TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ohio

Recreational marijuana enthusiasts get closer to legalizing weed in Ohio
By Morgan Trau, 1 day ago
News 5 Cleveland WEWS

Recreational marijuana advocates have started to collect signatures to put weed on the ballot this November.

The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Coalition is now collecting petition signatures from people like Sam from Cleveland to change state law.

"Yeah, I'm for it," she said. "I think people can be very functional on it."

It would legalize and regulate recreational weed to adults 21 years of age and older. Individual Ohioans would also be able to grow up to six plants, but up to 12 per household.

This proposal would also impose a 10% tax at the point of sale for each transaction, which activists say would raise $350 to $400 million in new tax revenue annually.

"Legalizing and regulating marijuana is good policy," said Tom Haren with the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Coalition. "It makes sure that marijuana stays out of the hands of kids, it increases tax revenue to states and it starts the process of eliminating the illicit market."

As expected, not everyone supports the proposal, like Lou Tobin with the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association.

"We're hopeful that the public will see it for what it is, which is something that's dangerous for the public, dangerous for drivers," Tobin said. "We feel like... it's not something that most people across the state of Ohio want."

People who support the proposal say Ohioans do want it, but there will be a challenge of showing support in time. The group only has two months to get 124,000 signatures from 44 of Ohio's 88 counties.

"Let me be clear: we are going to submit the required number of signatures by July 5 to get it on the ballot this November," Haren said.

Tobin, for his part, is encouraging voters to learn about the public safety aspect.

"I think we're just heading down a really dangerous road in terms of this laissez-faire attitude towards what's what's called Schedule I substance," the prosecutor added.

He also emphasized the workforce productivity factor, but Sam said that isn't and wouldn't be a problem.

"Do it in the evenings, weekends or when you're not working," Sam said. "Don't do it when you work."

In 2020, Cleveland eliminated penalties for possession of up to 200 grams of cannabis. News 5 continues to cover marijuana laws, convictions and expungements in Northeast Ohio.

The pro-marijuana groups are putting forward an initiated statute, which means it may not be permanent like constitutional amendments typically are. This is why the weed proposal needs significantly fewer signatures than the abortion initiative, which is a constitutional amendment.

Technically, if the marijuana petition makes the ballot and passes, the lawmakers could turn around and reverse it by putting forward a new law outlawing marijuana or changing its provisions.

Senate President Matt Huffman (R-Lima) is against recreational marijuana in Ohio.

"It won't pass," Huffman's spokesperson John Fortney told News 5.

When asked if Huffman would try to reverse it if it passes, the spokesperson said he couldn't speculate on that yet.

"Our members don't support recreational marijuana; it is a terrible policy," Fortney added.

However, bipartisan support for recreational weed is growing inside the Statehouse.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Legalize it... regulate it... tax it...

<><

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
And if it's legalized, and regulated, and taxed, you will see illegal pot sales increase. Nobody paying the taxes. haven't some of the states that legalized already seen this happen?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Marijuana use in the usa, really anywhere, should be Avoided at all costs.
It is federally illegal, and,
over the years, the anecdotal stories, of court cases, where the sometimes slightly biased, to say the least, justice system has used the proximity to, or use, or possession of marijuana to completely destroy human lives with punishment by the legal system,
are too numerous to count. There is no reason to allow that possibility.
therefore
what I said in line one.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
And if it's legalized, and regulated, and taxed, you will see illegal pot sales increase. Nobody paying the taxes. haven't some of the states that legalized already seen this happen?

I don't think there is any possible way to see illegal pot sales increase. Most people are more than happy to buy it legally when possible, many from the simple standpoint of knowing what they're getting, and knowing it is safe. And now, most of the illegal sales have been taxed -- they're secondary sales with a legal dispensary being the original source.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

I don't think there is any possible way to see illegal pot sales increase. Most people are more than happy to buy it legally when possible, many from the simple standpoint of knowing what they're getting, and knowing it is safe. And now, most of the illegal sales have been taxed -- they're secondary sales with a legal dispensary being the original source.

It's getting to the point where there's no savings to be had by buying illegally in Michigan. The cost of legal weed, which is very high quality, has really dropped from what I hear and read It's not going to be worth the risk to sell the illegal stuff. This article's from December, but I doubt if things have changed much. Some friends of mine up north said the prices are way down from what they were when it was first legalized.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...-is-a-big-problem-for-cannabis-companies

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I haven't seen the stats on illegal sales in states that have legalized marijuana use... but I do know that those states have had pretty good tax revenues from weed sales... Colorado was over $400m in 2021... Cali was over a trillion...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I will believe it when I see. This state and this country has been dragging this on to long. It is way, way, WAY past time for the federal government needs to remove this from the Schedule 1 drug list and to make marijuana legal.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Agreed.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
In Oregon there is no real illegal market. We voted in the legality for people to grow their own. A household can have four mature plants. With that there’s such a glut of cannabis that even retail outlets can be seen selling ounces for as low as $50 on special. Many of my friends that grow can’t even give away their surplus. Some compost multiple ounces of last years herb each fall when they harvest new.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent

It's getting to the point where there's no savings to be had by buying illegally in Michigan. The cost of legal weed, which is very high quality, has really dropped from what I hear and read It's not going to be worth the risk to sell the illegal stuff. This article's from December, but I doubt if things have changed much. Some friends of mine up north said the prices are way down from what they were when it was first legalized.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...-is-a-big-problem-for-cannabis-companies

Took the wife antique shopping a few weeks ago. I'm driving by a dispensary in shock, signs out front: "$80 Ounces". I blurt out "the last time I paid 80 dollars for an ounce was probably 1990".

Pop into a different one (there's two in a town the size of a shoe box) and they say they also have $80 ounces every Saturday but sell out quickly. They had a high quality Sativa for $100. Nobody would ever, ever buy on the street with prices like that at a Pot Shop.

Gummies are the real rage. Middle-aged moms around the world have learned they can pop one and sleep like a baby, wake up without a neckache, never even hear their husbands snore -- with no side effects. Go ahead and ask next time you're at a family picnic... the hands will slowly raise and smiles will creep across their faces.

Michigan has dirt-cheap prices... and the pricing tiers are built for secondary sales. Buy 2 ~ 10% off. 5=20% / 10=30% / 20=40%. Dealers don't even have to do the math. They had some on sale: $7 per bag / 10 gummies. "But these are double strength". So... (20) 10mg doses (I normally only take 5mg unless I'm in extreme pain) for $7.

35¢ per dose... Cheaper than my morning coffee, and I brew HQ at home.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Screw o-high-o.I make the 3hr. trip up to Michigan bi-monthly it has turned into a fun excursion with the woman,the dog and who ever else wants to go.Good prices and high end flower.8% sales tax and 8% marijuana tax.The parking lots are filled with Oh.plates and inside it's like old home week I run into the same people alot.Never seen so many people be so happy waiting in line

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Recreational marijuana enthusiasts get closer to legalizing weed in Ohio

Link Copied to Clipboard