Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A guy I haven't seen mocked to us, but think could be a fit, is Gervon Dexter, DL, Florida. His numbers aren't spectacular, but he seems to collapse the pocket frequently. Needs to clean up his technique some and show a bit more consistency, but when it's clicking he can be a play wrecker. He's an early entrant (redshirt soph, I believe,) so he's not a finished product but I like his tools and motor/on field demeanor. Haven't dug in a ton yet, but what I've seen looks promising, and I thought I'd try to see what you all thought.

edit: Apparently, he has been mocked to us. (link) That draft looks pretty good to me right now.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/25/23 02:16 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
All additions are appreciated. I think it's fun learning about guys and trying to predict might work out. I don't worry about being right or wrong. It's just fun.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
More on Tyler Scott:

Cincinnati WR and Norton High School's Tyler Scott and openly advocates for Browns to draft him

Jacob Roach
February 25, 2023 2:03 pm ET

The University of Cincinnati’s Tyler Scott is one of the most appealing wide receiver prospects for the Cleveland Browns in this year’s draft. He has the speed and dynamic play-making ability the team sorely needs to take the next step in 2023. Scott has already been clocked at a 4.29 40-yard dash and with the combine coming up next week talked with the 33rd Team about the possibility of breaking the combine record.

Scott talked about his role models and modeling his game after Browns’ wide receiver Amari Cooper before mentioning he hopes to join him in Cleveland. Browns fans would love to have Scott in Cleveland and putting him in the slot next to Cooper would make a formative group.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
Tyler Scott was the first receiver that I watched film on. He was projected as a second rounder.

When you see him run two guys came to mind. Deon Sanders and Josh Gordon.

Stride is what sticks out. Effortless stride. Guys who run fast and make it look easy.

Scott eats up ground on coverage real fast. You see the db playing off man and zoom Scott is past the guy.

He is forecasted as a second rounder because he does not have refined techniques. Not his fault. He was used as a "go route" guy.

If he takes to coaching and learns the fine points of being a receiver. He will be a standout. Hard to say where he gets drafted. You get attention when you have his type of speed. If he has good workouts and interviews well. He will not get to #42.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Nice post.

Legend
Legend
Thx.

If the Browns go hard in free agency to address the DL then a receiver will come into play at #42.

Judging receivers is tricky. College players play in all forms of schemes. But it has to be kept in mind "who was throwing the ball?"

Good receivers can be buried because their numbers do not reflect weak quarterbacks. In addition route trees could have been very simple and one dimensional.

Speed is the first thing people look at when it comes to receiver. When in fact it does not automatically forecast success.

Amon-Ra St. Brown was a fourth rounder. Ran a 4.59. He has over 2k yards and 196 catches in his first two years.

Cooper Kupp is not real fast.

However, if you have speed and you also have all the other qualities that make a receiver. Well then you can be elite.

It is cool that he is a Ohio guy and a Browns fan. It would be amazing if we got him and he became a star.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, college offenses are--in general--way different from NFL offenses. It's hard to evaluate QBs, OTs, and many WRs. The one read and elementary route trees can be problem when it comes to evaluating those guys. Some guys jump off the screen like Jamar Chase, Jefferson, Olave, Wilson, etc. They are dynamic and ran routes in college. Others, are harder to judge, especially if they just primarily ran go routes in college.

I am not making any predictions on who will be good or not, but I enjoy this type of football talk over a lot of the crap that has made its way into the PFF. Thanks for the intelligent replies.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Tyler Scott I had a sideline view to watch him up close
Coaching against him was fun and a challenge.
He lined up at WR and RB in the Norton offense all over the field.
He simply ran past everyone once he got a crease or at
WR he beat any kind of coverage across from him
What I really admired about him is he stayed
At Norton after local powerhouses like Akron Hoban
And St Vincent St.Marys did their hardest to recruit
Him to their programs.

He could very easily be drafted by the Browns
And easily win that #3 WR spot on his worse day
If Berry passes him up Berry needs his head checked

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
but I enjoy this type of football talk over a lot of the crap that has made its way into the PFF. Thanks for the intelligent replies.

You just can't help yourself can you? Was what I quoted the kind of football talk you like? If you spent half as much time policing yourself as you do those you disagree with this place would be a lot better too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks for the information and keeping it to football talk.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They currently have 2 picks in the top I04 overall. Everything else is the later rounds.
They have pick number one hundred eleven, which is close but not in the top I04.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Tyler Scott was the first receiver that I watched film on. He was projected as a second rounder.

When you see him run two guys came to mind. Deon Sanders and Josh Gordon.

Stride is what sticks out. Effortless stride. Guys who run fast and make it look easy.

Scott eats up ground on coverage real fast. You see the db playing off man and zoom Scott is past the guy.

He is forecasted as a second rounder because he does not have refined techniques. Not his fault. He was used as a "go route" guy.

If he takes to coaching and learns the fine points of being a receiver. He will be a standout. Hard to say where he gets drafted. You get attention when you have his type of speed. If he has good workouts and interviews well. He will not get to #42.

Scott reminds me a lot of Schwartz, but with a lot more opportunities. That's not to say he'd be as unproductive here, but they seem stylistically similar.

I kind of think Josh Downs might bring a dimension to our passing game that we are more lacking. Being able to blow by people is nice, but it will be harder to do at the next level. Quickness, routerunning, and crazy change of direction give more ways to beat a DB. I think the scramble drill will be a bigger part of our offense with Watson going forward. The ability to adjust to the scramble and get open for the QB in the near to intermediate range lead to higher likely completion percentage attempts.

Deep passes are great, but they require a lot outside of the receiver to go right. If things go wrong in the pocket, a receiver going deep can be somewhat out of the play.

Maybe some of my thinking is just not wanting to give up on Schwartz quite yet. This is not to say that I absolutely don't want Scott, but that there's a lot to consider. It's often hard to figure out what will translate to the next level, and it's hard to put a finger on how a player will fit into or change the surrounding "structure."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Man, true single-high safeties are hard to find. No locks in this year's class. Brian Branch looks like he might be able to handle that role, but he'll be gone before the end of the 1st round.

Legend
Legend
What we do in free agency comes first.

Mentally it is hard to get into the draft until one can see what are needs really are.

We have to address the DL first. How, who, and for what cost will tell a lot. We need DT and DE.

We may need a safety. We may need a receiver. After free agency the draft picture will become clearer.

I don't like starting in the second round to fill a hole. I believe in BPA. I think you can go into say the second and say BPA from three positions and prioritise positions if you rate guys equal.

I am really curious about how this off season is handled.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I totally agree about BPA. We can't get too caught up in needs.

Legend
Legend
I agree to a point. But NOT with glaring weaknesses.

So, if the best center in football is available at 42, should be a first rounder; you guys draft him?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Belichick and his staff developed the Vertical and Horizontal boards way back when they were in Cleveland.

This is an abbreviated explanation.

The Vertical board is where you rank players from 1 through wherever your board ends. It's what we come to know as the Big Board. It is positionless. Just ranking players by how good you think they are.

The Horizontal board is where you rank each positional group on your own team and assign them grades. They then look at the grades they have on available players when they on their big board. Thus, the Horizontal board can affect who you pick, but it's very limited in terms of movement.

The idea is that you almost always want to draft the guy who has the highest grade on your Vertical board, but will move 1-2 spots based on your Horizontal board. Never move more than 3 spots. Teams get into trouble when they pass on superior players when they rely on drafting for need. This is magnified if they do this over a period of time.

Not sure if I explained that properly, but I didn't feel like typing out the entire process again.

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a great philosophy (and a solid explanation, thanks); I'm just not sure how much you can adhere to that when you have a bunch of 'As' and 'Bs' at many positions and then a 'D' or 'F' at others.

Is DT a 'D' or 'F'?

Would we draft a CB at 42? I say no way, no matter what.

In my opinion, drafting BPA is just that, a philosophy... not a rule. You try to adhere as best as you can; but ignorance of glaring holes in the interest of talent can be almost as absurd as the opposite.

Again, just my opinion.

Bottom line in my eyes, success in the NFL is a race to "plug 'n play". Once you are there, it's much easier to draft BPA. Getting to that point is much more important than assembling the most talent.

1 member likes this: Hammer
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's an interesting conversation.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Whoever the Browns take in RD 2 he has to be a bona-fide game changers
Where the other team on film Day says " WE HAVE TO SHUT THIS PLAYER
DOWN !!!"" The Browns haven't drafted one of those types since forever

Last edited by Iluvmyxstripper; 02/27/23 01:42 PM.
Legend
Legend
It is all about rankings. Then position. And value.

Never black and white mostly grey.

Let's say our needs by priority are DT, DE, WR, S.

Ideally you would love for highest ranking player to be DT or maybe edge.

But say a receiver who you rank higher than DT, edge happens to fall to your pick. You should take him.

If for some weird reason the best center in the draft fell to #42 and say you had him ranked 20's.

Damn straight you take him.

Legend
Legend
This guy is impressive.

Anudike-Uzomah has been a highly productive pass rusher for Kansas State. He has average size and speed for the position, but he's a skilled pass rusher. He had to play in a lot of tight alignments in K-State's three-down-linemen scheme. This forced him to play run-to-pass on early downs. He lacks the ideal size to battle inside against much bigger opponents and double teams, but he hangs in there and battles. When he got to play outside for the Wildcats, he displayed a variety of ways to generate pressure. He has a violent slap/rip move, a nifty spin and a quick hand-swipe maneuver. He is also effective as a looper. To see his full potential, watch the 2021 game against TCU, when he collected four sacks and harassed Max Duggan the entire game. Overall, I'm anxious to see how Anudike-Uzomah tests, but I believe his best football is yet to come.

I think he is a good fit fro the Browns. It would be sweet if we got him.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

I think Myles and Chubb both fit into that category.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I like Anudike-Uzomah a lot, too. I think he is my favorite of all the guys mocked to us. I really like Tyler Scott, as well. With that said, I haven't studied the draft nearly as much as I used to.

Legend
Legend
I don't either.

I use to look at game film not just highlights. Now I read scouting reports.

I don't really study guys.

Once the draft is over. Then I will go look closely.

When the Browns were chasing a quarterback I use to go all out on film.

Way more casual these days.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, I remember some of our discussions about the draft back in the day. Those were fun times.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hey Fate, one thing that I forgot to mention about the Horizontal boards that you might find interesting/important is that teams use them a lot when making trades. Say there is a guy you had ranked pretty high, say #38 and he is still available at pick # 42. You have pick #46. It's a good time to initiate trade talks w/the team who owns the 42nd overall pick. Teams also do it when trading down, too. But, I am pretty sure the Horizontal board is used more for trading up.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

You Demand the impossible - those players are at the top of round 1. The odds of selecting what you just described in round two is .... not high.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Your first post prompted a little digging to understand the horizontal/vertical stacks. Particularly related to Belichick. You sent me down a damned rabbit hole 🤪, so I apologize for the length (and anything confusing) in this post.

This was very helpful:

Inside Belichick's methodical approach to NFL Draft

I had to read it a couple times to really get a grip on the big picture, it all starts here...

The vertical board is the precursor to the horizontal board.

As you know, every scouted player gets a grade from 1.0 (long shot to even make a team) to 9.0. First-rounders are usually 6.0 or above. When vertical stacking starts, every player at a particular position the Patriots believe could play NFL football for them gets ranked. Some positions could have a dozen players. Some could have four.

“Stacking by position is, in relative terms, the easiest thing to do," Belichick explained at the time. "You simply stack guards one to 10 or whatever. …It's just, 'The first is better than the second, the second's better than the third.' "

Next comes the horizontal stack. Which is where it gets harder.

"Once it's all up vertically at every position, then you look across horizontally. You have a 6.0 grade for linebacker X. Then you follow across on the board and find the guys with the other 6.0 grades,” said Belichick.

"This part is hard to do. Here you start talking about a corner on the rise versus a center who's a good player but not a good athlete."

With so many players on the board, it's inevitable that there will be bunches of players with the same overall grade.

"At some point you have to break up that clump and say, 'OK, this is one, this is two, this is three.' Even if you have 15 guys in the 6.0 range and another 15 in the 6.1, you have to determine, 'This guy over that guy, that guy over the next guy,' and now you're in another vertical stack within your horizontal stack."

And then this (below) plays a huge role in creating your overall draft strategy, and your ability to adapt that strategy on draft day as the draft begins to unfold. This is about weighing the vertical stacks within the horizontal stacks and breaking up the 'clumps' he spoke about above. It pertains more to available talent at each position and how it fits into your needs as a team... it basically changes values, pick by pick, by constantly ranking and analyzing the remaining talent pool by position. I think a good example of this is proven year-in and year-out by the fact that we see 'runs' on positions; i.e... we may see a run on LBs in the late 2nd because teams see the talent pool being diluted and they think "I better get mine now"... many of them succumbing to fear of missing out, over-drafting, and blatantly ignoring BPA.

When it comes time to select, it’s not just a matter of automatically taking the most highly-graded player. Wiggle room is essential.

"Once you get the draft board set, as the head coach and director of personnel, Scott and I still have the authority to make determinations based on the football team,” Belichick explained. “You have this guy rated at 55, but we really need the guy at 63.

"Sometimes you do that within the draft. But I know if I take this 63, the 55 might still be there. You may have graded the player at 55 higher because of your system and you know you're higher on him than other teams. So we're going to take the player at 63 and hope for the 55 on the next pick.

“Or sometimes you look and say, 'This is the last tackle on the board for a long time. We have linebackers rated higher, but there are more of them.' So you need to take the tackle. That's just draft strategy."

And this (below) speaks directly to your second post. This is a very underrated part of 'winning the draft'. Knowing the needs of the teams around you... not only in helping to predict the availability of the players you have targeted, but also in identifying trades (according to the horizontal board, as you mentioned) both up and down.

All decision-makers are up-to-date on the rest of the league’s weak spots and needs. There’s a value page for trades and a history of trades made at certain spots.

"After every pick we make, we talk about what the needs of teams five, six, seven spots ahead of us are so we have idea of what they're looking at," Belichick said. "If you know a team needs a receiver, for instance, and they didn't get a receiver in the first round, they pretty much have to take a receiver in the second round. That second pick is more predictable."

And in Bill's case, it's mostly trading down (by nearly a 2-1 margin). So obviously, he pays great attention to the "five, six, seven spots" behind him as well. Since Belichick's arrival in New England, he has traded an average of 3.8 times per draft... 83 times. The next nearest club is 64. Sometimes Bill's "best player on the board" fits better into his trade philosophy than the confines of his actual roster -- and he takes advantage. He executes trades, and stockpiles draft capital, by taking advantage of the fact that team x will overpay for the WR they need. He knows he'll still end up picking his guy (probably a different position) from a pool that he has closely rated anyway. In essence, he 'sells' the best player available because that player doesn't fit the needs of his team.

Last edited by FATE; 02/27/23 09:56 PM.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks, I never read that article. Looks like it has really evolved from the early years.

Legend
Legend
This goes back to the Ravens in 1996.

Their starting LT was Tony Jones. In the 1996 draft the Ravens selected Jonathan Ogden. He played guard for them that year. Of course he went on to become a HOF LT.

I think BPA is a philosophy. I think it is a goal as well. However, it is not written in stone. Teams draft for need all the time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes they do. Need is certainly a factor baked into the draft. We actually witness it every year. I won't make that a blanket statement as teams have different strategies. And it also applies to how well rounded and compete a team is. If you look at team like KC, the Bills and Philly as some examples, their needs aren't as great and their teams are pretty complete. So their situation may make need a lesser issue in terms of who they select. But teams on the lower end of the spectrum are a different animal.

I would also like to add that the cost of signing the position in the FA market or as some call it positional value play a role as well. If you have a need at, as an example both RB and LT, LT costs a lot more to sign as a FA so it makes sense to draft the LT first and the RB later.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Exactly. That's why I always say the race to "plug 'n play" is the prerequisite to drafting BPA... as a religion rather than a goal. Once you're there, you should do it religiously.

When you have a bunch of holes, truly drafting BPA can range from solid thinking to downright stupid... depending on your situation.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
More on Tyler Scott:

Cincinnati WR and Norton High School's Tyler Scott and openly advocates for Browns to draft him

Jacob Roach
February 25, 2023 2:03 pm ET

The University of Cincinnati’s Tyler Scott is one of the most appealing wide receiver prospects for the Cleveland Browns in this year’s draft. He has the speed and dynamic play-making ability the team sorely needs to take the next step in 2023. Scott has already been clocked at a 4.29 40-yard dash and with the combine coming up next week talked with the 33rd Team about the possibility of breaking the combine record.

Scott talked about his role models and modeling his game after Browns’ wide receiver Amari Cooper before mentioning he hopes to join him in Cleveland. Browns fans would love to have Scott in Cleveland and putting him in the slot next to Cooper would make a formative group.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

I assume they meant formidable, but if not, what is that supposed to mean?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We have discussed multiple defensive linemen in this thread, so this is just a reminder that they will be on the field today. Combine coverage is on tv from 3 PM to 8 PM.

Legend
Legend
Thanks Vers!

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I am intrigued by this kid. Pretty much every receiver above him (especially those we will have a shot at) had hands or catching the ball in their CONS section of their draft profile. Don't we already have that in Schwartz??? Personally, my top criteria for WR is hands. Number two...Can he get open. This kid went to Princeton...so he is smart(or should be) He is an athletic Freak. He has Size, Speed, a large catch radius....and he has GOOD HANDS. The biggest knock against him is the talent he played against.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...e-a-browns-target-in-nfl-draft-2023.html

By Irie Harris, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- With the 2023 NFL Draft around the corner, the Browns are starting to build a list of key prospects to target. Among national mock drafts, a wide receiver from the Ivy League could be a possible target for the Browns.

That is Princeton’s Andrei Iosivas.

At 6-foot-3, 200-pounds, Iosivas already has the ideal size scouts love to see. But on top of this, as cleveland.com’s Lance Reisland stated in the video at the top of this post, “he could be the fastest guy in the combine running.”

He’s an ideal wideout prospect, yet he plays like a slot and can score in many different and creative ways. Iosivas has the physicality and speed to create separation between him and his defender, with tremendous control and catch radius as he’s coming down.

Thanks to his size and skill set, Iosivas can be a matchup nightmare for corners that have to cover him, as he finishes well through contact to get to the end zone.

Iosivas produced a strong senior campaign, leading the Ivy League in receptions (66), receiving yards (943), and touchdowns (seven). He recorded three games with 150 or more yards, including nine receptions for 176 yards and one touchdown in a 37-10 win over Harvard.

But Iosivas didn’t only excel on the field, he was also a heptathlete for Princeton’s track and field team. He set a new school record with a score of 5,715 points to win the heptathlon at the Wesley Brown Invitational, on his way to being named an 2022 All-American.

He has the speed, endurance and size to hold his own and be an asset for any NFL team.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
L
Legend
Legend
L
From that article, he certainly sounds like an excellent prospect. Plus he’s an Ivy Leaguer, so he’s gotta be half-smart.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Players mocked to the Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard