Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Legend
Legend
P
It could be that if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses on the ground when they landed. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
That could be the future plan.

It could be. As I said earlier, I doubt the team wants to take on that project mid season. You do that over the offseason Right now we are getting OK play at LT and pretty solid play at RT. Switching tomorrow might give you bad play at both. Right now, nobody is willing to take that chance.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #2031187 09/29/23 02:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I really disagree with you which is why I poked fun at Homewood's post. I don't see how anyone can claim that's "the plan". While Jones has played well, it's a three game sample size. He's been given a lot of help over there on that right side. That's not enough to base a "plan" on. I believe every player in every game is being analyzed. They will base their decisions moving forward as things unfold. As the evidence progresses. That's not really a plan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
lampdogg #2044394 11/19/23 08:30 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
He was out there today on some passing downs, despite being banged-up, and I think DJ did well against Watt. Hopefully he’ll be good to go next week when we go to Denver.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
lampdogg #2047481 12/04/23 10:21 PM
Legend
Legend
T Dawand Jones' journey from sliding in the draft to rising NFL player
Jones lost three family members from late March to right before the NFL draft in April

Dec 04, 2023 at 05:47 PM
071223_DocProfile
Doc Louallen
Staff Writer
20231022-AJ-22
Austin Janning/Cleveland Browns
Offensive tackle Dawand Jones (79) before a NFL football game between the Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts on October 22, 2023 at Lucas Oil Stadium. The Browns won 39-38.
When teammates of T Dawand Jones think about his personality, they would say he's entertaining and always makes them laugh. But on the field, it's all business for the rookie out of The Ohio State University, who is on a mission to prove his doubters wrong after falling in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Jones is performing well in his first season with the Browns. He is growing stronger each passing week and is gradually establishing himself as a top rookie offensive lineman in the NFL, playing 712 snaps and with only two penalties. At 6-foot-8 and 375 pounds, Jones has demonstrated his ability to utilize his size effectively. He has only allowed three sacks this season.
For Jones, his journey to the big stage came with hurdles. It all started his sophomore year at Ben Davis High School in Indiana when his football coach Mike Kirschner told him he wanted Jones to play left tackle.
"I wanted to hit people," Jones said. "I always wanted to be a defensive tackle, but my coach said I stand straight up way too much. He said I can do the same thing just on the offensive side of the ball."
Jones listened to Kirschner and started watching tapes on former Eagles LT Jason Peters and current Eagles OT Lane Johnson in his sophomore year. By his junior year, he was starting at left tackle. Then by senior year, he was receiving offers from colleges.
He was labeled a project by scouts going into college due to his film not being feasible at the next level. He ended up being rated a three-star prospect. Jones committed to The Ohio State University in Feb. 2019, ultimately choosing OSU over Penn State and USC. He first received a scholarship offer in Nov. 2018 and visited in Jan. 2019.
In his senior season at Ohio State, Jones did not allow a sack in 700 or more snaps during 2022, making him one of only five players in his position to do so. His success earned him the All-Big Ten second team and first-team All-American as he helped block for the country's second-most productive scoring offense. He entered the NFL draft after being noted as a top offensive tackle by ESPN.
"It was time for me to enter the NFL draft, and I was projected to go first or no later than second round," Jones said. "But that didn't happen because teams passed on me."

During the draft process in March, Jones went through multiple heartbreaks. Jones lost three family members in a month. He attended three funerals from the end of March to right before draft day on April 27. Then in the middle of June, another family member of his died.
He had three uncles – Chris, Buster and Doug – who passed away for a variety of reasons, from alcoholism to drug abuse, Jones said.
Jones said the death that hurt him the most was when his cousin Christy died from breast cancer a week before the draft. Jones said he was heartbroken when he was drafted because he wanted Christy to see him walk the stage in New York and put his NFL team hat on.
"I wore cleats this past weekend for her," Jones said on Oct. 26. "I wrote the quote she used to always say to me. She knew that I wanted to go pro and always supported my dreams of being on the big stage. I loved her so much. She would always tell me from a young age that I was special and was going to the league."
During the draft process, Jones was not training due to attending multiple funerals and was struggling with the recent deaths of his family members. He didn't want to be around others except his family during that time. However, he had obligations at the time to talk to the media and do interviews with potential NFL teams who were interested in drafting him.
"I only told the Bengals and the Eagles on what I was enduring that time," Jones said. "I did lose weight, but it was bound to happen with everything I was going through. I thought one of those two teams would draft me definitely, but they passed on me because I wasn't in shape during interviews."
Yet, his NFL dream was not lost. The Browns drafted Jones with the No. 111 pick in the fourth round of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Jones arrived at Browns training camp in Greenbrier and struggled early, having to stop DE Myles Garrett and the new Browns defensive front in practices. Yet, he started making improvements in the preseason. Jones played 148 pass-blocking snaps over the course of three games and didn't allow a sack. It was the most snaps played without allowing a sack in the preseason.

With the season-ending injury to RT Jack Conklin in Week 1, Jones earned his first start in Week 2 and never looked back.
Jones has emerged as the best performer among the four rookie tackles who have played at least 500 snaps this season. He has allowed the least number of sacks and the least number of penalties. In Week 7 against the Colts, Jones let just one QB pressure through and was awarded an 82.9 run block grade, marking his highest of the season.
In Week 11 against the Steelers, Jones went head-to-head with LB T.J. Watt and got the best of him. According to Pro Football Focus, Jones went against Watt 19 times and allowed no sacks and allowed no pressures. Jones' teammates have loved his development as a player throughout the season.
"He practices so hard," C Ethan Pocic said. "I saw him grow every day. He is doing a great job and is open for criticism."
He has flourished under the guidance of OL coach Bill Callahan, who has successfully developed numerous high-quality tackles over his four-decade-long coaching career. His fellow offensive linemen have taken notice.
"Dawand has completely taken to what coach Callahan has taught him," G Michael Dunn said. "He wants to become a great player and he has been improving every week. It's impressive to see how quickly he learned and got adjusted."
OL assistant coach Scott Peters has seen Jones grow through the early weeks of his rookie season and understands how he can be successful in the NFL. Peters said that Jones has the physical attributes, but it's the repetitions that have benefited him the most in the past eight weeks of the regular season.
"He sees things better now and just getting more experience has been positive for him," Peters said. "Being consistent is the biggest issue we've been working through, and I think we've seen some positive gains there, too."

Jones will look to keep his consistency going and continue to play well for his teammates. He says he is enjoying Cleveland. He likes going to Lake Erie with his tortoise. He is appreciating the early part of his career and is excited for his future with the Browns.
20231128-CK-01
Chris Kim/Cleveland Browns
Jones found a way to honor his late cousin once again during Week 13 when the Browns faced the Rams. Jones had a pair of cleats painted bright that featured the name of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation on the side for the NFL's My Cause My Cleats campaign.
"I am still dealing with losing my cousin to this day," Jones said. "Her death hit our family hard. She was such a great person. I think about her every day."
Jones has battled through adversity and dealt with grief this year, but he's shown what he can contribute to the Browns offensive line.
"I am very appreciative of Berry because he took a chance on me after everyone passed on me based on my performance during Pro Day," Jones said. "I see him every day and dap him up. Now, it's just time to get better and better. I am used to getting more and more accustomed to the NFL speed. I am ready for whatever challenges."

I heard this story from the writer on Twitter in a space a few weeks ago. I can’t imagine what he was going through.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: GMdawg
Pdawg #2047502 12/05/23 07:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Love that little fella smile

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: lampdogg
Pdawg #2047503 12/05/23 07:46 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Pd...good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize all the 'real world' stuff Dawand was going through in the time just before the draft. He put family matters ahead of his personal goals dealing with the draft and now I understand just how much he sacrificed to meet his family responsibilities.

No doubt his progress on the football field was affected but he seems to have handled both personal and professional responsibilities as well as could be expected. The Browns are fortunate to have Dewand as their starting RT and what he has gone through personally will help him grow as a person but also as a NFL football player.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
lampdogg #2047504 12/05/23 07:52 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
" He likes going to Lake Erie with his tortoise "

A man that big in the sand with his pet Tortoise

lampdogg #2047510 12/05/23 08:41 AM
Legend
Legend
he's been such a bright spot for the season ... it's nice to know one of our tackle spots is pegged down

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
lampdogg #2047541 12/05/23 12:01 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I believe the long-term solution depending on how well Conklin recovers from injury is for Jones to move to Left Tackle and replace Wills. Jones is huge and his pass blocking vs players like Watts has been really good.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
I believe the long-term solution depending on how well Conklin recovers from injury is for Jones to move to Left Tackle and replace Wills. Jones is huge and his pass blocking vs players like Watts has been really good.

I had this same thought earlier, and someone corrected me saying that Jones played RT all through college.

Do with that information what you will. I'd be hesitant to move a young guy that's establishing himself into a new position.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I had this same thought earlier, and someone corrected me saying that Jones played RT all through college.

Do with that information what you will. I'd be hesitant to move a young guy that's establishing himself into a new position.

Jones was at LT for his first season at OSU.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: oobernoober
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Wills played RT in college at Alabama.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
lampdogg #2047578 12/05/23 04:32 PM
Legend
Legend
IMO if the draft was given a do over. Jones would go in the top 15.

mac #2047602 12/05/23 05:34 PM
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by mac
[color:#FFFFCC]Pd...good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize all the 'real world' stuff Dawand was going through in the time just before the draft. He put family matters ahead of his personal goals dealing with the draft and now I understand just how much he sacrificed to meet his family responsibilities.

/color]

Kind of makes us think of players as real human beings, not just interchangeable parts of a system put on earth to entertain us.

1 member likes this: mac
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dawand Jones

Link Copied to Clipboard