah, our ST coach should have been telling him that kickoffs should end up in the stands.

Doesn’t it seem like nobody misses a field goal against us? 45 yards, 56 yards, doesn’t matter. They boom it right down the middle.

Cooper, Brissett and DPJ all had nice games. Our DT situation is abysmal. We need to fix that in the off-season. And while our OL has been slowly decimated with injury, we MUST find a way to get Chubb going.

Brissett has done a great job, but I’m looking forward to seeing what Watson can do.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Doesn’t it seem like nobody misses a field goal against us? 45 yards, 56 yards, doesn’t matter. They boom it right down the middle.

It's uncanny.

Although that was from Oct 10 and they have cooled a bit since then... 12 0f 14... still better than Justin Tucker. rofl

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks lamp for the football talk. Very good points and I agree w/most of them. It's not even important if we agree. I actually like reading different takes than my own. It helps paint a clearer picture to see all the different takes. I'm just sick of the constant fighting that a handful of posters insist upon.

I agree w/you on their running game. They haven't been a good running team [excluding Allen] for 2-3 years now, but they gashed us in the second half.

JBs fumble was on the center, in my opinion. He didn't get it up high enough. But, the guy was thrust into a very difficult situation. It's one thing to come in at guard. It's another to come in and play center w/out getting the reps in practice.

L
Legend
Legend
L
35 of 37..... and we kick as if we have no feet

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Bills 31 Browns/Bills Game Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard