Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
as if they weren't before, the Jets are all in

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
While you can ever predict for sure where a player will end up, I think a lot of people considered this the strongest possibility.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Cade York...I have no answer for what might be affecting his kicking performance but I'm not sure how long the Browns stick with him given his INCONSISTENT FG kicking.

It sure looks like he has lost his confidence in his ability and that leads to all kinds of potential sources that might be contributing to his kicking issues.

...is York dealing with some kind of physical issue/injury..? If that is the case the Browns have kept a tight lid on any such news.
----something that I've noticed about York's kicks..when the ball leaves his foot and is on the way toward the goal posts, I can't ever remember seeing the ball change direction like York's kicks do. Sometimes his kicks seem to suddenly change direction in mid-flight, veering off the mark and ending up NO GOOD. Last night I believe he had one kick that started out looking like it was going to be good only to watch the kick tail off the right, just outside the goalpost.

I don't know if others have noticed the way York's kicks travel while in the air or if anyone might have an idea why York's kicks seem to veer off. One thought I had was there might not be enough rotation on the ball to cut through the wind currents when kicking outside. Maybe the lack of rotation of the ball allows his kicks to be affected more by cross winds..?

...is it some type mental issue that has affected his focus and concentration?
----that is a subject we could talk about for a long time and never figure out.

Idea's anyone..?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by mac
Cade York...I have no answer for what might be affecting his kicking performance but I'm not sure how long the Browns stick with him given his INCONSISTENT FG kicking.

It sure looks like he has lost his confidence in his ability and that leads to all kinds of potential sources that might be contributing to his kicking issues.

...is York dealing with some kind of physical issue/injury..? If that is the case the Browns have kept a tight lid on any such news.
----something that I've noticed about York's kicks..when the ball leaves his foot and is on the way toward the goal posts, I can't ever remember seeing the ball change direction like York's kicks do. Sometimes his kicks seem to suddenly change direction in mid-flight, veering off the mark and ending up NO GOOD. Last night I believe he had one kick that started out looking like it was going to be good only to watch the kick tail off the right, just outside the goalpost.

I don't know if others have noticed the way York's kicks travel while in the air or if anyone might have an idea why York's kicks seem to veer off. One thought I had was there might not be enough rotation on the ball to cut through the wind currents when kicking outside. Maybe the lack of rotation of the ball allows his kicks to be affected more by cross winds..?

Idea's anyone..?

The commentators were making mention of that as well. The one commentator mentioned the weird spin on the ball after York kicked it. He said he's never seen that kind of spin before. I'm sure that is what is causing the change in directions

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
That's what happens when you try to kick a 70 yard field goal for 40 yards away. The kid is doing great at practice, but when the pressure is on he is getting to amped up. He has all the talent in the world, but he has to get over the mental aspect QUICK.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg
The kid is doing great at practice, but when the pressure is on he is getting to amped up. QUICK.

What I would do is create pressure in practice. At the end of every practice I would have him kick a Fg. If he makes it, practice over. If he misses the team runs laps.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I am concerned, between last year and this pre-season. We need a 'maker' mores than a 'kicker' with more mental toughness than York shows. Get better.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Legend
Legend
I would imagine our coaching staff has tried everything under the sun to replicate pressure and approach and all of that ... the only thing they HAVEN'T done is bring in competition. Might be time

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Idea's anyone..?

The commentators were making mention of that as well. The one commentator mentioned the weird spin on the ball after York kicked it. He said he's never seen that kind of spin before. I'm sure that is what is causing the change in directions[/quote]

Dave...the ball movement is obvious if you watch his kicks in slow motion. Something seems to be inconsistent in his form but watching him, I would
simply be guessing as top what he might be doing that leads to his inconsistency.

I do know this, York was not the most accurate kicker in college (ncaa). York ranked 24th in the NCAA his final year 2021 as a LSU Junior.
...York had 18 fg attps with 15 fgs made his junio year. Below is his 3yr college record...

G XPM..XPA..XP%...FGM..FGA..FG%
15 89....93....95.7....21....27....77.8
10 36....36....100.....18....21....85.7
12 39....39....100.....15....18....83.3

Was York the best FG kicker in 2022 draft..? I hope he was, but he needs figure out what he needs to do to improve.

The Browns simply can not afford to lose games because our kicker is inconsistent.

Last edited by mac; 08/19/23 12:58 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The problem wouldn't be rotation. Placekicks don't have a spiral spin like a punt that cuts through the wind. Sidespin is his problem. Too much and it hooks too much. Not enough it will knuckle or fade right.

Either he is having a problem with the holder, which could be the case, he is simply missing his desired strike point, or some combination of the two.

A hold that is "off' even a half inch on the horizontal or vertical axis will alter a kick. As for him simply missing his optimum strike point, lot's of things can cause that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Jay Feely posted last year how Cory was doing a good job on holds. He did have a problem when he was in Green Bay and was probably the reason he was cut.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
A
Legend
Legend
A
There is definitely an art to holding. The kicker doesn't want to adjust. I mean, when the ball is snapped, the kicker is on his way to kick it. A holder has to have great hands, and speed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Frenchy

Mark Andrews is a piece of trash

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I hate the ravens lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by Frenchy

Mark Andrews is a piece of trash

Meh, I expected worse when I read the caption. To me, it looks like he thought he fumbled. The defender picked it up, so he tackled him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Ray Finkel, make the kick please. It’s not too much to ask

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How do other teams find kickers?

since Siebert, = 4th kicker that the Head Coach can't win with, or get to be a competent kicker

seven @uarterbacks Head coach can't win with?

4 versions/groups at free safety that the head coach can't win with. or is it Depo and Berry?

3rd or 4th time of rolling the dice trying to find an opposite side player to Myles Garrett, whether, if Takk McKinley were #2, and then Clowney, and now Ogbo, and Smith

4th time trying to find a top duo at WR, for the current Head Coach?

How do other teams do it?

The Browns, since 20I8, or whatever, are getting 3 times as many new players as most other nfl teams,

and they are all said to be so great,
they are all talked up well,

so why can't we get a coach who can win with this talent, and , I'm talking about the offense, and I'm talking about points

and , back to the beginning, we're on the 4th kicker who can't put it through the uprights
How are you treating the kickers?
What are the other teams doing, that they can make kicks

I was listening, and someone said that DTR was the ONLY one who threw downfield in the first preseason game,
well, how come, the more time a player, a @uarterback spends around this coach and front office group
the less likely they are to throw downfield and or win by passing.

I'm so done with the current offensive coordinaton, no matter who is responsible for it.
Cue the
Terrible September game outcomes again, < 24 days away.

I have no hope for this head coach, ... if eleventh place, in the afc, and 6 to 8 wins is acceptable, then stick with this Head coach,
I don't like it, No Bueno.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
There is definitely an art to holding. The kicker doesn't want to adjust. I mean, when the ball is snapped, the kicker is on his way to kick it. A holder has to have great hands, and speed.

The reality is he can't adjust. He can stop and that is about it. The kicker starts his motion to the ball when the holder first catches the ball. The foot plant and ball placement happen at about the same time. Fractions of a second apart. There is no way the kicker can adjust his kick once his leg is on the way to the strike. All he can do is maybe stop if the holder bobbles the ball or lays the hold sideways.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Commanders to release Michael Badgley (kicker)

Michael Badgley: Time in Washington ends
By RotoWire Staff
1 hr ago
link

The Commanders plan to release Badgley on Sunday, a source tells Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

Badgley's dismissal leaves Joey Slye as the lone kicker on Washington's roster, though the Commanders could still look to bring in some outside competition before the preseason comes to a close. After converting on all 33 of his extra-point tries and 24 of 28 field-goal attempts over 13 games between the Bears and Lions in 2022, Badgley joined the Commanders on a one-year deal in Washington in July. Even if he doesn't find an opportunity elsewhere before Week 1, the 28-year-old's body of NFL experience should allow him to catch on elsewhere at some point during the 2023 season.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I remember we had Joseph, and he was ran out of town. Fans said he sucks and were glad he was gone. Now he one of the best in the league. Kickers are a dilemma

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Joseph sucked when he was in CLE. Just about every kicker besides Dawson has sucked in CLE since the return.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Regarding Cade York, I think I noticed his plant foot slip or give out on one of his last 2 misses. I think it was the second, but not sure (yes, I include the one with the penalty). IN no way am I defending him, or am I a kicking fundamentals expert, I just noticed while watching the game. Did anyone else get a good look or even notice it?

Legend
Legend
it will be interesting to see what teams are interested in J Taylor

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
well, good luck Baker

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
thumbsup

Joe Thomas #73
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Well the Bucs are in tank mode for Caleb Williams.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wasn't in favor of drafting Baker, but the GM saw it differently. (I was for Darnold, so...) I was at that Jets game where he opened the beer coolers. I was on board through that season and the next. Where I totally lost my backing of Baker was when he threw that interception and crushed his shoulder making the tackle. By that point he had thoroughly proven his lack of maturity in his decision making. I don't begrudge him; I hope he can have success. He can if he learns how to play without his emotions taking over.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

So, that's your take? They named Baker the starter so that they can "lose better"?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by FATE

So, that's your take? They named Baker the starter so that they can "lose better"?
Whats interesting is that the Bucs didn't add another vet
To the QB race. So if Baker fails and Trask replaces him
That tells me it's rebuild time
Tampa has the worst QB room in the entire league.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think Tom Brady might have had a hand in Baker going to Tampa Bay. I hope he does well there. As a matter of fact, I expect he will do well their.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M

He's got some good weapons to throw to. I expect him to do well, it'd be no surprise of the Bucs did well and make a run.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by W84NxtYrAgain
I wasn't in favor of drafting Baker, but the GM saw it differently. (I was for Darnold, so...) I was at that Jets game where he opened the beer coolers. I was on board through that season and the next. Where I totally lost my backing of Baker was when he threw that interception and crushed his shoulder making the tackle. By that point he had thoroughly proven his lack of maturity in his decision making. I don't begrudge him; I hope he can have success. He can if he learns how to play without his emotions taking over.

I reckon that's a very fair assessment. I was higher on BM than you but that play and his overall immaturity is a very big hurdle for him to overcome. Hope he does it and I wish him well. I also remember the game and season he came in for Tyrod and that season and the one we went to the layoffs were the most fun seasons as a Brown that I can remember since 1999.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not quite as bad as Curtis Painter, but tanking for the first overall pick to get a QB has been done before (Suck for Luck).

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard