Next Thread
Print Thread
#2011492 04/13/23 09:14 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
(don't know if randomness is a word, though)

I umpire softball. I had no game tonight. The local team had a game at home though, so I went to it. More to watch and possibly learn from the umps. I've been umping for basically 7 years, but it's always good to stand back and watch others, in my opinion. (I did learn one thing: the base ump was .....well, the epitome of lethargic).

So, just watching. Game got over. The baseball team was playing, so I went and watched that as we have friends that have a son playing. So, I'm just standing there and some guy (I know HIM, but I don't think he knows me) asks me if I knew Joe Thomas was going to be near here (maybe 6 miles from my house) next Wednesday. He then pointed at my Browns shirt I was wearing.

I said I didn't know that, asked him some info - he gave me someone's number, we talked a bit, and I went up to sit with my friend. "Hey, you know Joe Thomas is going to be at the Legion Hall next wednesday?" He said yeah, then asked if I wanted a ticket. "Uh, yeah." I think I have an extra one. Wait, maybe I don't. But I'll get you one. He sent a text to someone.(he's a well connected person). Sure enough, I got a ticket.

All because I wanted to watch other umpires and possibly learn some do's and do nots - I get to meet and listen to Joe Thomas.

5 members like this: Clemdawg, jfanent, GMdawg
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Unbelievable night. Joe was, in person, exactly what he was on the field.

He was very open. ( I sat about 7 feet away from him) Said he didn't like to make speeches, so "let's just do a Q and A" But prior to that, I asked if I could get a picture of him and me. He said yeah, why don't you come up here" So, I did.

bit later I had some stuff - "Hey, are you signing anything? I hate to be pushy." he said "yes, what do you have?" Then, " I stole a sharpie."

Dude answered every question. Favorite qb he played with? "Uh, I played with a lot, but probably Colt McCoy. He and I are still good friends. Brady Quinn was a good guy."

I asked him about the picture of him "re accommodating" a stooler player (we've all seen that picture, shortly after.......I think it was United Airlines" He laughed and said "what people don't know is that guy threw his hand under my face mask 2 plays earlier. I had to return the favor."

Talked about the draft. he and his dad only had caught 2 fish when he got the call that the Browns had drafted him, and that Lerner had sent his private plane to pick him up. He was ticked that he had to quit fishing to go to the airport.

Talked about anything and everything anyone asked. Open, honest, and lots of stuff no one knew..........like being on crutches for much of the week before games. (that would explain so many missed practice days).

Talked about how many o coordinators he played under. Explained that he felt it would be great if he could be an anchor for bringing a championship to Cleveland - that's why he stayed - but he was offered up in a trade no one knew about.

So much more - but the guy is down to earth, thin, open, and he's got the "it" factor.

3 members like this: Clemdawg, FATE, jfanent
Legend
Legend
That's awesome! Congrats!

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is pretty random. A dad just dadding it up. And I'm not sure about randomness being a word or not but I'm sure dadding isn't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Complete Randomness

Link Copied to Clipboard