Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
bonefish #2005888 03/03/23 07:11 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
bone, I think we are miscommunicating. I wasn't speaking from Berry's perspective. I was speaking from my own. Despite what mac says, none of us are going to watch game tape of every freaking player in the draft. When I say I like to see the field drills for blah, blah, blah.......I am talking about me. I see guys I like and who score well and then I narrow down my search and start looking at reports and video of those guys. I never once intended to imply that is what Berry does.

I like talking about football players. Not the salary cap, or how bad a coach sucks, or the FO. Not sure what the problem is w/discussing football players on a football message board.

I pointed out Young from Tenn. Others posted negatives. That's fine w/me. It's football talk. It sure beats the "Browns suck" that dominates almost every post in the football forums.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Man, the DBs were flying today. Very good speed.

One guy who should not be drafted high is Clark Phillips III. He stood out to me w/how disciplined he was w/his footwork, ball skills, and change of direction. He also did a great job of knowing when to turn his head to locate the ball. Very natural w/that. And that is something most of the guys really struggled with. He's a shorter guy, but is very physical. I thought he looked a lot smoother than most of the other guys. He's not a stud like Christian Gonzalez, but CG will be taken early. That dude was impressive.

Anyway, we are probably going to have to get a Nickel back and this guy could fit the role. Here is a scouting report on him.

Clark Phillips III

UTAH
CB

Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Utah
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Lakewood, CA
Junior
HEIGHT
5’ 9’’
WEIGHT
184 lbs
ARM
29 1/8’’
HAND
9 1/8’’

Prospect Grade
Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

Good

Production Score
2023 Combine CB Rank: 8th
Athleticism Score *est
2023 Combine CB Rank: 30th
Total Score
2023 Combine CB Rank: 16th

Combine Results
u-unofficial
40-Yard Dash
Secondsu
10-Yard Split
Seconds
Vertical Jump
33’’
Broad Jump
--
3-Cone Drill
--
20-Yd Shuttle
--
Bench Press
--

Player Bio

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison
Mike Hilton

Overview
Phillips might not be a big, long cornerback, but he’s a playmaker. He has the play traits to continue down that same path as a pro. He’s a voracious student of the game and has developed a feel for reading the quarterback’s drops and eyes. He’s a little tight-hipped and can give away separation at the top of the route, but when he’s clued in, Phillips uses aggressive angles to search for takeaways. He’s tough, smart and knows how to play. He should become a solid nickel cornerback, but his success could be tethered to matchups from week to week.

Strengths
Student of the game and football cinephile.
Chiseled physique with plus strength for his size.
Plays a bold brand of football.
Reads quarterback and route simultaneously.
Attacks throws with playmaking angles and determined demeanor.
Finished career with nine interceptions, including four returned for scores.
Twitchy plant and drive when responding to throws.
Physical in tight quarters.

Weaknesses
Lateral transitions to shadow the route are turbulent.
Allows early separation against shallow crossing routes.
Could struggle staying connected to routes from the slot.
Will look to do too much from zone at times.
Downfield physicality could lead to flags at the next level.
Short limbs could limit jump-ball challenges and tackling in space.

Sources Tell Us
“He’s a big-time self-starter. He wants to be great.” -- West Coast scout for AFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/clark-phillips-iii/32005048-4967-2138-705f-d3b4ab36a39f

tru_dawgs #2005890 03/03/23 07:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Byron Young is already 24
Yeah that's my main concern with him as well, will be 25 in 10 more days....and we know how Berry loves them fresh in age. I've been very high on Young from the Vols for the past month or two....I think he will be more lethal even as a 3-4 OLB/Edge...and his combine has been sharp.

A guy I'm really impressed with is Derick Hall the end at Auburn, he's one of my favorites if we go DE early...I have a lot of love from the Kansas State DE Felix Uzomah as well...I wouldn't be disappointed in either of them. Zach Harrison kinda reminds me of Chris Canty, and I could see him projecting better in an odd front.

Keep an eye on Miami's TE Will Mallory, he is someone I would love late in the draft. He has a lot of work to do on adding strength and his blocking isn't on par, However I think Njoku would have zero issues taking another Cane under his wing (Njoku came a long way in his blocking) Mallory has been a product of poor QB play, nice sleeper whom was projected a 2nd-3rd rounder last year.

Not that I dislike WR Parker Washington, he just isn't in the same department in speed as Johan Dotson (whom I loved last year) Be interesting to see what he runs, for a smaller guy he lacks that electric element imo. The Maryland WR Jarrett is somewhat similar (slot guy, not blazing on tape) but may present a better grab, as he's projected a couple rounds later.

I like Hall too

I think that pick #42 is still in a good position to draft one of the following,

8. Derick Hall
9. B.J. Ojulari
10. Felix Anudike-Uzomah
11. Isaiah Foskey
^
From my list

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Glad he has the 1/8 going for him...

He seems a little short to be a storm trooper..erm.. QB.

FrankZ #2005944 03/04/23 04:30 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: Versatile Dog, Hammer
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I thought Tyson Bagent the DII QB looked good. Stetson Bennett threw really well.

Milk Man #2005946 03/04/23 05:42 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Milk Man #2005952 03/04/23 06:28 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't have the video, but Tyler Scott's gauntlet was also amazing. Right down the line. Flying. Sticky hands. Very smooth. So was JSN from Ohio State, but he'll be long gone.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Btw----Here is a link for a Combine Results Tracker for each positional group if anyone wants to compare numbers.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ighlights-draft/bemtrd46a62ozogdc4edtp4n

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
So much for my guy Will Mallory being a late round steal for us.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I don't have the video, but Tyler Scott's gauntlet was also amazing. Right down the line. Flying. Sticky hands. Very smooth. So was JSN from Ohio State, but he'll be long gone.

2 members like this: Hammer, Versatile Dog
Milk Man #2005980 03/05/23 08:54 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks Milk.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is not related to the Browns in any way, but I don't think I have ever seen a QB throw the ball better at the Combine than what Stroud did yesterday. That was simply an amazing performance.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
One NFL Scouting Combine standout per position for the Browns to target

Cory Kinnan
March 6, 2023 6:30 am ET

The 2023 NFL Scouting Combine has come to an end, and plenty of valuable information has been sprinkled onto the field and in interviews for the Cleveland Browns to pull from. From Cincinnati wide receiver Tyler Scott to others, there were quite a bit of fits for the Browns that stood out during their time in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Who were they and how did they perform at the combine? Some old, some young as the Browns have proven to expand their age guardrail in the later rounds, here is one combine standout per position who the Browns should have on their radar as they look to get their roster back into playoff contention.

Quarterback: Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA

The Browns met with UCLA quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson at the NFL Scouting Combine, and they may just be looking for backup quarterbacks capable of running the offense they want to run. And coming off of a career year with the Bruins with over 3,100 yards passing and another 645 rushing, there is plenty of reason to see why he could be a day-three target in Cleveland.

He ran a 40-yard dash in the 97th percentile of all quarterbacks, the best 10-yard split ever recorded among quarterbacks, and a broad jump in the 94th percentile. As the Browns transition to more gun-run and 11 personnel, they could draft Thompson-Robinson and have him compete with Kellen Mond as Deshaun Watson’s backup.

Running Back: Keaton Mitchell, East Carolina

As the Browns will let Kareem Hunt walk this offseason, they have belief in second-year back Jerome Ford to carry the load. However, they could look for another running back to add to the room through the draft, and East Carolina’s Keaton Mitchell had himself a day in Indianapolis.

Coming off of a productive season with the Pirates where Mitchell racked up nearly 1,700 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2023, he then tore up the track at Lucas Oil Stadium. Despite coming in at just 5-foot-7 and 179 pounds, Mitchell blazed a 4.37-second 40-yard dash with a 10-yard split that fell in the 93rd percentile of all running backs historically. Both of his jumps surpassed that 90th percentile as well as Mitchell proved to be an explosive commodity.

Wide Receiver: Tyler Scott, Cincinnati

Scott is a household name to Browns Wire readers at this point as he is a fan favorite. And he tested off the charts at the combine as well to solidify his status as a potential top-50 pick in this year’s draft class. As the Browns look to get more explosive through the air in 2023, Scott is an ideal fit with the 42nd pick.

Starting with his vertical and broad jump, Scott jumped in the 94th and 98th percentile historically in those drills (39.5-inch vertical, 11-foot-1 broad). He then ran a 4.44 40-yard dash despite getting out of the blocks slowly. He’s explosive, and the data backs that up.

Tight End: Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State

The Browns are expected to make an upgrade to their tight end position behind David Njoku this offseason. While they have been linked to two free agent veterans, they could also take the 2023 NFL Draft route. If they do, South Dakota State’s Tucker Kraft has the alignment versatility to be a move piece the Browns could be looking to plug into their offense.

He can play H-back, he can play inline, and he can play in the slot. He ran a 4.69 40-yard dash with a blazing 10-yard split that fell in the 93rd percentile historically. All-in-all, there was not a drill that Kraft floundered in as he was in the 73rd percentile historically or above in every drill.

Kraft would be an ideal middle-round pick.

Offensive Tackle: Blake Freeland, BYU

While the tape of BYU’s offensive tackle Blake Freeland is pretty rough this season, there is no doubting his athletic ceiling. As Jack Conklin and Jedrick Wills have two guaranteed years left on each of their deals (assuming Wills’ fifth-year option is picked up), Freeland would make an ideal mid-round target to let Bill Callahan get his hands on.

Why? Because Freeland tested as one of the most athletic tackles ever, including breaking the combine record in the vertical jump for an offensive lineman at 37 inches. His broad jump was also in the 99th percentile all-time, and his 40-yard dash can in under five seconds. It does not hurt that his three-cone drill also came in at the 90th percentile.

Offensive Guard: Anthony Bradford, LSU

The Browns have two of the highest-paid guards in the NFL, and that cannot continue as their cap space will shrink in future years. This means they may need to take a swing on a mid-to-late interior offensive lineman in the draft. And after testing like a freak despite weighing in at 332 pounds, Anthony Bradford should be firmly on their radar.

Both of his jumps came in over the 80th percentile and he ran a 40-yard dash in the 91st percentile (with a 10-yard split in the 92nd percentile) at his size. LSU had both of their guards drafted into the NFL, and now Bradford looks to be another this season. Could he land in Cleveland?

Center: Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

The Browns have made a way to overcome deficiencies on tape and in size by plugging athletic centers into their system. Nick Harris spot-started a game in 2021 flawlessly, and Ethan Pocic played like a top-five player at his position after five subpar seasons with the Seattle Seahawks.

With some fans of his tape out there, Arkansas’ Ricky Stromberg could be an excellent day-three pick for the Browns after a strong showing at the Shrine Bowl, and now a strong combine. He tested as an explosive athlete with both of his jumps coming in the 93rd percentile or above. While his 40 time was just average (the 55th percentile), Stromberg is a smart and explosive player worth a look in later rounds.

EDGE: Derick Hall, Auburn

The pass rusher class was an odd one. Either a prospect tested himself way out of the range of the Browns like Nolan Smith, or they did not do enough testing to get an idea of who they are (BJ Ojulari and Zach Harrison). However, Auburn’s Derick Hall was one prospect that did his work and tested well.

Hall has proven to be a strong run defender but a developmental pass rusher, but his athletic traits make him a player worth betting on. Hall put his explosiveness on full display with a 4.57 40-yard dash, a 10-yard split (97th percentile), and a 10-foot-7 broad jump. As the Browns look for a big end opposite Myles Garrett, Hall fits the bill.

Defensive Tackle: Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern

There is not a player with a better pre-draft process this year than Northwestern’s Adetomiwa Adebawore as he now adds the best 40-yard dash by an interior defensive lineman ever to his name after a dominant Senior Bowl showing. On top of that, both of Adebawore’s jumps came in at the 99th percentile among defensive tackles as well.

Predominantly a three-tech, Adebawore has five-tech versatility as well, making him a talented defensive lineman for Jim Schwartz to get his hands on. However, after this pre-draft process, will Adebawore even be on the board with the 42nd overall pick?

Linebacker: Dorian Williams, Tulane

The Browns have never been a team to use an early-round pick on a linebacker, and there is reason to believe they will abstain again this year. While they could (and should) bring back veteran Anthony Walker Jr. to help the young players through a defensive regime change, they need to bring in an explosive and developmental piece as well.

Tulane’s Dorian Williams would be a great fit in that role with their fourth round pick. With legit 4.5 speed, the 6-foot-1 linebacker also displayed good explosiveness in his abilities. He ended the season by racking up double-digit tackles against USC, an excellent Senior Bowl showing, and now a great combine.

Keep Williams on your radar.

Cornerback: Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson

The caveat to TCU cornerback Tre’Vius Hodges-Tomlinson is quite obvious: there is only one cornerback as small as him to ever attend the NFL Scouting Combine. However, he is a proven dog on tape who is more than willing to come up and hit in run support. As the Browns look for a new nickel, Hodges-Tomlinson may just be on their draft board.

Despite his size, Hodges-Tomlinson looked unbelievably fluid and strong in his on-field drills and tested off the charts as well. At just 5-foot-8, Hodges-Tomlinson leaped to a vertical jump of 39 inches and a broad jump of 11 feet. He then followed up his explosive jumps with a 4.42 40-yard dash.

Pound-for-pound, Hodges-Tomlinson is one of the scrappiest players in this class and a player that will claw his way to success at the next level.

Safety: Quan Martin, Illinois

As previously mentioned, the Browns are in the hunt for a new nickel, and while Hodges-Tomlinson is one candidate, Illinois safety Quan Martin is another fine option. Playing both nickel and deep safety for the Illini, Martin is not only versatile but perhaps the most athletic safety in the class.

Proving to be ultra-explosive, Martin skied to the second-best vertical jump of all-time among safeties at 44 inches, and his broad jump came in over 11 feet as well. With a sub-4.5 40-yard dash as well, Martin took that explosiveness and looked incredibly fluid and crisp in the on-field drills as well.

While he is 23 years old, Martin would make a fantastic mid-round pick for the Browns.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
EDGE: Derick Hall, Auburn

The pass rusher class was an odd one. Either a prospect tested himself way out of the range of the Browns like Nolan Smith, or they did not do enough testing to get an idea of who they are (BJ Ojulari and Zach Harrison). However, Auburn’s Derick Hall was one prospect that did his work and tested well.

Or they tested their way out of the a top 50 selection ... like

Andre Carter II
Mike Morris
Keion White

Pushing others up in the process.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M

As the Browns will let Kareem Hunt walk this offseason, they have belief in second-year back Jerome Ford to carry the load. However, they could look for another running back to add to the room through the draft, and East Carolina’s Keaton Mitchell had himself a day in Indianapolis.

Coming off of a productive season with the Pirates where Mitchell racked up nearly 1,700 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2023, he then tore up the track at Lucas Oil Stadium. Despite coming in at just 5-foot-7 and 179 pounds, Mitchell blazed a 4.37-second 40-yard dash with a 10-yard split that fell in the 93rd percentile of all running backs historically. Both of his jumps surpassed that 90th percentile as well as Mitchell proved to be an explosive commodity.

Would be thrilled to get this guy late in the draft and get the ball in his hands a few times a game. Mitchell could supplant Felton who does not seem to have much of a role on the team anymore.

Milk Man #2006148 03/06/23 06:27 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Felton. I actually hope we can find a way to keep DEJ on the cheap.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
why why why why why why why why why why are we even thinking about WRs or TEs???? is that out problem? are they going to take us to the Super Bowl? IMO our current receivers and TEs passed the eye test, made minimal mistakes, and caught alot of catchable passes. Only thing I would touch on offense is OL, the rest should be defense. Defense lost us 4 games games outright last year, could've made the playoffs (and been one and done but still)

Milk Man #2006556 03/09/23 12:55 PM
Legend
Legend
well, you can take him off our board. We can't be drafting WR's with good hands.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: mgh888
boofers20 #2006561 03/09/23 01:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Look at it any way you like. They invested 230 million guaranteed into a QB. They will make sure that QB has the weapons he needs. The current WR roster doesn't provide that. As with all things follow the money. You can't sell the fan base on watson if he can't put on an air show.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #2006569 03/09/23 01:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Would be thrilled to get this guy late in the draft and get the ball in his hands a few times a game. Mitchell could supplant Felton who does not seem to have much of a role on the team anymore.

Felton is not a fast player for the role we have used him for ... I think by default and certainly a place to look to upgrade.

Former East Carolina RB Ernest Byner would approve of Keaton Mitchell to the Browns

thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 NFL Combine

Link Copied to Clipboard