Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2001226 01/23/23 05:45 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
As we all know, churches in America are in decline, for a large variety of reasons. Churches have grown older, have fallen away from the Gospel, and any number of other reasons.

Unfortunately, My church is not exempt from this decline. We are on a path that wil likely lead to closure, unless we have a miaculous turnaround in the next year or so. I don't pretend to know all, or even any, sure fire ways to avert this .... except the one that I have utter faith in, and that is prayer. So I ask those who pray to add an additional prayer for the Struthers church. Our congregation is very old, and we need to attract some younger people. For every "grey hair" who passes into eternity, we need anywhere from 7-12 new people just to replace them. (on a financial basis) The superintendent of our church proper says that any church not growing by 18% in new congregants will not be able to stand for long. I do have some ideas to try and reverse things, but sometimes our church members are not always cooperative, and as I said before, many are much older.

I would appreciate any and al prayers over the next year as we try to deal with this situation, and hopefully prevent yet another church from closing its doors forever.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
3 members like this: mac, Ballpeen, archbolddawg
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Prayers from the southern border.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Good, bad or indifferent, denominational churches are suffering the worst. Even my church, which is non denomination - has seen physical attendance decrease since the start of covid.

The mega churches appear, to me, to be doing fine. And yes, my son attends one in Columbus and I've been there as well.

Now, my/our church is doing fine financially so far. But attendance is down. We attribute that to having the service put on youtube. Shoot, I do that myself about once a month or so.

Legend
Legend
Prayers are on the way.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Prayers sent.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Prayers are sent and will continue. May you be blessed and guided.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
We can all see how important your faith and church are to you. I pray and hope that you stay open.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Prayers to you Ytown. No matter what denomination your faith is, or even those who are non-believers, I think "religion" generally tries to do good and share love to all mankind.

Good luck and God bless.

Legend
Legend
I'll offer this as food for thought...

My brother-in-law is our pastor. He was stuck in a cycle of non-growth (they come and go) for nearly ten years. His reasons were very different...

He was in rented space, rented for Sunday only. Church meant setting everything up as if we were moving in every Sunday... and tearing it all down afterwards. Any events were off-site. It was tough to attract older people because church just didn't seem like home in a community center. It was tough to attract families as they just never met critical mass with the amount of children in the congregation.

Less than ten miles away, there was a church very much like yours. Older people, shrinking by the year. Couldn't attract younger people, couldn't really grow. No kids; and if any family would stumble across the church on any given Sunday, it would likely be their last. Not because of the message, not because God wasn't there, simply because it wouldn't be a good home for their kids.

About the time they had decided to close, they talked about selling the facility. They were led to, instead, look for a church in need of a facility -- and give it away. They found my brother-in-law.

I'll never forget the first Sunday. All the new faces, as most of those remaining from the former church were there; still in their home. All of the faces from our church smiling from ear to ear, as they finally had a home. Over time, more of their congregation returned, more of ours did as well. 'Problems' became expanding the parking lot and finding helpers for the growing number of kids. The reason is simple; both congregations became reenergized and complimented each other. They knew different struggles but also knew the power to solve those struggles came in numbers and diversity.

Friendships were forged, people were proud to tell their friends about the place and invite them to service. It's now a beautiful blend of people; from babies, to teens, to families... to those coming in with walkers and canes. The former pastor still does service from time to time. He can get emotional when he talks about how 'retirement' became a rebirth. Everyone realizes what an incredible, unlikely, blessing it was -- once they decided to 'give away the church'.

Somewhere out there, probably not far, is a young church struggling to create a foundation. Maybe in a small space, maybe even rented; wondering how they will get from point A to point B. And probably lacking a lot of the wisdom that's waning at your church, as more and more get tired of struggling and decide to move on.

Hit me up if you have any questions or need any particular information. Giving away a church wasn't 'cut and dried' easy, but these guys have done it; and they'd be more than happy to help. I'll keep you and your church in my prayers, praying for the best outcome for all involved.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's sad to hear of your situation but it's becoming all too common. I hope your situation improves and you find a way to draw in some younger people to grow your congregation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Prayers from here Y-town.

Although I went to "Roman Catholic" schools for my first 12 years, I haven't been to "church" in years.

IHovever, I do pray every morning and night.

I''ll tighten up a few for you and your situation when I do.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's a tough go for smaller congregation's that might not have the backing of the larger church.

My prayers are with you and your church.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, today our District Superintendent showed up at our church and informed us that we are being closed.

We had a zoom meeting a week or so ago. They goe an hour to make their case to close, and we got 10 minutes to make our case to stay open. During our 10 minute allotment, t least for part of it, our DS had the zoom on mute. She didn't even bother to listen to us. They had to wave their hands to get her attention. Embarassing ... stupid .... and ridiculous.

Other churches that were closed could not make a case to stay oipen. We could, and did. We are a growing church. We are financially stable. Of course, with the way the UMC has chased so many churches away, and are proposing anti-Bihblical new practices, they are in dire need of a quick cash infusion, so they are closing all kinds of conservative, smaller churches.

As for my church, we have decided to make our own way. We will lose our building, but we will move on, and we will find a way to thrive. I have felt that this is God's will for a while now. Please pray for us. Our denomination has betrayed many churches. Please pray for them as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

3 members like this: FATE, EveDawg, archbolddawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
And then people wonder why I'm not a fan of organized Religion. I hope you and the members of your congregation find a new home in which to worship and find a way forward.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2012503 04/24/23 04:49 PM
Legend
Legend
I can’t see very many organized religions doing right by their congregations. Many run like big business and dig deep into pockets with little moral regard to parishioners. And tax free.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Unfortunately, the United Methodist Church holds the title to the properties of the local churches, despite the local churches having built and paid for those very properties.There have been several UMC churches in the Youngstown Ohio area that have been closed, and their property basically seized. (under the UMC agreement, though being used in a way that is not in accord with the intent, the conference holds the title to the individual churches)

Of course, the UMC is following other churches that have destroyed themselves by wanting to follow the world, instead of following the Bible. The Glocal Methodist Church is rising from the ashes of this desperate, failing church ... and I pray that we will as well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's the thing. Your church along with all the other UMC churches fully entered into an agreement that no matter who paid for these churches, UMC owns those churches. That isn't them seizing your church.

This is the same thing that happens very often. I understand about faith because I certainly share your faith in Jesus Christ. But you see, that's where I draw the line. Men and religions are not Jesus Christ. Because for some reason you have determined that what they did went against the intent of the Agreement. And I totally believe that's an honest breakdown of your thoughts on this matter.

But let me ask you, from the UMC side when speaking of intent, what other intent could UMC have to to write up agreements where individual churches that bought and paid for the very land these churches were built on put them in total control and ownership legally to do as they wish when they wish? Does it sound like their intent was anything other than to build their own wealth and power which you and the members of your church freely gave them?

I understand the sales pitch large religions present. That there's power in numbers and that belonging to a large, organized religion makes you better able to make your voice heard. That they have legal representation to fight any restrictions, limitations or perceived religious rights that you feel have violated your religious freedom. And on the surface that sounds all well and good.

But what in fact it accomplishes is that they have the power to dictate to you any and all changes in their teachings. That if you do not adopt those changes they have the power to not only ban you from being affiliated with them but gives them total control of the property if you do not comply.

I really feel bad for you and the members of your church. I certainly hope it doesn't turn people away.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The original intent was to keep churches in fellowship, and agreement with the founding principles of Methodism.

Instead it has now become a cash grab.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Where I feel you are confused is that you stated what the intent of your church was, not the intent of the UMC. The UMC has plainly shown you what their intent was.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My church's final worship will be on May 21. This would be a time of sorrow, except that we have been offered a very nice place to temporarily worship, and may have a permanent solution in the pipeline as well. We will all be withdrawing from the United Methodist Church, and starting over.

God is good!

2 members like this: FATE, EveDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We just received the final OK from another church to begin worship there on the 29th. They really want us to fill up their schedule, having said that they would like something going on every day at the church. We will be a kind of "church within a church", and that's just fine. laugh

7 members like this: Passionate Dawg, Clemdawg, PitDAWG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Prayers Please

Link Copied to Clipboard