Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Stefanski refuses to play Chubb on 99.9% of 3rd and 4th downs.

The reality is Chubb isn't a good 3rd down or short yardage back.

How can you say that when he is never on the field on 3rd and 4th downs? Chubb can make something out of nothing more times that not.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
"You've got to factor in the conditions," Watson said. "(We) Didn't want to throw it too much down the field...try to run."

Watson - 31 passing attempts
Dalton - 15 passing attempts

superconfused

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I see a lot of people complaining about dropped passes. The temp was the worst in Cleveland Browns history. -13 0n the field. It was bitter cold in that stadium. You don't think our guys hands were cold? They probably couldn't even feel their fingers let alone catch a football.

That's why if we had a coach with half a brain, with these conditions, this was a day to run the ball as much as possible. The wind was blowing which a normal coach would say "that's gonna affect throwing the ball too". But our pass happy coach just keeps on flinging them.

If the Haslams don't let him go they deserve every game they lost this year and next year. If I were the owner, half the coaching staff would be job hunting come January.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Which half of the coaching staff would be safe if you were the owner?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B

How can you say that when he is never on the field on 3rd and 4th downs? Chubb can make something out of nothing more times that not.

He isn't a good straight line runner. Hit the hole and get a yard or two. He also isn't a plus pass catcher. he is better off tackle and cutting back in to seams.
That is hard to do in short yardage situations with teams selling out. That's how I can say that.

That doesn't mean iI don't like the guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Which half of the coaching staff would be safe if you were the owner?

That would make a good new thread

The owners may keep coaches

It's the new HC that comes in that makes the final staff

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Why is the Browns fan base the only fanbase that gripes
About how many carries their #1 RB gets per game ?
I doubt they complain in B-more about Dobbins and Edward's
Or in Dallas with Elliot and Pollard or Cincy with Mixon and Perine.
Some Browns fans think it's still 2010. Offenses that
Put points on the board are driven by passing

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
First, you are wrong. My Ravens friends are constantly complaining about Roman and the play calling and they want him fired. Primary complaint is they don't run enough.

Also, Bengals 11-4, Ravens 10-5 ( and winning with backup QB). If the Browns were winning, most people wouldn't be as concerned with "how" but when you're losing everybody wants to speculate on why.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think we really have to take a long look at what needs to be done to maximize Watson. Whether that’s scheme, play calling, personnel, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Look.. Can anyone really say that the Browns this year come out prepared, fired up and full of fight every game? No!!.. So who's job is that?? And how many times does the offensive coordinator for the Browns calls plays that head scratchers, wrongly timed, and usually not converted?? BTW, that same offensive coordinator has a offense that has not scored over 13pts since Watson came back. We all see that his play calling is never consistent. We know where the problem with the Browns lie, and it starts with the head coach!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
First, you are wrong. My Ravens friends are constantly complaining about Roman and the play calling and they want him fired. Primary complaint is they don't run enough.

Also, Bengals 11-4, Ravens 10-5 ( and winning with backup QB). If the Browns were winning, most people wouldn't be as concerned with "how" but when you're losing everybody wants to speculate on why.
My point being is that if Nick Chubb got the ball
30 times a game the fan base would still
Gripe he isn't getting the ball 37 times
Ravens fans are complaining about Roman not
Being imaginative enough and there is no
Sizzle in the vertical passing game
Nothing would make Browns fans happier
Than the QB taking the snap , pivot and hand off
To Chubb 54 times a game

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

To Chubb 54 times a game

Yea,,, but on the coldest day of the year, Kevin dialed up more passes than runs!!... Also, how come we never during the whole game went 2 TE or bring in a extra lineman and go unbalanced running on one side? Or how about a draw play or a designed check down pass to a back?? Kevins play calling is so predictable is painful to watch sometimes.

1 member likes this: 79Jacketdog
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by DogNDC

To Chubb 54 times a game

Yea,,, but on the coldest day of the year, Kevin dialed up more passes than runs!!... Also, how come we never during the whole game went 2 TE or bring in a extra lineman and go unbalanced running on one side? Or how about a draw play or a designed check down pass to a back?? Kevins play calling is so predictable is painful to watch sometimes.
I was kinda glancing at the Pats game today
At BW3s...Joe Burrow threw the ball 35 times
By HALF TIME in extreme cold conditions
Mac Jones threw it 40 times by games end I think
It's funny to think if it's really cold out
You have by rule throw it under 20 times
And run it 58 times.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted by DogNDC
Look.. Can anyone really say that the Browns this year come out prepared, fired up and full of fight every game? No!!.. So who's job is that?? And how many times does the offensive coordinator for the Browns calls plays that head scratchers, wrongly timed, and usually not converted?? BTW, that same offensive coordinator has a offense that has not scored over 13pts since Watson came back. We all see that his play calling is never consistent. We know where the problem with the Browns lie, and it starts with the head coach!

I said this earlier but it bears repeating. Teams don't care about the Browns passing game. They are willing to roll the dice on the passing game and live with the results because st the end of the day they just don't fear it. This started about 5 games ago. Teams simply focus on stopping the run. That's it. Just stop the run. It doesn't appear Stefanski has any answers for it. A little concerning considering Watson came back 4.games ago.

I mentioned Payton earlier but that's a pipe dream considering the comp that would be required. Would love Harbaugh. You simply can't go into next year hoping Stefanski becomes competent. You can't trust the careers of the players and staff to hope.

Legend
Legend
We are REGULARLY behind the sticks after his first down play selection. "Third and two" haunted us today. We have some plays which aren't working well but being called repeatedly. Ski's play calling isn't generating wins; it is predictable; I suspect his judgment. Surely MANY coaches as OC play callers could equal his point production. The drops and flags are problems. This team may not be worse now than the "shoulda won" games early in the season, but it would be arguable which is the pick of that litter.
Are we better now? Have we shown the growth that needed to happen moving forward that gets mentioned after every loss? Especially by Ski? I do not understand the premium he places on "taking ownership" of losses. Why should that matter to any fan? Personally, I am sick of these post-loss interviews with these kumbiyah moments and rosy assurances that XXX will learn YYY and get the win ZZZ after they have learned from the mistake and corrected the same. I think we have lowered the bar considerably this season. We cannot reliably beat even the ones we should. The status quo is sacred. Why he is still calling plays is beyond me. Change something. We are wasting this overly-hyped roster. At least fail in new directions trying to solve problem issues we fall to weekly. Living in Ground Hog Day many weekends. Thank you, sir, and may I have another?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Good first half. In the second half our offense couldn't do much at all. Sad.

Regardless, Merry Christmas everybody!

Merry Christmas to you and yours 3rd!

Legend
Legend
I felt like Stefanski heard the narrative that we run it too much on 2nd and long and he just did the opposite today haha. We just have zero rhythm and consistency. The entire year has been a mess

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
He is simply the worst. I hope we lose the last two games huge so Haslam has no choice. You have to send Stefanski and Depo packing. See if Harbaugh will sign off on Berry.

Look, this has to be a very attractive job with a franchise qb in his prime as well plenty of talent throughout the roster. Coaches should be calling the Browns telling them they want to come here. You have negatives in Depo and Haslam which could impact that but geez don't blow this opportunity to get a real coach here. It will never be more attractive than it is now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't worry. When they lose out the coaching staff and FO are all gone.

Legend
Legend
The Payton/Fangio combo is really enticing, however I’m not sure they’d want to be here (or if we have the ammo to trade New Orleans)

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Payton won't come with Depo here and might not come with Berry here.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
He is simply the worst. I hope we lose the last two games huge so Haslam has no choice.

The last two games will have zero bearing on Stefanski returning. He's coming back, as is DePo. Haslam does not allow a deal like Conklin's to happen if the whole gang isn't returning.

Woods will be gone. His defense has been bad.

At most, Stefanski will do what Nick Sirianni did 2/3 of the way through his first season as HC, and give up play-calling duties to become more of a CEO. Personally, this would surprise me nut not an impossibility.

The Joe Woods Experience.

Merry Christmas to all!

Legend
Legend
Yeah he’d have to be the GM (or help hire his guy)

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Plaster this across the board. The Browns will regret giving Stefanski another season.

I am always right about this stuff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Plaster this across the board. The Browns will regret giving Stefanski another season.

I am always right about this stuff.

Did they ?

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's certainly possible Stefanski fails in 2023 and ultimately gets fired. The real fun starts when J-Dubs is heading up the HC search committee!

J-Dubs and Jimmy were "yes" votes on Kitchens.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I try not to think about J-Dubs. I hope Haslam lives to be 110 years old. And that's saying something.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Brighter future...Steelers culture/organization/ownership, Tomlin, Pickett...or Browns culture/organization/ownership, Stefanski, Watson?

Can't believe I'm even asking this.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Milk Man
He is simply the worst. I hope we lose the last two games huge so Haslam has no choice.

The last two games will have zero bearing on Stefanski returning. He's coming back, as is DePo. Haslam does not allow a deal like Conklin's to happen if the whole gang isn't returning.

Woods will be gone. His defense has been bad.

At most, Stefanski will do what Nick Sirianni did 2/3 of the way through his first season as HC, and give up play-calling duties to become more of a CEO. Personally, this would surprise me nut not an impossibility.

The Joe Woods Experience.

Merry Christmas to all!

LMAO. Is Woods even trying anymore?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He's averaged 4.9 yards a carry on 3rd down for his career.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Good first half. In the second half our offense couldn't do much at all. Sad.

Regardless, Merry Christmas everybody!

Merry Christmas to you and yours 3rd!

Same back at you SB!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by dawg66

He's averaged 4.9 yards a carry on 3rd down for his career.

That is a wonderful stat. It still doesn't make him a good short yardage, 3rd down back. I also see us running more RPO's. I don't think he is a good back in that type of O.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
People keep talking about Peyton as some miraculous coaching solution, but have what did he do without Drew Brees, we only have one 9-8 season to know.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's to the point that some of you are actually hoping we lose so you can further your agenda. We win last week and the Post Game thread is quiet. We win 3 out of 4 and people diss our opponents or say nothing at all. We lose and the board lights up.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Some coaches have personalities that infect their teams with a will to win. Some are genius play callers who draw up brilliant game plans and make astute halftime adjustments. A few can do it all. What exactly does Stefanski do well?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have a legit question about the man vs zone coverage thing that people are bringing up. I love Burns and his analysis, but what is his point? Are folks really arguing that man coverage is superior to zone coverage? LOL........it's not. Not even close, especially in today's NFL where there are so many dual-threat qbs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I have a legit question about the man vs zone coverage thing that people are bringing up. I love Burns and his analysis, but what is his point? Are folks really arguing that man coverage is superior to zone coverage? LOL........it's not. Not even close, especially in today's NFL where there are so many dual-threat qbs.

I agree, not to mention that the rules in place make it very difficult to play man coverage. Dixson and Minnifield would be bums in todays NFL.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think most teams mix it up. There are various zone coverages and then there is Cover 0 and Cover 1 in man. Cover 3 has some man tendencies w/their outside corners, but good QBs will destroy teams that play too much Man. Earlier this year, I posted the percentages of which teams play the most Man. They were ranked from 1-32. The better defenses [by a wide margin] play more zone and less man. That may have changed over the course of the year, but I doubt it changed too much. For example, Buffalo played more zone than anyone.

The real key for all of this is to give the offense one look presnap and then play another post snap. That's what causes confusion and keeps offenses off-balance. For example, give a Cover 2 look and switch to Cover 4. Or, give a Cover 4 look and actually play a Cover 6, which is Cover 4 on one side of the field and Cover 2 on the other.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And I am not sure we are very good at giving one look pre-snap v. what we end up playing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

I think the point is supposed to be the following:

1, all teams play a mix of man and zone
2, we seem to be better when we play man
3, we play more zone than man

Just my interpretation of what was posted

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Saints 17 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard