Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2005280 02/26/23 06:52 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Because I live in Atlanta. I have had DirecTV in order to watch the Browns.

Now the deal ends. There are streaming services like youtube tv, Hulu etc. I dislike shopping.

I watch only a few tv channels. ESPN, Discovery, History, Nat Geo., FX, and Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO. I never watch local channels for anything but sports. I have to be able to watch Braves baseball which currently is Bally sports south or where they show the Braves in the Atlanta market.

Has anyone looked into this and know what is the best way to go? Things like recording and fast forwarding thru commercials is real important. I despise commercials. HBO most of the time sucks but I love Curb and Game of Thrones.

If I could select say 10 stations or so and watch the Browns, Braves, ( Guardians without a full MLB package). I would be happy.

bonefish #2005286 02/26/23 07:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've started to consider what I will do to transition off of DirecTV. We get Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ from my phone plan. I do pay $5 extra per month to get rid of commercials. I am likely to go with YouTube TV for all the rest, it looks like the best deal, but haven't fully decided yet.

HBOMAX can be had with Hulu or directly from HBO. Currently we get it because of DirecTV and I have to do that on Roku as the LG TV is a little too old for HBOMAX app.

FrankZ #2005288 02/26/23 08:00 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
We have infinity for internet.

Is there a bundle deal that is the overall best for

internet, cell, plus tv, with Browns games, nfl network, espn, and local Braves baseball, with the ability to record and skip commercials?

Or, is it better to say combine internet and cell and then stream a service like Youtube tv with nfl package?

bonefish #2005290 02/26/23 08:17 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We have XFinity for internet as well. We do not use them TV or phone. We use Verizon for mobile and Ooma for home phone (she wanted to keep the house number even though it really isn't important anymore).

I am not sure what is best for us will be best for you. I hope to get our stuff figured out in the next couple weeks, and I can update here when we decide something.

FrankZ #2005296 02/26/23 09:23 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I figured I would have to wade thru this. Household, usage, speed, preference [/color, cost, features.

Crap.

We are overpaying for cell, no doubt directv.

I saw some youtuber do a review of the streaming services.

They seem comparable.

thx

I will post what I end up with.

bonefish #2005316 02/27/23 09:14 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At least we have time to figure it out.

FrankZ #2005333 02/27/23 10:54 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I started looking this morning. What a mess.

Bally sports carries the Braves games. The streaming services don't. Plus youtube or hulu doesn't carry the History channel which I watch.

If I keep satellite directv $118. Add youtube at $65. That $183 is more than what I was spending during the NFL season.

Now it seems like I will have to go through all kinds of gerry rigging. Mix match log ins. All kinds of garbage.

bonefish #2005338 02/27/23 11:47 AM
Legend
Legend
Check out Fubo TV. (streaming) They seem to have reaquired the rights to Balley Sports, even in their $75 package.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
bonefish #2005345 02/27/23 12:10 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hulu has the history channel.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2005349 02/27/23 12:25 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Youtube doesn't.

But neither carry Bally Sports.

Fubo has it .

I will figure out something. I might role with satellite directv till the nfl season then add one of streaming services that will carry the NFL.

bonefish #2005351 02/27/23 12:35 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Youtube doesn't.

But neither carry Bally Sports.

Fubo has it .

I will figure out something. I might role with satellite directv till the nfl season then add one of streaming services that will carry the NFL.

I think it a given I will drop DirecTV. I think it will be killed off at some point anyway. AT&T tried to unload it already.

bonefish #2005381 02/27/23 04:09 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
AT&T has been pushing for DirectTV to become a streaming service for years, they just weren't very good at it.

YouTube has bought the NFL Ticket rights, so if out of market NFL games is what you will want, you'll want to look toward youtube.tv, although no "packages" have been disclosed, there have been rumors of possible 1 team ticket options, which I think would make a killing. SO many people were turned off by the 300-400 price tag to watch their one team, offer a 1 team package for $99, and they'd probably get 4x the subscribers

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #2005386 02/27/23 05:22 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I almost wish you had a screen menu that had everything and it was all pay per view.

bonefish #2006015 03/05/23 07:28 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I decided to give the Youtube TV a try on the 14 day free gtrial. We shall see how I like it. We realized we don't do a lot of live TV anymore. Some news and she likes the History channel for room background noise.

bonefish #2011256 04/11/23 01:30 PM
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
YouTube unveils NFL Sunday Ticket pricing details; no single-game, team options. https://theathletic.com/4397301/2023/04/11/nfl-sunday-ticket-pricing-youtube/

bonefish #2011258 04/11/23 01:41 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Guess I’ll be buying the Primetime package before June 6th.
I’ve heard that package doesn’t allow you to record the game… so you have to watch live? Can anyone confirm that?

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That would be unfortunate.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I’ve heard that package doesn’t allow you to record the game… so you have to watch live? Can anyone confirm that?

While I'm not 100% of the accuracy of this article, it states you can record every game. This is just a part of the overall article concerning the pricing and packaging that pertains to your question.....

The Final Cut

Once subscribed to YouTube TV, viewers can watch NFL action throughout the season from the comfort of their sofa or on-the-go with their favorite device. YouTube TV has NFL fans well covered by enabling them to stream live games on CBS and and Fox, which typically carry broadcasts from the AFC and NFC. Fans can also watch Thursday night games on the NFL Network, Sunday night games on NBC, and Monday Night Football on NBC.

Another option for YouTube TV subscribers is to use an antenna like HDHomeRun to stream sports from their local region. YouTube TV costs $64.99/mo., but new users can sign up for a free trial to test the service. The length of the free trial varies based on the promotions offered at any given time. This enables potential subscribers to try the service over a football weekend to see how many live NFL games they’re able to watch. An added extra is YouTube TV’s cloud DVR feature, which provides unlimited recording space for up to nine months. So, a YouTube TV subscriber could record every game throughout the NFL season and repeatedly watch their favorite ones.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-the-nfl-on-youtube-tv/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2011274 04/11/23 03:07 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Hard to say if I'll get it or not. I'd just do the more expensive one where I don't also have to subscribe to Youtube TV.

I still use my season tickets but have already found buyers to sell off 3 games. I'll go to at least 4-5 games, so I only have 1 game up in the air.

The deal is there is a group of people who I have watched games with for maybe 20 years at various locations around town. I am not sure I just want to give that up at this point, but watching any game I want at home has appeal.

I guess it just depends on how many games I would actually watch at home v going to the bar or stadium. You would also have to consider how many games might be a national telecast, such as MNF?

I'll have to think this one out for a while.

Who knows, maybe the whole Youtube deals kills bars even showing all the games. Shoot, everybody can get Youtube.

OK...maybe not everybody, but near.

It wouldn't kill it this year, but soon enough if enough people stay home and it isn't profitable enough for bars to pay the bar price for a youtube feed that covers multiple games on multiple TV's. They don't pay what you and I do for a home feed. They don't carry games out of the goodness of their heart. They expect to see a boost in wings and beer sales.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PitDAWG #2011282 04/11/23 04:09 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

While I'm not 100% of the accuracy of this article, it states you can record every game. This is just a part of the overall article concerning the pricing and packaging that pertains to your question.....

The Final Cut

Once subscribed to YouTube TV, viewers can watch NFL action throughout the season from the comfort of their sofa or on-the-go with their favorite device. YouTube TV has NFL fans well covered by enabling them to stream live games on CBS and and Fox, which typically carry broadcasts from the AFC and NFC. Fans can also watch Thursday night games on the NFL Network, Sunday night games on NBC, and Monday Night Football on NBC.

Another option for YouTube TV subscribers is to use an antenna like HDHomeRun to stream sports from their local region. YouTube TV costs $64.99/mo., but new users can sign up for a free trial to test the service. The length of the free trial varies based on the promotions offered at any given time. This enables potential subscribers to try the service over a football weekend to see how many live NFL games they’re able to watch. An added extra is YouTube TV’s cloud DVR feature, which provides unlimited recording space for up to nine months. So, a YouTube TV subscriber could record every game throughout the NFL season and repeatedly watch their favorite ones.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-the-nfl-on-youtube-tv/

From the way it reads, only the YouTube TV subscribers have the ability to record. It doesn’t seem as though those of us that just want to get the NFL package without subscribing to their full platform can’t. Which kinda sucks. I won’t be able to be home for every Sunday morning game. Meaning I’ll pay for the package but not be able to watch every game.
As much as I hate Direct TV at times, at least it was simple and straight forward. This is not what I was hoping would be the outcome of them losing the Season Ticket. In many ways it’s actually worse. Why can’t the NFL just stream the damn games from their platforms? Why can’t we buy one team? Etc.

This is just another company monopolizing the ability for fans to watch. Different name. Same, but worse outcome.

Ridiculous.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I can't say that I disagree with your sentiment but at the same time I will say that DirecTV didn't give you the option of only getting the NFL package at all. The only way you get could get the NFL Sunday Ticket was to be a DirecTV subscriber. So while as you pointed out this isn't optimum, it's still at least one step better than DriecTV was.

I tried Youtube TV a while back. As for myself I wasn't crazy about their format. Maybe I just didn't give myself enough time to adapt to it. So as of now I have Hulu rather than Youtube TV. I may be revisiting that choice.

But one thing about it is, I like watching multiple NFL games which are often televised at the same time so not to be able to record them would be a no go for me. Not to mention I hate paying all that money and being forced to watch commercials. I always let the games I plan to watch record ahead some so I can fast forward through the commercials.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This is still a mess. Bally Sports south carries the Braves. Youtube doesn't carry it. It also according to their package does not carry the History channel.

I have directv to add youtube for NFL without subscribing to a youtube package the cost is $350 for the season which is more than it was with directv.

Not good

bonefish #2011293 04/11/23 07:03 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I wonder what the limit is for home subscribers, can I watch 4-5 games simultaneously, or will I get limited?

Bars typically pay for the ticket based on max capacity, so it probably isn't changing much for them, except now they need to increase their bandwidth for streaming multiple games, and get the hardware to do so on each TV. Expect to see a spike in prices for streaming devices as every bar in America starts trying to acquire hardware.

Legend
Legend
That's ridiculous.... I'm going to have to switch to YouTube TV just to be able to record... I've gotten Sunday Ticket for years... but I'm also at every Texans home game, so frequently I'll have to record around 6-8 Browns games each year to be able to watch them...

Really didn't want to pick up YouTube TV but may have to cancel DirectTV and switch to YT just to be able to record football games...

<><

#gmstrong
bonefish #2011297 04/11/23 08:37 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We've canceled DirecTV. Today might be the last day of service.

I have been peeking at the Youtube TV page to see if they have started sign ups but it isn't there yet. I am not really wild about the layout and guide for YTTV but it is what it is. I will likely have to pick up HBO MAX and a couple other things soon too. It will still be cheaper than our DirecTV bill. The offered to cut $80 off the cost if we stayed, I pointed out they could have just done that. "We aren't allowed to call you to offer the discount" they told me. I replied I never asked for a higher rate either and they seemed to be able to raise it.

bonefish #2011298 04/11/23 08:52 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
They were talking about the NFL package going to YouTube earlier today. I think it’s going to be around 350.00 for the package. It’ll be a little less if you are already a YouTube premium subscriber. If you live in the market where your favorite team plays, I don’t see the value. I mean, we already get 3 free games on Sunday, including the Browns games.
However, if I lived out of market, or are a “football addict” I absolutely see the value in the subscription. - Get all of your favorite team’s games, plus all of the games that you’d like to watch while your favorite team isn’t playing. There was a couple times last year where I wish I could flip over to the Steelers games to root against them.
Going forward, I’d like to see them offer an option to pay for access to individual games. It would be great to pay around 20 bucks to to watch a game of choice while the Browns are on a bye.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
They were talking about the NFL package going to YouTube earlier today. I think it’s going to be around 350.00 for the package. It’ll be a little less if you are already a YouTube premium subscriber. If you live in the market where your favorite team plays, I don’t see the value. I mean, we already get 3 free games on Sunday, including the Browns games.
However, if I lived out of market, or are a “football addict” I absolutely see the value in the subscription. - Get all of your favorite team’s games, plus all of the games that you’d like to watch while your favorite team isn’t playing. There was a couple times last year where I wish I could flip over to the Steelers games to root against them.
Going forward, I’d like to see them offer an option to pay for access to individual games. It would be great to pay around 20 bucks to to watch a game of choice while the Browns are on a bye.

They probably will go for on demand at some point, but I would bet it will be for more than $20 a game. My guess would be double that.

They aren't going to price things where buying single games is going to be similar in price per game as buying the whole season. My guess is buying single games will cost near double what buying the entire season would.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
bonefish #2011331 04/12/23 11:27 AM
Legend
Legend
I already have Youtube TV and I'm seriously trying to decide if I'm a big enough NFL fan to shell out the money for the package. I do get most Browns games locally already.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #2011339 04/12/23 12:38 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m wondering if I’m just going to try to find online links to the games this season. I’ve had fairly decent luck with that when I’ve traveled away from home during the season.
I like my direct TV. I like its DVR… it has all the local channels… it has all the channels I like… it gives me access to the Big10 network so I can watch Midwest football. I don’t want YouTube tv, and paying $350 to not be able to record games seems steep.
The NFL is a multibillion dollar enterprise. It’s unreal this is the options they leave us. How about they put some money down to run their own damn service? They could keep it all in house. All the revenue too.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I know this doesn't pertain to the NFL package I suggest you look into Hulu. It has all of the same channels you spoke of as well as a DVR for a lower cost than DirecTV.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2011381 04/12/23 09:34 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

This is pretty concise:

Legend
Legend
Agree... would have preferred if they just had their own app/network....

<><

#gmstrong
FrankZ #2011520 04/14/23 11:58 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I have been peeking at the Youtube TV page to see if they have started sign ups but it isn't there yet. I am not really wild about the layout and guide for YTTV but it is what it is. I will likely have to pick up HBO MAX and a couple other things soon too. It will still be cheaper than our DirecTV bill. The offered to cut $80 off the cost if we stayed, I pointed out they could have just done that. "We aren't allowed to call you to offer the discount" they told me. I replied I never asked for a higher rate either and they seemed to be able to raise it.

FYI - I tried YT TV a couple years ago, back then at least you could reorganize the guide anyway you wanted. Which I did... Local channels at top, followed by the wife HGTV, Magnolia, etc, followed by sports channels I wanted, followed by remainders WTBS, TNT ETC.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

This is pretty concise:

That almost makes no sense.

349 vs 449, when youtube tv is only like $80. So get YTTV and package for 420

FloridaFan #2011525 04/14/23 12:20 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
NFL The Golden Goose.

Real rip off. History Channel could not reach a deal with youtube. Bally Sports which broadcasts the local Braves games. No deal with youtube.

There are issues with each service.

In the end I will probably keep directv and add youtube for NFL for $350 as a early non subscription user.

FloridaFan #2011526 04/14/23 12:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan

To be clear.......YTTV is 72 per month and the package is a one time fee. I think I'm going to pass on the package. I already have YTTV and get enough games on the networks, and the 2-3 weeks per season that the Browns get pre-empted for the Lions, I can get a stream. Also, YTTV has the NFL Network and I have Prime. The only thing I really regret missing out on is Redzone.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
bonefish #2011527 04/14/23 12:42 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

jfanent #2011534 04/14/23 01:42 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by jfanent

To be clear.......YTTV is 72 per month and the package is a one time fee. I think I'm going to pass on the package. I already have YTTV and get enough games on the networks, and the 2-3 weeks per season that the Browns get pre-empted for the Lions, I can get a stream. Also, YTTV has the NFL Network and I have Prime. The only thing I really regret missing out on is Redzone.

ahh yeah my bad.

jfanent #2011544 04/14/23 02:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent

Same here. Don't have enough interest in "all the games" to pay that price since I have enough football with YTTV and Prime.

I'm in Fort Wayne but declare Cleveland as my home (have a home there and log-in whenever I'm there). I have to wait 'til the Browns game is over (YT reads my IP address) before I can watch if I'm in Fort Wayne. That was irritating at first, but I'm used to it now.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FloridaFan #2011564 04/14/23 03:24 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FrankZ

FYI - I tried YT TV a couple years ago, back then at least you could reorganize the guide anyway you wanted. Which I did... Local channels at top, followed by the wife HGTV, Magnolia, etc, followed by sports channels I wanted, followed by remainders WTBS, TNT ETC.

It isn't just the guide. It all feels awkward to me, I will get used to it but you would think Google could hire some people to make it work better. I suppose it feels like someone used the Youtube interface for this and just wedged in different content.

I am signed up for the ticket though.... is it football season yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL Package

Link Copied to Clipboard