Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Odd you say that. When the WORLD was suffering from covid, you know, the brand new virus, Trump was blamed for his handling of it. By the lefties, even though the scientists and doctors didn't know what to do.

Every nation was suffering - other than China, where it came from.

But now, inflation is not Biden's fault, "cause the rest of the world is suffering from it also". Can't make this crap up.

Just more liberal double standards. When something bad happens and a republican is president, it's 100% their fault. When a democrat is president, then suddenly the president has no control over anything.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Odd you say that. When the WORLD was suffering from covid, you know, the brand new virus, Trump was blamed for his handling of it. By the lefties, even though the scientists and doctors didn't know what to do.

But now, inflation is not Biden's fault, "cause the rest of the world is suffering from it also". Can't make this crap up.

Trump didn't create Covid - his handling of Covid was awful. You only have to look at how inconsistent it was, what he knew at the time he told the world it would disappear with the warm weather - or that maybe bleach was the answer. Trump's response to Covid was pitiful then and it is today.

Inflation is most definitely not Biden's fault. How his administration reacts to it is part of how he gets judged. My post was pretty tongue in check - sorry if that didn't come across.

Both Biden and Trump - when faced with a global issue that is being dealt with by (virtually) all other industrialized Nations will absolutely be judged in comparison to how the USA performs vs the RoTW. Just look at Obama and his spending initiatives to get the US out of recession after the financial collapse. Many didn't like it but it brought the USA out of recession 3 years early compared to many/most other first world countries.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
True, it’s on the current president what’s going on in the world. So let’s add it up. Trump killed millions by his piss poor handling of the pandemic. While the post pandemic inflation is all on Biden. Yep it's all equal. Lol

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
True, it’s on the current president what’s going on in the world. So let’s add it up. Trump killed millions by his piss poor handling of the pandemic. While the post pandemic inflation is all on Biden. Yep it's all equal. Lol

do you really think Biden is doing anything?

He's out there tripping and falling over everything.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Ok so there was a lot left for him to trip and fall over. Your point?

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Squires
Just more liberal double standards. When something bad happens and a republican is president, it's 100% their fault. When a democrat is president, then suddenly the president has no control over anything.

Is that what they call gaslighting? Or is that a strawman argument? Because no-one on this thread said that.... but there you go. You said it so it must be true.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

Is that what they call gaslighting? Or is that a strawman argument? Because no-one on this thread said that.... but there you go. You said it so it must be true.

Oh, pleeeease. That has been the message here since this place started. rofl I've never read a criticism of Biden from your clan. If he killed someone in the street, there would still be a "but Trump".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Payrolls rose 339,000 in May, much better than expected in resilient labor market

The U.S. economy continued to crank out jobs in May, with nonfarm payrolls surging more than expected despite multiple headwinds, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Payrolls in the public and private sector increased by 339,000 for the month, better than the 190,000 Dow Jones estimate and marking the 29th straight month of positive job growth.

The unemployment rate rose to 3.7% in May against the estimate for 3.5%, even though the labor force participation rate was unchanged. The jobless rate was the highest since October 2022, though still near the lowest since 1969.

Average hourly earnings, a key inflation indicator, rose 0.3% for the month, which was in line with expectations. On an annual basis, wages increased 4.3%, which was 0.1 percentage point below the estimate. The average workweek fell by 0.1 hour to 34.3 hours.

Markets reacted positively after the report, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average up more than 400 points in early trading. Treasury yields rose as well as markets digested both the strong jobs numbers and a debt deal in Congress.

“The U.S. labor market continues to demonstrate grit amid chaos – from inflation to high-profile layoffs and rising gas prices,” said Becky Frankiewicz, president and chief commercial officer of Manpower Group. “With 339,000 job openings, we’re still rewriting the rule book and the U.S. labor market continues to defy historical definitions.”

May’s hiring jump was almost exactly in line with the 12-month average of 341,000 in a job market that has held up remarkably well in an economy that has been slowing.

Professional and business services led job creation for the month with a net 64,000 new hires. Government helped boost the numbers with an addition of 56,000 jobs, while health care contributed 52,000.

Other notable gainers included leisure and hospitality (48,000), construction (25,000), and transportation and warehousing (24,000).

Despite the big jobs gain, the unemployment rate increased due in large part to a sharp decline of 369,000 in self-employment. That was part of an overall drop of 310,000 counted as employed in the household survey, which is used to calculate the unemployment rate and generally is considered more volatile than the survey of establishments used for the headline payrolls number.

“The upshot is that the only genuine sign of weakness in the report was the decline in average weekly hours worked to 34.3, from 34.4, which left them at the lowest level since the Covid nadir in April 2020,” wrote Paul Ashworth, chief North America economist for Capital Economics.

An alternative measure of unemployment that encompasses discouraged workers and those holding part-time jobs for economic reasons edged higher to 6.7%.

May’s jobs numbers come amid a challenging time for the economy, with many experts still expecting a recession later this year or early in 2024.

Recent data has shown that consumers continue to spend, though they are dipping into savings and increasingly using credit cards to pay for their purchases. A resilient labor market also has helped underpin spending, with job openings rising back above 10 million in April as employers still find it difficult to fill open positions.

One major potential headache appears to have been eliminated, as warring factions in Washington this week have reached a debt ceiling deal. The agreement is on its way to President Joe Biden’s desk for a signature following passage in the House and Senate this week.

There remain other issues ahead, though.

The Federal Reserve has raised benchmark interest rates 10 times since March 2022 in an effort to fight inflation that hasn’t gone away. In recent days, some policymakers have indicated a willingness to take a break in June from the succession of hikes as they look to see what impact the policy tightening is having on the economy.

However, odds for a June rate hike rose after the jobs report. Traders briefly priced in about a 38% chance of another quarter-point increase before the probability fell back to about 26%, according to CME Group data.

Other data points have shown that the manufacturing sector of the economy is in contraction, though the much larger services sector has held in expansion. The ISM manufacturing index released Thursday also showed that prices are pulling back, a positive sign for the Fed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/02/jobs-report-may-2023-.html

Now back to your regularly scheduled everything has gone to hell programming. The same thing we've been hearing about how the economy is collapsing for over a year now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Oh, pleeeease. That has been the message here since this place started. rofl I've never read a criticism of Biden from your clan. If he killed someone in the street, there would still be a "but Trump".

Wrong guy.....

Donald Trump: 'I Could ... Shoot Somebody, And I Wouldn't Lose Any Voters'

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

The trump brigade and their double standards.. LOL

Goper’s can’t say they had a great republican president that handed over a growing economy to a bumbling democrat fool that has filed multiple bankruptcies and ends his presidency basically causing the death of millions of people during the world’s worst pandemic while refusing to concede and fueling a violent insurrection on our nations capitol.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Ok so there was a lot left for him to trip and fall over. Your point?

This guy cannot continue to run our country.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The depths one is willing to sink to is on full display. It's either Biden or a man who tried to have our elections overturned and kill our election process. Stop acting like one choice is better than the other one. it's not. May god have mercy on our souls.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

So you want to argue a point that you think people made instead of what's actually written on this thread? You know - if a certain other poster with the initials P, I and T in their name made such a post, he'd be accused of so many things I can't count them all on two hands.

As for criticism of Biden - what did you want to discuss specifically. Because I think I recall a whole bunch of folks criticizing his administration for the way we exited Afghanistan. ** Edit and to add - the decision to leave was made by his predecessor, the actual handling of the process was Biden's administration and even if he took advise from the military leaders he stills owns what happened on his watch. I also think his administration was late to recognize inflation and kept down playing it when earlier action would have helped. He - Like Trump - also used/continued to use Covid to prop up border policy when I don't believe it was a good solution - just a convenient one. .... I'm sure there is more.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/02/23 12:22 PM.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
rofl Aweee... poor, poor Pit. Everybody always picking on him. Bunch of bullies!

I don't wish to discuss anything about Biden. I've retired from that carousel of "whatabouts" and "nuh-uhs". His record speaks for itself. thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
I just point out the stupidity. I've learned to accept it. Nothing anyone posts on here offends me. I could care less what you and your ilk think. "He fell down so he can't be president" is a pretty stupid thing to post. Sorry it bothers you when I make that clear. Of course you missed the part where I made it pretty clear that neither choice is a good one. I would expect no less so you didn't disappoint.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
None of anything I posted had to do with the poor sap falling and struggling with walking, so I'm not sure how it "bothered me".

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Then I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. But hey, you gotta GIF! rofl

You still never disappoint.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That's funny...lol

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
rofl Aweee... poor, poor Pit. Everybody always picking on him. Bunch of bullies!

I don't wish to discuss anything about Biden. I've retired from that carousel of "whatabouts" and "nuh-uhs". His record speaks for itself. thumbsup

Really. You might as well just laugh. It makes life better.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

No - it wasn't poor pit .... it was "Look in the mirror". But you know ...
rofl

O
Legend
Legend
O

WOW! I guess I don’t need to come here any more, y’all have it all figured out… smfh.

O
Legend
Legend
O
This guy cannot continue to run our country.

Lmao@U

Why? Because he made McCarthy look like a chump in the debt limit deal? Or because he seems to get everything he sets out to do done in this chaos created by the right? You don’t get to have an opinion on Biden. You can’t even condemn Trump for being an idiotic fascist crook. Start there, then we can talk. Until them, you’re just another GOPer with a sore ass from LOSING. Y’all do a lot of LOSING since Trump won office. A LOT.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

Not gaslighting, simply commenting on what I see. What I see is Biden getting a free pass for 2 and a half years. Liberals on this board rush to his defense or deflect when any criticism of Biden is brought up.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Oh gawd … the trump brigade in full force again. Lol

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O

Not gaslighting, simply commenting on what I see. What I see is Biden getting a free pass for 2 and a half years. Liberals on this board rush to his defense or deflect when any criticism of Biden is brought up.

BS! I’ve called out Biden on several occasions. And I’ll do it again, right here. Biden was a damn fool for letting McCarthy gain steam and bully him into a debt limit increase negotiation. You don’t negotiate with terrorists. And what GOPers have now done TWICE with the debt ceiling is nothing short of an act of domestic and international terrorism. They’ve caused markets to fall, worried our allies as well as the greater world with their nonsense. This was never traditionally done for a reason, and now they’ve done it twice in cutthroat moves to secure a meaningless win of what exactly? GOPers are better people when they keep their mouths shut and their heads down. Happier too, until a Rush or Tucker get’s in their heads with the propaganda lobotomy kit.

Biden should have known that they WERE NEVER going to cause a default. His only saving grace is that he gave them basically nothing and protected the programs and funding they wanted to destroy. Biden should have agreed to cut the Deficit and Budget 50 Billion, and then paid for it by defunding red states education funds, we shouldn’t have to pay for stupid results for our education dollars. Blue states should back this too, since they fund most of those educations. And I know they don’t like what red states are doing in schools. Ridiculousness and harmful hate… this is what they are teaching and want more of in schools. They like raising mouth breathers, school shooters, and lazy basement dwellers.

I say nope, defund that crap and send ‘em all back to their little houses on the prairie to be home schooled by grandpa daddy and momma sister. Then they won’t be exposed to trans pedos and libtards… smh. And they can talk about god and wholesomeness while sneaking their 12 year old into a blue state for a shameful secret but necessary abortion… Murica!

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/02/23 08:41 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Isn't it funny? When you post all of the things that trump has done they just ignore it like the plague and claim they are somehow better. I know just yesterday I myself said the only choices we had were between trump and Biden and neither one was good. I've said time and time again the only choice voters had was to try and choose between the lesser of two evils. But I guess they must have missed all of those posts. Selective reading?

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Our economy leads the world economy. What happens here spreads.
For business or for families.

I think we'll find that through it's history the USA economy has prospered at the expense of the American citizens.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know GOPers won’t watch it, but here are some real facts about our economy.

2 members like this: Ballpeen, mgh888
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I bought some frozen uncooked de-shelled large shrimp on sale today. 2 lb bag for 13 bucks. I thought that was pretty good.

I went to two restaurants this weekend for dinner. Both trendy, both usually packed. Both were pretty empty. Its cheaper to cook at home any more. Even with high grocery prices.

Restaurants gotta be struggling. High food prices. And customers staying home.

No doubt. We still go out, but not nearly as much. Especially the lower to mid rage places. We can do that at home for way less. We now pretty much only go to the higher end places, but not all that often. Maybe every 5-6 weeks.

Rather than spend $100 for 2 at a Longhorn or somewhere similar to get a meal I can cook at home, we just wait longer, go to a restaurant where we might drop $200-300, but have a memorable experience.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I bought some frozen uncooked de-shelled large shrimp on sale today. 2 lb bag for 13 bucks. I thought that was pretty good.

I went to two restaurants this weekend for dinner. Both trendy, both usually packed. Both were pretty empty. Its cheaper to cook at home any more. Even with high grocery prices.

Restaurants gotta be struggling. High food prices. And customers staying home.

No doubt. We still go out, but not nearly as much. Especially the lower to mid rage places. We can do that at home for way less. We now pretty much only go to the higher end places, but not all that often. Maybe every 5-6 weeks.

Rather than spend $100 for 2 at a Longhorn or somewhere similar to get a meal I can cook at home, we just wait longer, go to a restaurant where we might drop $200-300, but have a memorable experience.

That is exactly where I am right now. Rather spend $200+ for a great meal and cocktail plus service that makes me want to leave a hefty tip, than $125 for average across the board.

Legend
Legend
J/C

Believe me, the only restaurants really hurting still are the mom and pop family run businesses that survived the pandemic.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

Believe me, the only restaurants really hurting still are the mom and pop family run businesses that survived the pandemic.

Possibly so.

I was talking about dinner before. I still have my favorite mom and pop meat and three plate lunch spot where I still go for lunch a few days a week. Just like I can't replicate the top end restaurants total experience, I can't just whip up a plate of meat loaf, mashed taters, fried okra, and come collards, plus rolls or cornbread for $7.75.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
That was quite good - I've never seen Cohen before and he makes some good points. But he also does the thing that all partisan media does which is state a small fact and then blow it into a much bigger claim or spin it sideways. I know I'm not the target audience - I'd prefer just straight facts, to me that's more powerful.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I get you. I don’t like all that either. But he nails the facts on many talking points we see out of GOPer voters all over social sites, including DT. He just jerked the rug right out from under ‘the economy is better under Republicans’…

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think people say that.

Good news is good news. It's not like I am rooting against a bad economy. Who is? I might be retired and am on a limited income, be it pretty good compared to some, but limited none the less. I don't like to see it shrink. Who does?

My only negative take is it pretty hard for things to get lower. I am not complaining, but it is worrisome that many aren't going back to work.

Banks are in a bind because many use large building as collateral for loans. As both business and people use the work at home formula, banks are stuck with buildings half empty.

Something needs to be done about that.

I get the benefit for both business and the employee, but we can't allow the banking system to go under. Everything we have is based on that and we can't allow that to collapse, or we are all sunk.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
As both business and people use the work at home formula, banks are stuck with buildings half empty.

So maybe they could help the poor and homeless with truly affordable homes. Nah.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
As both business and people use the work at home formula, banks are stuck with buildings half empty.

So maybe they could help the homeless with homes. Nah.

You really are dim, aren't you.

Homeless don't pay rent. Let's just turn America in to Section 8 housing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I knew you’d lump in all homeless as useless humans and say something to that sort. So I revised my post to include the poor. dim? Lol the irony?

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Didn't you just lump them all together as deserving of a free house on someone else's dime?

Legend
Legend

So maybe they could help the poor and homeless with truly affordable homes. Nah.

Though not specifically addressing your point, I'm going to use this moment to share something really cool that's happening in my neighborhood. It's literally a 10-minute walk from my back porch, and I pass it every day on my way to work. An American story of people trying something new, with no guarantee of success... just the will to make something positive happen. Start small. Grow, if you can. Take a chance. Try something- anything... because the opposite of anything- is nothing.

I'm a fan of this idea. 100% all-in.
I took a side stroll up this street, on my way home from work. Until last year, it was a paved side street that bisected empty lots on both sides. For as long as I've lived at my current address, Bluff St. was a 2-block long 'thoroughfare to nowhere.'

This is what I found, not more than 3 days ago.

Introducing: Bluff Street Village

My workplace is in the heart of the city I've called my home for more than 30 years. When it was time to buy our home, She+Me moved from the suburbs, and invested in the neighborhood(s) that surround the city's cultural arts center (half the orch at any given time has lived in the Old West End/Whitney Hills enclaves). This housing initiative is totally in keeping with the culture that permeates these neighborhoods. It is now extending positive cultural influence into previously dead real estate. Ownership from nothingship. Here is a report from the early days.

I don't post in this forum as often as I once did. That is by choice.
But every once in awhile, I feel the need to drop something into the stew that lets Dawgs see that stuff really is happening.

Bluff Village was once an empty lot across the street from the Methodist church that acts as the cultural anchor for much of the neighborhood.
Now, that once-empty parcel of dead real estate is the site of 7 new homes, with small green yards, a driveway, potential property rights- and a step up into the American consumer class.
Those 7 houses are on one side of Bluff St. The opposite side of Bluff is to be developed next.

I read these PalPol threads regularly. A consistent theme pops up: "What are cities doing to fix their own problems?"
That question is usually asked by someone who doesn't live here. Because, if they did live here, they wouldn't have to ask. The stories are all around us- and they write themselves.

For those people who still need to ask, I offer this post (and links) as a partial answer.

My neighborhood is the s#.
And it's populated by good people of every race, creed and stripe.

You can see who we are by the things we do.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
4 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen, mgh888
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Economy/Inflation Threads

Link Copied to Clipboard