Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

https://247sports.com/Article/Browns-Hire-Bubba-Ventrone-205158036/

Browns Hire Bubba Ventrone as Special Teams Coordinator
ByBRAD STAINBROOK 6 hours ago

CLEVELAND-- The opening for a special teams coordinator did not last long.

Just days after firing Mike Priefer, the Cleveland Browns are in the process of hiring former Colts special teams coordinator and NFL player Bubba Ventrone, a league source confirmed to TheOBR.com.

Ventrone comes from the Indianapolis Colts, where he served under the same title from 2018-2022.

Cleveland recently requested and received permission to interview Ventrone after the Colts hired Shane Steichen as their new head coach.

Before his time in Indianapolis, Ventrone spent time in New England as an assistant special teams coach.

Prior to becoming a coach, Ventrone played in the NFL for ten years, spending time with the New York Jets (2005–08), New England Patriots (2005–14), Cleveland Browns (2009–2012), and San Francisco 49ers (2013–14). (2007). In 97 games over the course of his career, he appeared, recording 13 tackles (12 solo), one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries. Ventrone distinguished himself in special teams, recording 57 special teams stops. In 2011, he was selected as a Pro Bowl substitute.

Coaching Career

2015-2017 New England Patriots Assistant Special Teams

2018-2022 Indianapolis Colts Special Teams Coordinator

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
Never paid attention to the Colts' special teams. Is he good?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Never paid attention to the Colts' special teams. Is he good?

(top 10 not top 5)
Oh yeah! This is a huge hire for us.

I'm actually super confused & happy that he became available.

Berry has to have moles in different organizations to know Bubba could be taken. I would have e thought for sure Indy would have blocked it since it was a lateral move.

Crazy!

Legend
Legend
Welcome home!

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good news. Browns get the guy they wanted.

It was interesting listening to Cribbs talk about Ventrone yesterday on WKNR about their time as teammates.spoke about their mindset and pride in being a special teamed. Good stuff.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I do think Ventrone will be hired but there are not a whole lot of outlets reporting this yet. Usually, there is a flood of reporters confirming sources that this is the case. Perhaps this is just Stainbrook, once again, ahead of the pack.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hopefully there is an overall improvement in special team play.

York and the punter just be above average.

The coverage units, and blocking in kicks need to improve. That is where I hope to see improvement.

The Jets game was on tv the other night. What a shame to lose that way.

Wins are hard enough but blown wins are unacceptable.

Legend
Legend
Welcome home, Coach Bubba! Win us some games. I believe I just saw the ST bar moving upward. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I do think Ventrone will be hired but there are not a whole lot of outlets reporting this yet. Usually, there is a flood of reporters confirming sources that this is the case. Perhaps this is just Stainbrook, once again, ahead of the pack.

It will probably happen, but I don't think it is official yet.

Cleveland Browns News and Rumors: Bubba In Process, 85 Disagrees, and the Wrong Time For Awesomeness

ByBARRY MCBRIDE 2 hours ago

THE DAILY BLOVIATIONS
Good morning, Cleveland Browns fans!

I hope you woke up at a reasonable time and can sit down and enjoy (or at least tolerate) reading this morning’s diatribe with a cup of coffee or whatever marks your early morning repast. I could not, partially because I had to write said diatribe and partially because my spouse of 36 years needed a very early morning ride to the airport to attend a conference on the West Coast, so I was up at the ungodly hour of 3:30am to drive her to the airport.

All this meant that I was in bed early last night and missed my opportunity to look at a story we published on the Browns pursuit of Bubba Ventrone to be Special Teams Coordinator before it was published. This morning, I tweaked the headline to indicate that the hiring of Ventrone was something that was in the process rather than something that had been accomplished. The headline now better matches the story, which said that all along, as we all know that many people scan headlines and never bother to read the story.

Our story was based on a second source indicating the same thing as Jonathan Jones of CBS, which is that the Browns would try to sign Ventrone for the Special Teams Coordinator gig. I’ll go into this more in the bloviation on the next page. Still, I’m a big believer in transparency here and just wanted you to know that there was no new information that made us change the headline - e.g., some sort of last-minute hitch that we heard about - just a desire to make the headline more closely match the story itself.

Well, with that out of the way, it’s time to bloviate!

Have a good one! GO BROWNS!

IS IT TRULY BUBBA TIME?

Ever since the “parting of ways” with Browns special teams coach Mike Priefer, Browns fans and media types have been pondering the strange timing of the move. It seemed like a long time for Stefanski to “evaluate” the situation, and short of a Schwartz/Belichick turkey sandwich situation, there didn’t seem to be a strong rationale for waiting six weeks for Priefer’s exit, other than perhaps to give him some time to find a new gig.

That is until highly-regarded Special Teams Coordinator Ray “Bubba” Ventrone looked to become available as the Colts coaching staff turned over recently. With a good replacement available, the Browns hedged their bets by interviewing Anthony Blevins and, as Ian Rapport noted, Jet’s STC Leon Washington:

Still, Ventrone was expected to be the guy the Browns were targeting from the jump, with Stephen Holder and others in Indianapolis waving quick goodbyes to the coach, and insisting that they were sure he was leaving town.

Last night, CBS’ Jonathan Jones confirmed that the Browns were expected to hire Ventrone after his Wednesday interview, and other reports came out indicating the same.

Our source gave us word that the Browns were in the process of attempting to bring him in, and we went with our story. Since then, the reporting has sort of been all over the place. One fanblog said he was hired early yesterday prior to his interview based on the Indy comments, other outlets are being far more circumspect, but the team’s intentions are clear.

I’ve been in this business long enough to know that deals aren’t done until the ink is dry on the contract and the deal is announced through a press release (or, at least, the team or agent’s preferred media mouthpieces). Perhaps I’m paranoid, but the Colts liked Ventrone well enough that they gave him a head coaching interview, so I won’t be 100% confident he’s taking over the Browns special teams until that press release hits my inbox. That could be today. It could be tomorrow. But if/when it happens, I believe the Browns will have gotten better.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...e-For-Awesomeness-205188246/#205188246_1

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
irony that the link I first posted from 247 sports said he was hired and the other saying pause

However, everyone (Browns reporters) else on twitter is reporting that he is hired.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M

Here they come.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Berry has to have moles in different organizations to know Bubba could be taken.

He's just like the CIA I tell ya!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Berry has to have moles in different organizations to know Bubba could be taken.

He's just like the CIA I tell ya!

I mean... call it what you want.

Someone knew Ventrone was available. We got rid of Priefer like he was used TP and hired Ventrone within 3 days.

That's not happenstance.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Coaches representatives which talk with teams aren't "moles in different organizations". Elevating to assistant HC is a move almost any ST's coach would love the opportunity to have. Coaches too have lawyers and many also have agents just like the players do. This is the channel by which teams reach and discuss things with coaches from other teams. It has nothing to do with having moles on other teams. This isn't a James Bond movie.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Seems like a great hire by the Browns. They have seemingly upgraded their coaching staff this off-season. I'm old to remember when folks were complaining about Stefanski not prioritizing winning because he would not fire his coaches.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Seems like a great hire by the Browns. They have seemingly upgraded their coaching staff this off-season. I'm old to remember when folks were complaining about Stefanski not prioritizing winning because he would not fire his coaches.

I'll believe it's an improvement when I see it. One would think so, but one never knows how things are going to go disastrously wrong in Cleveland.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
j/c:

I'll believe it's an improvement when I see it. One would think so, but one never knows how things are going to go disastrously wrong in Cleveland.

I agree. We pretty much win the Super Bowl on paper every year.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c:

That's where I'm at. Show me.

Coaching changes, the draft, blah blah blah. On the field, with W's, is where it's at in my humble opinion.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Coaches representatives which talk with teams aren't "moles in different organizations". Elevating to assistant HC is a move almost any ST's coach would love the opportunity to have. Coaches too have lawyers and many also have agents just like the players do. This is the channel by which teams reach and discuss things with coaches from other teams. It has nothing to do with having moles on other teams. This isn't a James Bond movie.

I think you took it a little too literally when I used the word mole.

Regardless, AB was tipped off that Indy would allow us to go after Ventrone and Ventrone would be interested.

There is no other realistic way we made that kind of move on a coach who was in the top 10 in STs 4 times in the last 5 years and was currently employed with another team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Browns have made some good hires in the coaching ranks this off season.

Originally Posted by archbolddawg

That's where I'm at. Show me.

Coaching changes, the draft, blah blah blah. On the field, with W's, is where it's at in my humble opinion.

It would appear, IMHO, that with all the coaching changes, things were not as rosy with the last 2-years results as some have tried to imply. Coaches can only coach though and players have to play. All these moves mean nothing if the Browns don't start getting some players that can provide an immediate impact on the field rather than the normal project player they normally go after. After 3-years together, the learning curve and the waiting for players to grow into the position is over. The Browns have gone out and got their chosen coaches, Berry and Stefanski are now tasked to get those impact players and it's time to get a return on the investment. The excuse train has left the station.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Yo Bubba your not getting your gloves back bro lol

Last edited by GMdawg; 02/24/23 08:07 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Who has tried to imply that things were "rosy?"

How can the "excuse train" be over when you have been trashing everyone associated w/the Browns [other than Baker] for multiple years now?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Again, we have it - THERE IT IS - hijacking the thread and attacking the poster instead of talking about football and the Browns as the post denotes. Your constant need to spit your disdain for Mayfield in every thread is pitiful. Again, NEW FLASH, Mayfield doesn't play for the Browns anymore. "Rosy," you've been making excuses for the Browns poor record the last 2 years under Stefanski's rein constantly. The excuse train is still sitting at the station for you and ready to bring in its load. You don't finish in last place in the division and fix things without taking a serious critical look at EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY - you only want to look at Mayfield who has no bearing on the situation. As always, you do you!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't talking about Baker. I was talking about your love for him. Also, I was not posting on this board two years ago. Another thing, you can speak for yourself. No problem. However, you don't get to speak for others. Thus, your "excuse train" comment is off the tracks.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh baby, keep hijacking the thread with your agenda. My comment of the "excuse train" was my opinion. You are the one that has made the post a personal attack - as usual. Anytime you don't or can't respond with football facts you resort to personal attacks. The forum knows that's your mantra and it occurs in every thread. Just you being you again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Responding to comments you made is not hijacking the thread.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It is hijacking when you didn't respond to the opinion but attacked the poster - that is hijacking the thread, contains no reference to Pure Football Talk about the Browns and again, is your mantra and occurs in every thread. The world knows it and sees it in every thread - you being you.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Back to the Ventrone hire and away from throwing shade at Berry and Stefanski.......

Get to know new special teams coordinator Raymond "Bubba" Ventrone

Jacob Roach
February 24, 2023 6:53 am ET

On Thursday the Cleveland Browns officially hired former Colts special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone. The team officially hired him as their special teams coordinator as well as a promotion to assistant head coach. Ventrone has aspirations to become a head coach someday and this promotion will help him get there.

A well-respected coach around the NFL that has coached one of the better units in the league over the past few seasons. You can tell when your team hires a good coach when the fan base for the team he is leaving is upset to see him leave, a good sign for the Browns.

Let’s get to know the newest coach for the Cleveland Browns.

Bubba Ventrone spent 10 seasons as a player in the NFL including four seasons in Cleveland from 2009-2012. He went undrafted out of Vilanova before signing with the New England Patriots and an undrafted free agent in 2005. His career statistics include 64 tackles with one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.

He was primarily a special teams player but he was one of the better special teams players during his time in the league. It created a seamless transition from player to coach where he has become one of the league’s best special teams coordinators.

New England Coaching Years

The New England Patriots gave Ventrone his first chance in the NFL and also hired him for his first coaching position. He was the assistant special teams coach from 2015-2017 under Bill Belichick. Being able to draw on his experience as an ace special teamer caught the attention of Belichick and he made a name for himself quickly in NFL coaching circles.

Indianapolis Colts Coaching Years

The Colts hired Ventrone to lead their special teams unit in 2018 where he would coach until the Browns hired him this week. Ventrone quickly built the unit in Indianapolis into one of the best units in the league. The past three seasons the Colts’ units have been significantly better than the Browns.

Rick Gossellain’s rankings of special teams units rank Ventrone’s units the past three seasons all in the top 10 while the Browns were never better than 18th. This is a clear and significant upgrade for the Browns and time will tell how big of an impact it has.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
Legend
V
There was a tweet from the previous article that did not show up. Here is that information.

Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_

Here's how the Colts and Browns have graded on Rick Gossellain's special teams rankings the last three years

Colts - 8th
Browns - 18th

Colts - 2nd
Browns - 30th

Colts - 4th
Browns- 28th

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Did Colts lose Bubba Ventrone because of their interim decision?
By Jaleel Grandberry
Feb 23, 2023

"Unless Ventrone speaks out and explains his reasoning, we’ll never truly know. However, when Frank Reich was fired, many outside of the organization wanted Ventrone to be named interim head coach and people were frustrated that he wasn’t. If outsiders were frustrated, it’s understandable if Ventrone was frustrated as well. Could that decision have been the beginning of the end? Probably, but we don’t know that for sure.

What we do know is that Bubba Ventrone will now be coaching with the Cleveland Browns and that Shane Steichen and the Indianapolis Colts will now be searching for a new ST coach."

Their loss is our gain - Welcome Bubba.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: FL_Dawg, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Is it just me? I like it that his first name is Bubba.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20

I mean... I got a Chubba for Bubba

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20

3rd/20...you will get used to it..the name, BUBBA...

Last edited by mac; 02/24/23 02:42 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
There was a tweet from the previous article that did not show up. Here is that information.

Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_

Here's how the Colts and Browns have graded on Rick Gossellain's special teams rankings the last three years

Colts - 8th
Browns - 18th

Colts - 2nd
Browns - 30th

Colts - 4th
Browns- 28th

That looks pretty good. I wish I knew about the quality of the players that he had to work with in Indy...

I mean, I'd really be impressed if the quality of players for Indy were on par or worse than we have here. but if they are far superior, then that doesn't translate well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Vetrone was on a one year contract that had expired. He was available to all of the 31 other teams in the NFL. Nobody had to "tip anyone off" to that.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Vetrone was on a one year contract that had expired. He was available to all of the 31 other teams in the NFL. Nobody had to "tip anyone off" to that.

what?

He was under contract on the Colts staff.

The Browns had to request permission to interview Ventrone.

Why is this difficult for you?

P
Legend
Legend
P
It isn't difficult. the Browns sweetened the pot by offering him not only the position of ST's coach but also the Assistnat HC position. The colts also hired a new HC. And as is usually the case most new HC's bring in their own people including DC, OC and position coaches. This isn't some heavily guarded secret. My question is why is this so hard for you?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

It isn't difficult. the Browns sweetened the pot by offering him not only the position of ST's coach but also the Assistnat HC position. The colts also hired a new HC. And as is usually the case most new HC's bring in their own people including DC, OC and position coaches. This isn't some heavily guarded secret. My question is why is this so hard for you?

These two are not the same thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Bubba Ventrone as Special Teams Coordinator

Link Copied to Clipboard