Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Any chance we bring back hunt?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Any chance we bring back hunt?

Very little, IMHO.

Maybe if we have injuries ..... but that's about it. I think we have moved on. He was in obvious decline last year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Running back is a position where there is ample supply.

Over the last 3 to 4 years, some group that has a lot of ability to put it into the media has repeated, and repeated, and droned into, and repeated again, and overly repeated the line that the Rb position has become easily replaceable and therefore devalued.

It gives me pause that they repeat it sooooo often, b/c if it were at all true, there would be no need to repeat it, or even focus on it, sooo often.

Therefore, I pretty much conclude, it must be wishful thinking but not entirely true, on someones part, some groups part,
maybe it's owners of teams, maybe it's people who sign paychecks who want to pay less to running backs.

Either way... overly repeating the line won't make it any more or less true when it comes to on the field, on gameday trying to actually win football games. And if they can't run the ball, >> well' pfft, we ALL know what happens.

But it's true.

No doubt you don't replace Chubb with a guy of equal ability. We are talking back-up. No doubt if you need to replace Chubb you probably have to make a fairly high draft selection...say 3rd round or better.

The last few years people were all excited about Hunt and his being about as good as Chubb. He we are near the opening of training camp and Hunt is still looking for a job.

That tells you something about the depth and availability of running backs. Good running backs are a dime a dozen. The really good backs aren't, but you don't have to have that. You just need good. Running plays aren't designed to gain 30 yards. You like it when it happens, but the play is designed to gain 4-5 yards.

When it is 3rd and 25, teams don't call a running play unless they have given up on the series. How long would it take for the fans and writers to get irritated if on 3rd and 20 Stefanski kept calling Chubb off tackle running plays?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Hunt not having a job is only slightly surprising. I would guess that he'll sign, but for the vet minimum during TC. Someone like Pittsburgh might want a 3rd down guy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Need to update your sign off blurb----Hunt are split in backfield.....ugh. NOPE.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NFL head coaches on shaky ground entering 2023 season: Eight hot-seat candidates to watch:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ason-eight-hot-seat-candidates-to-watch/

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
NFL head coaches on shaky ground entering 2023 season: Eight hot-seat candidates to watch:

Stefanski is 'barely' a .500 Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator...he is what his record says he is...26 wins and 24 losses in his 3 yrs with the Browns.

For this season, 2023.."the table is set" with ownership and management going all in to support Stefanski. There are no more excuses...just win!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac

Stefanski is 'barely' a .500 Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator...he is what his record says he is...26 wins and 24 losses in his 3 yrs with the Browns.

For this season, 2023.."the table is set" with ownership and management going all in to support Stefanski. There are no more excuses...just win!

We’ll see for sure if it was all Baker’s fault this year. Anything less than a deep playoff run is a fail. And if we don’t make the playoffs, heads should roll.

1 member likes this: lampdogg
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by mac

Anything less than a deep playoff run is a fail. And if we don’t make the playoffs, heads should roll.

"The team needed to gel with alll the newcomers and the new Defensive Coordinator" rofl

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The last few years people were all excited about Hunt and his being about as good as Chubb. He we are near the opening of training camp and Hunt is still looking for a job.

That tells you something about the depth and availability of running backs.

No, that tells me something about "Father Time".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Browns added a front office , guru? Grant Reiter from the Eagles today, supposedly a studier of how to maximize contracts and cap hit space. added a guy to the front office, with another title.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-add-former-eagles-front-office-member
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/15/23 11:18 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by mac

We’ll see for sure if it was all Baker’s fault this year. Anything less than a deep playoff run is a fail. And if we don’t make the playoffs, heads should roll.

I mostly agree. I don't know about the playoff part.

I wouldn't say we have to go deep in to the playoffs. If we come out and fall flat in the playoffs I might agree. Even making the playoffs might not be needed, but we would have to be one of the best records ever to not make the playoffs.

With the strength of the AFC across the top of the board I could see a 10 win, maybe even 11 win team not making it, losing it to tie-breakers. I am not sure that 10-11 wins will win every division.

No doubt it is a very important year for Stefanski, and the team in general. The opening games of this season might not win us the division, but if we come out and stink it up, it's pretty much curtains for this season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The new Cleveland Browns logo has a ridiculous number of hidden meanings:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cle...0.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

B
Legend
Legend
B
The new Cleveland Browns logo has a ridiculous number of hidden meanings:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cle...0.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

I saw that. I wouldn't categorize it as "ridiculous". The designer just wanted to include things Ohio and Cleveland. Rather clever IMO, but in the end I don't really care about the Dawg logo.

For me it is just kind of a "whatever".

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure about 'hidden meanings'...but given the emphasis on the number and size of spikes on the collar, the most menacing feature of the logo "is not the dog" ...but the collar.

I would like to see the eyes and ears accented with a bit of white, but other than that, it is a good drawing of the Bulldog's head.

jmho

Legend
Legend

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish

DePo sighting!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Andrew Berry is a smart man that knows what he's doing. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes but overall I believe we are fortunate to have him. JMO

5 members like this: guard dawg, Ballpeen, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Andrew Berry is a smart man that knows what he's doing. I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes but overall I believe we are fortunate to have him. JMO

First GM we've had who seems to have a plan, address specific needs, etc.
In other words, first GM we've had who is worth keeping.
Since 1999 (ouch).

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: GMdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Jimmy Haslam is.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll stick by my statement about Andrew Berry but I will also add that I believe Jimmy Haslam is a lot smarter than people will give him credit for. Nobody can deny he's trying to bring a winner here with the moves he's made. JH did make some mistakes at first but he was new to being an owner and mistakes will happen to anyone in any job when they're new. I'm sure Dee Haslam has some input too. She seems like an intelligent woman. For the first time since we've come back our ownership and FO is on the same page. I hope it amounts to a consistent winner and contender.

Legend
Legend
I believe Jimmy's wife is the smarter of the two.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
As Sherlock Holmes says "my dear Watson." AVP says our Watson looks ten times better than he did last year at this time.

Coach camp talk?

I don't know AVP is a pretty straight forward guy. I expect he is way better than last year at this time. It makes sense.

No pending suspension. More time with team and coaches. For sure more comfortable with the entirety of the Browns organization. Plus he has practiced more with the team.

Watching him throw is a pleasure even out of pads. He throws a beautiful ball. He is a stud athlete.

Of course it is all about real games. Then we will know. But I really do expect him to be the player he is capable of being. I see no reason why not.

Legend
Legend

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So PFF has three teams in the AFC North ranked in the Top 10.

4. Cincinnati
9. Cleveland
10. Baltimore

Yikes!

17. Pittsburgh

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Pickett is starting his second year so, I get that ranking. But I respect them and their defense.

I am surprised that Cleveland is ranked over Baltimore. I believe it is because of defensive questions.

I think DW not being considered as consequential by the talking heads is a mistake on their part.

He is a stud athlete in his prime. There is enough production at the NFL level that verifies what he can do.

I am not worried about him.

IMO to beat the Bengals it is more about the defense. The defense is what I need to see. Scoring I do not think will be a problem.

Legend
Legend

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
As Sherlock Holmes says "my dear Watson." AVP says our Watson looks ten times better than he did last year at this time.

Coach camp talk?

I don't know AVP is a pretty straight forward guy. I expect he is way better than last year at this time. It makes sense.

No pending suspension. More time with team and coaches. For sure more comfortable with the entirety of the Browns organization. Plus he has practiced more with the team.

Watching him throw is a pleasure even out of pads. He throws a beautiful ball. He is a stud athlete.

Of course it is all about real games. Then we will know. But I really do expect him to be the player he is capable of being. I see no reason why not.

I hope he is all of this and a bag of chips, for the price tag and issues, he damn sure ought to be. I’m still waiting to see it on the field before I buy in. Right now I’m not convinced.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Last edited by mac; 06/21/23 12:49 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He's still talking about practice. You know what they say about practice.......

Easy bone, it's just a joke. I actually think Allen Iverson was the original AI. And my meaning is I think anyone claiming he was intelligent, that claim would be artificial.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
So PFF has three teams in the AFC North ranked in the Top 10.

4. Cincinnati
9. Cleveland
10. Baltimore

Yikes!

17. Pittsburgh

That is why I keep saying some AFC team with 10-11 wins might not make the playoffs. Some team with a very good record won't win their division and might get jammed up by a tie breaker.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Qualified Passers.

There is this to bear in mind:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

Legend
Legend

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Yep, look at baseball- Guardians one game out with overall losing record- EVERY team in AL East has/had winning record---no make post-season. I think we win 11 games and make the post- time will tell.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I just watched Baldinger's Chubb breakdown.

https://www.brownsnation.com/nfl-analyst-breaks-down-the-power-of-nick-chubb/

It seems now we take Nick for granted. Or, there is the talk about we are paying him to much. Or, next year he has to go because he is getting old. Or, some combination of the two.

Screw that. Do you know what Nick Chubb means to the team? What defenses have to do because he is in the backfield?

We are going to throw because we have DW. We have added receivers to make the passing game go. I will say this.

Nick Chubb will help the passing game. Defenses can not drop into coverage or go to nickle and dime defense because of Chubb. They have to load the box because Chubb matters.

Chubb has been one of the best draft picks the Browns have made.

2 members like this: WooferDawg, DaveyD
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looking ahead at 3 potential 2024 cap casualties

Jacob Roach
June 21, 2023 8:27 am ET

In 2024, the Cleveland Browns will be nearly $60 million over the salary cap. That is before they factor in the rollover cap, which the Browns always do, and before any restructures that could take place. That likely means it will be time for general manager Andrew Berry to make some tough decisions on older players with large salary cap numbers like wide receiver Amari Cooper.

Fans likely won’t like some of the changes that could be on the way as fan-favorite players could be casualties to the NFL salary cap. All three of these players could agree to contract extensions or restructures to spread the money out and lower the cap hit but if that doesn’t happen they could be looking for new teams in 2024.

All cap figures and numbers in this article are provided by Over the Cap.

1. Amari Cooper, Wide Receiver

2024 Cap Number: $23.77 million
Dead Money if cut (Post June 1): $3.776 million
Cap Savings if cut (Post June 1): $20 million
Amari Cooper is among the best route runners in the NFL and is still a premium wideout. However, he will be 30 next season, and that is when players in the position start to decline. It would be great if the team and the player could find a medium on a possible extension to lower the cap number.

With very little dead money he seems headed towards being a cap casualty. The team has added a ton of talent to the wide receiver room and if the younger players play at a high level this season as I expect they will it will cement this cut as very likely.

2. Nick Chubb, Running back

2024 Cap Number: $16.2 million
Dead money if cut (Post June 1): $4 million
Cap savings if cut (Post June 1): $12.2 million
Nick Chubb is one of the best running backs in the NFL, some would say that he is the best. It would be really hard to watch him leave but that big of a cap number doesn’t make sense in the modern NFL. This is a passing league and when you look at recent Super Bowl winners it’s about passing offenses and elite quarterback play, not the running game and an elite running back.

You still need a running game to keep defenses honest but it no longer is a premium position that needs premium salaries. Could Chubb be the type of player that takes a pay cut to help the team win? Sure he absolutely could but if he doesn’t he likely is playing his last season in Cleveland.

3. Wyatt Teller, Guard

2024 Cap number: $9.326 million
Dead money if cut (Post June 1): $2.926 million
Cap savings if cut (Post June 1): $6.4 million
The team has a ton of money tied up in the offensive line and eventually, they will need to save some for other positions. Wyatt Teller could be the odd man out even though cutting Joel Bitonio would save the team more money than Teller.

However, it’s the strengths of the two players that make Teller more likely to be the one cut. This team is moving towards more of a pass-first offense and Teller is more of a bruising run-game blocker. The cap number isn’t huge but the team will need to look at ways to cut costs and this seems like a likely place to do that.

4. More ANALYSIS
Browns are actively spending the most money of any team in the NFL
ESPN projects the Browns will add one more defensive tackle this offseason
Browns' receiving corps ranked in the bottom ten by PFF

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...m_source=pushly&utm_campaign=3159151

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns are actively spending the most money of any team in the NFL

Cory Kinnan
June 22, 2023 9:13 am ET

The Cleveland Browns, while they are about middle of the road in cap space in 2023, are actively spending the most money in the NFL. Going back to the rollover cap, the Browns brought over a league-leading $27.5 million in funds not spent in 2022. This has allowed general manager Andrew Berry to have a bigger allowance to splurge on this offseason as the Browns push all of their chips into the center of the table.

Active spending is defined by how much a team is spending on items that count against the cap for players that are currently on the team. So, while the Browns are also paying out over $16 million in dead money this season, that number is not included in the active spending figure.

Here is how much every team is actively spending in 2023. All figures come from Over the Cap.

32. Los Angeles Rams
Active Spending: $139,183,357

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Active Spending: $149,849,876

30. Green Bay Packers
Active Spending: $152,222,058

29. Carolina Panthers
Active Spending: $159,186,094

28. Arizona Cardinals
Active Spending: $164,809,579

27. Philadelphia Eagles
Active Spending: $165,319,391

26 Minnesota Vikings
Active Spending: $166,501,830

25 Chicago Bears
Active Spending: $176,032,755

24. Houston Texans
Active Spending: $179,660,126

23. Indianapolis Colts
Active Spending: $183,071,049

22 New Orleans Saints
Active Spending: $184,532,221

21. Detroit Lions
Active Spending: $184,728,760

20. New England Patriots
Active Spending: $184,750,085

19. Tennessee Titans
Active Spending: $185,497,887

18. Dallas Cowboys
Active Spending: $194,182,594

17. Washington Commanders
Active Spending: $195,768,898

16. Seattle Seahawks
Active Spending: $196,194,013

15. New York Jets
Active Spending: $196,631,709

14. Pittsburgh Steelers
Active Spending: $199,390,037

13. Atlanta Falcons
Active Spending: $200,768,781

12. Las Vegas Raiders
Active Spending: $201,400,429

11. Baltimore Ravens
Active Spending: $202,063,722

10. New York Giants
Active Spending: $202,206,808

9. Miami Dolphins
Active Spending: $202,683,767

8. San Francisco 49ers
Active Spending: $208,865,448

7. Jacksonville Jaguars
Active Spending: $209,163,157

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Active Spending: $210,247,022

5. Los Angeles Chargers
Active Spending: $210,943,188

4. Kansas City Chiefs
Active Spending: $211,404,657

3. Denver Broncos
Active Spending: $213,533,159

2. Buffalo Bills
Active Spending: $216,272,979

1. Cleveland Browns
Active Spending: $217,794,517

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...m_source=pushly&utm_campaign=3166440

Legend
Legend
It matters.

Undefeated, dawgs! thumbsup brownie nanner

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes, Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard