Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I've said it here for years, how I've always been envious of the Eagles Dline...in how they always apply pressure by being very deep and fresh. This was prior to even Schwartz coming over, and with our Dline being horrid outside of Myles. I will assume we will grab a DT and DE come the draft (possibly double dip at DT) since I'm sure Berry is going to give his boy Alex Wright a push. A guy I like later in the draft (projected anywhere from round 4-6) is Texas DT Keondre Coburn...Now I don't get Shaun Rodgers vibes with him...And he's probably more of a limited tackle for us (run sets and goal line) His motor is better than I expected, and he is often doubled and washed. But shows an ability to rip fast when single blocked. However, like Perrion Winfrey he ends up stuffed or on the ground too much for my liking. Not a star by any means, but his stout abilities present a very good value in the later rounds...hoping he's there in the top of round 5 for us. Would be a nice depth and situational piece for us....would be nice if we can grab him and Benton (obviously Benton will go much earlier) really form that DT core for us.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good info. We aren't going to find great prospects to talk about in the latter rounds and I appreciate you finding a guy who might be available later. It's why I brought up Clark Phillips. All of those guys will have some flaws.

I haven't given up on Winfrey yet. I think getting his head on straight will go a long way in him becoming a better player. I also think we will use FA to bolster the DL. Wright showed some potential. He was forced to play more than anyone planned due to Clowney being "injured" so much.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Browns have met w/two WRs that we talked about earlier in this thread: Tyler Scott and Josh Downs.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is some commentary about the WRs that we have discussed and been mocked to us. Not sure if Flowers was mocked to us, but we did talk about him on here. I know bonefish really likes him.

Winners

Wide receivers

Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati: Scott is fun to watch with his ability to get in and out of breaks. He showed explosive qualities in his broad and vertical jumps. In the gauntlet drill, he kept his route flat across the field and looked really smooth in the process.

Marvin Mims Jr., WR, Oklahoma: Mims tested fast and explosive. His on-field performance did not disappoint, either. Oklahoma was down this season and Mims transitioned from Caleb Williams to Dillon Gabriel, but Mims still asserted himself as the go-to wide receiver in that offense. He should see his stock rise.

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College: Flowers was quick through the whip routes and generally excelled in areas that most would expect. However, he did a good job of playing above the rim when given the opportunity and tested respectably. Houston's Tank Dell is another who did a good job in the gauntlet drill, flattening his route across the field.

Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina: Downs was a smooth operator. His measurables may not stack up favorably to other top prospects in this class, but his attention to detail running routes, getting in and out of breaks and eluding defenders post-catch have not gone unnoticed. He may not be as role versatile but will have no problem producing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...mong-winners-and-losers-in-wr-te-groups/

Legend
Legend
Hard to make any predictions, but it is cool Tyler Scott wants to be a Brown.

It really depends on what we do in free agency. If we can address the defensive line. Maybe we could land Scott.

This off season will be a challenge. We have to maximize what we are able to do. We know the needs.

The question remains who can we get? Only in trade can you really target "a player."

This is a big year for Andrew Berry. I like the composition of the coaching staff. We have talent. We don't need stars. We need competent role players.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It really depends on what we do in free agency. If we can address the defensive line. Maybe we could land Scott.

This is what I am hoping for. The FA WRs all have questions surrounding them and the price for WRs has skyrocketed. I think there are quite a few FA defensive linemen that could become available and I think they are a much better value than the WRs are. Tyler Scott was not high on my list at first, but the more I dig, the more I like him. I'm not speaking from a real educated point of view, but that's the way I view it right now.

Legend
Legend
I agree.

I don't see us trading for a D'Hop or any other WR. In fact I am not really concerned as most are about WR. In Bell and Woods we don't even know about them really. Njoku is going to get targets. Cooper and DPJ are solid. Hell maybe Schwartz gets reborn.

We need to use the free agent dollars on the DL.

I am hoping when pick #42 comes we can just take BPA. If that is Scott - cool. If it is Uzomah than take him. We can find a receiver if we need one.

In the end when it is all said and done come May. I think we will be ok. Then there are camp cuts etc. Berry is going to go all out trying to build the best roster he can.

It really is about Deshaun Watson. If he the guy he has shown in the past when he was in the groove of playing. All should be well.

https://www.brownsnation.com/nfl-wr-prospect-says-he-had-a-great-meeting-with-browns/

Last edited by bonefish; 03/05/23 11:38 AM.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
The Browns have met w/two WRs that we talked about earlier in this thread: Tyler Scott and Josh Downs.
After a @uick glance, I highly doubt Josh Downs will be there at 32, let alone 42.
Too many catches and touchdowns in a 2 year frame for enough of the NFL teams to pass that up for a whole round.
After all the name of the game is scoring points and WRs score more points than about anybody.
I'd bet Downs lasts only until pick 28 or twenty nine at the latest, just look at past drafts, he could go higher too. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Iosivas the Wr from Princeton. ,not a football school.

Does, Doesn't being a Heptathalon athlete hurt his stock instead of help it, because you need football players not track and field athletes
they aren't going to be asked to run track and field on game days,
they already grabbed a track and field star two years ago and he's barely had a catch in the NFL in a long time.

I'm not saying he's not what he isn't, he's just not what he's not.

I mean you have to assign correct value to the possible selection of a prospect, unless you really want them. And if you really want someone, they ought to be a football player. I mean they should scream football player when you have a look at them, no @uestion of baseball player, or or anything.
Of course they would probably pick a Princeton ivy league player, they are id>, very on brand.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jonathan Mingo Wr from Mississippi is interesting. Especially if he is there at pick one hundred eleven.
A big Frame Wr.

1 member likes this: Irish0414
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
After a @uick glance, I highly doubt Josh Downs will be there at 32, let alone 42.
Too many catches and touchdowns in a 2 year frame for enough of the NFL teams to pass that up for a whole round.
After all the name of the game is scoring points and WRs score more points than about anybody.
I'd bet Downs lasts only until pick 28 or twenty nine at the latest, just look at past drafts, he could go higher too. frown

Going back to 2013, only 2 receivers 5'9" or shorter have been drafted in the 1st round, Marquise Brown and Tavon Austin. Only 2 5'10" receivers were 1st rounders over the same period, Brandin Cooks and Phillip Dorsett.

Tavon Austin and Marquise Brown both run low 4.3 in the 40. (Brown missed the combine with a foot injury, but he was a known burner and had been clocked there.) Downs ran a 4.48.

Josh Downs had good production, but it isn't everything. Stedman Bailey had 25 TDs his last college season and lasted to pick 92. Patrick Edwards (also 5'9") had 20 TDs and went undrafted. Jaelon Darden (who's now on the Browns) had 19 TDs and went pick 129. Downs "only" had 19 in his last 2 seasons combined.

All I'm saying is it's hard to predict where someone will be picked based on production. Also, receivers his size have not gone in more first rounds than they have gone in the past decade. I could see him going round 1. I could see him going round 3, and anywhere in between.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Many of the best WRs in the last 10 years are 6'1" or shorter

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I am not interested in drafting WR Josh Downs with our 42 pick ... He is more quick than fast, and for his size he isn't anything special speed wise.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Iosivas the Wr from Princeton. ,not a football school.

Does, Doesn't being a Heptathalon athlete hurt his stock instead of help it, because you need football players not track and field athletes
they aren't going to be asked to run track and field on game days,
they already grabbed a track and field star two years ago and he's barely had a catch in the NFL in a long time.

I'm not saying he's not what he isn't, he's just not what he's not.

I mean you have to assign correct value to the possible selection of a prospect, unless you really want them. And if you really want someone, they ought to be a football player. I mean they should scream football player when you have a look at them, no @uestion of baseball player, or or anything.
Of course they would probably pick a Princeton ivy league player, they are id>, very on brand.

I don't know anything about the guy, but the school won't hurt.

Some people are academically gifted and want to go to a top school. Doing so also means the football program is a bit limited by the school to allow student to exceed in school.

Players can do both. It's not as common because marketing plays a role these days, but Calvin Hill went to Yale? He could have played anywhere...there are others.

I guess what I am saying is if you have the ability, you can play football at an Ivy League school and play in the NFL, but you can't go to Tennessee and attain an Ivy degree. For the brainiacs of the world, that Ivy degree is their Heisman Trophy and lotto ticket.

I said Tennessee because I live in Tennessee. Call it Florida where I graduated, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, USC or any other fine college who is known as a football factory. You can get a fine education there, but no matter what, Ivy stands alone when it come to the sheepskin on the wall, so if you can get it, do it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
After the trade For Elijah Moore WR. the Browns
STILL have 2 picks in the top I04 overall.
2 before the trade and 2 after. Well Done.

Legend
Legend
this years draft is gonna feel a better weird... no first round.... no second round.....

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird
this years draft is gonna feel a better weird... no first round.... no second round.....

Yep. Won't be watching this year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by jaybird

Yep. Won't be watching this year.

Overall, watching the draft is pretty boring. It doesn't make much difference to me if I see the pick in real time or find out an hour later by checking a Browns site.

I may flip to the channel and if the Browns are soon to pick I will stick with it, but other than that I know that I will find out later in the day. Plus, I like the later rounds because they actually move. That 1st round is dreadfully long.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get that. I usually put it on my second screen with mute and watch the pick ticker until we are close. The listen during the pick. I've done that on the first night for several years now. No use this year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

I'm a freak that would have different channels' coverage on different screens, and watch all of it. Like to see all the highlights and try to figure out how the players will fit wherever they end up going. I also would kind of live mock each pick and would like to see how many of my picks match the teams.

Not sure if I will end up doing that this year or not. Not because of our lack of early picks, but I might be otherwise engaged.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: GMdawg
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Yet, employers are starting to say....sheepskin ain't important, sell me on your SKILLS. Time will tell.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
browns wire on the interntet search at top of page mentioned ,
Marvin Mims NOOOOOO
and Ivan pace Jr.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM MARVIN MIMS

why, why would you go for a guy with obviously no upside

Might as well give a udfa a try than waste a pick on a player with what projects to do nothing of special.
Nobody would take a volkswagon bug to a car race. cheesy movies excluded.
somebody tell me how Marvin Mims wouldn't be either of both, a player with no upside and a bad fit for the Browns current,
and near future needs / and group fit.
Give Schwartz a chance, or draft Mims? I'd rather give Schwartz a chance.

Players mocked to the Browns.

Legend
Legend
When you begin at pick 74. Kinda takes the sizzle out.

Besides damn near impossible to predict.

I don't have a clue on who we will choose.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
T
Legend
Legend
T
It is not very often that the team gets a good interior offensive lineman anywhere outside of the draft.

The injury to Michael Woods shows just how important depth is.

If you marry Best player available and team needs, then the Browns,,, after the Moore and Goodwyn signings,

are in a rare position to address and add either a Center, or an Offensive Guard, and have a good value at that position at the place they pick, pick number seventy four this time.

If they DO NOT, get a good pick at the interior offensive line, and, if they
for about a 4th year plus in a row NEGLECT the interior offensive line, then they are doomed to all future considerations on how they Blew the Opportunity, because they don't prioritize winning,
they prioritize guardrails and analytics, PHOOEY.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Teller: Acquired in a trade.

Pocic: Acquired in FA.

Tretter: Acquired in FA.

T
Legend
Legend
T
That further highlights how they have not drafted a good Interior offensive lineman in the draft, for too long at time. It's about time they do.
Tretter is no longer on the team, Pocic was a stopgap because they didn't have a good option at the time, and Teller was an unforeseen improving player. They will have need and value at the draft an opportunity they should not pass up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't pick until 74, who knows what the value will be when the draft gets there. When you've got multiple pro bowlers on the interior OL, you generally don't use more high picks on interior OL. Pocic may have been a stopgap, but they re-signed him because he "had the right fertilizer and blossomed." I don't see us using our 1st pick on a guy that they hope never plays, as would be the case for any interior OL. I especially don't see it when Callahan has been able to produce "unforeseen improving players."

If an interior OL is clearly BPA, sure, take him. I'm guessing they'll see more value elsewhere, though.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That further highlights how they have not drafted a good Interior offensive lineman in the draft, for too long at time. It's about time they do.
Tretter is no longer on the team, Pocic was a stopgap because they didn't have a good option at the time, and Teller was an unforeseen improving player. They will have need and value at the draft an opportunity they should not pass up.

You began your previous post w/this:

It is not very often that the team gets a good interior offensive lineman anywhere outside of the draft.

I gave you three examples of how your statement was incorrect.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I do agree that most good interior linemen come from later rounds or are are FA castoffs. Teams don't generally pick them high, and don't usually allow enough time for them to turn in to the players they can become.

Not saying that is good or bad, it is what it is. Bitonio was a later round pick and thankfully we stuck with him long enough to have him now.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I do agree that most good interior linemen come from later rounds or are are FA castoffs. Teams don't generally pick them high, and don't usually allow enough time for them to turn in to the players they can become.

Not saying that is good or bad, it is what it is. Bitonio was a later round pick and thankfully we stuck with him long enough to have him now.

Bitonio was the 35th overall pick in the 2014 draft. (just to clarify)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
2 members like this: Ballpeen, PitDAWG
T
Legend
Legend
T
20I4 was 8? no nine years ago, you draft for 3 years in the future, according to google Joe Thomas played eleven years in the NFL, hmm.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Who are the most common players drafted to Browns in mock drafts?

Cory Kinnan
April 5, 2023 9:17 am ET

The Cleveland Browns do not regularly appear in mock drafts anymore after falling not only out of the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft but out of the second round as well. This makes projecting who they will take in the draft a bit of a mystery to figure out. And the best way to figure out exactly who could be on their board that late in the draft is to see who they are most commonly mocked by analysts and media members pumping out content.

Skimming through mock drafts, four common names have been repeated throughout them.

Auburn EDGE Derick Hall

As the Browns plugged a ton of their gaps on the roster in free agency, depth off the edge is still an issue. The only players on the roster behind Myles Garrett and Ogbo Okoronkwo are second-year players Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas.

Derick Hall is a bit of a weird player where his skillset best translates as a 4-3 end but played his entire collegiate career as a 3-4 standup rusher. If he landed in Cleveland, the explosive and heavy-handed pass rusher would fit in as a rotational end as either a big end or the occasional wide-nine look.

Oklahoma WR Marvin Mims

Wide receiver remains a need for the Browns despite the trade for Elijah Moore.

Donovan Peoples-Jones has just one year left on his contract, the team has a decision to make on the $23 million cap hit of Amari Cooper beyond 2023, and the rest of the depth below Moore is negligible. With Marquise Goodwin on just a one-year deal, the Browns may decide to round out the room long-term with a talented speedster on a rookie deal.

While Cincinnati’s Tyler Scott remains the preferred option, one of the most common options after falling back to pick 74 has been Oklahoma’s Marvin Mims. An explosive vertical threat, Mims has proven capable of winning both inside and out while averaging a ridiculous 20 yards per catch throughout his career.

SMU WR Rashee Rice

Another common wide receiver to see landing with the Browns is SMU’s Rashee Rice. This is perhaps the least favorable option of all of the names listed as there is just no calling card to the game of Rice.

He is not fast, his route tree is thin, his hands remain skeptical, and he does not play through contact at a high level. Drafting Rice if players like Mims or Scott are on the board would be a significant disappointment. Don’t do it, Andrew Berry.

Wisconsin EDGE Nick Herbig

There may not be a better player to draft on the board at the 74th pick in the draft than Wisconsin pass rusher Nick Herbig. While he is a bit of a tweener and perhaps a sub-package player, Herbig has real juice, bend, and nuance as a pass rusher when he is asked to pin his ears back off the edge.

As the Browns look to add to their linebacker room and add defensive end depth, Herbig could be the best of both worlds as a base SAM linebacker and pass rush specialist in obvious passing situations. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz could have a ton of fun scheming up ways to deploy Herbig.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The kid is stuck on Nick Herbig lol ... who probably isn't a good system fit for us.

I really think that Safety (Robinson/Battle) could be in play here at #74 with next season in mind.

Or a LT if one Bill likes is sitting there at pick #74. ... which I will admit is probably not very realistic considering where we are drafting as of today.

For what it's worth the Concensus Big Board has LT Matthew Bergeron (the Canook) as the 72nd 2023 Draft prospect in their Mock Draft data base....Interestingly enough his comp has been Joel Bitonio (who came into the League having been a LT), so even if he doesn't unseat Wills at LT ... then he could take over at one of the OG positions in the near future.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
All time low interest in the draft.

By the third round the players are just names to me.

When the draft is over I will look at who we drafted.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That makes a lot of sense bone. That's pretty much the way I've treated every draft beyond the second round. Once you get to the third round and beyond it's a guessing game of who will even be on the board much less who the Browns would select of those remaining. And before the usual suspects climb up my back, I'm not saying that everyone else should approach it that way. I'm sure there are avid draft junkies who will project all seven rounds and that's fine. As for myself I see it as a wasteful exercise. Just as yourself I'll look at the picks after the dust settles.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by hitt
Yet, employers are starting to say....sheepskin ain't important, sell me on your SKILLS. Time will tell.

There is some truth in that. That somewhat depends on the industry, and I don't think it applies so much to an Ivy degree. Most of those people have been recruited and have a job the day they leave school.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Berry may make a trade to move into the second round.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

This link should work

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
IMO we'll be drafting for depth on D-line, and secondary. If we keep most of our picks, I would think we'll look at a LB, WR and an OL for development.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 Players mocked to the Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard