Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
I lot of our perspective is based on our age. The first game I went to was in 1964. The last year the Browns won an NFL Championship. Our time on this earth keeps getting shorter and shorter. We're never sure just how many years we have left to see the Browns win a SB. As the window to our life gets shorter, the more urgent it becomes the Browns win a SB. It changes the way we look at things. At least I think it does.

Throughout the decades I wanted to see the Browns build a dynasty. Like the Patriots did. Like the Steelers of the 1970's. Like the Chiefs are becoming now. In a manner that would insure long term success and not a one shot wonder. But then I've been on these boards for decades now. I've watched guys like eotab, Peen and many others such as myself have time catch up to them. The less time you have left the more urgent a situation becomes. Some even to the point that no cost or cringe worthy circumstances stop that desire.

That's why I understand both sides of the coin and I don't see either side being right or wrong here. Us older guys have paid our dues for decades now and feel we deserve to see the Browns win a SB before it's too late for us. The younger guys are just like I was years ago. I wanted to see a team built the right way with long term success in mind. No temporary window would have sufficed for me then.

I think if we could all understand this it would cause a lot less strife among the two factions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
I don't think the NFL is structured for dynasties. In 1993 free agency changed things.

What the 1970's Steelers teams did will not happen again. The Patriots all I can do applaud. Great coaching and a GOAT.

You make get a window of a few years when you get a chance at a Super Bowl if everything falls your way.

But I doubt a dynasty will happen.

The AFC has the quarterbacks. But every team that has them face the same problems the Browns have. That is because of the pay structure on quarterbacks.

Lamar wants 5 years $250 guaranteed. Why not? The others will want close to the same.

I am not going pretend to question Andrew Berry in regards to cap management. He has way more information available to him and education in precisely what cap management entails.

I will question evaluation of talent. Like last year when I thought he grossly overestimated the capability of the DT position.

I may question his drafting. But when it comes to the cap. No.

I am hoping in free agency, the draft, or possible trades that Berry can assemble a roster to win the Super Bowl. The time to strike is now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems the Chiefs are well on their way now. The Patriots won 6 SB's from 2002-2019. All well after 1993. I was simply trying to show that the timetable of a persons life may strongly impact their perspective between "win now at any cost" verses "build a team for the long haul".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Like you, I'm old guy, want Browns in SB- who cares what we want- salary cap- I think we've hossed some folks with DW deal, how'd you like to pay what KC QB will ask for....WOW!!! Our GM will get money right, hope he hits more draft picks.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
The Chiefs won a Super Bowl. The sentence ends there. Well on your way means nothing.

Like I said I applaud the what the the Pats did. They stand alone. Nobody else has done it.

They had great coaching and the GOAT. Until another team does that. They stand alone.

Sure I am old. I want to win once. If we won it once. I would want to win again.

But I don't think dynasty.

I really do not see any alternatives. The Browns IMO have done the right thing. They took a calculated risk. You agree with them or not.

I am glad that IMO we have a decent shot with DW. It may blow up. But I think they made the right choice no matter what happens.

hitt #2005864 03/03/23 03:39 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
KC doesn't have to worry about it. They made the smart move. Mahomes signed the longest contract I've ever heard of and his contract doesn't end until 2032.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean two SB's. With Mahomes so far. Super Bowl LIV and Super Bowl LVII. And his contract doesn't end until 2032. Let's please not dance around the fact that they have found a long term opportunity for great success. And the proof is there. Dynasty is an odd word for sure. But setting your team up financially to compete for the long haul is much more quantifiable.

I noticed earlier you made reference to the NFL being business. I agree and point that out a lot when people seem to lean too heavily on the fan side of things without looking at the business side of things. Which brings me to this. Any and every business investments success or failure is solely dependent in return on investment. If the return on investment isn't realized from the watson deal, it failed. Maybe I'm just a bit unfamiliar with the concept that no matter what happens something was still a good choice.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
KC doesn't have to worry about it. They made the smart move. Mahomes signed the longest contract I've ever heard of and his contract doesn't end until 2032.

Exactly, and it's structured where starting in 2025 they can get out of the contract without any cap penalty. That's 7 consecutive years they can move on from Mahomes if deemed necessary. IMHO, the only way Jackson gets a 100% guaranteed contract is if it's a 2-3 year deal only. With his injury history, giving him a 5-year or more deal is insane. I also expect the same situation with Burrows and Herbert. If they start talking insane guarantees like Jackson, I fully expect the Bengals and Chargers to both exercise the 5th year options on those guys in May keeping them under contract the next 2 years.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Further, as it relates to some of the players' overall contract in that $65M number, I believe you even gain cap space in 2024 by cutting some. Teller ($9M) comes to mind as does Chubb ($12M), which people have assumed are prospects to be discussed next year as cuts and it has nothing to do with prorated bonus structures reeking havoc.

I'm just not at the sky is falling stage when there are SO MANY variables and don't think it's a reasonable position (yet).

Jake Burns posed an interesting question on today's podcast episode. He asked, how many Browns players currently on offense can you be certain will be on the roster in 2025? He said Watson and Njoku. This led to him discussing the rationale of pushing the chips in in 2023 and 2024 to go for the Super Bowl.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...e-episode-5/id1434698084?i=1000602588180

Legend
Legend
The Browns made the move that IMO had to made.

There is no guarantee that the move will result in a championship. It gives them a shot that they would not have had.

It may work out. It might not there are a lot of factors at play. It was still the right choice IMO.

Maybe we get close and don't win it all. There a a bunch of really good teams with the same goal.

I don't see him completely bombing. It could happen and if it did then it was a big mistake.

Legend
Legend
The entire circumstances of Mahomes in KC is completely different than DW coming to Cleveland.

Again he was drafted 10th overall in 2017. His contract extension was in 2020 when he was a known entity.

When you see what you got in Mahomes sure you look to sign him to the type of contract he got.

DW came to Cleveland under completely different circumstances.

I do not think they are comparable.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We'll have to agree to disagree. A QB is a QB, where you fall in that pecking order is the only difference. Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL and he was only given Fully Guaranteed Money: $63,081,905. That's a far cry from 230M guaranteed given Watson. Now we neither have any idea how this will work out for the Browns but what we do know is they are committed to 230M without question. Rodgers only received Fully Guaranteed Money: $101,415,000. Prescott received Fully Guaranteed Money: $95,000,000. The type of commitment to Watson is off the charts and though he may give the Browns a better chance to win, at what cost to the team as a whole will it eventually affect? Is Watson twice as good as the above listed players that he can demand more than double the guarantee?

I realize you and others want to ignore my concern and that's ok with me. However, I see bad things on the horizon and if the Browns don't win it all in 2023, their odds will start diminishing from that point forward because of their huge cap commitments and eventual inability to do anything with Watson's cost. As far as Berry goes, he's in his first GM job and I find it highly unlikely that he is smarter than the other 31 GM's who have taken a different approach to managing their teams. After 3 years with 2 of those having losing records, I don't believe Berry has earned the right to be classified as doing a good job. I hope he turns it around this year because IMHO, the clock is ticking and anything less than a deep playoff run will be deemed a failure.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what Berry has up his sleeve to improve this team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Once your rookie deal is over everything is the same for all NFL players in terms of signing contracts. The only difference is KC got Mahomes on a rookie deal when he was drafted. Once that contract was over, they had to pay him just like everyone else has to pay a QB.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Deshaun Watson reportedly OK with contract restructure
Browns QB willing to help the team achieve some salary cap relief, according to cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot.

By Thomas Moore@Tom_RedRight88 Mar 5, 2023, 1:04pm EST 0 Comments / 0 New

Cleveland Browns general manager Andrew Berry spoke with an air of confidence last week when asked about the team’s salary cap situation.

The Browns are currently a bit more than $13.4 million over the salary, but Berry addressed the situation at the NFL Scouting Combine by pointing out that the league’s rules are “flexible” and there are several ways that teams can create cap space, including releasing players, swinging a trade or restructuring a deal with a current player on the roster.

‘The rules are flexible’ to help Browns to create salary cap space, GM says
Berry already announced plans to release safety John Johnson III to save $9.75 million and there are a handful of players who could be in line for the restructured contract discussion, with quarterback Deshaun Watson being at the top of the list.

Watson is currently toting a cap charge of $54.9 million for the upcoming season, but if Berry wants to talk about changing that, Watson is on board, according to cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot.

There is no word on which direction the Browns and Watson will go on a restructured deal because, as Berry pointed out, there are a few available options. The club can convert part of Watson’s base salary into a signing bonus, add voidable years to the contract, or give Watson an extension.

No matter what they ultimately do, it should be noted that Watson is going to receive every penny of the $230 million guaranteed contract, so there is really no risk in him working with the Browns to help provide some flexibility to add players to the roster.

One other area that is worth watching is the timing of Watson’s restructuring. With the Baltimore Ravens and quarterback Lamar Jackson currently in a contract stalemate, the Ravens have until Tuesday to decide if they want to place the franchise tag on Jackson. If the Ravens do that, they would be choosing between the exclusive franchise tag of around $45 million, or the non-exclusive tag at a cost of around $32.4 million.

The exclusive tag price is calculated by averaging the top five salaries at a given position, so if the Browns hold off until after Tuesday then Watson’s current salary will help drive up the price the Ravens would have to pay Jackson.

Restructures
Watson +$35.936m (post Lamar tag, costs Ravens more)
Garrett +$12.936m
Teller +$9.136m
Bitonio +$7.868m

Cap Space $53,475,488

June 2nd
JJ3 +$9.75m

Browns don’t need permission to restructure!https://t.co/mDrfBcHuik

— Jack Duffin (@JackDuffin) February 28, 2023

While Watson’s contract puts him at the top of the restructuring list, Berry could also approach a few other high-priced players in the weeks to come, including defensive end Myles Garrett, cornerback Denzel Ward, running back Nick Chubb, and guards Joel Bitonio and Wyatt Teller.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...-reportedly-ok-with-contract-restructure

P
Legend
Legend
P
I remember playing kick the can when I was a child. Why wouldn't watson be okay with it? He's gong to get the 230 million either way.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

One other area that is worth watching is the timing of Watson’s restructuring. With the Baltimore Ravens and quarterback Lamar Jackson currently in a contract stalemate, the Ravens have until Tuesday to decide if they want to place the franchise tag on Jackson. If the Ravens do that, they would be choosing between the exclusive franchise tag of around $45 million, or the non-exclusive tag at a cost of around $32.4 million.

The exclusive tag price is calculated by averaging the top five salaries at a given position, so if the Browns hold off until after Tuesday then Watson’s current salary will help drive up the price the Ravens would have to pay Jackson.

The above statement is false:
It's widely expected that Lamar will be offered the Exclusive Franchise Tag, currently estimated to account for $45.2M in 2023. This number comes with a few conditions. 1) Since the actual official exclusive tenders won't lock until April, the Ravens will be able to account for the non-exclusive price ($32.4M) until that happens. 2) Many of the top QB cap hits are going to be restructured (or released) in the coming weeks, largely changing the end result for this exclusive price point. It's perfectly plausible that Lamar's exclusive tag price is only slightly larger than the non-exclusive figure when it's all said and done.

Restructures
Watson +$35.936m (post Lamar tag, costs Ravens more) (see above)
Garrett +$12.936m
Teller +$9.136m
Bitonio +$7.868m

Cap Space $53,475,488

June 2nd
JJ3 +$9.75m

Browns don’t need permission to restructure!https://t.co/mDrfBcHuik

— Jack Duffin (@JackDuffin) February 28, 2023

While Watson’s contract puts him at the top of the restructuring list, Berry could also approach a few other high-priced players in the weeks to come, including defensive end Myles Garrett, cornerback Denzel Ward, running back Nick Chubb, and guards Joel Bitonio and Wyatt Teller.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/...-reportedly-ok-with-contract-restructure

What the above doesn't tell you is all those restructured contracts will put the Browns more than 30M over the projected cap for 2024 before anything is done with any trades, FA's or draft picks in 2023. Not a single player added to the 2023 current contracted roster and over 30M over the projected cap for 2024. Nice work for the future!

Last edited by steve0255; 03/05/23 08:52 PM.

Legend
Legend
You keep harping on this.

What is the solution?

We have DW.

So the answer is the business practice of the NFL is to do what the Browns are doing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
"So the answer is the business practice of the NFL is to do what the Browns are doing."

Except that the Browns are doing it at such an extreme pace that if they falter in 2023, they are setting themselves up for failure. In three short years, the Browns have gone from having the most available cap to a point where on March 1, 2023, before any moves are made, the Browns have made the most players of any team in the NFL with 10M plus contracts and they are getting ready to add to that number, the 3rd most prorated bonus money structured into their cap and they're getting ready to add to that number, and a team over 11M over the cap even after already spending over 22M in carryover cap from 2022. All of this while sporting 2 consecutive losing seasons with each being worse than the previous one.

The first thing the Browns need to do is to build a team that can win, that has not been the case for the last 2 seasons. Only after they have the nucleolus of a winning team should they be concerned about a Super Bowl. 33 straight seasons the Steelers have finished with a better record than the Browns. The Browns have never won the AFC North. Mortgaging the future does not build a consistent winner.

So, of course I'm going to keep harping on this. I'm not against spending money - I'm against spending dumb money. Berry and the Browns are spending dumb money and to make matters worse, prorating most of that dumb money. A perfect example of this is Njoku who is scheduled to be an 18.393M cap hit in 2024. If they decided to cut him, it will cost the Browns 13.279M. Just an FYI, Kelce's cap hit for the Chiefs in 2024 is $15,551,944 or 2.841M less than Njoku and Njoku isn't or never will be as good as Kelce. Example 2, if Ward has another horrible year like he had in 2022, it will cost the Browns 27.774M to cut him. Berry is creating contracts that give him zero options of moving on if deemed necessary. Just look at what he's has to absorb because of the last 2 years - Hooper costing the Browns about 11M over 2 seasons (7.5M in 2023), Johnson is going to cost the Browns 3.75M this season and 8.85M next season, and Clowney is going to cost the Browns 4.8M this season and none of these 3 guys will take a snap in 2023 in a Browns uniform but cost is 16.05M for them and there's actually more!

Yep, I'm going to keep on harping on this - my opinion on a forum full of individual opinions.

Legend
Legend
The first thing the Browns need to do is to build a team that can win, that has not been the case for the last 2 seasons. Only after they have the nucleolus of a winning team should they be concerned about a Super Bowl. 33 straight seasons the Steelers have finished with a better record than the Browns. The Browns have never won the AFC North."

What does the past have to do with now?

Like I said there is a cost to have DW. The last two seasons we did not have a viable quarterback. How did having cap space help that?

Everything you post always comes with a negative slant. It is like you begin research to prove all that is wrong. You bring up nothing but what stands out as negative never anything that has been right.

We got Deshaun Watson. Let's start there. We have pro bowl players.

Forget it. I am not going to go back and forth.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's because you only read and comprehend the parts that will fit your agenda. I consistently say the Browns have the best guards in football. I consistently say the Browns have the best DE and RB in football outside that Chubb's contract may be prohibitive. I'm on record as saying Pocic was a steal, and they should resign him. I really like Conklin but his extension was a little too costly but sometimes you have to pay but his injury history of late scares me. The only o-line person I have an issue with is Wills and rightfully so based on his play the first 3-years. You would be hard pressed to find anything negative that I have posted about Emerson and Newsome. In fact, the Browns would be better off IMHO keeping these 2 guys and parting with Ward, but his contract and prorated bonus structure prevents that from ever happening now. I mean truthfully, do you honestly believe Ward came anywhere close to putting the type of product on the field in 2022 for the $23,041,000 the Browns actually paid him? Is that acceptable?

As far as Watson goes, my complaint is not with the contract money he signed for - that's a part of the business. My issue is and remains that he's a scum bag and a poor representative as the face of the franchise. That aside, I have a problem with paying him 46M in 2022 for the product he put on the field the 6 games he played and really tired of the excuses. He made 46 freaking million for that 6-game display that only had 1 half of football that could even close to being considered elite. I think guaranteeing all 230M was a mistake and a desperation move by the Browns. Desperation moves usually backfire. I disagree with continuing to push his cap cost into the future when he's done nothing for the Browns as of yet that can validate that doing that is a smart move. His cap cost with another restructure is going to be north of 65M starting in 2024 and nearly 20M than any other teams QB cap cost starting in 2024 - that's a problem Berry has created.

I'm extremely negative about the consistent problem on the D-line and that's all Stefanski and Berry. For 3 seasons it's been a weak spot and as of today, still remains a weak spot. WR has been a problem since 2020 and is still not fixed. Cooper and DPJ had decent years this year but let me ask you - do you think any team in the NFL has to adjust their defense for the Browns WR's? Is there any receiver on the Browns in any of the last 3 years, WR or TE, that teams would fear of taking over a game? Answer: Resounding Nope! That in itself should tell you the quality of our WR & TE group and I lay that squarely in Berry and Stefanski's lap.

Legend
Legend
I do not have an agenda.

DW and off field have nothing to do with this. How you want to characterize him if up to you.

What he was paid last season should be on no concern to you. Your agenda is coming thru loud and clear.

Desperation? Again agenda.

And do what resign BM? Get in line for quarterbacks others walk away from.

Getting DW was a calculated risk. Based upon many factors. It is your problem if you can not understand them.

You are extremely negative period.

Forget the six games. Again if you can not see reasons then I can't explain them.

Did the Browns not have Odell? Did they not trade for Cooper who was the fourth pick in the draft?
How many receivers in the NFL scare teams and always require double teams?

You have been negative on KS since your first post. Cherry picking stats. Part of the reason DW came to Cleveland was KS. If you think KS incompetent. All I will say is I disagree and so do the people in charge of the Browns. Berry has made some mistakes. I have pointed them out.

You somehow think you know more about being a GM than Berry. Know more about the cap as well. You do not.

Keep posting your agenda.

I will watch them play and enjoy the games with the hopes they go far.

2 members like this: Hammer, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
There is certainly the "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" ring to some people's posts. I mean maybe people don't see that as having an agenda but it's surprising how some people can't see their own agenda, intended or not, but consistently point the finger in the other direction.

Steve has been more negative than most about some things but has also made positive posts. The fact people either can't see it or refuse to admit it speaks volumes. Consider this for just a moment. You tell people they have a right to their opinions on one hand, then criticize their opinions on the other hand.

I would like to know what Cooper's draft position has to do with anything?

This is a team that went 7-10 last season and you act as though there aren't legitimate reasons to criticize them. That's just nonsense.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I mean maybe people don't see that as having an agenda but it's surprising how some people can't see their own agenda, intended or not, but consistently point the finger in the other direction.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Learn to use your words. My belief is in the evidence not the imaginary.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"This is a team that went 7-10 last season and you act as though there aren't legitimate reasons to criticize them. That's just nonsense."

BS I have criticized them.

Cooper? Read what he asked. Cooper is considered a number one receiver. His draft spot verifies that. However, that is not the point. Read his question about receivers.

"You tell people they have a right to their opinions on one hand, then criticize their opinions on the other hand."
And you would argue with stump. No matter what anyone says about anything.

"There is certainly the "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" ring to some people's posts." Don't sugar coat it. If I am some people say it.

I have been critical where I see reasons. On the other hand I don't go looking for every possible way I can find to say that KS, AB, and the Browns suck.
You can characterise that anyway you wish.

I said I disagree about his opinion on KS.

You know what? Steve can write for himself. I don't think he requires you to speak for him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Posting on any matter is not a "requirement" but it is allowed per the rules. Sorry that bothers you. I too have been supportive of Stefanski, but this coming season will tell the tale. And don't try to sum up what you said about "I said I disagree about his opinion on KS". You went on a tirade about agenda, negativity and so on. None of that has anything to do with Stefanski. And as much as I hate to break it to you, where a player is drafted still has nothing to do with their NFL performance. But yes, Cooper is still among what the NFL rates as a #1 WR. Not in the top 20, but still.

I certainly hope this FO and coaching staff thinks the way Steve does. If not there are many things that won't get fixed. As we can see Haslam is becoming a sports mogul. He has investments in the NFL, professional soccer and now the NBA. He expects things to be fixed and maximum return on his investments. 7-10 isn't that and there is a lot more to fix than the Sunny In Philadelphia crowd would like to address. You can't fix what you refuse to see.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Tirade? I don't think so.

steve and kick the can has been in damn near every thread no matter the title.

I pointed it out.

Everybody is aware of the cap. We understand.

Cuts to vets for cap reasons is part of the NFL. Business as usual; happens all the time. Why would any player not want his contract guaranteed? Because when the guaranteed money is gone their contract means little. They get cut for cap reasons. When you pay for a top rated quarterback everybody knows how their salary has an impact.

We are not in free agency yet. The draft is late April. The final roster is far away.

Yet the last two seasons is every thread. If you and steve can not see the reasons. No sense in spelling them out.

Everyone knows the importance of this season. Not the last two years or the history as far back you wish to go.

I have stated in numerous ways that this year AB is going to have a huge task with money available and draft capital. It is no mystery.

Haslam and the FO rolled the dice on DW. IMO there were few options and none that gave them more of a chance to win now.

steve wants to moan about "the six games." All a part of kick, the can, we suck. Again coming from the negative 6 games versus his career numbers before.

If steve wants to post that fine. I will respond.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns have more cap dollars to spend in 2023 than any other team in the NFL yet the Browns are still currently $12,897,864 over the cap with the adjusted figure. To make any moves they have to do restructures just to fill out the roster. No worries, they will just kick that can down the road again! 31M more than the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs already and still not enough to compete with them without more restructures. Hey, the Browns don't have any cap issues though - RIGHT!

A
Legend
Legend
A
I liken the salary cap to the federal debt cap. Just change numbers. Then raise the limit. Play games with it. It will burn teams in the future, just as it will burn this country - sooner rather than later. With a team, it's "Oh well". With a country, it's deadly alarming.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
BTW, the rumored cut of Clark frees up 21M and gives the Chiefs over 18M for free agency and the draft. Hard decision on Clark (age 30) but no future costs involved from his release and was scheduled to be a FA next year anyway.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
BTW, the rumored cut of Clark frees up 21M and gives the Chiefs over 18M for free agency and the draft. Hard decision on Clark (age 30) but no future costs involved from his release and was scheduled to be a FA next year anyway.

Must have had cap issues

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I guess you can look at it that way or you could see that the movement of a single player has freed up the cap space they need in 2023 with zero dead cap dollars involved.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's a $7.6M dead cap hit in 2023 from what I see.

But that's besides the point.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Speaking of the Chiefs.

Chiefs not expected to place second franchise tag on OT Orlando Brow

Published: Mar 06, 2023 at 02:38 PM
Kevin Patra

Offensive tackle Orlando Brown will have a shot to hit free agency.

The Kansas City Chiefs won't use the franchise tag on Brown, NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport, Mike Garafolo and Tom Pelissero reported on Monday, per sources informed of the situation.

K.C. still has until next week to work out a potential long-term deal with the left tackle or he will be free to negotiate and sign with a new club when free agency begins on March 15.

Last offseason, Kansas City used the franchise tag on Brown after the sides couldn't come to a long-term agreement before the deadline. Using a second franchise tender on the left tackle would have cost the Chiefs $19.92 million in 2023. Given their current salary cap restraints, it was a figure that was too high to swallow.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-not-expected-to-place-second-franchise-tag-on-ot-orlando-brown

V
Legend
Legend
V
The Cleveland Browns adjusted cap number is the highest in the NFL for 2023

Jacob Roach
March 6, 2023 8:48 pm ET

The NFL has released their adjusted cap numbers which are factored in using the cap number plus roster bonuses, incentives, and rollover to add or subtract to a team’s salary cap. With all of that factored in the Cleveland Browns are tops in the NFL with an adjusted cap of $251, 771, 834 for the 2023 season.

The Browns will still be over the cap right now but there are plenty of ways to create cap space and when you add the reported post-June 1st cut of John Johnson the team will save nearly $10 million in space. The reports are also out that Deshaun Watson is open to restructuring his deal as well so the team will soon have plenty of cap space for free agency.

The NFL has finalized its year-end club adjustments, which factor in incentives, roster bonuses, carryover cap space, etc. That figure was then added to or subtracted from $224.8M to determine each team’s adjusted cap number for 2023.

A look at each team’s adjusted cap number: pic.twitter.com/sxbs04nXE6

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 6, 2023

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
I sure hope Berry has a plan to address that CAP issue. yikes...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Originally Posted by steve0255
The Browns have more cap dollars to spend in 2023 than any other team in the NFL yet the Browns are still currently $12,897,864 over the cap with the adjusted figure. To make any moves they have to do restructures just to fill out the roster. No worries, they will just kick that can down the road again! 31M more than the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs already and still not enough to compete with them without more restructures. Hey, the Browns don't have any cap issues though - RIGHT!
The Cleveland Browns adjusted cap number is the highest in the NFL for 2023

Jacob Roach
March 6, 2023 8:48 pm ET

The NFL has released their adjusted cap numbers which are factored in using the cap number plus roster bonuses, incentives, and rollover to add or subtract to a team’s salary cap. With all of that factored in the Cleveland Browns are tops in the NFL with an adjusted cap of $251, 771, 834 for the 2023 season.

The Browns will still be over the cap right now but there are plenty of ways to create cap space and when you add the reported post-June 1st cut of John Johnson the team will save nearly $10 million in space. The reports are also out that Deshaun Watson is open to restructuring his deal as well so the team will soon have plenty of cap space for free agency.

The NFL has finalized its year-end club adjustments, which factor in incentives, roster bonuses, carryover cap space, etc. That figure was then added to or subtracted from $224.8M to determine each team’s adjusted cap number for 2023.

A look at each team’s adjusted cap number: pic.twitter.com/sxbs04nXE6

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 6, 2023

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Going to be the highest spending team in the NFL - the seats will certainly be very hot this year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
By 2025 we will know if Berry is a genius and smarter than everyone else in the NFL with contract manipulation to beat the salary cap --- or if too many fans bought into the Kool-Aid that the cap can essentially be worked around as it is possible to manipulate your way out of trouble every year and never actually have to pay the piper.

Looking at the 2023 Cap number - which will no doubt be manipulated and re-worked - but looking at where the Browns sit today on Cap dollars, the notion many pushed that Watson's contract was a non-factor appears to be faulty.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Of course, Watson's contract is a factor and if they restructure him again this week, it will become an even bigger factor. A similar restructure to last year could have 1 of 2 effects. If the Browns restructure him over 4-years rather than the normal 5 then Watson's cap hit for 2023 will be 21.303M and 2024 going forward would be 66.223M each season. Or they could go the 5-year route creating a void year which would reduce his 2023 cap to 18.066M and the next 3-years at 63.986M with the void year of 2027 having a non-contract prorated bonus cap charge of 8.993M.

No matter which way they go, based on other known QB contract cap hits, the Browns are looking at Watson's 2024 cap hit as being 20M more than any other NFL QB.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Salary Cap

Link Copied to Clipboard