Next Thread
Print Thread
#1992674 12/12/22 08:23 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I know this thread won't go well, but there might be some people who actually like football talk and not all the personality crap that has taken over the board. There may be some that didn't get to see the game. I'd like to keep it game specific. Things that happened during the game. Positive and negative comments are fine. This is not a thread for "we should have kept Baker," or "Stefanski is the worst coach in the NFL," or our FO and ownership suck." Those posts dominate the board. This one is just about what happened during the game.

--Watson was better than last week, but it was still a rough outing. He's working his way back into playing in a league that moves very fast. There were signs of his athleticism and making something out of nothing. There were also some bad reads. Some holding on to the ball too long. A terrible interception. Some ba throws.

--Chubb could not get anything going. I think he only had 14 carries, but I was kinda like don't run him on first down anymore. They were stuffing him consistently and we kept getting behind the chains.

--There were camera shots of our WRs not getting open. There was also one where one of our guys broke wide open and Watson did not see him.

--Njoku made some plays.

--DPJ continues to improve. He doesn't get much separation, but he catches the ball.

--Cooper is an incomplete. Not sure what was up w/him? That's not an insult. He's just not a real demonstrative guy and he wasn't making difference-making plays.

--I hate saying this, but the biggest problem has been our center since Pocic went out. Dude is not very good. I really can't trash him because he has been put in a tough spot, but he's killing us. And Reader completely dominated him.

--The OL had another bad game. All this started when we lost Pocic. But, has anyone else noticed how much Conklin is struggling?

--The DL played better. Myles and Clowney played really well. Even our interior was clogging up plays.

--I thought Jones [#54] played well.

--The secondary looked pretty good for the most part.

--Delpit did not. He stinks. For him to bite on the run fake and not give Emerson over the top help was criminal. Dude can't read the opposing plays. I know he was a high draft choice and they will keep him around, but he stinks! He was even missing tackles.

--JJ actually played a good game yesterday.

--I think the biggest issue yesterday were the multitude of penalties and some missed opportunities. We would stop them and get a penalty to keep the drive alive. Roughing the kicker, defensive holding, etc. We would make a good play on O and we would get called for holding.

--I don't like saying this because it always sounds like an excuse, but the officiating was decidedly one-sided. The number of uncalled holds by their OL was staggering. I literally saw one of their guys reach out w/his arm fully extended and grab one of our guys by the back of the collar and corral him. The ref was looking right at it. This kinda stuff went on and on.

--Another thing is Joe Burrow is such a good qb. Guys on here don't like him, but he maneuvers so well in the pocket to escape sacks and he threw some absolute darts into tight windows. We actually got a lot of pressure on Burrow, but he made some unreal plays. Also, he got bailed out by some calls on our defense.

--I know the score of the game looked bad. However, I thought the team played very hard against what might be the best team in the AFC right now. I know......a loss is a loss, but I thought we actually played a decent game.

2 members like this: DawgPound75, CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
Cooper re-aggravated his injury on the first drive. Might have been the second play? That is probably why he wasn’t targeted much.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks. I did not know that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Good post. I agree with everything but Burrow. I think he is above average but not all that, and a bag of chips. And the Bengals are nowhere near the top dawg in the AFC. But maybe they are #1 in the AFCN. Typo?

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/12/22 10:01 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Your right every Average qb beats mahomes 3 times in a row.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J

L
Legend
Legend
L
Without reading anyone’s post, I thought the call for Brissett to throw on 4th down, early, was not very smart, in terms of play call. By saying not very smart, I mean stupid. That’s probably the only thing I dislike about KS: he tries to act clever, when Brissett up the middle would be wiser.

The bungles secondary was very good, didn’t give much away. , I thought Watson had a nice game, in spite of our OL struggles, showed his talent. The INT was ugly but he looked much sharper. penalties hurt us big time. The roughing the punter changed the game.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I thought the Browns had a chance to gain momentum
On the 4th and 1 play. Instead of being cute and tricky
Lineup hat on hat and see what team wants it the most
Instead Cincy gets a jolt of momentum.

Lou Anarumo did a great job of scheming for Chubb.
Forced Chubb to run horizontal and was sending Hilton
On well timed run blitzes.
DJ Reader was unblockable.

The Browns need a real burner for this offense.
Cooper and Jones are strong WRs but they don't blow
Past CBers or Safeties. Berry doesn't put alot of value
In speed on offense
Harrison Bryant is a waste of a roster spot.
He can't create mismatches or block at the point of attack.

I thought Watson looked better but he has issues at the 2nd level
He missed wide open guys on shallow crosses.
I think in Houston he had the luxury of throwing deep balls
To Fuller and Cooks.

The Browns defense lacks guys with I.Q and natural football
Instincts. Perrine scored on a 6 yd run cause the defense
Assumed the play was over. How embarrassing.
Then the defender missed Trent Taylor resulting in a 34 yd gain.

The Bengals were the better team even minus Hurst Higgins Boyd
Take away Njoku Jones and Cooper from Watson
The Browns offense might put up a FG.
If Burrow was a Brown this would be a playoff team
He put up 23 points down 70 % of his arsenal

1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the recap. I did not get to see the game, though I did listen to one drive on the radio - the one where we had almost 60 yards in penalties and pretty much moved them down the field for them.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jacksondawg

Maybe read what I said; above average is not average.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Our run game has totally sputtered. We look terrible. Don’t know if it’s OL injuries, Chubb wearing down, teams not respecting the pass, etc. But we got nothing going there.

It’s like our team can never align: when one area plays well the rest don’t

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I meant the entire AFC. I'm not saying they definitely are the best, but they are in the discussion. They won the conference championship last year and quite a few analysts are saying they are the best after they beat KC yet again. Either way, they are a very good team.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Our OL and penalties were the story of the game. You could replace our OL with Reader as he was unstoppable. As has been mentioned many time on the DT.N
The center position is killing us.

I felt our DL played their best game of the year. I felt we contained the run most of the day. the scheme is my issue. They were down a lot of players. How many times did we blitz? MG & JC were consistent forces all day. they were collapsing the pocket, but Burrow made a lot of plays. The first game against CIN Woods had many different looks and seemed to bring extra pressure from a variety of players. Sunday, instead of bringing pressure with extra players it looked as if we were just re-aligning our front 4 as I seemed to see MG inside a few times. Scheme has been an issue for at least 2 years. I like many, also find it confusing to play man coverage on Chase. HORRIBLE.

There was no doubt CIN was going to stop Chubb on first down. Play Action anyone? Vers on another thread I thought I read where you felt bad for #24 every time he got the ball on 1st down. paraphrasing, but I felt the same way.

This game could have been won, and it definitely should have been significantly closer. Penalties (not 1 but 3 drive extending pens on 1st TD drive) and another busted coverage TD are responsible for 14 points.

I said it before the game, I felt Burrow would be on as he had to take it personal to not have beaten CLE yet in his career. I was wrong. He was not the driving force for that W. The Bengals DL was the difference maker in that game. Chase and Burrow made some plays, but the CIN D won that game on Sunday.

I felt like MG & JC left everything on the field on Sunday. They were a disrupting force that with a little help could have changed the results of this game.

3 members like this: lampdogg, Versatile Dog, FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I know this thread won't go well, but there might be some people who actually like football talk and not all the personality crap that has taken over the board.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Hugh

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Bengals 23 Browns @ Bengals Recap

Link Copied to Clipboard