Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by Milk Man

🤮

Hate fake ass PR bullcrap like this.
lolz.

LOLZ right back at you. Either you buy into him 4ever loving the dog pound (which would be so sweeet) or you are just trolling other posters. LOLZ indeed.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/11/23 02:57 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
when the line started moving big time in our direction as game time approached, I started to feel much better. The rain gave us a huge advantage because we are better in the trenches and have Chubb.

Let's hope for rain again Monday lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by JimDawg
Hopefully it was the weather. See Joe Burrow's stats.

I don't think it was the weather.

I was at the game. It was pretty much windless. None of the flags around the field were moving very much, and what rain seemed mostly a foggy drizzle. Conditions were damp all day. Humidity was very high. I suppose that could have kept all the footballs damp.

The O seemed "clunky" for a while...like players and coaches feeling their way around the playbook and figuring out how to use various guys.
It should start to smooth out and fall in to place as the season moves along.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird
so we've got the steelers next week... they looked horrible today... could we actually start the season 2-0 against two division opponents? Hate to jinx it... but man that'd be sweet... hopefully our defense can keep Pickett skittish...

The D looked like a legit good D. I don't see it making much of a downturn. It's easier for a D to fire on all cylinders from the start.The O is what usually takes a little longer.

As the game went along the O started to churn a little better, so hopefully that will continue.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Watson said post game that he was gripping a heavy football way too hard and it was just dying on him. Let's hope that was the case ... he had a stretch of some UGLY throws.

Burrow looked like he shouldn't (nor did he want to be) be on the field yesterday.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I was at the game. It was pretty much windless. None of the flags around the field were moving very much, and what rain seemed mostly a foggy drizzle. Conditions were damp all day. Humidity was very high. I suppose that could have kept all the footballs damp.

The O seemed "clunky" for a while...like players and coaches feeling their way around the playbook and figuring out how to use various guys.

The TV announcers made it sound like it was a sideways downpour. Probably making excuses for Burrow.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

The TV announcers made it sound like it was a sideways downpour. Probably making excuses for Burrow.
It was just a constant mist, zero, and I mean zero, wind. I can’t recall a game ever with that little wind at the stadium. What a fun game though. Good to see you as well Russ!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
someone on the radio described the weather as "Midwest, Big 10 mist" and that seems pretty accurate. It was just like hanging in the air

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Weather, same for both teams- BOTH QBs had trouble with wet heavy ball- bottomline- Schwartz's Defense did their job- limit points and get ball back to offense- ONE GAME SAMPLE- but a hell of a game on D......Jones seemed up to the task yesterday- TJ Watt awaits him.......Great game- GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Watson said post game that he was gripping a heavy football way too hard and it was just dying on him. Let's hope that was the case ... he had a stretch of some UGLY throws.

Burrow looked like he shouldn't (nor did he want to be) be on the field yesterday.

The stretch was about 60 minutes lol. Bounce passes all day long. His explanation makes a bit of sense. Yeah, Burrow looked like he would rather be at an IRS audit.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
Legend
Defense wins championships! Nice to see a shutdown D back in Cleveland. Reminds me of the good ole days. Nice coaching.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
FATE #2027022 09/11/23 09:11 AM
Legend
Legend
the weird thing was that Watson did still have a handful of good throws. The one to DPJ was beautiful, same with the reverse field one to Moore

And, to me, the biggest pass of the day: 3rd and 11 from mid field with 1:00 to go in the half ... a bullet to Cooper on an out pattern. Without that pass, we are only up 3-0 at half

FATE #2027024 09/11/23 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Burrow looked like he shouldn't (nor did he want to be) be on the field yesterday."

Here is to hoping every qb that plays us feels the same this year.

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I agree, was mostly being facetious. The good throws made it all the more confusing.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BADdog
"Burrow looked like he shouldn't (nor did he want to be) be on the field yesterday."

Here is to hoping every qb that plays us feels the same this year.
I hope we make Pickett's life terrible

M
Legend
Legend
M
Myles Garrett practicing cross-over dribbling before pressuring the QB that resulted in a sack.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: JimDawg, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
that's an awesome clip

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting to hear first hand accounts of the weather. Yeah, I think it was Ian Eagle who was saying that the rain was coming in "sideways." Apparently that was not the case.

One thing I noticed about Watson on the throws that were in the dirt was that his footwork was putrid. Sure, there were some times when he was throwing on the run, but when he actually set his feet on those throws, it looked awful. Van Pelt is a big footwork guy so hopefully he will keep him dialed in on that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ha, I hadn't seen that during the game. He was having a lot of fun out there.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Myles Garrett practicing cross-over dribbling before pressuring the QB that resulted in a sack.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
There might be a little overlap as I haven't read the 2nd or 3rd pages of comments (yet).

1. Watson was hot garbage. For how much we gave up for him and how much we're paying him, that performance wasn't even close to acceptable. I'm kinda done with the excuses as well. Dude has GOT to play better than that. Baker on his rookie deal gave us similar performances, and that was deemed not good enough to have him stick around.

2. On the flip side, defense is the real deal. Turnovers would've been nice, but the fact they still held down that offense with no turnovers is probably even more impressive. Just a total smothering.

3. Special teams was boring. What a pleasant surprise! I know everyone wants to find the next Justin Tucker, but I gained a better appreciation of consistent kicking. Maybe I was projecting, but I felt like Stefanski settled into his 4th down playcalling when he knew exactly would he could and couldn't expect out of his kicker.

I'm not reading too much into this game. I know we just hammered the Bengals, and the Steelers just got curbstomped, but I'm kinda expecting a letdown on MNF. San Fran is TOUGH, and we consistently match up extremely well vs the Bengals. You know the Steelers are going to want to right the ship vs us, and we have a history of losing focus after a big win. I know they're not as flashy as the Bengals, but I think the Steelers will be a tougher test of our new D. Bengals have a talented D, but they're not as relentless as Pittsburgh. Watson looked BAD under pressure yesterday.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Browns start the week -1.5 on the road against Pittsburgh on MNF.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Zadarius whacked Burrow on his first drop back and he was under duress throughout. Hopefully we can set the tone early against Pickett, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
tough game to wager ... the steelers are going to be much better and up against the wall

Legend
Legend
tough game to wager ... the steelers are going to be much better and up against the wall

Yep, and I hope Myles puts them right through it.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

As someone in NYC metro area who actually watched the Giants Cowboys game until close to the end but who’s too lazy to find the stat line I’m going to assume the Giants were worse. I think the cowboys had 8 sacks. My wife who knows nothing about football just started laughing at one point and said “this is pathetic, they’re going to kill that guy”

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Yea, I was thinking after the game that we better be ready for a dog fight. Pitt will play angry after that humiliation at home with all those 49ers fans taking over their stadium. The offense will need to be much sharper earlier in the game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Zadarius whacked Burrow on his first drop back and he was under duress throughout. Hopefully we can set the tone early against Pickett, too.

Smith was a major difference maker for us. His presence alone changes the front 4 and the makeup of the whole defense. Gone are the days of just piling up on Miles assuming no one else can do it consistently.

Legend
Legend
Z Smith is a game changer. He's much better for us than Clowney. Add in Harris and Ogbo and it's such a better front

Legend
Legend
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
Kinda went under the radar but I wanna shoutout
@Rodney_McLeod4

Came in to replace Juan and did his job on every level. He played in 98% of the defensive snaps which was T1st for most snaps played and had a great game. Exactly why you bring a guy like that in. #DawgPound

O
Legend
Legend
O
... continuing my thoughts.

Conklin situation really sucks. Dude is racking up catastrophic injuries faster than he's finishing games. It's a bummer, and something that might pop up as an issue if Jones' performance doesn't hold up over multiple starts.

Moore was exciting to watch. Not so much because of the results... but you can definitely see they have big plans for this guy. I'm still disappointed in Watson... we have too many mouths to feed on O for him to bounce passes to his receivers.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
The balls into the dirt was really odd. He did that a few times in Houston last year too. Like he's overthrowing it or something

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by TooTall
When your D punishes the other team so badly that at the 9min mark in the 4th, they just started running plays to burn the clock. Then pull QB1 (which I really don't blame them in week 1) which was a true surrender no mas moment in the NFL. Loved that it happened to Cincy after J'marr Chase's comments. Hoping the same performance against Pittsburgh on prime time. Thanks Jim Schwartz for bringing some hard nosed D back to Cleveland.

The O did the best it could in bad weather; typically the offense which requires more timing in execution gets to where it should be by week 4. I'll take what we got and love opening week going in the W column.

Thank you Dustin Hopkins. For the first time in many years, I wasn't chanting voodoo stuff just to get a kick through the uprights. Job well done all day in yuck weather.

On to next week!
I agree that the Bengals raised the white flag half-way through the 4th quarter was very telling. And extremely satisfying.
A comment about Hopkins, not only did he make every kick, every kick was right down the center with distance to spare.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tomlinson also looking like a good signing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
that was expected, but still stinks for him. Thanks for your hard work Jack

Legend
Legend
In 1989 Bud Carson's first game as head coach the Browns beat the Steelers 51-0.

Yesterday was the best defensive performance I have seen since then.

Delpit, Emerson, Ward, Newsome were outstanding. The defense as a unit did not have a bad play. Burrow with his contract threw for 82 yards.

The Bengals were 2 for 15 on third down.

The defensive front rotation and scheme smothered the Bengals. They knew it. They went for a hail mary fourth down and then gave up. Took a knee.

Schwartz got the game ball and deserved it. The team responded to him and his coaching.

The conditions were wet and hard to judge DW. Gripping the ball was a problem for both qb's. The offense was good enough using the run and finding a way. DW's running ability came into play when throwing was rough.

I don't like Moore in the backfield unless it is a decoy. He is not a running back. Ford did not play well. In fact IMO he got to play more than he should have. He missed most of camp and the timing was off even on handoffs. He was slow and indecisive.

The dirt throws by DW were obviously from a poor grip.

Curious to see how the offense plays under better conditions.

Conditions are part of outdoor football. One team found a way.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Great win to start the season. Proud of the Browns.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Outside of the fumble, I thought Ford looked alright given it was his first NFL game.

-PrplPplEater
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Bengals 3 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard