Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
FrankZ #2011571 04/14/23 03:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Originally Posted by FrankZ
We've canceled DirecTV. Today might be the last day of service.

I have been peeking at the Youtube TV page to see if they have started sign ups but it isn't there yet. I am not really wild about the layout and guide for YTTV but it is what it is. I will likely have to pick up HBO MAX and a couple other things soon too. It will still be cheaper than our DirecTV bill. The offered to cut $80 off the cost if we stayed, I pointed out they could have just done that. "We aren't allowed to call you to offer the discount" they told me. I replied I never asked for a higher rate either and they seemed to be able to raise it.

FYI - I tried YT TV a couple years ago, back then at least you could reorganize the guide anyway you wanted. Which I did... Local channels at top, followed by the wife HGTV, Magnolia, etc, followed by sports channels I wanted, followed by remainders WTBS, TNT ETC.

It isn't just the guide. It all feels awkward to me, I will get used to it but you would think Google could hire some people to make it work better. I suppose it feels like someone used the Youtube interface for this and just wedged in different content.

I am signed up for the ticket though.... is it football season yet?

They're all awkward and wonky. Seems like everything is so damned counter-intuitive and nobody really cares. Can't count the times I've fished around a home screen forever... before going to the search menu to find something I was just watching. It's aggravating.

With YTTV, you have to re-order the channel guide endlessly. Every time there is any change in the lineup it seems like YT puts the channels back in a blender and just pours them back onto your screen.

I wouldn't doubt it's intentional. Just like the endless game of hide-and-seek with all the products at Wal-Mart; they figure the more you wander around, the greater chance of an ancillary purchase.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2011576 04/14/23 03:41 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
They're all awkward and wonky. Seems like everything is so damned counter-intuitive and nobody really cares. Can't count the times I've fished around a home screen forever... before going to the search menu to find something I was just watching. It's aggravating.

With YTTV, you have to re-order the channel guide endlessly. Every time there is any change in the lineup it seems like YT puts the channels back in a blender and just pours them back onto your screen.

I wouldn't doubt it's intentional. Just like the endless game of hide-and-seek with all the products at Wal-Mart; they figure the more you wander around, the greater chance of an ancillary purchase.

I did remind my sweetie that if she sees the $ symbol that means it costs money. It will take some time to get used to it but we'll get there. It does seem to remember the shows we watched so those percolate up to the top.

I hate when we are watching something "DVR" and it hits the end I can't just stop playback, it wants to play behind the menu. We typically try to not watch the "next time on" stuff.

FrankZ #2011593 04/14/23 04:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, the playing behind the menu is annoying. So is the fact that (starting with Netflix, now ubiquitous) an audible trailer starts for everything you are hovering on. I don't need my senses assaulted while I'm surfing for something to watch -- if I want a trailer, I'll click for one. I've trained myself to hit 'mute' while I surf.

YTTV is pretty easy to get back to what you want, I actually think it's the best UI. Netflix and Prime have been bad lately in terms of getting back to shows. The "recently watched" row on Netflix can show up anywhere from the top to right under "Korean Horror" it seems.

The worst is forgetting the title of what you were watching with the formats that are intent that you're constantly wandering a labyrinth. You find yourself on google asking "what is that show on Netflix about the cute animals?" At which point google brings up ads for organic dog food.

FATE #2011595 04/14/23 04:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At which point google brings up ads for organic dog food.

Then you sit there watching puppy commericals don't you?

FrankZ #2011602 04/14/23 06:01 PM
Legend
Legend
At that point, why not?

bonefish #2011616 04/15/23 12:16 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This will definitely be interesting.
The past x amount of years I’ve bought the Ticket on eBay for around 30-50 dollars. I would just stream it off the app. It was nice, I could split the games on my tv and watch multiple. When I was in DC, it wasn’t a big deal because I could watch them on local tv or use ST app.

In Hawaii, the chances of them being on local is almost 0. I really don’t care to get YT, because Spectrum is included in my HOA. I also barely watch tv, so that wouldn’t be worth it.

Not that I have much of a choice, but I’ll just wait and see how this all plays out.

bonefish #2011640 04/15/23 10:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mayhap i will have a viewing party!

As an extra, I did not get red zone. Never watched it so I thought the added cost wouldn't be worth it.

FrankZ #2011653 04/15/23 11:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Do something to slow down your connection so you're not two plays ahead in the game chat!

FATE #2011654 04/15/23 11:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Do something to slow down your connection so you're not two plays ahead in the game chat!

I did wonder how that is gonna be affected with the new service. For the most part DirecTV was on point with that.

bonefish #2011755 04/17/23 08:35 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Does YouTube carry the Big 10 Network? I think Fate answered this before, but I'm not sure.

Like many of you, I'm not happy w/this marriage of the NFL and YouTube. I was really hoping that Amazon --or even Apple--would get the contract. Watching the Thursday night games on Amazon is a breeze.

I watch a show or two on Amazon and Netflix and a few movies, but I don't watch any other TV that aren't sports. I don't watch the News, sitcoms, game shows, Reality shows, etc, etc. And I mean......NEVER!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm so happy it wasn't Apple. Ugh.

FrankZ #2011782 04/17/23 10:27 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Apple would charge 349 for the package, and then create a proprietary stream box that you had to buy for 199, and then you need a special HDMI cable for 29.99, and of course if you want a power adapter for that stream box, another 19.99. smile

And then next year they will change all the connectors. wink

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: FATE
FloridaFan #2011783 04/17/23 10:29 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Apple would charge 349 for the package, and then create a proprietary stream box that you had to buy for 199, and then you need a special HDMI cable for 29.99, and of course if you want a power adapter for that stream box, another 19.99. smile

And then next year they will change all the connectors. wink

I have to say this made me laugh. Thanks for that.

bonefish #2011820 04/17/23 01:14 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I think I’m going to call Direct Tv and threaten to cancel. If they lower my bill significantly enough to offset the cost of a YoutubeTV subscription I’ll keep it. YouTube is not really how I want to watch tv in my day to day. A big part of the reason is I don’t have a smart TV. It’s an older Sony Bravia 55”. It works fine. I’m not replacing it. So when I want to use YouTube or other such streams I either use my iPad with a direct HDMI to the tv, or my Blu-ray player which is already connected. But it’s also older and at times is a little slow to do its job. I’m not replacing it either… until it dies. Either way, I don’t want to deal with that just to watch the news or whatever. So if I can keep my Direct TV it’d be easiest.

I hate how modern tech moves so fast that perfectly good electronics, such as my TV, get rendered obsolete well before they run out their lifespan. I don’t buy into the consumer culture. I loathe planned obsolescence. There’s a reason why my 401k looks different than many of my peers. They have a new phone every year, a new fancy tv every time something new comes about (curved screens, etc)… I’m like my old man. Buy quality. Use it till it dies. Do it again. I still use my iPod nano in my car. The battery can’t hold a charge over night, but as long as it’s plugged in to my car’s port, it works fine to play my podcasts all day… which I download off my ancient MacBook Pro.

Now, can someone come program my VCR clock for me? wink

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
When considering YTTV all you need is a $30 Roku and your Sony is good to go.

I've used Roku for over 15 years. Used in my restaurant, my bar, my home,,, and never, ever had a problem with a freestanding unit. In fact, last year they sent me an email telling me one of my units (bedroom, older TV) would soon be obsolete... they offered their $40 unit for 10 bucks shipped. The old one still worked great with a mfg date of 2008.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Like Fate said, get a Roku, or Firestick. They are cheap, and they tend to be quicker and better responding than most smart TVs.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
bonefish #2011839 04/17/23 03:43 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Thanks. That actually sounds like a good plan.
I had a Roku a bunch of years back. Never seemed to work right. Maybe it’ll be better this time around.

[Linked Image]
bonefish #2011854 04/17/23 04:56 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have a Roku for the downstairs TV specially for HBOMAX (soon to be MAX). The LG WebOS supports HBOMAX in the newer models but not the 2016. Oh well, it was $30ish for the 4K Express model and that supports the Harmony remote.

Don't get me started on LogiTech and deprecating the Harmony.

FloridaFan #2011881 04/17/23 09:37 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Apple has a MLB contract for games on Friday nights. However the local games are carried (Bally's Sports South) they lose broadcast rights for those games.
I wanted to watch the Braves vs Padres. It was Apple's Friday game. They had a free trial for 7 days or something. I have no Apple devices. So I signed up for the trial through the tv remote settings.

Got the game on. The sound worked. The picture was blurred colors where you got total red figures with an outline. Worthless.

So, I tried to cancel. I could not because I could not download Apply tunes. Could not create a profile without an Apple device. I had to call an Apple store to get them to cancel the trial.

So my Apple experience was a royal turn off.

bonefish #2012154 04/21/23 11:35 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I got a Roku yesterday. Seems to be working well.
Next move is to call Direct TV after work and threaten to cancel to see if they’ll drop my bill significantly enough to warrant keeping it. Hopefully it’ll be enough to completely offset the cost of a YTTV subscription.
Wish me luck.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
bonefish #2012164 04/21/23 12:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Just checking in to see this. I’m not loving having to do the whole YouTube thing, but I guess Ill probably end up shelling out the 250 for whatever

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I got a Roku yesterday. Seems to be working well.
Next move is to call Direct TV after work and threaten to cancel to see if they’ll drop my bill significantly enough to warrant keeping it. Hopefully it’ll be enough to completely offset the cost of a YTTV subscription.
Wish me luck.

They will drop it in a heart beat. You will need to keep an eye on the creep though, it will go back up. And you don't even need to call them to do that for you.

FrankZ #2012179 04/21/23 12:45 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
The only way you can avoid tht is get them to agree that the price you negotiate will be in place for a year. And even then be watching your calendar.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2016983 05/29/23 10:29 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw an announcement that DirecTV isn't completely out of this. They will deliver games for a third party to bars and restaurants. It makes sense since streaming 10 games will consume a lot of bandwidth and businesses typically pay more for less.

FrankZ #2017028 05/29/23 09:44 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I guess I never came back here to update.

I called Direct TV. They lowered my bill almost enough to completely offset the cost of YouTubeTV. So at the end of the season I’ll cancel that and save $60 each month during the off-season. I also got in on the $249 Season Ticket. That saved me money over last year’s costs too. Worked out well.
So far I kinda hate YouTubeTV. The interface sucks. The guide is slow to move through. I’ve also accidentally hit the ‘back’ button on my Roku remote. Which takes you completely away from YouTubeTV. Forcing you to start all over to get the app open again. Do that at the wrong part of a game and you’ll potentially miss important plays while getting back on. I’m also wondering how much buffering will occur when switching between games. Etc.

As to the future. I’ll deal with next season next season. I know I’m covered for 2023.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
No sense worrying about next year, this year. Especially over something fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

As long as I keep paying for season tickets, I won't be getting YTTV since I go to 5-6-7 games a year. That makes paying for the TV a little overpriced for as much as i would watch. Not to mention the game or 3 that would be on a local type channel anyway. It's getting to the point where I might drop the season tickets. The travel isn't as easy as it once was. I can always go back to stub hubbing my way up to watch 2-3 games a season. In the mean time I will continue to go to the bar to watch. I assume one will still be able to do that.

It will be interesting to see what the reviews on here are once the season starts.

On a side note: It's mind-numbing how complicated watching TV has become. You have to have this or that service, this or that device, etc.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I guess I never came back here to update.

I called Direct TV. They lowered my bill almost enough to completely offset the cost of YouTubeTV. So at the end of the season I’ll cancel that and save $60 each month during the off-season. I also got in on the $249 Season Ticket. That saved me money over last year’s costs too. Worked out well.
So far I kinda hate YouTubeTV. The interface sucks. The guide is slow to move through. I’ve also accidentally hit the ‘back’ button on my Roku remote. Which takes you completely away from YouTubeTV. Forcing you to start all over to get the app open again. Do that at the wrong part of a game and you’ll potentially miss important plays while getting back on. I’m also wondering how much buffering will occur when switching between games. Etc.

As to the future. I’ll deal with next season next season. I know I’m covered for 2023.

I'm not thrilled with the Youtube TV interface either. I did find some things on the yttv tricks and tips videos online, but I don't remember which ones were most helpful.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Does YouTube carry the Big 10 Network? I think Fate answered this before, but I'm not sure.

Like many of you, I'm not happy w/this marriage of the NFL and YouTube. I was really hoping that Amazon --or even Apple--would get the contract. Watching the Thursday night games on Amazon is a breeze.

I watch a show or two on Amazon and Netflix and a few movies, but I don't watch any other TV that aren't sports. I don't watch the News, sitcoms, game shows, Reality shows, etc, etc. And I mean......NEVER!

I didn't see that anyone answered so in case they haven't I have Youtube TV and yes, it has Big Ten network, at least in SW Ohio so I assume it is available everywhere. I do know if "follows" me when I take my laptop along when staying in hotels out of state. It does change my local network channels, but all others follow, and I can also watch what I have recorded.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I ended up forking over $349 yesterday.

Youtube NFL package without subscription. I am keeping directv. I need it to watch the Braves. I got them down some. I am going to cancel HBO after "Curb" season is over. This is the end of "Curb."

"Curb" is the funniest show I have ever watched on tv. Larry David is a trip. I love his humor.

bonefish #2017554 06/05/23 06:32 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Sometimes I just miss the simplicity of going to local Browns backer bar and watching it on the 10 ft satellite dish. Too much ancillary crap with TV packages and streaming services.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Living near Atlanta it has been a ride trying to watch Browns games.

Back in 80's my close friend and I use to check what were the local stations broadcasting. Once in awhile it would be the Browns. Most of the time we would call hotels in Rome or places outside Atl. to see what games would be broadcast and get rooms if our game was on.

Then came sports bars who got early satellite systems. Later some of the bars turned into Browns bars or other team bars. That was fun. Back in the Tim Couch/ Kelly Holcomb era.

Once directv got the package we shifted to that.

Now it is turning into a rip off. I wish there was just local tv, NFL Network, ESPN, and you could buy just Browns games. But of course that will not happen.

Now it is Pay up and Shut up.

bonefish #2017570 06/06/23 10:42 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
How is it any more of a rip off now than when DirecTV had it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2017642 06/06/23 08:52 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
The thing about NFL Sunday ticket that never seemed fair, if you paid for it, they still blacked it out in your viewing area if not a sellout. I just paid a few hundred dollars but can't watch because not enough tickets were sold?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
The thing about NFL Sunday ticket that never seemed fair, if you paid for it, they still blacked it out in your viewing area if not a sellout. I just paid a few hundred dollars but can't watch because not enough tickets were sold?

You can always buy a ticket and go to the game.

No doubt that blackout rules still apply.

That was my only real beef with Art Model. Browns home games were never broadcast locally. No matter how many tickets were sold, the guy always managed to set up several hundred folding chairs or fence off various areas of the stadium for standing room only just before the sellout window to keep the games off air locally.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL Package

Link Copied to Clipboard