Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The Boss got what he wanted...now it's up to our Ivy League management to make it work without destroying the team just to pay one player.

Winning the Super Bowl is the #1 priority in Cleveland...now it's up to the Browns 'financial wizards' to make the math works out ...everyone needs to just do their job and make it happen by wining on the field as well as off the field...even if it takes some fuzzy math.

Just win..!

Last edited by mac; 03/08/23 02:22 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
You don't understand anything. It's some BS you've made up in your own mind and tried selling. Nobody here is butt hurt it seems except the person who keeps bringing up baker and making excuses for that contract.

Like I said, it's not an all or nothing proposition. And BTW Malik Wills was a third round draft pick. Not a first round pick. You seem to be concentrated on the "2021 season". Why is that? You used to be a long term picture kind of guy. You used to be a guy who said that getting a good QB on a rookie deal was the way to do it because once that rookie deal was over you had to dedicate too much money to the QB position it was next to impossible to keep a good team together when you were put in that position.

Where the hell did that guy go?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, it's been great not having to read your posts. I made that post to Pit because he said that "many since we signed DW was that the salary cap is a non-factor," and "that Steve was constantly talking about the impact of the salary cap but he was stupid because the Cap would be manipulated and Berry is smarter than the average NFL Cap manager"

Those are both lies.

V
Legend
Legend
V
How did I know that you would reply w/insults and personal comments and evade the question?

I bring up the 2021 season because it was after that season that we had to make a decision on our QB. So, please tell us what the Browns should have done at the QB position instead of trading for Watson?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The salary cap "is an accounting tool and there are many ways around it."

Until there is no other way around it. It doesn't go away...you don't "save" money off the cap...you just push it around...unless you kick a guy off the team. It seems like I've read that before on here.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No they aren't lies as much as you would like to use a classless approach to the contrary. You yourself have claimed that it can be manipulated and that the Saints have done so for years. That's the perfect description of something being a non factor. I don't need to point the finger to show who it is that's lying here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, bring that up to Berry. It was his comment, not mine. Of course, you probably know more about manipulating the salary cap than he does.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
How did I know that you would reply w/insults and personal comments and evade the question?

I bring up the 2021 season because it was after that season that we had to make a decision on our QB. So, please tell us what the Browns should have done at the QB position instead of trading for Watson?

According to how the 2022 season played out the Browns should have went with Brissett until a reasonable alternative could have been found. Unless of course you didn't think a top 10 offense looked good.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
They were lies. I have said the salary cap can be manipulated. I never said it was non-factor and that steve was stupid. Those are lies. Spin away.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, your plan would have been to pass on Watson and sign Jacoby Brissett [who has been a backup for almost his entire career] and roll into the future w/him? Hey, if you thought that was a good plan, so be it. I don't think anyone else considered that as a plan to fix the qb situation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It was you who stated Brissett ran a top 10 offense in 2022 and it was you who concentrated on what should have been done at the end of the 2021 season. Not me.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
They were lies. I have said the salary cap can be manipulated. I never said it was non-factor and that steve was stupid. Those are lies. Spin away.

I don't have to spin anything. You have pointed to the Saints who have been in cap hell for years of how the cap had no impact on them. Your words speak for themselves.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Laughable considering what you've just written. You are a very toxic and unstable individual.

As for what people wrote about the Salary Cap - people most definitely completely tried to shout Steve down and completely downplay the impact of the Salary Cap - it's all in black and white. Nothing is a lie. And if you DISAGREE - then that's your OPINION.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

SEE WHAT YOU STARTED STEVE?!

brownie

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

This is a great read.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It was you who stated Brissett ran a top 10 offense in 2022 and it was you who concentrated on what should have been done at the end of the 2021 season. Not me.

So, in other words..........you can't come up w/a better plan than signing Watson and you deflect yet again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mgh888

Laughable considering what you've just written. You are a very toxic and unstable individual.

Like I said earlier. You, and your constant insults, were not missed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This is interesting...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Too late now but what we could have done is never sign DW keep Jacoby as our starter and draft Anthony Richardson in April. BRILLIANT!!!!! thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
Is that sarcasm or are you serious?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just a bit of levity Vers. Although I do think AR might be a guy someone could draft and develop. He has the physical tools.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888

Like I said earlier. You, and your constant insults, were not missed.

You are the King of Name Calling.
You are the Tsar of telling posters what to post.
You are the Sultan of crying Victim.
You are the Emperor of hypocrisy.

None of us can hold a candle to you.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I understand, but how were the Browns supposed to plan on drafting Anthony Richardson two years later? Also, Richardson is tied for the 2nd highest odds of being the #1 overall pick. We would have drafted 12 this year if we had kept our pick. Furthermore, JB was 4 and 7 and Watson was 3 and 3, so perhaps we would have been even lower if JB played all year. Another thing, while Richardson is a great athlete and physical specimen, he wasn't very good in college. His completion percentage was barely above 50% and he struggled w/accuracy and winning games all year. Watson has proven to be an elite QB in the NFL and he was far superior to Richardson in college.

I think there are a lot of sour grapes, mostly from Baker fans, about Watson. But none of them can offer a realistic alternative plan.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I concur that trading for and then signing DW was the best move for us at QB regardless of the baggage. I hope he still is the QB he was. I think he will be.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Who knows. He might not be. But, we did not have a lot of options at the time. Our FO is in a win now mode. They knew their current qb was not the guy. The draft class sucked. The FA QBs were not good other than R. Wilson. But, thank God we did not end up w/him. He was a disaster in Denver and Seattle got better w/out him.

The constant talk that insinuates that the Browns were so dumb for making the trade is irritating because none of those guys can offer a better plan. When challenged to do so, they move the goal posts and make things personal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

This is a great read.

It's powerful.

The gambling being the biggest mistake of his life part kind of stinks of the NFL making a public "apology" a condition of his reinstatement. I wonder how the league feels about the misdiagnosis and excessive painkiller injections part.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Who knows. He might not be. But, we did not have a lot of options at the time. Our FO is in a win now mode. They knew their current qb was not the guy. The draft class sucked. The FA QBs were not good other than R. Wilson. But, thank God we did not end up w/him. He was a disaster in Denver and Seattle got better w/out him.

The constant talk that insinuates that the Browns were so dumb for making the trade is irritating because none of those guys can offer a better plan. When challenged to do so, they move the goal posts and make things personal.

The table is set, now it's up to those in charge to produce...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
2023 NFL free agency: Dre'Mont Jones, Jamel Dean among 7 less-heralded players who could get PAID
Published: Mar 09, 2023 at 07:30 AM

Tom Pelissero
NFL Media Insider

The NFL's negotiating window for free agents opens this coming Monday at noon ET, with the free agency period officially beginning at the start of the new league on Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET. The record salary cap of $224.8 million per club is good news for those hitting the open market.

There are notable names -- such as safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson, receiver Jakobi Meyers and 2022 franchise players Orlando Brown Jr., Jessie Bates and Dalton Schultz -- among those in line for big second contracts. But some less-heralded young players are in position to break the bank, too.

Here's a short list, with help from PFF stats compiled by NFL Research's Katherine Baker.

Dre'Mont Jones
DL · Age: 26

With Daron Payne getting the franchise tag in Washington, a lot of the defensive line focus in free agency will be on veteran Javon Hargrave, who is set to bank another lucrative contract at age 30. But Jones -- a third-round pick in 2019 who only became a full-time starter in Denver last season -- could end up being one of the biggest winners in the open market. He has 22 sacks in 56 career games (29 starts) and was just enjoying his best pro campaign before suffering a season-ending hip injury in Week 14. Per PFF, Jones generated 45 total pressures (tied for 11th among interior DL) with a 10.6 pressure percentage (11th, min. 200 pass rushes) in 2022, while also racking up 6.5 sacks. Jones figures to have multiple suitors, which could drive the price to the $18 million-per-year range.

One more name to watch in the secondary D-line market: Zach Allen, who logged 9.5 sacks in two seasons as a full-time starter for the Cardinals.

Jamel Dean
CB · Age: 26

Byron Murphy
CB · Age: 25

Veterans James Bradberry (age 29), Jonathan Jones (29) and Cam Sutton (28) figure to do well on their third multi-year deals. But don't be surprised if Dean paces the CB market, with a contract that could start in the range of $16 million a year. A third-round pick by the Buccaneers in 2019, Dean quietly has emerged as one of the NFL's better young cornerbacks, with seven interceptions and 41 passes defensed in 57 career games (38 starts). Per PFF, Dean allowed a 50 percent completion rate (fourth among CBs with at least 50 targets) and 6.1 yards per target (T-10th) in primary coverage last season, with a forced incompletion rate of 16.2 percent (T-12th).

Murphy potentially could push toward $16 million per year, too, as a do-it-all corner whom the Cardinals used at times to shadow the likes of Davante Adams. By PFF's count, Murphy allowed 9.7 yards per reception in primary coverage last season (ninth among CBs, min. 50 targets) and yielded just seven plays of at least 15 yards (tied for fourth).

Tremaine Edmunds
LB · Age: 24

Perhaps Edmunds doesn't fit the "less-heralded" label, with two Pro Bowl appearances in 2019 and '20 -- the only player on this list ever selected to the NFL's all-star game -- but the man isn't exactly a certified star, either. And if one linebacker gets the proverbial bag in this free-agent class, it'll probably be Edmunds, a first-round pick by the Bills in 2018 whose age (turns 25 in May) and productivity (five seasons with 100-plus tackles) may well yield a contract topping the $15 million-per-year figure Foye Oluokun got from the Jaguars a year ago. Per PFF, Edmunds had an 88.1 coverage grade last season (sixth-highest in the entire NFL, min. 25 targets), allowing just 5.3 yards per coverage target (third among LBs).

It's been tricky in recent years for free-agent linebackers, but there should be a strong secondary market at the position, as well. Two names to monitor: Bobby Okereke, who has started every game but one over the past two seasons and put up a career-high 151 tackles with the Colts in 2022; and T.J. Edwards, an undrafted free agent who turned into a three-year starter with the Eagles and was among the NFL leaders with 159 tackles last season.

Jawaan Taylor

RT · Age: 28

Four-time Pro Bowl selection Orlando Brown Jr. was a somewhat-surprising addition to the free-agent pool when the Chiefs didn't tag him a second time, and he should get his bag as the clear top left tackle available. But three right tackles also figure to cash in.

The going rate for top RTs these days is $15 million to $19 million a year, and it won't be a surprise if Taylor lands on the high end of that range after starting all 68 games (including the playoffs) since he joined the Jaguars as a second-round pick in the 2019 draft. Per PFF, Taylor allowed a 2.5 percent pressure rate last season (third-lowest among tackles with at least 300 pass-blocking snaps) and posted a 98.4 pass-blocking efficiency grade (fifth-best). McGary also could land in that price range, benefiting from the Falcons' decision to decline his fifth-year option last year. Per PFF, McGary earned a 91.6 run-blocking grade last season (second among tackles) and was also effective in pass protection, allowing a 3.9 percent pressure rate. Another name to watch is McGlinchey, the No. 9 overall pick in 2018 who returned from a season-ending torn quadriceps in 2021 to start all 20 games (including playoffs) for the 49ers last season. On PFF's charts, McGlinchey recorded a 5.1 percent pressure rate and a 96.9 pass-blocking efficiency grade last season, both career bests in a season with at last 300 pass-blocking snaps.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-f...eralded-players-who?campaign=Twitter_atn

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Baker Mayfield loyalists- reality check- FORMER 1 picked player- compare his performance to Miles Garrett- which has performed better, has most value- ain't close. Baker has been released by TWO teams besides BROWNS- got to be a reason-----bottomline- very poor number one choice- small, over-achieving little man, who has classic little man problem- constant chip on his shoulder. Has he performed, yes, but three teams has said- see ya. How many more to come? Browns make a GREAT decision NOT paying him......GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Wow!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

So, in other words..........you can't come up w/a better plan than signing Watson and you deflect yet again.

No, actually when looking at performance based results, which is actually all that matters in the NFL, in 2022 Brissett was by far the better option. It's not my fault you're unwilling to admit that.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think there are a lot of sour grapes, mostly from Baker fans, about Watson. But none of them can offer a realistic alternative plan.

rofl

Great football post! You just make crap up and call it gospel. You sound like a televangelist.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by hitt
Baker Mayfield loyalists- reality check- FORMER 1 picked player- compare his performance to Miles Garrett- which has performed better, has most value- ain't close. Baker has been released by TWO teams besides BROWNS- got to be a reason-----bottomline- very poor number one choice- small, over-achieving little man, who has classic little man problem- constant chip on his shoulder. Has he performed, yes, but three teams has said- see ya. How many more to come? Browns make a GREAT decision NOT paying him......GO Browns!!!

Now if only the premise of your post were true. There are no "Baker Mayfield Loyalists". This has been the made up excuse those trying to justify the terrible contract the Browns gave watson and attempting to undermine those who hate the idea of having a sexual predator as being the QB of the team they've been a fan of all their life. Your and Vers BS isn't going to work.

What the Browns agreed to pay watson along with who and what he is have nothing to do with Baker Mayfield.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Definitely not great to see for the Cardinals. I think at the same time it reads worse than it was meant without the context.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It probably was taken out of context a bit. However, it's pretty clear to see that Murray is immature. Some of his body language and pouty looks are cringe worthy.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
It probably was taken out of context a bit. However, it's pretty clear to see that Murray is immature. Some of his body language and pouty looks are cringe worthy.

Not unlike one Lamar Jackson.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: WSU Willie, Hammer
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not arguing, but I don't view Lamar that way. I see him as fiercely competitive. He scowls. Murray pouts and throws his arms up in the air when someone drops a ball. But, my perspective could be wrong when it comes to Lamar.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard