Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Kiddie hour is upon us.

Yeah but you'll never take responsibility for throwing out the opening salvo kiddie.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
This feels like perhaps the quietest Black Monday in a long time, but I could be mistaken.

I think a couple of guys might deserve being fired.

--Todd Bowles in TB. Dude has been an outright disaster. He sucked in NY in his last stint. Of course, he is in the playoffs and it would be dumb to fire him now.

--Brandon Staley for the Chargers. Worst HC in the league by far. They are in the playoffs, so again, can't be fired right now.

--McCarthy in Dallas. Also in the playoffs, but he is going to be the fall guy at some point.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That made me laugh out loud about how Lovie stuck it to the racist Texan organization.

Yeah, the racist that hired a black NFL HC. Spreading watson's lies isn't a good look.

McNair has had a history of racial insensitivity in statements he has made. Many people think that makes him racist, not just Watson. Letting the inmates run the prison and China Virus are two of the things I remember.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This feels like perhaps the quietest Black Monday in a long time, but I could be mistaken.

I think a couple of guys might deserve being fired.

--Todd Bowles in TB. Dude has been an outright disaster. He sucked in NY in his last stint. Of course, he is in the playoffs and it would be dumb to fire him now.

--Brandon Staley for the Chargers. Worst HC in the league by far. They are in the playoffs, so again, can't be fired right now.

--McCarthy in Dallas. Also in the playoffs, but he is going to be the fall guy at some point.

It's posts like this that makes a person wonder what the heck.

Staley has been coach of the Chargers for two years now with a record of 19-15-0 .559 and in the playoffs this year as the #5 seed with the AFC's 4th best record.

McCarthy has been the coach of the Cowboys for 3 years now with a record of 30-20-0 .600 and the last 2 years of 24-10-0 .706 and the second straight year in the playoffs. he had the #3 seed as NFC East Champ in 2021-2022 and the #5 seed this year with the 4th best record in the NFC. McCarthy also has a Super Bowl win as a HC.

Bowles had a tough year 1 as the TBB HC but he did win the NFC South, has the #4 seed in the playoffs at 8-9-0 .471.

Comparative timelines:

2022 - Stefanski CLE 7-10-0 - .412 - last place AFC North
2022 - Bowles TBB__ 8-9-0 - .471 - 1st place NFC South w/playoff bid (yet you say he's an outright disaster)

2021-2022 - Stefanski CLE 15-19-0 - .441 - 3rd place 2021, last place 2022
2021-2022 - Staley LAC _ 19-15-0 - .559 - 3rd place 2021, 2nd place 2022 w/playoff bid (yet you say the worst coach in the league by far)

2020-2022 - Stefanski CLE 26-24-0 - .520 - 3rd place 2020 w/playoff bid, 3rd place 2021, last place 2022
2020-2022 - McCarthy DAL 30-20-0 - .600 - 3rd place 2020, 1st Place NFC East 2021 w/playoff bid, 2nd place 2022 w/playoff bid (yet you say he is going to be the fall guy at some point)

It's amazing that you can post that these three coaches deserve to be fired yet each and every one of them in the comparative years has outperformed Stefanski by a lot. Then still, you claim Stefanski deserves another year in Cleveland? There's only one guy on this post that deserves to be fired and that's the poorest performer of the 4 - Stefanski - according to your guidelines. The NFL is still about wins and losses and every one of these guys have a better record than Stefanski.

Last edited by steve0255; 01/09/23 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: Floquinho, WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
That made me laugh out loud about how Lovie stuck it to the racist Texan organization.

Yeah, the racist that hired a black NFL HC. Spreading watson's lies isn't a good look.

McNair has had a history of racial insensitivity in statements he has made. Many people think that makes him racist, not just Watson. Letting the inmates run the prison and China Virus are two of the things I remember.

Bob said the inmates quote... he passed away a few years ago... Cal said the China virus... cal also hired two black HCs in a row... of course he fired both after a year....

Last edited by jaybird; 01/09/23 10:11 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I can see Bowles and Staley being gone, especially if Brady is gone in TB and Payton wants the LA job

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Bowles deserves to be fired. He took a talented team and ran it into the ground.. dude is a great DC but always a disaster as headcoach-

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Bowles deserves to be fired. He took a talented team and ran it into the ground.. dude is a great DC but always a disaster as headcoach-

On the surface, I can see where your thought process might be going with regards to Bowles. As the HC, he's responsible for the results of his team and they took a step backwards - year 1 or not. However, I don't see anyone saying the TBB needs to fire their OC or DC - it's being claimed that Bowles is the disaster.

Just a couple of questions though. As a 1st year HC, doesn't Bowles deserve a little leeway? Afterall, he did win their division and secured a playoff bid at 8-9 this year. What does that say about our Browns HC who went 7-10 in his 3rd year with a talented team and finished in last place in the AFC North? Oh wait, that was all Woods (the DC) fault. Couldn't one who is outside of Cleveland be justified in saying that Stefanski "took a talented team and ran it into the ground?" Ahem, two years in a row mind you if we're comparing apples to apples.

As an avid NFL fan, making comparisons and or having a critical eye upon your opponents is a natural thing to partake in. I'm not trying to defend Bowles either. I believe he had a very questionable year, playoff team or not. However, IMHO, it's hypocritical to say a Bowles "deserves to be fired" when our very own HC just posted his third-year record of 7-10 that has gotten progressively worse each year he's been here and with a straight face say, "he deserves another year." I mean, isn't Stefanski responsible for taking a talented playoff team and running it into the ground with his 8-9 third place finish in 2021 and his 7-10 last place finish in 2022 with no playoff bid either year?

In another post on this thread, it's being claimed that Staley from the LA Chargers also deserves to be fired because and I quote, "he's the worst coach in the league by far," yet Staley's record over the last 2-years with an upcoming playoff appearance is well over .500 at .559 compared to Stefanski's 2-year record of 15-19 at .441. In neither case do I see any reference to any type of excuse like injuries or the capabilities of their OC or DC. Yet with Stefanski, it's a basket full of excuses as our fans take pot shots at other organizations HC's claiming they should be fired who are in the playoffs and clearly outperforming our team and its HC.

I just don't believe we should be throwing stones when we live in a huge glass house. Two years in a row with a losing record while getting progressively worse "with a talented team" while never finishing higher than 3rd place in the AFC North under Stefanski is not screaming "deserves another year." If these other HC's have earned the privilege to be on the "deserves to be fired list," opinion list then Stefanski should be holding the top spot on such a list.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird

Bob said the inmates quote... he passed away a few years ago... Cal said the China virus... cal also hired two black HCs in a row... of course he fired both after a year....

A racist wouldn't have hired them in the first place.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cal also appointed Romeo Crennel as the interim HC in 2020 making him the first black HC in the Texans franchise history. So, Cal has fired 1 white HC and has since hired 3 black HC's in succession. I'm pretty sure a racist wouldn't be hiring no one but black HC's since taking over the team like Cal has done.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I posted numerous articles about the racism that infects that organization. It is not something I invented. And everyone w/a brain knows why Lovie and Culley were hired. The team was going to be an outright disaster in both years and most knew that both would be fired after just one year. They were PR moves designed to deflect attention away from the claims that they were racist.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by jaybird

A racist wouldn't have hired them in the first place.

Here's what they are basing it on. "Insensitive comments".

Here's the evidence. They drafted watson, a black QB to be the face of their franchise. Then they extended him to a long term extension. They have and have hired black HC's. It's amazing that they take some off hand comments more seriously than their actions. Yet somehow they think watson had some epiphany after signing that contract. Amazing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I posted numerous articles about the racism that infects that organization. It is not something I invented.

And I posted many articles showing that watson chose to sit out after not having a say in the hiring of the new HC and GM. It appears you would rather buy into something you wish to believe. According to your theory watson suddenly had some epiphany about what is claimed to be a long term pattern. Yeah, sure, that's it.

Just ignore they drafted a black QB to be the face of their franchise and also extended him to a long term contract. Ignore that they have hired three black HC's in a row. Yes, ignore all of the actual evidence and buy into some lame excuse watson threw out there to try and make excuses for his hold out.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Posting articles that Watson chose to sit out the season is proof that the Texans are not racist? LMAO

P
Legend
Legend
P
No the evidence of drafting a black QB and giving him a long term extension is a measure of proof. Hiring three black HC's in a row is evidence. Of course I know you ignoring their actions in certain circumstances is convenient for you. Especially when you said in another thread you pay attention to people's actions. Of course that's when you were saying that speaking of Baker. Now you're doing the opposite to defend watson. Typical.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
In case anyone wants to know........Watson was not the only one who accused the Texans of being racist. There were numerous players and other people who said the same thing. It's all out there if anyone cares to check.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
And the facts of the matter be damned.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Off the top of my head, I think Cook and Tunsil (when he was w/HOU) made comments about that.

Legend
Legend
I don’t know the McNairs so I’m not going to call them racist. I posted what I remembered ( apparently incorrectly since I was corrected) just to show people other than Watson had something to say on the issue.

Your facts showing the McNairs aren’t racist don’t hold much water either. We have seen NBA owners lose their teams because of racist things they have said coming to light. Those same owners have had black men as heads of their organizations and faces of their franchises. Richardson of the Panthers is an example in the NFL.

The fact is we don’t know what is in their hearts. I think you are only defending them because of it was Vers who said what he did. I know from the past you took great issue with the “Chinese Virus “ and people who use the term.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you are going to call people racists you should probably post the links to back it up. That word gets thrown around this place way too much and imo it is wrong to do.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: PastorMarc, archbolddawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
I understand, but I posted multiple links while we were discussing Watson before the season. I truly didn't want to have that topic dominate this thread.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet you threw it out there. You see, what makes it hard to believe is that everyone knew watson was either told or believed that he would have some say in the hiring of a new HC. He didn't get that. So one week after the new HC was hired without him having that input he suddenly had some epiphany that the organization was racist? I don't think even you believe that.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Liked him better with the Fabio hair....

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is not a firing, but I couldn't find a Head Coach news thread.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Interesting, but part of me has always thought Drew Brees helped make Sean Payton’s reputation. Not saying he’s not a good coach, or that I’m correct, just throwing it out there.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Interesting, but part of me has always thought Drew Brees helped make Sean Payton’s reputation. Not saying he’s not a good coach, or that I’m correct, just throwing it out there.

No doubt... I think Sean is a great coach but it helps to have a HOF QB...

I'm not sure Sean would go to Denver unless he thinks Wilson can still be an elite QB (or they have plans to bring in someone new).

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........so Sean Payton reportedly wanted to go to the Chargers. Insiders report that the Chargers have a history of not wanting to pay HCs a lot of money, so what do they do? They keep the idiot Staley [who is the worst HC in the league in my opinion] and announce the following:

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOL........so Sean Payton reportedly wanted to go to the Chargers. Insiders report that the Chargers have a history of not wanting to pay HCs a lot of money, so what do they do? They keep the idiot Staley [who is the worst HC in the league in my opinion] and announce the following:

Exactly what the Browns did with Stefanski except Staley has a better 2-year record by far with a playoff appearance. Your opinion is the HC (who has had a better record than our HC) is responsible for a playoff loss and should be fired but our poorer performing HC is not responsible so fire our DC Woods and give him another year. Now you're entitled to your opinion as am I, but you're not entitled to distort the facts and the fact of the matter is that Staley has had a better record these last 2 years that he's been HC of the Chargers than Stefanski has while being the HC of the Browns over the same period. Wins and losses are all that matters when comparing head coaches. That said, I respectfully factually disagree with your opinion that "Staley is the worst HC in the league."

Last edited by steve0255; 01/17/23 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Legend
Legend
Do you watch the Chargers much? I’m not going to rank all the coaches but he is awful in game coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Do you watch the Chargers much? I’m not going to rank all the coaches but he is awful in game coach.

I have the NFL Ticket, so I have seen a fair amount of Chargers games especially with the time difference. I will ask the exact same question of you. Do you watch the Browns much? I can say with confidence that Stefanski is equally as awful an in-game coach. Careful cause there's been a multitude of posts on this forum questioning everything from Stefanski's time management, play calling, and personnel decisions costing the Browns games the last two years.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I doubt he has watched them. Staley has been called out over and over and over on a national level for his clock management, in-game decisions, etc. No other than butt-hurt Baker fans do that w/Stefanski.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I doubt he has watched them. Staley has been called out over and over and over on a national level for his clock management, in-game decisions, etc. No other than butt-hurt Baker fans do that w/Stefanski.

On top of that, I got the sense that Staley was not taking much, if any, accountability for the playoff meltdown.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
He blamed multiple players when he was interviewed after the game.

Btw--------I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I am guessing that more DawgTalkers are watching other teams now that the playoffs are here than they do during the regular season. I bet the objective among you recognize how ridiculous some of the accusations against Stefanski have been. A few examples:

--Clock management. See all the blunders? Miami, Chargers, Ravens, Vikings, etc. Stefanski is perhaps the best clock manager in the entire league.

--Going for it on 4th down. See how that is now the norm and not some stupid decision by Stefanski?

--Abandoning the run game. See how we actually run the ball more than almost everyone and how teams like the Chargers, Jax, Bills, Vikings, Giants, etc, etc ignored running the ball way too much?

--Play calling on short yardage. How about that call by Harbaugh on the goal line when you have J.K. Dobbins in the backfield?

P
Legend
Legend
P
No other than butt-hurt Baker fans do that w/Stefanski.

And this is your go to while claiming others are the bullies.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
He blamed multiple players when he was interviewed after the game.

Btw--------I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I am guessing that more DawgTalkers are watching other teams now that the playoffs are here than they do during the regular season. I bet the objective among you recognize how ridiculous some of the accusations against Stefanski have been. A few examples:

--Clock management. See all the blunders? Miami, Chargers, Ravens, Vikings, etc. Stefanski is perhaps the best clock manager in the entire league.

--Going for it on 4th down. See how that is now the norm and not some stupid decision by Stefanski?

--Abandoning the run game. See how we actually run the ball more than almost everyone and how teams like the Chargers, Jax, Bills, Vikings, Giants, etc, etc ignored running the ball way too much?

--Play calling on short yardage. How about that call by Harbaugh on the goal line when you have J.K. Dobbins in the backfield?

Those ^ teams are in the playoffs and we finished below .500. Using the failures of playoff HCs to pump up Ski's repeated blunders is silly.

V
Legend
Legend
V

V
Legend
Legend
V
Actually, what's silly is how some of you fail to see that all coaches receive criticism and then come on here and trash our coach as if the other coaches don't do questionable things. Stefanski might be the very best in the league at clock management.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
All coaches have weaknesses and at times they make mistakes. In most every case it's not an all or nothing proposition. When anyone focuses on all of the negatives or all of the positives without recognizing anything the other side has to say about it, that's when both sides tend to lose the ability to think rationally about any given topic.

I'll use this as an example. Some blame the entire 7-10 record on Stefanski. I don't believe that's a fair assessment of the situation. Some try to say Stefanski had nothing to do with the 7-10 record and somehow it was everyone elses fault. That too isn't a fair assessment. As per usual the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really haven't read where anyone has said that Stefanski deserves no blame for the record. We did finish 7 and 10, but almost all prognosticators predicted the Browns would win 6-7 games this year. They were pretty much correct. I predicted 8-10. I was wrong, w/8 and 9 being more likely than 10. I was wrong.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's great if you believe that any of those prognosticators would have believed it was possible that the Browns would have had a top 10 offense with Brissett as the starting QB. Nobody had a clue that would happen. Had that have been known beforehand you can bet anything those predictions would have been that the Browns would win more games than 7. And I certainly give Stefanski credit for helping to make that happen.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Head Coach Firings

Link Copied to Clipboard