Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I also am starting to think we don't have as much talent as we thought. Fairly good amount but not a huge amount.
well we certainly don't have the depth, especially in the front 7

We also have to remember that Cooper, Bitonio, and Chubb didn't play with the offense. That's a significant upgrade

I agree...but we have a TON of depth at DE (and quality at that)...the other 5/7ths? Not so much.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I also am starting to think we don't have as much talent as we thought. Fairly good amount but not a huge amount.
well we certainly don't have the depth, especially in the front 7

We also have to remember that Cooper, Bitonio, and Chubb didn't play with the offense. That's a significant upgrade

Not if your head coach is holding them back with his in game decision making.

It is time to hit the PANIC button on the offense. August I2th.

it's the coaches and lack of attacking downfield and predictability slash seen it before playcalling.

The being too smart or unprepared for the game as it unfolds, for instance, if a turnover creates a new game situation
immediately the analytical system overheats
and they default back to autopilot and autopilot gets treated like a rented mule for four snaps and the other team gets the rock back.
Panic Button.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It is only 2 pre-season games, but we saw a couple of problems last preseason too and it carried over to the regular season. The D-line PK and WR's come to mind. This year it's depth, PK, and our redzone O. If our starters stay healthy all year and hardly ever need a rest than we're OK. That's highly unlikely. I think there is legitimate cause for some concern. Throw makes some good points.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 08/12/23 01:23 PM.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
From what I saw of Conklin last night, he might get beat out by the 'big guy'..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree Mac. Conklin is on his last legs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
the good news is his mistakes are mental and very fixable

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Deepsouthdawg
2 games into a vanilla preseason and a few of y'all's comments is hilarious.

What I can’t fathom is this is an understatement.

It’s preseason…it’s the same thing EVERY YEAR with just a couple changes (I.e. rule changes, how offenses/defenses adjust from the previous year, etc) from the previous year.

Things I expect yearly, and still can’t figure out why it gets said:

- complaining the starting QB doesn’t get enough pre-season reps.

- complaining about the offense play calls (at the goal line, going for it / running certain plays on certain downs).

- how different units suck when it comes to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc string players.

- complaints about the staff, FO, and SKI over a pre-season game, lol.

“complaining about the offense play calls (at the goal line, going for it / running certain plays on certain downs).”

It’s the preseason, you don’t give out tendencies in the PRESEASON. We don’t even have our full starters out there. I’m sure in a regular season game, Kelly or Felton are going to be out there running it in our goal line packages..

It’s a glorified scrimmage, Ski is trying different play calls - see how players, different personnel execute the plays. I’m sure they are evaluating how some personnel work with each other in case of injuries and etc. Ski isn’t haven’t any sleepless nights over his pre-season play calling, lol.

5 members like this: Deepsouthdawg, Hammer, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Originally Posted by Deepsouthdawg
2 games into a vanilla preseason and a few of y'all's comments is hilarious.

What I can’t fathom is this is an understatement.

You are not wrong...but here's a response:

First off, It's a message board. It exists for people to participate, read or ignore. What's Purp supposed to do? Shut it down in the off-season?

The rest of my comments are in italics.

It’s preseason…it’s the same thing EVERY YEAR with just a couple changes (I.e. rule changes, how offenses/defenses adjust from the previous year, etc) from the previous year.

It IS the same thing every year...THAT'S why people are complaining...it's as if we haven't learned squat every off-season

Things I expect yearly, and still can’t figure out why it gets said:

- complaining the starting QB doesn’t get enough pre-season reps.

For how many years have we "saved/rested" starters (particularly our QBs) only to have them look completely unprepared to start the season?[/i]

- complaining about the offense play calls (at the goal line, going for it / running certain plays on certain downs).

[i]For how long has our offense looked inept in the red zone? Regular season or pre-season?

- how different units suck when it comes to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc string players.

Every year we drink barrels of Kool-Aid about how great our roster is now...only to see in season that it isn't

- complaints about the staff, FO, and SKI over a pre-season game, lol.

We see the exact same issues in the regular season that we see in the pre-season. Pre-seaon is when we are supposed to be working out the issues...then we simply do not

“complaining about the offense play calls (at the goal line, going for it / running certain plays on certain downs).”

It’s the preseason, you don’t give out tendencies in the PRESEASON. We don’t even have our full starters out there. I’m sure in a regular season game, Kelly or Felton are going to be out there running it in our goal line packages..

When WILL the starters be out there? PS game #2? I expect they will play (2) series and then done for the night...and then they won't play at all in PS #3...and we will look totally unprepared for the Bengals...at home...again.

It’s a glorified scrimmage, Ski is trying different play calls - see how players, different personnel execute the plays. I’m sure they are evaluating how some personnel work with each other in case of injuries and etc. Ski isn’t haven’t any sleepless nights over his pre-season play calling, lol.

When will we see how the STARTERS execute the plays? Opening Day? New QB (essentially)...re-tooled offense...new defense...what could go wrong? Opposing teams are also not losing sleep over Ski's play-calling either

Look...pre-season could be - and should be - meaningless as far as critiquing the play and the coaching...but for us, it never seems to be so. FWIW, I'm not attacking you, just responding as to why I post critical comments in the PS.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Legend
Legend

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1690724890188431360

PFF
@PFF
DTR in his two preseason games:

🔸 90.2 PFF Grade
🔸 231 total yards
🔸 2 TDs
🔸 134.9 passer rating

The Browns found a stud in the 5th round

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/13/23 10:23 AM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
The one thing that stands out so far in the performance of DTR is his poise.

It is impressive to see such a young player act so comfortable.

At the same time it must be remembered who he is playing against and what is he looking at?

The competition so far is made up of bubble roster guys. And the schemes are plain vanilla.

That of course is outside of his control. At the same time Dobbs and Mond are playing against the same competition and the same looks.

So far it is DTR that looks the part.

I hope he gets some more chances because at some point KS may need to consider DTR as his best option as the primary backup.

1 member likes this: Deepsouthdawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
DTR has really impressed. You can just tell that he has an IT factor. Not sure he can be a consistent enough passer, but I'll take him over Mond or Hobbs any day

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We may have found a QB for the future in DTR although looking 4 years down the road could be a little bit of a reach!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm glad the Browns got DTR and not Will Levis, DTR is more like Lamar Jackson in his play and that gives defenses heartaches.
and,
@uarterback rushing TD's have become a staple of every NFL week's lineup of games,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
At the same time it must be remembered who he is playing against and what is he looking at?

The competition so far is made up of bubble roster guys. And the schemes are plain vanilla.

It is prob the same level of competition he saw in college- something that was comfy for him at this point. I'm very interested in seeing him against 2's. Perhaps a series or two against 1's. Larger sample size will give a better picture, but for now- that pic looks sweet.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Will Levis wasn't my cup of tea either. I think DTR will fit really nicely with our offense (and maybe even add a wrinkle or two)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

That of course is outside of his control. At the same time Dobbs and Mond are playing against the same competition and the same looks.

I hope he gets some more chances because at some point KS may need to consider DTR as his best option as the primary backup.

Early days. It's easy to "show poise" when things are going well. He has a little bit of a Manziel-like playing demeanor (there's a clip of DTR flipping the bird at the Washington sideline floating around,) but luckily it seems he has better study/practice habits.

He has looked good.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1690724890188431360

PFF
@PFF
DTR in his two preseason games:

🔸 90.2 PFF Grade
🔸 231 total yards
🔸 2 TDs
🔸 134.9 passer rating

The Browns found a stud in the 5th round

So, the posts above saying to stop the criticism during preseason games, should also say stop with all the hype and kool-aid drinking because it is just preseason, right? tsktsk

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
So far, so good on DTR..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
very much so

Legend
Legend
DTR has really impressed. You can just tell that he has an IT factor. Not sure he can be a consistent enough passer, but I'll take him over Mond or Hobbs any day

My hope is that we make him the back up this year.... let him sit for a few years and turns into our starter or we trade him for some high picks...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird

My hope is that we make him the back up this year.... let him sit for a few years and turns into our starter or we trade him for some high picks...
exactly mine too

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No worries WSU, I didn’t take it that way and there isn’t anything wrong with critical comments. Besides, I expect my post came off as strong anyways.

I’ll just summarize my response with what you hit on as I just arrived to my mission.

As a team, the previous years have little value on this year. Yes, at the end of the season evaluate what went right/what went wrong, evaluate your players, use that evaluation to make adjustments for the next year.
As fans (generalization), we have a different view point. We know we’ve sucked for 20+ years and most people’s hearts/feelings hang onto that. That’s understandable.

As for the pre-season, there should be minimal work done with the starters. This isn’t something new and we aren’t the only team that does this. The CBA contributes to this and also you don’t need needless injuries before the season even starts.

The players will get their reps, they do it on their own time through meet ups/through these different specialized training sites, they do it against the first team in practice and also they will do it agains the eagles in a simulated practice.

As stated, that isn’t something new and other teams do the same exact thing.

I said the same thing before last season and I’ll say it again (and it’s been said by others), our season, like other teams, will be defined by minimizing injuries to key areas and winning the close games. It’s pretty much as simple as that. The preseason has very little bearing on the season.

People can complaint or get over excited about players thats fine. However, there should be some basic evaluation over what the complaints/hype over the said position or player.
A couple examples about this: criticism towards York missing kicks. I get it, that’s valid, I tend to wait and see…but, it’s very valid to be critical over that. Another example, last year Dobbs having a good preseason and fans debating or wanting him to start over Brissett. I made the comment during that time to remember he was a third stringer in Pitt for a reason.

What I am getting at is it’s the preseason, there is a lot of fools gold and I recommend tempering the excitement or concern on the games. It’s entertainment for sure and productive conversation on here is always great when viewed from a calm mind

1 member likes this: Deepsouthdawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by bonefish

Early days. It's easy to "show poise" when things are going well. He has a little bit of a Manziel-like playing demeanor (there's a clip of DTR flipping the bird at the Washington sideline floating around,) but luckily it seems he has better study/practice habits.

He has looked good.

Whoooah, bro.

I googled "DTR flipping the bird at the Washington sideline". This is what I got. Against the same team. NOT a good sign! 🤣

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
lol I saw that too! ironic

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I did want to bring up one thing about Mond. These games are good for him to be playing in and getting these kinds of reps.

My opinion on why you have him on the roster from last year to current.

- you should always have a QB project to work with yearly. Last year, we picked him up because of his certain qualities the FO valued. During the season he could get practice reps and try to let the specialized staff (QB coach) work on his steps, form, etc.

- this year, see how he progresses. They drafted DTR. Now it’s getting Mond lots of preseason reps. It’s a two-fold, if he looks viable…he can be trade bait if another teams QB goes down. If he doesn’t get traded then you can try to stash him on the PS with the hope he doesn’t get picked up. These reps are valuable to someone like him, say God-forbid we lose two QBs now Mond has a year and half experience in the offense. It doesn’t mean he will be average or above average, but at least he knows the system. This is the reason why players like Nathan Peterman stay on teams.

1 member likes this: FATE
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Well said. I just didn't have the time or energy to say all that. 😉👍

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
"So, the posts above saying to stop the criticism during preseason games, should also say stop with all the hype and kool-aid drinking because it is just preseason, right? tsktsk"

100% Yes that is what I'm saying. 👍

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Not doing this to bring up bad memories but to show the PERFECT example of why preseason is so meaningless.

In 2017 the Browns went 4-0 in the preseason. During the regular season the Browns never won a game.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The Browns have an extra pre-season game this year due to playing in the Hall of Fame game. Using the extra game to evaluate the roster is a good thing, imo.

I do believe the Browns coaching staff and GM have some tough decisions to make when it comes to evaluating the our roster.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you mean like it is for every NFL team every year?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

Not doing this to bring up bad memories but to show the PERFECT example of why preseason is so meaningless.

In 2017 the Browns went 4-0 in the preseason. During the regular season the Browns never won a game.

I personally don't care who wins or losses these pre-season games...I think most fans are the same way.

What I DO care about in these pre=season games is whether my team still exhibits the same poor tendencies that they did last year. Things like:

Missed field goals (by the same kicker);

Poor performance in the red zone;

Procedure penalties;

Getting gashed up the gut;

Do we have backups...especially at the skill positions...who look the part even if against other backups;

The defense communicating and fewer WTH moments...which was good to see...or not see I suppose in this case.

I'm looking/hoping for the team to clean up the things that continually plagued us last year.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Washington Gameday vs Washington

Link Copied to Clipboard