Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Every single bit of this.

And he seems like a great guy on top of it all.

I will be sad the day Nick Chubb is no longer a Brown.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's a numbers game Bone. Fans see it as a sport while in fact is a corporation. Chubb is a great player and by all accounts a great human being. How could fans not fall in love with the guy? Why wouldn't any fan want chubb to stay on the team? If the passing game works out as well as the Browns hope it will, they aren't going to pay Chubb that big money next year. There will either be a major restructure of his contract or he will be moving on.

Dalvin Cook was cut with a cap hit saving of less than what the Browns would gain if they let Chubb go next year. I don't think it has anything to do with Chubbs age, his talent or anything else. I think it's the simple fact that teams who have a great passing game, whose opponents can't afford to stack the box, have great success running far cheaper and less experienced RB's. Look around the league. It's not about Chubb. It's a matter of economics.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If the passing game works out as well as the Browns hope it will,

When was the last time the Browns passing game worked out as well as the Browns owners and management planned or hoped it would?

Play action does seem to work the best for the Browns offense.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
The Browns have never had a QB with the previous success in the passing game as watson has. We both know that. They have also invested in the WR position. We both know that too. That's no guarantee that it will be successful but trying to compare it to past efforts is disingenuous at best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If the Browns ever hope to get the most out of Watson and the passing game, they damn well better have a top notch running game...as in a play action running game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The NFL has shown that actually works in reverse. A great passing game, especially with a mobile QB like watson, makes it much easier to have a well producing running game with a RB of lesser experience and skills.

The Chiefs, while they don't run a lot, averaged 4.7 ypc in 2022 with 18 rushing TD's. Clyde Edwards-Helaire will have a cap hit of 3.44 mil. in 2023. Jerick McKinnon will have a cap hit of $1,092,500 and Pacheco will have a cap hit of $889,777 in 2023.

The Browns by contrast had 115 more rushing attempts than the Chiefs and managed only one more rushing TD than the Chiefs with the exact same average per carry at 4.7 ypc. Chubb's cap hit alone will be about 4 times what the Chiefs entire RB roster will cost them.

The NFL doesn't stay stagnant. Things change. With a great passing game the NFL has learned that you no longer need a premiere RB to have a very good running game.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I hope they don't read their own press and believe it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We've run into that problem before. It's up to the coaching staff to stay on the players to avoid complacency.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
With a great passing game the NFL has learned that you no longer need a premiere RB to have a very good running game.

Concerning the Cleveland Browns, do they have " great passing game" ..?

Answering the question above...The answer is "NO", the Browns do not have a great passing game..!

The Browns "HOPE TO have a great passing game "...but the Browns passing game was/is "below average, ranking #22 last season".

The Browns have the #6 rushing game in the NFL and if the Browns OC/HC Stefanski doesn't know how to use his rushing game, don't blame the RBs.

Nick Chubb is a Cleveland Brown, like it or not !

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I wonder what Drew Rosenhaus has cooking in Cleveland that brought him to town this weekend?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
Concerning the Cleveland Browns, do they have " great passing game" ..?

Answering the question above...The answer is "NO", the Browns do not have a great passing game..!

Nobody was talking about "as of now". If you would bother to actually ready my posts, I have talked about Chubb's cap hit "next season". We will know after this coming season whether the Browns have a great passing game or not. Chubb will be here this year until we find out. Future options will be based on what happens this season.

But then I think you knew all of this when you made that post.

And BTW- Chubb staying a Browns has nothing to do with whether "I like it or not". I would love nothing more than for Chubb to retire as a Brown after spending his entire career here. But my desire for a player to stay here has nothing to do with the fact this FO has made the decision to move on to a pass heavy offense. My wants and desires have nothing to do with anything. The current way heavy passing offenses have started devaluing their investments in the running game are simply the reality whether I like it or not.

I'm trying to deal with the reality and not some fantasy here.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
No crying that the sky is falling or crying wolf.
The salary cap won't cause the Browns to waive Chubb without Jimmy Haslam signing off on it, and in that case, I don't think it's likely.
Next year, this year, or another year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I wonder what Drew Rosenhaus has cooking in Cleveland that brought him to town this weekend?

Shane Bieber was on the mound and Drew Rosenhaus is his agent.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
No crying that the sky is falling or crying wolf.
The salary cap won't cause the Browns to waive Chubb without Jimmy Haslam signing off on it, and in that case, I don't think it's likely.
Next year, this year, or another year.

It's about how the NFL is now being structured. It's not about anything else. If the Browns become a great passing team in 2023 the likelihood they will commit 16.2 million dollars in cap space to a RB in 2024 is at the least unlikely and certainly not a plausible scenario. Call that what you will. Could his contract be restructured? Yes, that's certainly a possibility. But anyone who actually believes the Browns will take a cap hit of 16.2 million for a RB if watson pans out the way everyone hopes he will are only fooling themselves.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Do you think the Browns are better than the eleventh best team in the AFC? Will they end up better than eleventh in the afc by the end of the season?

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/24/23 01:12 PM. Reason: they, not the

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Taking a wild guess with no performance to base that on is a fools errand. What they do in 2024 will be based on the evidence the 2023 season provides them with.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Shane Bieber was on the mound and Drew Rosenhaus is his agent.

I guess I'm not sure I buy the idea Rosenhaus is in town just to watch a game w/o any business involved (not saying you are). I thought it might have been Browns related, but it could be Bieber's future with the team as well as anyone who has followed the Guardians know what is most likely inevitable with Bieber.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree. Did not mean to imply Rosenhaus and fam were in town strictly to watch Bieber pitch. I think the business side is Bieber related given the trade rumors.

Probably took the family on the Good Time III as well, to which I can only assume the family is now begging him to relocate here and out of Miami Beach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He may have gone to Newsome's charity softball game simply to support his client as well?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I was interested to see Deaton play. Guess we will have to see if he gets picked up

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Pdawg
I was interested to see Deaton play. Guess we will have to see if he gets picked up

I would have rather have waived Nick Harris, but I guess the team thought Deaton really sucked since we know that Harris sucks.

With Pocic and the drafted Wypler we seem pretty locked in at center. Not sure who is going to fill the jack of all trades on the interior.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure who is going to fill the jack of all trades on the interior.

The individual holding down that position for the Browns last season is now a starter for the Cardinals after the Browns brain trust allowed him to leave Cleveland without a contract offer. ...tackles are tackles according to the Browns GM.

What could go wrong for the Browns thanks to "guardrails" ?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Harris sucked?

I didn't think he played enough (at the center position) to make a call either way.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think what people seem to be overlooking is the injury designation. As of now it seems he wouldn't even have been able to compete in training camp.........

Browns waive 2022 NFL draft seventh rounder with an injury designation

The Cleveland Browns have made a roster move to make room for the newest cornerback to their roster in Thakarius Keyes. Waived with an injury designation, 2022 NFL draft seventh round pick Dawson Deaton will now look for a new home.

Deaton missed all of last season after tearing his ACL in the preseason. Facing an uphill climb to make the roster this summer anyway, it seems as though Deaton’s recovery has put a damper on his ability to even compete in training camp.

The Browns still sit with Ethan Pocic, Nick Harris, and Luke Wypler as the remaining centers on their roster.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/06/browns-waive-dawson-deaton/

Under these circumstances it made perfect sense.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
T
Legend
Legend
T
There is last year, with the coaching and kicking and much of the offense, and even much of the defense, to base that on.
It is not a wild guess, Kevin Stefanski's Past performances as coach, are there for review.

Other teams' performances are there too.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

The individual holding down that position for the Browns last season is now a starter for the Cardinals after the Browns brain trust allowed him to leave Cleveland without a contract offer. ...tackles are tackles according to the Browns GM.

Who? The Swede, or Dane, or whatever he was? That has nothing to do with guardrails. He fit well within the guardrails.

I agree, I would rather have him over Nick Harris, but Nick is a center, a position the Swede didn't play very well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

Who? The Swede, or Dane, or whatever he was? That has nothing to do with guardrails. He fit well within the guardrails.

I agree, I would rather have him over Nick Harris, but Nick is a center, a position the Swede didn't play very well.

"Don't pay for depth", especially if it's a position you (Depodesta) know nothing about, such as the offensive line.

Anyone can play OLine, right..?

The 2023 Browns are so loaded with backup talent for their OLine, they can allow "starting caliber talent" to walk out the door and start for another NFL franchise...even if that player was the #1 backup at OG and Center for the 2022 Browns.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Eventually someone else will play backup O Guard for the Browns.
Backup guard on a missed 26 yard FG or a low percentage pass to the corner of the End zone from the 2 yd line, that = always incomplete,
or Backup Guard when they go for it on 4th down in the red zone when they really end up needing that field goal.

Hijaldte Froholdt being gone, won't lose you anywhere near as many games as Kevin and Analytics just continuing the course will lose.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Football Has Found Its New Bogeyman

An analytics revolution has made the sport even more entertaining. So why are some fans and commentators against it?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2022/11/sports-analytics-nfl-football/672275/

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Presented by Dude Wipes? How many think JW had a hand in this and how many jokes can he had here?

FFS

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh dear Lord.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Presented by Dude Wipes? How many think JW had a hand in this and how many jokes can he had here?

FFS

And it begins.....

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
I'm OK with them a few times a year like that. They aren't bad at all

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P

Haslams vow to ‘absolutely never’ change Cleveland Browns’ helmet despite new uniforms coming in 2020

Cleveland Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam know that while the fans want new uniforms, they want the helmet to stay the same.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports.../95-f4a1dfeb-495f-4639-800a-8f27c624d5b7

Same as it ever was.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
When I saw the Browns video they tweeted out yesterday teasing the white helmets and how cringeworthy it was….I knew at that very moment JDubs had struck again!

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Embarrassing.

The lack of awareness by this marketing team is astounding.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey, at least those three games aren't being sponsored by Bud Light. Am I right? I mean that would be totally missing your target audience! naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes, Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard