Next Thread
Print Thread
#1997783 01/06/23 12:21 PM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns vs Steelers in green. Greg Gumbel and Adam Archuleta on the call. See you next season, Spero!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2022&wk=18

Legend
Legend
WTH? They're showing the bungles over the Browns in NW Ohio. That's a judgment call that's not going to fly well around here.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: dawg66
B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe. I assume they based their decisions on something.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Maybe. I assume they based their decisions on something.

Probably the chance for new eyeballs that don't normally watch games, now tuning in because of the story lines surrounding Damar Hamlin? Seems like all the regions have shrunk and most of the country will see the Bills game.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
makes sense.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That’s one of the smaller areas you’ll see for a Steeler game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jfanent
WTH? They're showing the bungles over the Browns in NW Ohio. That's a judgment call that's not going to fly well around here.

I don't understand it either, I'm 45 minutes north of Dayton and this are is split 50/50 between the Bungles and the Browns so I would expect northwestern Ohio to be even more pro Browns.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawg66

I don't understand it either, I'm 45 minutes north of Dayton and this are is split 50/50 between the Bungles and the Browns so I would expect northwestern Ohio to be even more pro Browns.

We have some bandwagon bungle fans, but if you look at the gear worn around here, it's at least 10:1 in favor of the Browns. My NW Ohio bros will verify this. We even have more Browns fans than Lions fans, and we're in the Lions catchment area.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
I HATE this. Again. How many times this year???

Legend
Legend
This sux a latte. Squeezed for Bungles who are locked up. Hate this. NFL could stagger this. Hating on us again it appears.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I HATE this. Again. How many times this year???

4, by my count.
Worst year in recent memory.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B

NW Ohio is also full of Lions fans. It isn't a solid Browns nation in that part of the state. At least there the Lions are in a different conference so you can see people with 2 teams in which they have rooting interest.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

jfan..for years I fought with Toledo stations about the fact that our area..NW, Ohio about why they refused to show the Browns even though we were closer to Cleveland than Detroit or Cinci and that our area was primarily Browns fans...the stations response to me was always the same...that I needed to be talking to the NFL because the local TV stations do not make the call on which games are shown in the NW, Ohio area...that decision comes directly from the NFL in NYCity.

Try to find someone from the NFL that will take your call/complaint. I could never get anyone from the NFL to return my calls.

Last edited by mac; 01/07/23 09:24 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Well, I guess its too much to ask for the last Browns game of the year to be on in Ohio's capital city of Columbus.

Unacceptable. CBS needs to switch to the Browns game.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

jfan..for years I fought with Toledo stations about the fact that our area..NW, Ohio about why they refused to show the Browns even though we were closer to Cleveland than Detroit or Cinci and that our area was primarily Browns fans...the stations response to me was always the same...that I needed to be talking to the NFL because the local TV stations do not make the call on which games are shown in the NW, Ohio area...that decision comes directly from the NFL in NYCity.

Try to find someone from the NFL that will take your call/complaint. I could never get anyone from the NFL to return my calls.

And that is probably mostly true. The NFL looks at ratings and needs to patch together enough potential viewers for each game. Advertisers need to see household numbers, from which they can figure out the probable viewership.

It isn't a conspiracy, it is just good business.

The league does what is best for the entire league. If it was up to Jimmy Haslam, every TV in Ohio would be getting the game, but it isn't done like that

Also, Toledo is closer to Detroit than Cleveland. It's measured by the hub of the TV market, not your house.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/07/23 10:39 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Let them vent, bro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to steer off-course for just a moment. I do feel bad for guys like jfan, Clem, and others. However, it makes me think about how we have had the Sunday Ticket on Direct TV for so long. My wife and son are Steeler fans, so we had it before we left Ohio. Obviously, we have had it ever since we left Ohio. Thus, none of these decisions affected us. But, I do remember coming back to our home in Ohio that we kept until after my mother passed and I would just order service from the local cable station for those times. Watching only one game at a time drove me nuts, especially when I was up there for multiple months preparing the house for sale.

I was really hoping that Apple or Amazon would get the Sunday Ticket deal. I feel it would have been cheaper and the customer service would be better than Direct TVs. I think the YouTube package[s] are going to cost even more and I doubt the telecasts will be as good as Direct TVs. It's nice to be able to FF and Rewind all the time. It's nice to be able to record multiple games. The picture was high quality. Not sure we are going to get that w/YouTube. Also, we have been able to watch every Ohio State game ever since we left Ohio due to our package. I wonder if that ends now that we will be cancelling Direct TV?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NW Ohio is also full of Lions fans. It isn't a solid Browns nation in that part of the state. At least there the Lions are in a different conference so you can see people with 2 teams in which they have rooting interest.

I know that there are a bunch of Lions fans up there being that Detroit isn't that far away I was just comparing the number of Browns fans to Bungles fans up that way. I can usually watch the Browns on one of the Dayton TV stations unless we play the same time and on the same station as the Bengals like this week then I can usually watch the Browns on one of the Lima stations but not this week for some odd reason.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

And that is probably mostly true. The NFL looks at ratings and needs to patch together enough potential viewers for each game. Advertisers need to see household numbers, from which they can figure out the probable viewership.

The league does what is best for the entire league. If it was up to Jimmy Haslam, every TV in Ohio would be getting the game, but it isn't done like that

Also, Toledo is closer to Detroit than Cleveland. It's measured by the hub of the TV market, not your house.

I understand that we get pre-empted for Lions games, we're in the Lions catchment area and not Cleveland's. (I think that was a typo on mac's part). This doesn't involve the Lions. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that in NW Ohio, the Browns fans outnumber the bungle fans by at least 10:1. It makes no sense to show the bungles over the Browns here.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't doubt you.

When the Browns start winning, you will probably get more games.

I feel for you guys, good luck in your quest.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think the YouTube package[s] are going to cost even more and I doubt the telecasts will be as good as Direct TVs. It's nice to be able to FF and Rewind all the time. It's nice to be able to record multiple games. The picture was high quality. Not sure we are going to get that w/YouTube. Also, we have been able to watch every Ohio State game ever since we left Ohio due to our package. I wonder if that ends now that we will be cancelling Direct TV?

Can't speak directly to how YT will handle the Ticket. But their streaming is head and shoulders above all others. I'm guessing you have to have the streaming format to include the Ticket, it won't be cheap, but you'll be cancelling all services as YT is a stand alone programming choice that offers more than enough options to replace cable, DirecTV, etc...

I never have any problems with picture quality, and YT never dials it back to lower resolution like Netflix (at which point i have to pause, back out, change resolution, etc, etc... 30 clicks to get back to what I'm watching in normal rez)... On rare occasion it may buffer for a moment and then continue.

DVR is unlimited. One click records all subsequent NFL games (or any program, sport, or just "Cavs"). Recordings are available for six months (longer if the show has been rebroadcast at any time during that period). I've watched every Buckeye game since I've had it.

User interface absolutely blows away any other platform I've seen... including navigation with the remote. Every RW or FF is a 15 second increment if you "click"... If you hold down the button, it's gradually faster until you're ripping through a three hour program, with a thumbnail, in about 20-25 seconds. And it all works seamlessly during the broadcast.

Youtube is Google. They have 55 trillion dollars lol. There won't be any hitches with the rollout, there were zero when they started YTTV. You'll be pleasantly pleased and surprised; although you will sell another little piece of your soul to Google.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
R
Legend
Legend
R
They should hire you. That sold me. Except I have to go fubo so I can get Golden Knight games. From what I can tell I can't get local NHL on YouTube TV. If you don't have YouTube TV will you be able to get the NFL standalone?

Everyone sells their sole to Google and Apple. Just a sign of the current times.

Legend
Legend
My biggest beef with YTTV is that they dropped Bally sports in 2020. I'm no longer able to get the Red Wings and Cavs games. Now that Bally has their own streaming network, I'd have to get separate packages at 19.99/month to watch them. I don't watch that much TV to make it worth my while.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Not sure how they'll work the "standalone". My guess is it will be priced towards going all in as a no-brainer, even if it is priced separately.

Jfan... didn't realize YT ever had Bally. From what I've read, Bally was making that move regardless...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you know if YouTube offers the Big 10 Network? I'd like to purchase that in case the Buckeyes are not on Fox, ESPN, or ABC. That usually happens once or twice a year, but just as it w/the Browns, I don't like missing any games. I really don't want to have a bunch of separate bills to pay for, especially considering I don't watch broadcast TV or even the news. I just watch sports, and a few movies and shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Legend
Legend
Yes, they have always had the Big 10 Network.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Browns vs Steelers in green. Greg Gumbel and Adam Archuleta on the call. See you next season, Spero!

I'm not calling that map a liar but looking ahead on my channel guide to 1pm Sunday on WKBN Youngstown it lists the Bengals/Ravens game as being on. Now, I feel for you good people in southwest Ohio, or northwest Ohio, or Columbus - but if Youngstown Ohio, directly the frack in the middle of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, airs the Bengals game over the Browns/Steelers it is the height of ignorance. I can only assume it is a glitch on the channel guide - guess I'll find out tomorrow.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bigdatut
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I'm not calling that map a liar but looking ahead on my channel guide to 1pm Sunday on WKBN Youngstown it lists the Bengals/Ravens game as being on. Now, I feel for you good people in southwest Ohio, or northwest Ohio, or Columbus - but if Youngstown Ohio, directly the frack in the middle of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, airs the Bengals game over the Browns/Steelers it is the height of ignorance. I can only assume it is a glitch on the channel guide - guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I don't believe they can carry anything over the Browns/Steelers in Youngstown. They have to show one team or the other, depending on which team is home or road. With the teams playing each other, I think they have to show the game. TitanTV shows the Browns playing on 27, but Dish shows the Rats. We'll see who's right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
They should hire you. That sold me. Except I have to go fubo so I can get Golden Knight games. From what I can tell I can't get local NHL on YouTube TV. If you don't have YouTube TV will you be able to get the NFL standalone?

Everyone sells their sole to Google and Apple. Just a sign of the current times.

I get the impression you can subscribe to the NFL deal as a stand alone, but time will tell if that is correct.

As for quality, it will depend on your net provider. If you are using AOL dial-up, it will probably be pretty bad. I just ran a speed test. It shows a download of 143, upload of 80. I don't know much about it, but everything I can find makes me think it is good enough. All of my TV's run through net streaming and i have no problems with them.

The only problem is every now and then the audio doesn't sync close enough to the visual. I don't like that 1950's Japanese Godzilla movie look and have to take 30 seconds to manually adjust the sync

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

I understand that we get pre-empted for Lions games, we're in the Lions catchment area and not Cleveland's. (I think that was a typo on mac's part). This doesn't involve the Lions. I wasn't exaggerating when I said that in NW Ohio, the Browns fans outnumber the bungle fans by at least 10:1. It makes no sense to show the bungles over the Browns here.

jfan...it was not a typo as my circumstances are a bit different than those who are closer to Toledo.

I live closer to Cleveland than I do Detroit or Cinci or Indianapolis and to make my situation suck even more..at that time I lived one mile from the NFL's established border...one mile to the east and I would be watching the Browns instead of the Lions or Bengals. Same provider (Spectrum) was offer a NFL game at the same time but never took into account that our area was dominated by Browns fans. No one seemed to give a damn about the Browns fans.

I was attempting to find a happy medium where the fans could pay a fee, say $5, to watch those one or two games per year where this conflict was an issue. I guess no one was interested in earning some extra money while pleasing the Browns fan base.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
WTOL EDITORIAL: Clarification

WTOL EDITORIAL: Clarification to why Cleveland Browns football game was not televised on WTOL Sunday

I received several emails and some angry calls from viewers on Sunday expressing their unhappiness because the Cleveland Browns football game was not televised on WTOL. Let me explain: The CBS Network and the FOX Network have multi-year contracts with the NFL.

WTOL Vice President and General Manager Bob Chirdon
I received several emails and some angry calls from viewers on Sunday expressing their unhappiness because the Cleveland Browns football game was not televised on WTOL. Let me explain: The CBS Network and the FOX Network have multi-year contracts with the NFL.

CBS carries weekly AFC games and FOX carries weekly NFC games. WTOL 11 is and always has been, a CBS affiliate. When the Cleveland Browns are the AFC game and the game is being televised by CBS, WTOL will show the game. However, this past weekend, the Cleveland Browns/ Philadelphia Eagles game was an NFC game. That means it was televised by FOX.

Remember, WTOL 11 never has access to the FOX network feed. The Toledo television market is considered the NFL home market for the Detroit Lions when it is an NFC feed. So, when the Browns and the Lions are both on at the same time, as NFC games, WUPW Fox Toledo is obligated to carry the Detroit Lions game. That is what happened this weekend.

Legend
Legend
Maybe if the Browns had a chance for the playoffs they’d get that coverage. Just a thought.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I hate Greg Gumbel on our games lol it seems like we are like 5-100 when he’s calling them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
$5? No wonder you had no luck.

If you were that close it seems you could just pick up signal with an antenna.

Next year you should be able to get it on Youtube, though I'd bet it is more than $5 a game. My guess would be $15-$20 per game, and buying the whole season. No cherry picking here and there.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Crisis averted, my channel guide now show Browns/Steelers.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
3 members like this: FATE, Ballpeen, PitDAWG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
$5? No wonder you had no luck.

If you were that close it seems you could just pick up signal with an antenna.

Next year you should be able to get it on Youtube, though I'd bet it is more than $5 a game. My guess would be $15-$20 per game, and buying the whole season. No cherry picking here and there.

peen..my reference to the dollar amount WAS A SUGGESTION ... NOT A NEGOTIATION...

This situation comes about whenever the NFL decides to shovel some shieet on the Browns fans...once, twice or maybe 3 times a year. The NFL is fully aware that the area in question is predominately Browns fans and Jfan's reference to being by a 10:1 ration is likely accurate.

I already pay for a sports package from my cable provider and there are no Browns games listed as "unavailable" at the beginning of the season. Since I'm already paying for a sports package, why should the NFL have the right to step in any time they choose and remove a game from the Browns TV schedule that I've already paid for.? The NFL is simply targeting areas where they know that the fan population affected is high in viewers (Browns fans).

Of coarse the NFL offers their package of available games for more $$$...thus some viewers are paying twice in an attempt to see all the games. Again, the NFL never targets areas that have the least amount of affected viewers..they target areas where the most fans will be affected...such as the NW, Ohio area.

Legend
Legend
Good news!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season Gameday vs Pittsburgh Coverage Map Week 18

Link Copied to Clipboard