Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by eotab
Going in for some simple surgery tomorrow...Unfortunately my heart is so weak that we had to cancel the procedure to be done in an out patient environment. But due to heart they had to reschedule the procedure at a hospital. The big fear is that I might not wake up from the anesthesia the surgery itself is not a difficult procedure - mostly laser. My point is I come to this board for some pleasure in reading FOOTBALL primarily about my Browns. Only to read like 6 posts about My penis being bigger than yours. I'm tired of that - show some discipline and swallow the hatred you have for each other and post football. Outside all the immature bantering there actually is some good points that was discussed.

I miss football posts. Btw in the process I have done about our Watson trade being one of the worst for the franchise. Plenty of QBs available if our Mayfield busted out. but not discussed is that we had the best cap situations and spending ability TOP 5 - we could have made a shot at Ramsey for our Defense. So far that would be Jordan Davis and a talent like Ramsey for our Defense and a lot more after FA begins.
We will see if Watson becomes a leader who is relaxed into a system making reads Brisset was able to a great job in his reads - doesn't come close to the talent that Watson has. But I have yet seen the ability to execute our system - I know he has the TALENT but does he have that QB ability mentally. My big problems still remains with character. No remorse, no apology to the women who were VICTIMS. I don't have daughters but I have 2 Daughter in laws who hate my favorite team because of Watson. I saw a QB who would take off scrambling way too soon I do not know if that is rust or just the product we have at the helm. I want a QB who can move around in the pocket and on occasion put the ball down and take off. Not every play. Apologies for wandering off from the thread but it is centered on our Salary Cap as being a variable in the review of our trade. We went from big pockets to Cap Hell.

Take care if you do not hear from me later this week that means I didn't wake up. I'm not afraid but it seems all the doctors are. Insurance loves it cause I keep surviving now I might not and they will save $$$. Later guys and gals....love you and may God bless you all!

My love and prayers are with you.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Thank you to the board moderators for not having the testicular fortitude to remove someone who destroys countless threads day after day after day.

Well done.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Thank you to the board moderators for not having the testicular fortitude to remove someone who destroys countless threads day after day after day.

Well done.

This public service announcement was brought to you by Taco Bell.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c:

Well done.

This public service announcement was brought to you by Taco Bell.

Compliments of the little chihuahua that can't stop barking at the air and peeing on the carpet.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
4 members like this: archbolddawg, CapCity Dawg, Versatile Dog
FATE #2007510 03/14/23 12:28 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Stop talking about Vers that way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Absolutely everything Andrew Berry is doing in the FA market and the draft is hanging on DSW becoming an elite QB on par with Burrow and that KCC guy. If that’s not the case and our 230 million QB has another underwhelming season in front of him then it’s probably hasta la vista for Berry and Stefanski.

The stakes are high.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Absolutely everything Andrew Berry is doing in the FA market and the draft is hanging on DSW becoming an elite QB on par with Burrow and that KCC guy.

This could be said with ANY quarterback. You can sign all the guys in the world who are perceived to be good at their position, but if your QB isn't good, your team isn't going to be good.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Floquinho
Absolutely everything Andrew Berry is doing in the FA market and the draft is hanging on DSW becoming an elite QB on par with Burrow and that KCC guy. If that’s not the case and our 230 million QB has another underwhelming season in front of him then it’s probably hasta la vista for Berry and Stefanski.

The stakes are high.

As Memphis said - this is true of any team. You try to put the best team you can together. The moves so far this off season have been solid. How Watson performs is a different topic to me.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
"has another underwhelming season in front of him"

When was that?

Unless you are referring to the six games of last year. Although that is far from a season.

The last true season was pretty good.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
"has another underwhelming season in front of him"

Although that is far from a season.

It's an accrued season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes it was and it was counted as 20% of the time he has on his contract.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Absolutely everything Andrew Berry is doing in the FA market and the draft is hanging on DSW becoming an elite QB on par with Burrow and that KCC guy.

This could be said with ANY quarterback. You can sign all the guys in the world who are perceived to be good at their position, but if your QB isn't good, your team isn't going to be good.
I rather kept all these draft picks and 230m. Imagine what we could have done with so much wealth in the FA market and in the 2023 draft pick.

What was Watsons stats in 2022?
Top 20 QB? Worse?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I rather kept all these draft picks and 230m. Imagine what we could have done with so much wealth in the FA market and in the 2023 draft pick.

What was Watsons stats in 2022?
Top 20 QB? Worse?

Nutz!

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree FL Dawg. I'm going to put my 2 cents in. It's been one year since we traded for DW. Knowing what I know now if I had to make the trade all over again I would. DW gives us the best chance to compete and win in the AFC. A 100% healthy Baker is at least 2 steps below the best AFC QB's. Heck, he'd only be 3rd best in our division. As fans, the 230 million really shouldn't be an issue with us. That's the responsibility of Jimmy Haslam and our FO. They made that decision. The way I look at the 3 #1 picks is like this. The one we gave up in "22 was for DW. That's a push to me. The other 2 I look at it this way. They're a crap shoot for any team but even more so for us. Since we've come back in 1999 I can only think of 3-4 #1's that were any good for us JT, Myles and Alex Mack and that's about it. I don't know if DW will ever be as good as he was a couple years ago, although I'm betting he will, but I still think it was worth the gamble. We weren't going anywhere with what we had at QB and this team's window is the next couple of years. JMO

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 03/14/23 06:27 PM.
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I agree FL Dawg. I'm going to put my 2 cents in. It's been one year since we traded for DW. Knowing what I know now if I had to make the trade all over again I would. DW gives us the best chance to compete and win in the AFC. A 100% healthy Baker is at least 2 steps below the best AFC QB's. Heck, he'd only be 3rd best in our division. As fans, the 230 million really shouldn't be an issue with us. That's the responsibility of Jimmy Haslam and our FO. They made that decision. The way I look at the 3 #1 picks is like this. The one we gave up in "22 was for DW. That's a push to me. The other 2 I look at it this way. They're a crap shoot for any team but even more so for us. Since we've come back in 1999 I can only think of 3-4 #1's that were any good for us JT, Myles and Alex Mack and that's about it. I don't know if DW will ever be as good as he was a couple years ago, although I'm betting he will, but I still think it was worth the gamble. We weren't going anywhere with what we had at QB and this team's window is the next couple of years. JMO

Nobody argue that we should have kept Baker but Watson hasn’t so far shown that he’s the answer either.

Only a SB win can justify 230m guaranteed and judging from what we have seen so far from Berry/Stefanski/Watson this scenario seems highly unlikely. With 3 first round picks and 230m we could easily bought us one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Only a few QBs has the ability to win a SB with an average defense and only one elite WR/TE and Watson paired with Stefanski has neither the results or anything else to show that they belong in that category.

If I’m wrong prove to me with up to date stats or whatever that my assumptions is “nutz”. The money and the draft picks could have been used more wisely from my perspective.

Legend
Legend
I agree.

In fact, I don't think we should be looking at DW leaving in four years as well.

He will be 32. If he plays well and the Browns do well. Why would we not extend him?

I am not going to play crystal ball. Hell, I may not even be around then. But, I see no reason why he will not be the player he has been.

The six game snapshot is being viewed through distorted glasses. We won three of the games. One game was played under unusual conditions.

I think what needed to be seen was seen in flashes. Those trying portray those games as an indicator of his future play are reaching IMO.

I am not going to argue the point. It makes no difference now.

2023 is here. We will have a different team. We have made coaching changes. The offense will be different. DW will be the starter and will get the reps.

Obviously, he has to play at a high level. We will be good if he is good.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t think the final six games of a problematic 2022 season defines DW.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I don’t think the final six games of a problematic 2022 season defines
[quote=Homewood Dog]I agree FL Dawg. I'm going to put my 2 cents in. It's been one year since we traded for DW. Knowing what I know now if I had to make the trade all over again I would. DW gives us the best chance to compete and win in the AFC. A 100% healthy Baker is at least 2 steps below the best AFC QB's. Heck, he'd only be 3rd best in our division. As fans, the 230 million really shouldn't be an issue with us. That's the responsibility of Jimmy Haslam and our FO. They made that decision. The way I look at the 3 #1 picks is like this. The one we gave up in "22 was for DW. That's a push to me. The other 2 I look at it this way. They're a crap shoot for any team but even more so for us. Since we've come back in 1999 I can only think of 3-4 #1's that were any good for us JT, Myles and Alex Mack and that's about it. I don't know if DW will ever be as good as he was a couple years ago, although I'm betting he will, but I still think it was worth the gamble. We weren't going anywhere with what we had at QB and this team's window is the next couple of years. JMO

Nobody argue that we should have kept Baker but Watson hasn’t so far shown that he’s the answer either.

Only a SB win can justify 230m guaranteed and judging from what we have seen so far from Berry/Stefanski/Watson this scenario seems highly unlikely. With 3 first round picks and 230m we could easily bought us one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Only a few QBs has the ability to win a SB with an average defense and only one elite WR/TE and Watson paired with Stefanski has neither the results or anything else to show that they belong in that category.

If I’m wrong prove to me with up to date stats or whatever that my assumptions is “nutz”. The money and the draft picks could have been used more wisely from my perspective.

Nutz is thinking you can get anywhere without a franchise QB.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don’t think the final six games of a problematic 2022 season defines DW.

I agree that it doesn't define him but it brought about far more questions than it did answers.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Extending a players contract takes both parties to agree. Now that may work out to be the case. But it just as well may not be the case. If everything goes great here and watson gets what he wants, there should be no problem accomplishing that. However we all saw how that worked out in Houston. Even after he signed an extension he refused to honor his contract. Extending his contract certainly isn't a given and we have the perfect example of that to look at.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
I don’t think the final six games of a problematic 2022 season defines
[quote=Homewood Dog]I agree FL Dawg. I'm going to put my 2 cents in. It's been one year since we traded for DW. Knowing what I know now if I had to make the trade all over again I would. DW gives us the best chance to compete and win in the AFC. A 100% healthy Baker is at least 2 steps below the best AFC QB's. Heck, he'd only be 3rd best in our division. As fans, the 230 million really shouldn't be an issue with us. That's the responsibility of Jimmy Haslam and our FO. They made that decision. The way I look at the 3 #1 picks is like this. The one we gave up in "22 was for DW. That's a push to me. The other 2 I look at it this way. They're a crap shoot for any team but even more so for us. Since we've come back in 1999 I can only think of 3-4 #1's that were any good for us JT, Myles and Alex Mack and that's about it. I don't know if DW will ever be as good as he was a couple years ago, although I'm betting he will, but I still think it was worth the gamble. We weren't going anywhere with what we had at QB and this team's window is the next couple of years. JMO

Nutz is thinking you can get anywhere without a franchise QB.

230m guaranteed is Mahomes and Burrow level of salary. The absolute best of the best. You simply don’t gamble with so much money.

The other inexcusable decision was to give the largest contract in the history of the NFL to a player with so much negative baggage, not to mention all his controversies with his former employer. There’s no evidence whatsoever that Watson has what it takes to be a franchise QB, in fact the opposite. He has talent but so far he hasn’t accomplished anything to write home about. Mahomes has won two SB and Burrow has reached one SB final and one Conference final. Do you spot the difference?

This was a panic move from one of the worst owner in the NFL and a inexperienced GM who simply didn’t took his time to make a proper consequence analysis. You can quote me whenever you want but I think we don’t even reach a Conference final with this setup. The 230m and the three 1 round picks could have been used more wisely from my perspective.

With that said I wish Watson the absolute best as long as he’s part of the Browns organization.

Legend
Legend

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

...and none of it matters to the Browns in 2022 when the Browns finished 'last' the AFC North... poke

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2007760 03/15/23 03:30 PM
Legend
Legend
What were your expectations in 2022?

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's a shame the Browns were not able to sign any players this FA period because they are in cap hell. Would have been nice to upgrade the defense.

1 member likes this: Day of the Dawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Originally Posted by eotab
Going in for some simple surgery tomorrow...Unfortunately my heart is so weak that we had to cancel the procedure to be done in an out patient environment. But due to heart they had to reschedule the procedure at a hospital. The big fear is that I might not wake up from the anesthesia the surgery itself is not a difficult procedure - mostly laser. My point is I come to this board for some pleasure in reading FOOTBALL primarily about my Browns. Only to read like 6 posts about My penis being bigger than yours. I'm tired of that - show some discipline and swallow the hatred you have for each other and post football. Outside all the immature bantering there actually is some good points that was discussed.

I miss football posts. Btw in the process I have done about our Watson trade being one of the worst for the franchise. Plenty of QBs available if our Mayfield busted out. but not discussed is that we had the best cap situations and spending ability TOP 5 - we could have made a shot at Ramsey for our Defense. So far that would be Jordan Davis and a talent like Ramsey for our Defense and a lot more after FA begins.
We will see if Watson becomes a leader who is relaxed into a system making reads Brisset was able to a great job in his reads - doesn't come close to the talent that Watson has. But I have yet seen the ability to execute our system - I know he has the TALENT but does he have that QB ability mentally. My big problems still remains with character. No remorse, no apology to the women who were VICTIMS. I don't have daughters but I have 2 Daughter in laws who hate my favorite team because of Watson. I saw a QB who would take off scrambling way too soon I do not know if that is rust or just the product we have at the helm. I want a QB who can move around in the pocket and on occasion put the ball down and take off. Not every play. Apologies for wandering off from the thread but it is centered on our Salary Cap as being a variable in the review of our trade. We went from big pockets to Cap Hell.

Take care if you do not hear from me later this week that means I didn't wake up. I'm not afraid but it seems all the doctors are. Insurance loves it cause I keep surviving now I might not and they will save $$$. Later guys and gals....love you and may God bless you all!
May god extend a helping hand in your recovery and good luck in your
Recovery at that. You will make it!!!

Not allowed on computer...all went well, some difficulties but all is good see you next week. Berry is making the trade better with his transactions...he is a good GM

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
4 members like this: PitDAWG, jfanent, CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend
Good deal tabber.

Rest up and get ready. We are a better team. Things are looking up.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What were your expectations in 2022?

2022 Browns should have been able to make the playoffs as a wild card team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
tab - of all the good news we've had this week, this is the best by far. So good to see this post from you. Rest, and get your strength back. We'll be here.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
mac #2007887 03/16/23 08:25 AM
Legend
Legend
So knowing that Jacoby was going to play 11 games before the season and DW under suspension would return for the final six games; you thought we should make the playoffs?

Well I guess we were a disappointment.

Maybe this year we will do better.

All Pro
All Pro
DSW stats in his last two seasons in the NFL.

2020 - 4W and 12L (Houston)
2022 - 3W and 3L (Cleveland)

His latest 7W was against Washington, Baltimore, Houston, Detroit, New England and Jacksonville x2.

In 2020 and 2022 he had 40TD/12INT in 22 games. An average of 1.81 TD/game - 0,55 INT/game.

In 2022/23 the Browns scored 98 points in 6 games with DSW as an QB. An average of 16,33 points/game.
In 2022/23 (regular season) KCC scored 496 points in 17 games. And average of 29,17 points/game.

KCC in 2022/23 scores in average almost 13 points more/game than the Browns with DSW.

Ask yourself with all this in mind.
Is Kevin Stefanski a better HC and a play caller than Andy Reid?
Is DSW a better QB than PM?
Has the Browns any offensive player on the same level as Travis Kelce?
Is our D good enough to cover up for our O weaknesses?

Maybe we should lower our expectations and realize that Watson has a long long way to go before we’re anywhere near the better teams in the NFL.
When he and his offense starts to regularly produce 25+ points/game in average then we can start to dream about a SB.

My conclusion is that with a restricted salary cap it will be extremely difficult to catch up when we give our “franchise QB” such a gigantic contract. Deshaun Watson will give us hopes but the reality is that the price to trade him was probably to high. That mistake is on those in charge. Bad decision making is the mother of most failures.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Not allowed on computer...all went well, some difficulties but all is good see you next week. Berry is making the trade better with his transactions...he is a good GM

Not supposed to be on the puter, huh..? rolleyes

EO, you sure don't listen very well... confused!...... do ya..? :

You keep fighting, EO...and tell those Doctors we expect nothing less than their best.., because EO is the best damn DawgTalker to ever post on this message board and it's time for the Browns franchise to meet expectation..!!

Legend
Legend
I am sorry but you are pulling numbers that really are irrelevant.

They in no way represent the player.

In 2020 his last full season his PFF grade was 92.5.

Showing wins and loses with the Browns and Texans does not measure how effective the quarterback is.

It shows the records of the teams.

Then you measure DW with the Browns versus the Mahomes and Chiefs??

Really. He played six games after 11 were played in the season.

Mahomes was drafted by the Chiefs. He sat a year. He has been schooled in no other offense. He was developed by a HOF head coach. He played for a team that has won two Super Bowls. And you are comparing him to DW with the Browns??

My conclusion is write about DW after this season.

P
Legend
Legend
P
They're only relevant depending on who is playing the position.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
They are relevant when you measure their actual performance.

All Pro
All Pro
I am sorry but you are pulling numbers that really are irrelevant.

They in no way represent the player.

In 2020 his last full season his PFF grade was 92.5.

Showing wins and loses with the Browns and Texans does not measure how effective the quarterback is.

It shows the records of the teams.

Then you measure DW with the Browns versus the Mahomes and Chiefs??

Really. He played six games after 11 were played in the season.

Mahomes was drafted by the Chiefs. He sat a year. He has been schooled in no other offense. He was developed by a HOF head coach. He played for a team that has won two Super Bowls. And you are comparing him to DW with the Browns??

My conclusion is write about DW after this season.

Wait a second my friend.

If I’m not mistaken we paid Watson a signing bonus of nearly $50m in 2022. He played 6 games. His high salary was part of the reason that last season was a failure. We can’t just write off 20% of the financial investment and pretend this is good business .

DSW has 3+ seasons as a pro and he got paid as the best QB in the league, then the expectation is that we get results a par with what we pay. Anything less is a failure.

Last edited by Floquinho; 03/16/23 04:14 PM.
Legend
Legend
I politely disagree.

You can not evaluate properly without the surrounding context.

If you wish to view the financial aspect 2022 the money was moved.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

But really that is not the point at all.

The reason the Browns and the other teams were willing to make the trade was because of his perceived value which was based upon his performance.

If the Browns were wrong to take the chance so were the others who were willing to do so. Teams don't make those decisions in a vacuum.

They measure the player and his potential. Without DW this season's chances of winning would be slim.

If your expectations were lofty for last year. Then they probably should have been adjusted to actual circumstances. You can not view 2022 like it was business as usual because it was not. I should not need to explain why.

This year is a different story. Everyone is aware of what is at stake. And the heavy load is on DW.

1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
P
Legend
Legend
P
Pre season you would be 100% correct. Once Brissett was running a top 10 offense, not so much. You see, if you look at it from the perspective of "what you expected before the season" that's one thing. If you look at it from the perspective of what the Browns O was actually producing in 2022 that's totally different. It seems some people are trying to say that if the Browns went into the 2023 season with a top 10 offense that wouldn't have been good enough.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
[color:#FFCC33]I politely disagree.

You can not evaluate properly without the surrounding context.

If you wish to view the financial aspect 2022 the money was moved.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

But really that is not the point at all.

The reason the Browns and the other teams were willing to make the trade was because of his perceived value which was based upon his performance.

If the Browns were wrong to take the chance so were the others who were willing to do so. Teams don't make those decisions in a vacuum.

They measure the player and his potential. Without DW this season's chances of winning would be slim.

If your expectations were lofty for last year. Then they probably should have been adjusted to actual circumstances. You can not view 2022 like it was business as usual because it was not. I should not need to explain why.

This year is a different story. Everyone is aware of what is at stake. And the heavy load is on DW.

I totally agree! That was btw my initial argument when we started our dialogue

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Salary Cap

Link Copied to Clipboard