EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Not sure where the line is with gambling and promotional stuff. Sucks for it to happen

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Jake Paul taking over radio duties...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
If the NFL is so against betting then they should do away with all the draft kings/fan duel commercials. Otherwise they are hypocrits.

No Craps Given
2 members like this: lampdogg, GMdawg
Legend
Legend
Oh yeah its all hypocritical

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
It is hypocritical. Ridley was suspended for a year for playing a parlay sheet while he was away from the team. They hammer guys for any hint of gambling, yet have monetary allegiances w/gambling institutions.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
If the NFL is so against betting then they should do away with all the draft kings/fan duel commercials. Otherwise they are hypocrits.

Damn skippy! Bernie got screwed.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. So Bernie tried to make some money gambling like 10's of millions do every week (or days) in this country. He's not a player or a FO employee. SIGH!!!

Legend
Legend
I don't like this any more than anyone else. And yes, the whole gambling thing seems hypocritical.

Curious though... if it states in Bernie's contract that he can't bet on football... and he bet on football, how would that be okay??

E
EveDawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Are you inventing an imaginary story that Bernie violated a contract or do you have facts to back that up?

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Bern has to read the fine print. Also, is this like the second or third time the Browns have canned him?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by EveDawg

Damn skippy! Bernie got screwed.

No he didn't... as a NFL employee I guarantee you he's had to take multiple trainings that include that he can't gamble on games... I have to take the same damn trainings every year... there are certain things that will get you fired right away... gambling on an NFL game is...

I get that he was trying to do some kind of promotion... if that's the case he should have cleared it with the NFL/Browns beforehand to protect himself... he knew better

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
I don't like this any more than anyone else. And yes, the whole gambling thing seems hypocritical.

Curious though... if it states in Bernie's contract that he can't bet on football... and he bet on football, how would that be okay??

Every NFL employee goes through training to make it clear you can't beat on football... I guarantee you it's in his contract...

I love Berine... but he messed up... should have cleared it with the league beforehand...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I stand corrected then. I pretty much thought those rules would only apply to players, coaches and FO types in legal gambling areas.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
I stand corrected then. I pretty much thought those rules would only apply to players, coaches and FO types in legal gambling areas.

It's a bit nuts, but it's anyone employed by the NFL/team... I have to take gambling training every year... this year actually took a gambling training twice...

<><

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I'm surprised Bernie had 19 K to blow on gambling considering
His financial troubles over the years
His worst mistake was letting his dad oversee his finances
After he signed his 1st contract with the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

I was under the impression it wasn't his own money. He was just there as a prop.

I also heard "the Bull" say that Bernie got it cleared with the Browns. That was just something he said on the pod cast program he and a few other locals have. I don't know how accurate that might be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’d suspect that he’ll be able to return next season in the same capacity, especially if the Browns originally had OK’d the promotion.

The NFL really needs to find the best way to handle gambling stuff because it’s becoming too gray of an area … they have them as sponsors lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I get that people want to rush to defend Bernie here, but I don't understand it. He violated his contract. End of story.

And I'm not sure why people say this is hypocritical? I'm sure most people, if not all, employed and/or associated with the NFL, either directly or part of media, betting sites themselves, etc., are not allowed to sports gamble....for the clear and obvious reasons.

I think Bernie is VERY OVERRATED as any sort of analyst. I don't think losing him is anything significant, whatsoever. Often times it's tough to even understand what he is saying, even after he got off the booze.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
He is over rated. I am not so much defending the guy, but if he was told to go ahead, then something isn't right with that.

Again, that was something one of the pod guys was saying. I don't know if that in fact happened.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That’s what my point is as well … if he was told by the team that it was OK then he shouldn’t be reprimanded. Who knows the truth though

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I get that people want to rush to defend Bernie here, but I don't understand it. He violated his contract. End of story.

And I'm not sure why people say this is hypocritical? I'm sure most people, if not all, employed and/or associated with the NFL, either directly or part of media, betting sites themselves, etc., are not allowed to sports gamble....for the clear and obvious reasons.

I think Bernie is VERY OVERRATED as any sort of analyst. I don't think losing him is anything significant, whatsoever. Often times it's tough to even understand what he is saying, even after he got off the booze.

I read all that and I'm like "yeah, but he's Bernie"... and that's pretty much my only defense. He's one of us and he bleeds Brown and Orange.

Sucks that he was that stupid. He knows better.

You're 100% correct and there's no excuse for his actions. He paid the book, now he's got to pay the piper.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I read all that and I'm like "yeah, but he's Bernie"... and that's pretty much my only defense. He's one of us and he bleeds Brown and Orange.

Haha. I get that. Truly I do. He's a Browns' lifer, manipulated a draft to get to Cleveland, and has a pair of the Brown and Orange colored glasses like many of us do.

Maybe he can be our Offensive Coordinator now! brownie

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I was under the impression it wasn't his own money. He was just there as a prop.

I also heard "the Bull" say that Bernie got it cleared with the Browns. That was just something he said on the pod cast program he and a few other locals have. I don't know how accurate that might be.

That's what I heard too. Also heard that the only reason he was fired was that the NFL caught wind of the promotion and put pressure on the Browns to fire Bernie.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

If he got it cleared by the Browns he shouldn't have been fired...

<><

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I DGAF. Pro sports is quite hypocritical in terms of their stances on gambling.

FU, nfl. Bernie Kosar will always be cool in my book.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Bro, don't hold back. Keeping your emotions penned up that way isn't healthy. Let it all out and tell us how you really feel.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Looks like he picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
I wonder if the team and league knows they allowed a team to settle in Las Vegas... a Gambling Mecca?

Gaming and the NFL are tied together..

But, put all that aside, it was for charity...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns sever ties with Bernie after betting

Link Copied to Clipboard