Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Center from the Buckeyes. No question we needed depth at C. And it probably marks the end of the kid from Washington

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’m a big fan of continuously drafting OL as long as they’re the right ones lol. But you see lack of OL depth as a plague right now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Center from the Buckeyes. No question we needed depth at C. And it probably marks the end of the kid from Washington

Is it more interior depth and not specific to C? I don't know much on the guy.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It says he is strictly a center. So either he or Harris will be pocic backup.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

From Dane Brugler....

STRENGTHS: Athletic mover with the first step and joint flexibility to get underneath defenders ... executes well laterally to reach or pull ... highly efficient on combos
and climbs to pass off defensive tackles before reaching the second level ... displays patient weight distribution and strong hands to redirect/mirror in his pass sets ...
his hands stay accessible for quick resets if he gets swiped ... adjusts well with gap exchanges and his peripheral vision is an asset ... made major strides with his
snap/delay penalties between his sophomore and junior seasons ... coachable, high-intangible player with the mental capacity for the NFL game (also adds plenty of
dry humor) ... durable player who started all 26 games the past two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Short arms and can be flattened out if he doesn’t initiate first contact ... struggles to regain leverage against power or long-arm moves ... shaky anchor
and it will be tougher for him to “lose slowly” versus NFL bull rush ... can do a better job rolling his hips to add explosion at contact ... doesn’t consistently drive
defenders in the run ... quick to climb, but inconsistent breakdown in space to lock down linebackers ... questionable position flexibility with 100 percent of his snaps
coming at center in college.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Wypler was entrenched at center in head coach Ryan Day’s zone/RPO-based offense. A high school offensive tackle, he
made the move inside, where he was the starting center for all 25 of C.J. Stroud’s college starts. (Stroud: “Luke is probably one of the smartest people I have ever
been around ... the smartest O-lineman I’ve ever met in my life.”) Wypler is a quick, efficient mover with outstanding football IQ and communication skills. However,
he labors to sustain if not perfectly square, especially with defenders on his edge, and can be stacked when he isn’t in position to break contact. Overall, Wypler is
sawed-off and will be force-fed his vegetables as he adapts to NFL power, but his above-average athleticism and handwork help him stay in position. He is ideally
suited for a zone team and projects as an NFL backup with potential to be more.

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That’s a lot of snaps

T
Legend
Legend
T
NFL draft buzz says run blocking ninety one percent.
Maybe he will be a future starting center for the Browns at some point. Go Browns

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 04/29/23 04:32 PM.

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My favorite pick of our draft this year

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think the value says it all with that selection. Very nice pick. You let the coaches worry about when and where he plays. Also, Pocic has had some injury history.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wypler is the Center of the future.
Pocic signed a 3 year contract.
Depending on contract structure and health, the change could come sooner.

Also, do we really think that Wyatt Teller plays out his contract?
Wypler could replace Teller in 2024 and man the RG spot until he takes over at Center

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Jester
Wypler is the Center of the future.
Pocic signed a 3 year contract.
Depending on contract structure and health, the change could come sooner.

Wypler could replace Teller in 2024 and man the RG spot until he takes over at Center

Everything i have seen indicates that Wypler is a center only. That said, who knows? Also, Pocic has moved around some. Nothing says he can't bounce out to guard in a pinch.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

I'm not sure of the percentages, but I'm guessing a good portion of players don't fully play out the contract. As far as Teller is concerned, the team saves $9M if they cut him after this season. I'm not advocating the move, but it all comes down to whether the juice is worth the squeeze and Teller had some injury concerns this year. If he is 100%, he is probably worth it or the team restructures to keep him. If not, then maybe Luke is the backup plan?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I actually like this pick better than the Jones pick. Jones has more potential, but Wypler has been more consistent. He had a few issues w/snaps last year, but he plays w/a nice base and has good leverage. I think he can be a starter in a couple of years.

I do not understand why there have been so many comments about getting rid of Teller in recent months. Yeah, his contract is significant, but the dude is a beast. You keep guys like that. I see Wypler as a center and not a guard.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree Vers

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I do not understand why there have been so many comments about getting rid of Teller in recent months. Yeah, his contract is significant, but the dude is a beast. You keep guys like that. I see Wypler as a center and not a guard.

I agree to, when Teller is healthy he is a top 10 G in the league

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'd say top 3 or 4, but I do get what you are trying to say and that you are actually complimenting him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Instant Analysis: Grading the Browns' selection of Ohio State C Luke Wypler

Cory Kinnan
April 29, 2023 5:26 pm ET

Somehow, someway Ohio State center Luke Wypler fell not only out of Day 2 but all the way into the sixth round. And the Cleveland Browns, a team that has been drafting for value over positional need all weekend, this was music to their ears as they landed Wypler for just the price of pick no. 190.

As we have done with every other pick, we will grade this Wypler pick as well. Trying to stay unbiased about a Browns pick from the state of Ohio, it remains quite difficult not to think the Browns knocked this one out of the park.

The production:
Production is hard to grade for an offensive lineman, so we predominantly have to look at pressures allowed and athleticism to translate them to the NFL level, and the data favors Wypler quite well.

Using PFF metrics, Wypler graded off the charts as both a pass blocker and run blocker for the Buckeyes over his two seasons as the starting center. No. 2 overall pick and Houston Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud has even said that Wypler is one of the smartest players he has ever played with.

This past season, Wypler allowed only eight pressures and just one sack all season from the middle of the Ohio State offensive line. This is off the heels of a 2021 season where he allowed just eight more pressures and no sacks. Allowing just one sack in two seasons sounds pretty good to me.

Also, an athletic player, Wypler finished his pre-draft cycle with a Relative Athletic Score of 9.31. He checks all of the boxes the Browns could look for from a data perspective.

Grade: A

The fit:
My goodness, Wypler was created to play in an outside zone scheme. He is not overly physical or powerful, but he is athletic, mobile, and comfortable in space when climbing and working toward the boundary. This makes him a dream for what the Browns look to accomplish in the run game.

Who knows when he will see the field as a starter, but he was built to plug into this system. As they transition to more shotgun runs, however, that is where it could get a bit sticky. However, Wypler plays with great leverage and possesses a firm anchor when he is able to jump set and drop his weight right off the snap.

Grade: A+

The grade:
For the cost of pick no. 190, what more could someone want out of the pick He’s got the grades, he fits the scheme like a glove, and helps the Browns get out in front of a potential need in 2024.

Not many remember because he tore his ACL shortly after, but Dawson Deaton could not even find the field with third-stringers in the one preseason game he dressed for. Deaton was not a lock to make the team if he had not been placed on Injured Reserve before the season started.

Harris is entering a contract year off of a significant lower-body injury in the first preseason game of the season. At this point, the 2020 NFL draft sixth rounder is on the outside looking in. Even Pocic, who just signed an extension, has safeguards built into his contract should his play return to the level it was with the Seattle Seahawks.

The Browns landed great value in Wypler who fits a need and their scheme well.

Overall grade: A

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

2 members like this: Ballpeen, GratefulDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Seems like he’s a favorite of a lot of the experts

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL Draft 2023 6th Round Pick - Luke Wypler

Link Copied to Clipboard