Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
bonefish #2020790 07/23/23 10:37 AM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by bonefish

The Browns will have to prove that their defense can stop teams.

This.

DW can be good, great or phenomenal, but the above sentence says it all. Imo.

bonefish #2020791 07/23/23 10:42 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
It is still a team game.

There is offense, defense, and special teams.

Yet it seems very few posters claimed that the Browns could go all the way without an elite QB. As a matter of fact most of them stated that was the only obstacle standing in the way of it. The Browns must have agreed since they spent a huge percentage of their salary in what "they hope" will be an elite QB. Opinions change like the direction of the wind around here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2020794 07/23/23 11:01 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
There is no rule against giving Dorian Thompson Robertson one offensive series in every game, to help his development.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #2020799 07/23/23 11:27 AM
Legend
Legend
if he is seeing significant time like that it can only mean that our season went south

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
PitDAWG #2020802 07/23/23 11:29 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
It is still a team game.

53 players. You need good play from your qb there is no dispute.

But you will not achieve much with that alone.

bonefish #2020804 07/23/23 11:30 AM
Legend
Legend
there is no question that we need our defense to be much better obviously. I'm still worried about us up the middle there

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #2020805 07/23/23 11:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
I forsee a future in football where every player plays, like the 4 lines in Hockey, in many ways it already exists now except for at @uarterback, or starting" @uarterback..
If you draft a player like DTR ,I think you have to let him play, especially if it turns out he plays better than Watson.
eventually.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawgs4Life #2020806 07/23/23 11:46 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
there is no question that we need our defense to be much better obviously. I'm still worried about us up the middle there
In the nfl..... the defense can never get good enough, better enough if your own offense keeps giving it back to their offense, again and again and again, without doing anything with your own offense.

the rules of the game are not set up that way, not set up for 0 to 0 outcomes and the Browns prove it often with their own offenses' inept performances.

There was a raider game where the Browns intercepted a pass with under 2 min to go and the lead,
and the Browns still lost b/c the Browns offense is a tire fire in those situations, whether it's the coaches, not able to change their thinking back to offense, or player execution of plays.

bonefish #2020807 07/23/23 11:48 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let's visit an example of that shall we? I'll use last year as the latest example. Now everyone questioned the D and actually called for Woods to be fired which is exactly what was done. But even with Woods as the DC let's look at how close many of those games were.

The Browns lost to the Jets by one point.

They lost to the Falcons by three points.

They lost to the Chargers by two points.

They lost to the Ravens by three points.

That's a total of four games lost by three points or less. The Browns had a 7-10 record all while having a backup QB starting and playing eleven of those games. Are you trying to say that a 230 million dollar QB with upgrades at the WR position shouldn't make at least a three to four point point difference in the total points your team scores per game over a season where your backup QB started eleven of those games? Given wins in those four games the Browns record would have been 11-6.

If watson can't put four more points per game on the scoreboard it will have been a huge waste of 230 million dollars and money and a second round draft pick upgrading the WR position.

Keep in mind the NFL is a corporation. In a corporation those spending the money expect a return on their investment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020810 07/23/23 01:20 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Let's visit an example of that shall we? I'll use last year as the latest example. Now everyone questioned the D and actually called for Woods to be fired which is exactly what was done. But even with Woods as the DC let's look at how close many of those games were.

The Browns lost to the Jets by one point.

They lost to the Falcons by three points.

They lost to the Chargers by two points.

They lost to the Ravens by three points.

That's a total of four games lost by three points or less. The Browns had a 7-10 record all while having a backup QB starting and playing eleven of those games. Are you trying to say that a 230 million dollar QB with upgrades at the WR position shouldn't make at least a three to four point point difference in the total points your team scores per game over a season where your backup QB started eleven of those games? Given wins in those four games the Browns record would have been 11-6.

If watson can't put four more points per game on the scoreboard it will have been a huge waste of 230 million dollars and money and a second round draft pick upgrading the WR position.

Keep in mind the NFL is a corporation. In a corporation those spending the money expect a return on their investment.

If the defense can stop teams from scoring one field goal...the Browns might have won 3 of the games you noted.

It takes a team to win a game...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2020813 07/23/23 01:40 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet if the O had scored only a few more points in those games last year the Browns would have won them all. You know what everyone is avoiding here? The question of after the Browns spending 230 million dollars on a QB and a second round draft pick on a new WR, should be the Browns be realistically expected to score more points? They're avoiding it like the plague. Including you it would appear.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020815 07/23/23 01:53 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Look there is no disputing that the quarterback is very important for team success.

But let's get real. In those games the defense fell apart. In everyone of those games.

You can have a qb throw for 400 yds plus and throw for 5 TD's. And still lose because the other team outscores you.

How about missed filed goals?

The quarterback is probably the most dependent player on the team. If the OL can not pass protect. The quarterback will look real bad.
Receivers who can't get open or can not catch the ball. Quarterback suffers. No running game equals all out pass rush.

Sure the NFL is a business. Of course they want a return on investment. Just because it is what it is does not mean they will get it.

If you don't have a team. The team will not succeed.

bonefish #2020818 07/23/23 02:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you are or are not saying our O should score more points after spending 230 million on a QB and a second round draft pick to upgrade the WR position? I'm still not seeing an answer to that question.

And BTW how many points does an opponent have to score for your defense to have considered to have "gave up"? We must certainly have a different definition of that. In the Atlanta game they scored 23 points. In the Ravens game they too scored 23 points. And while you are right concerning the other two games, the Browns still lost by very small margins using a back up QB.

You still can't even state that watson should be able to score more points with this O than the backup QB?

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2020828 07/23/23 03:15 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
From this thread:

"We all know the importance of DW playing up to his potential. We made a huge investment to get him. Now is the time for him to play to expectations.

From this thread:

"I can envision what the offense will look like. I expect to see 3 and 4 receivers packages. Guys in motion. Mostly shotgun. RPO's.
Fast fire offense. Ball out quickly. Chubb from the gun as lone back. Chubb in screens. Heavy use of TE's.

I expect (in certain situations) designed runs by DW.
No doubt the offense will be up tempo and we will stretch the field. Goodwin will be used as will Moore on vertical routes. DW is an excellent deep thrower.

DPJ and Cooper are really good route runners. They will be used to space the offense like quartering the field.
We should be able to scheme open guys on rub routes. The offense will be versatile with many options."

Of course i expect the offense to score more.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I expect them not to? I never said or implied differently.

But I also know that it takes more than great quarterback play to achieve real success.

bonefish #2020830 07/23/23 03:17 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Don't overlook that if the Browns had scored 4 more points
then

the opponent would have scored five more points and you

still would have lost because your coach... ... wet paper bag.

all analytics does is reveal to the other team how hard they have to work to beat you, and it analyises itself into about a

seven and ten record, IF, you recover that onside kick, to win those seven.

"despite finishing in 4th place the Browns have a ton of talent"

bonefish #2020833 07/23/23 03:21 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I never once claimed you expected them not to. I claimed you hadn't stated that you expected them to. Nothing you posted previously to your last post had stated that either.

But finally you did answer the question. Thanks.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2020855 07/23/23 07:53 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
But when you’re getting Deshaun money, you better pull your weight. Bottom line.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mood Swing

Link Copied to Clipboard