Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2000816 01/20/23 09:54 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When the 2022 season began I think damn near everyone saw the issue at DT. Well maybe not quite everyone because Berry apparently thought differently.

Now many say we really need another receiver to stretch the field. Some believe linebacker.

A true free safety is another position that many feel needs to be improved.

From a defensive perspective do you build from the DL back or from the secondary forward?

I know a few people who look around the league and believe that the passing game and a high scoring offense is the way to win. They want the receivers that the Bengals have.

Perhaps you have to begin and look at the teams current roster. After that you have to analyze your cap position and draft capital. What are you able to do? Are there trades you can make to improve the team?

Jim Schwartz has the reputation of defensive line development. He wants pressure from his front. He believes quarterback pressure is imperative.

The failure of 2022 began and ended with the defense's inability to stop the run. We were exploited all year when it came to stopping the run. We had great difficulty getting the defense off the field.

IMO Berry and Stefanski looked at the team and decided we have to fix the DL. Woods was fired. Jim Schwartz was hired to fix the DL and put an end to communication issues on defense.

We don't have a first round pick. Cap space is something that can be manipulated. Berry knows his job.

Number one in my book remains from last year. Fix the DL. We have to get a run stopping defensive tackle.

The front four rotation at DE and DT has to succeed no matter the down or who is in there. We have to look at the DL as a unit. That means quality play on every down.

It will be interesting to see how Berry will proceed and who is added.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The number 1 need is a WR that can score from any part
Of the field. When was the last time the Browns had
A WR that really put fear in a secondary?
osh Gordon in 2013?
And before him who was it. ?
Playoff teams are driven by QBs WRs and pass rushers
The Browns have 2 of the 3.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think DT and backer are the top.

We have no DT's and taki might be the only backer, and he isn't that good. JOK isn't a backer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defensively the first thing you do when building a team is find Pass Rushers whether that be from DEs, DTs, or LBs. If your opponent doesn't have time to throw than it doesn't matter who you have in the secondary. The problem we have at DT is that our staff preferred smaller penetrating DTs and none of the guys we had are very good at that, Bryan is probably the best but on a good team he would be a backup. Right now we have holes at both DT spots, RDE, FS, and as of this moment our starting LBs would be JOK, Phillips, and Fields because Jones, Walker, and Takitaki are all Free Agents. Hopefully Berry and KS can get these holes filled with quality players because our window of opportunity is closing quickly.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Like baseball, I believe you must be strong up the middle, so FS, MLB(s), DL brute as first minimum, then branch out. Don't think you can favor one level over another beyond a certain part. But again, it's not dependent on which scheme; moreso, it is how you play it. Statistically, zone may be better and more used; I think it is most popular. But if you play it badly with huge cushions, slow reactions, wrong first moves, and fails, it needs fixed to become more aggressively effective. We weren't good in a lot of it. You owe it to the team to win your war. I am excited to see this bully play out of us.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Absolutely everything said above and before on other threads is 100% correct (DTs, LB, FS, WR, correct use of JOK, etc.....).

But truly the number one need for our Browns is the convergence of the obvious tangibles with the heretofore elusive intangibles for one entire season (the things we've been arguing about since around 2002). AKA: luck.

But that's true for any NFL team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Number one need for Schwartz's defense to work is a quality interior d-lineman.

Would not surprise me to see the Browns go after Javon Hargrave. Daron Payne or Dalvin Tomlinson would be a nice consolation prizes.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Defensive Tackle is #1 priority.

A true free safety is #2 unless they move Martin Emerson there.

They do need another wide receiver to stretch the field. Offense needs to be more explosive than 2022.

Then a Defensive End to replace Clowney.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Milk Man
P
Legend
Legend
P
Considering they gave out a guaranteed 230 million dollar contract, three first round draft picks and more, I'm not sure that what the teams #1 need is will take precedence. Everyone has a different perspective and angle as to what the #1 need is.

For this FO I think they will consider making that contract payoff in a big way to show the fan base they know what they're doing ranks #1 on their priority list. The Browns are a billion dollar plus corporation. I know as fans people think about them as a sport and they are. But they are professional businessmen. A return on their investment and growing their value is their first priority as it is and as it should be with all corporate entities. But sometimes I think fans lose sight of that.

Looking at my priority list it would be at least one strong DT in the middle. A true FS and help at the LB'er position.

But when I consider that same question as it pertains to how the FO may view it, getting watson another quality target my be their biggest priority. You have to appease to the fan base and sell watson after what they paid for him. A lot of the newer generation of fans and even some of the older ones, prefer to see a high scoring, gun slinging, highlight feel type of a game. And as we've seen, the tendency of the NFL is to cater to that for anyone who can get a QB with an arm. Great defensive games don't hold the value and attention of the average NFL fan the way they used to. We hear games like that referred to as sleepers and snooze fests.

As such I think the Browns will consider a top WR the #1 priority. A high scoring team puts butts in the seats and sells merchandise. A top 10 defense? Not so much.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Someone to compliment Garrett and also someone to spell him in game.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
1) WR threat
2) DT
3) LT
4) TE depth
5) DB (because you always need more)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
One could say WR but being blue in the face with 20 years + with the screen name, nobody listens anyway, I mean,
only after they address defense twice, then their tertiary wants at defense then a lineman or kicker,
they'll get around to Wr. Again,
no,
not here, this @uestion is number one need. so, apart from repenting, getting Jesus, stopping serving false gods', only football related,
there has to be a change of thought. so, hate to say it, I think the number one need,
the number one need, is getting rid of Berry and Depo.
and if it had to be only one of those, Berry, ouch. How could I not pick Depo,? Who is doing more harm to the Browns winning? Berry or Depo? Can they simply let Berry have another draft? I hope not.
What will it look like after they do more of what they have done for the last 3 to 4 years.

OK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, ... Berry and Depo are the bee's freaking knees, pffff, and uhh, the number one need is wide receiver. SPIT that hurt to say... frown double frown.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
DT hands down and another Veteran WR

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Number one need? That's a good question!

I see many already mentioned WR. Having a top-rated QB who should be able to make WRs better. I guess I would not make that a top priority.

DTs? I wonder if the current DTs were hindered by Wood's scheme. The obvious intention was to get quicker tackles. Can Schwartz make do?

My opinion is you can't have enough edge rushers and corners.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If you go back to the time of Joe Montanna, it could be argued that''' that incredibly talented TE that comes around only ever so often might be seven to twelve times harder to ac@uire on a roster than a franchise @uarterback, and everyone knows how valuable a franchise @b is.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Deandre Hopkins, a Disaster of an idea at first reaction,

may not be a complete disaster, probably, but

but surely would not be a hero game changing savior to the Browns chances to try and win the North next year,
another old cast off from another team, trying to re live 20I4, it' is not time to be stuck in 20I8, for an aging guy on the back end of his career? Do you think it will work if they try it, this time?
The same formula they have tried and failed going back to Donte Stalworth.

I don't think they need another veteran WR, a veteran WR won't be available if they are really really good, and that is what they need is a really really good Wr, but, if they go with bond o to hold the bumper in place, they will get forseeable bad results.
With a little bit of Just enough to not realize it mixed in.

All Pro
All Pro
1. A new GM
2. A new HC
3. 1 WR. 2 DT. 2 LB. 1 FS.

Special request. A new owner and asap get rid of DePodesta.

This organization will never be successful enough to compete with the very best like KCC and the Niners with this leadership. As always our best season is off season when nobody play games.

I was listening to Jason and Travis Kelce on New Heights when Gronk visit them and their silence when talking about the Cleveland Browns said it all. Three elite player with What we see as what we get. multiple SB wins between them and they all just shake their heads and laughed when talking about being drafted by their childhood team. Travis expression said it all.

It’s all there to see right in front of us.

Bad decision making.
Lack of leaders with a winning mentality.
Lack of accountability.
Lack of a player friendly culture.

Results don’t lie. What we see is what we get.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
One could say WR but being blue in the face with 20 years + with the screen name, nobody listens anyway, I mean,
only after they address defense twice, then their tertiary wants at defense then a lineman or kicker,
they'll get around to Wr. Again,
no,
not here, this @uestion is number one need. so, apart from repenting, getting Jesus, stopping serving false gods', only football related,
there has to be a change of thought. so, hate to say it, I think the number one need,
the number one need, is getting rid of Berry and Depo.
and if it had to be only one of those, Berry, ouch. How could I not pick Depo,? Who is doing more harm to the Browns winning? Berry or Depo? Can they simply let Berry have another draft? I hope not.
What will it look like after they do more of what they have done for the last 3 to 4 years.

OK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, ... Berry and Depo are the bee's freaking knees, pffff, and uhh, the number one need is wide receiver. SPIT that hurt to say... frown double frown.

The rant about the front office aside, I still think it is DT.

The reason I say that is when you look at the two groups, the wide receiver room at least offers a glimmer of hope that one of the young guys can turn in to something close to decent. I think a guy like Woods offers some hope of being a fairly decent player. I don't see that with Tommy Togiai.

One also has to consider the starters in those groups. The starters at receiver are much better than the starters at DT. As it stands today, the DT room is much weaker than the WR room. One could also consider the TE room as part of the receiving group.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is just a question.

If you believe the HC and GM can not succeed. You want to get rid of Depodesta.

You dislike the owner for the Watson trade and you hate Watson.

Why pay any attention to the Browns?

Haslam owns the team and I have not heard he has intentions to sell. Apparently Haslam believes in his front office.

Watson is under contract for five or more years.

If you dislike everything about the team and organization. Why bother following the team? You were not born into it. It's not like your parents were Browns fans and raised you into the Browns.

I read some people on this Board and they sound miserable. Like they really suffer watching the team. I don't get it.

My expectations for the team was to win ten games maybe more if DW was going to be suspended 6 games. When the suspension turned to eleven. Expectations went down. However, i still enjoy following the team. I find things that I like. I hate losing as much as anyone. I have been closely following the Browns since 1960. I was born on Lake Erie. My father was a fan. I have seen it all. 1964 I was in eleventh grade the last championship. I watched 1-31. It was real bad. But because of being so bad I saw that accumulation of draft assets might lead to talent.

One team goes home the winner. All the rest lose. I accept that. It is damn hard to win a Super Bowl. But if you enjoy football or any sport you know the journey rarely reaches the top. I love fly fishing. Most of the time it is fishing not catching. You know that. But enjoy what it takes and when it does happen. You enjoy it more because you know what it took.

If it is all gloom and doom. Find what gives you more enjoyment.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
Defensive Tackle is #1 priority.

A true free safety is #2 unless they move Martin Emerson there.

They do need another wide receiver to stretch the field. Offense needs to be more explosive than 2022.

Then a Defensive End to replace Clowney.

This right here.

DT - true FS - DE - Speedster WR - DT.

Every other need is depth. An upgrade at LB might be nice - but until when we've seen quality DT's in front of them and how Schwartz plays them, I think there is every chance the LBs we have on the team are good enough.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/22/23 09:19 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I get as frustrated as anyone but I still look forward to football season and am on this board every day to see what's going on. I still love my Browns and always hope things will get better. The day they win a Super Bowl will be one of the happiest days of my life!

2 members like this: jfanent, bonefish
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That is what being a fans is.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I get as frustrated as anyone but I still look forward to football season and am on this board every day to see what's going on. I still love my Browns and always hope things will get better. The day they win a Super Bowl will be one of the happiest days of my life!
the vast majority does as well. The small minority tend to be loudmouths wanting the words to be heard(read)

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The FO and HC deserved to be ranted about but that doesn't change the current situation.

In 2022, after the acquisition of Watson, the Browns had the following areas of need: worst DT's in the NFL, weak WR room, questionable LB's, no FS, weak at one corner, questions at center, and questionable LT play.

Enter 2023 off season after posting a worse record than the year before, what's the questions and needs this off season: worst DT's in the NFL, not weak but still questionable WR room, still questionable at LB, no FS, corner fixed - or is it with Ward's highly questionable play, still questions at center, still questionable play at LT, and now concern that our 230M QB play was less than expected in his 6-game return.

If the Browns are to contend, they must fix the problem areas, but the play of the players must get better too. I look at the 6-teams left (CIN, BUF, KCC, PHI, DAL and SFO) and wonder, how do the Browns compare?

Defensively (based only on performance), how many Cleveland Browns could even crack the starting lineups of the final 6 teams? Garrett at DE for sure but any other DL on the team - NOPE. How about LB - NOPE. Maybe one of our corners would start on one of the six - Ward would be a guess but not with his 2022 performance. Would any of our safeties even have a smell of starting - NOPE. Some might try to say JOK is our best LB and could, but I ask - is JOK better than Parsons, Milano, Gay Jr, Reddick, or Greenlaw? Maybe a start on CIN but I wouldn't hold my breath.

No, you don't need to have the best at each position, but you can't survive with 8-9 of your players on defense performing in the bottom half of the league.

Offensively, if you're truthful, you're disappointed in the progress of Watson over those 6-games. Will he get better? I'm confident in that - but will he be the same Watson as 2020 - I don't know. At WR, the Browns went out and got Cooper to be their #1. DPJ is a work in progress and has shown good improvement, but the question remains, how good is the Browns WR room? Is Cooper a #1 or #2 in Cincy? We already know he wasn't the #1 in Dallas. Would he be the #1 or #2 in PHI? For sure not the #1 in BUF but could he be a #2? Debo would certainly start before Cooper - maybe a chance in KC? Cooper might be the Browns #1 but clearly not the #1 on most of the remaining playoff teams, What about DPJ? Is he even a #3 on any of those teams? Maybe, but nothing for sure if you're truthful. WR must get better and the window is closing faster than most believe. The Browns guards and RT would start most likely on all of the above teams. Center is a question mark because no one knows if the Browns are going to resign Pocic or are they going to revert back to Harris who's definitely a question mark. Wills is a huge question at LT whether you want to admit it or not. Ranked 60th in 2022 PFF of all tackles is problem enough but being ranked 31st in PFF for LT's that started the minimum games this year is a huge problem going forward. LT is not a position where you can continue to play the wait and see game. TE has improved (only taken 6-years) but I'm not sure the production warrants being paid top five money. That boat has sailed but the Browns need more production out of Njoku, now.

Rank__Player and Annual Salary______Yds Receiving______TD's_____Games Played
1.___Travis Kelce (KC) [2nd 14.3M]_____1,338___________12_________17
2.___T.J. Hockenson (MIN)_____________ 914____________6_________17
3.___Mark Andrews (BAL) [4th 14M]_____ 847____________5_________15
4.___Evan Engram (JAC)_______________766____________4_________17
5.___George Kittle (SF) [1st 15M]_______ 765___________11_________15
6.___Pat Freiermuth (PIT)______________732____________2_________16
7.___Dallas Goedert (PHI) [3rd 14.25M]__ 702____________3_________12
8.___David Njoku (CLE) [5th 13.86M]____ 628____________4_________14

IMHO, the Browns have a lot of holes to be filled. Truthfully, the likely hood of all that happening this off season is just wishful thinking. Unlike the 2022 off season, my wish list would be for the Browns to at least fix two of the question marks where the team doesn't have to worry about them for the next 3-4 years. The one-year contract cut and paste method isn't working. Please FO, fix something long-term - anything!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
the vast majority does as well. The small minority tend to be loudmouths wanting the words to be heard(read)

Exactly. If you look at the gameday threads there are a very few posters that are constantly whining like junior high girls the entire game, ......"so and so sucks" , "he's worthless", "that's game!" (after a negative play in the first quarter). They spend the entire game pizzing and moaning. I'm sure they come here because nobody can stand watching a game with them in person. A lot of good people won't even post in the gameday thread because of them. One in particular hates everything Cleveland and posts non stop throughout the games. During the Cavs championship season, he predicted a loss in every playoff game and series, and kept up with the whiny negativity all the way to the trophy hoist. These people seem to get bummed when we have a good play or actually win a game. Seriously, why watch?

I get that some people are just miserable all of the time, and they have some internal need met by trying to bring others down with them. Sadly, a place like this is the safest venue for them to act out, with the mildest of repercussions. You absolutely couldn't get away with that crap in public.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: bonefish, Versatile Dog
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
For myself I would never watch a game with people that fit your description.

They would rather spew negativity and be glad when they are correct; than win and be wrong.

When Cody Kessler was named the starting quarterback. I knew we would be lucky to win a game. I still watched. Looking for guys that I thought might turn out to be good players and a part of a possible future.

It is not being blinding positive. It 1986 and 1987 I knew we were one of the best teams in the NFL. Those two loses to end our season were brutal. They hurt bad. Then we lost the team. I quit watching football altogether until the return.

I follow one team. I don't care much at all for what happens once our season ends. If the playoffs produce a good game I will watch it. Once it becomes lopsided I stop. I would rather start looking at free agency and the draft.

I hope I live long enough for the Browns to win the championship. But if they don't. It does no matter all that much. They were still my team.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
We need DL help in the worst way. Both DT and DE. We are really soft up front

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed Bone. The Browns are like someone you're in love with that treats you lousy but you just can't let go. I've put up with it for 55 years. I don't think I could ever let go LOL!

P
Legend
Legend
P
You dislike the owner for the Watson trade

Why would you say that? I mean it's a simpleton answer to a much deeper issue. Just look at the record of HC hires since Halsm has owned this team. Look at the list of QB's this team has had since Haslam has owned this team. I could go on and on. Yet you wish to dismiss the entire body of evidence of Haslam's time her as the owner to blaming people not liking him to a single event? To say that is shortsighted would be an understatement. Many people didn't like Haslam well before watson even came into the picture.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

Oh the irony. All about the personalities with no substance. It sounds like you're wanting to be heard.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If you have read Floquino and his history to the Browns. Then you would know his path to following the team is short.

He has made it clear. His dislike for Haslam does not go back far because he has become a fan of the team in recent years. If I remember correctly what he posted when he first starting on the Board in 2020.

If fact that is not even the point really. He seems to dislike just about everything related to the Browns.

My question was directed to Floquino.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Flo is a nice guy, but he's a Baker fan. Nothing wrong w/that in and of itself. However, I remember him when he first started posting on here a lot a few years ago. Everytime negative comments were made about Baker, he would come on here and tell us to get behind the team. To cheer them on. To be supportive. Everything was bright and rosy. Fast forward and now we get posts where we are so inept and he even called us the "Clowns."

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I asked Flo a question.

Not even remotely an attack. A simple question. I am not passing any kind of judgement. He is more than welcome to criticize Haslam, DW, KS, AB.

I just wanted to know that if it is painful following the team why do it?

There is plenty of things to pursue in life that are enjoyable. In fact that goes for anyone who is a constant state of misery following the Browns.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not think you were attacking Flo.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think there are very few if any people in "a constant state of misery following the Browns."

I believe that is an imaginary scenario created in the minds of those that think anyone questioning a team whose record has went from a playoff team to 8-9 then 7-10 feels that way. It doesn't.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I didn't mean to imply that.

It was all just a question

Legend
Legend

Agree... when I was younger I'd like the outcome of the Browns or Buckeyes affect me... I'd be pissed for a week when we lost... now, while I'm still a fan, I realize that whatever the Browns do has zero affect on my life... I can't control what they do... so I just cheer and pray for the best...

With that said... I'd like for us to improve our DBs and DL... especially with Clowny gone, we need another rusher

<><

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Receiving core has issues. Perhaps not major issues but still. DL has issues. Those issues are bigger. LB core has issues along the lines of the DL. Secondary has issues. And so on.

The bigger question re: on field is Watson. Imo, which really doesn’t mean anything, Watson will not play out his contract here. I would be unsurprised if the Browns deal him after 3 years. One small thing that underscores a problem is one of the OL, I think Bitonio, said they were going to have to change their blocking because Watson holds the ball. Add that to a receiving core needing help and we are starting a bit behind the 8 ball.

So, I hope that the Browns can improve. At the same time I would be unsurprised if they miss the playoffs next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you have watched the games this weekend, the DL difference is pretty apparent. Especially with the NFC teams.

Getting pressure with 4 makes a big difference.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think DT and backer are the top.

We have no DT's and taki might be the only backer, and he isn't that good. JOK isn't a backer.
I look at the Titans before and after and then the Eagles before and after a big time Wr like A.J. Brown? is that his name? went from one to the other and I think,
how many years does it have to be obvious. Big time WR's score so many points and in the NFL it is such an exclusive level of play and level of needing to score a lot of points against the best defenses in the world,
that WR has to almost always be the number one need. In spite of the glaring hole at Middle Defensive line.
Every year we see it I think. A great WR can do so much for the whole team, offense defense, both.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Number One Need

Link Copied to Clipboard