Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2025553 09/02/23 05:10 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Talk about a snooze fest first half. Indiana is basically just sitting on the ball hoping to lose by under 20

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The spread on this one was -30.. so at least indiana won that....

Tough schedule ahead overall...

Though they have 2 creampuffs the next 2 weeks. Hopefully they work out what ever problems they have going into ND

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by The Collector
The spread on this one was -30.. so at least indiana won that....

Tough schedule ahead overall...

Though they have 2 creampuffs the next 2 weeks. Hopefully they work out what ever problems they have going into ND

Hey, we're playing my alma mater, YSU next week. Whatta mean creampuff? flamingmad

wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
it was almost like they were treating today like a scrimmage

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
They played with absolutely zero emotion or intensity. That is an indictment on Ryan Day. Horrible play calling, management, everything.

Hey, if you want to do a run first offense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust then get rid of the flashy WR's and upgrade the offensive line. I also heard Hartline was on the sideline and not up in the booth. Not good. And why is Henderson still the starting RB?

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
lots of questions coming away from yesterday. It surely was lackluster

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was fine. First game of the season breaking in a new QB (and 2 OTs and a C) against a non-cupcake team on a field that had temperatures over 100 at kickoff. All the hand-wringing feels cringeworthy. Indiana was milking the clock, playing not to lose rather than trying to win. They still got beat handily.

It's too soon to tell much of anything about this team. Fortunately, Day has been pretty good about getting problem spots cleaned up. I expect the team will roll the next two games and then we'll see what is what against Notre Dame.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
What I found concerning were two things.

1. Do they really have a QB?

2. If you can't get a better percentage on those 3rd downs against a team like Indiana you may be in for a long season.

And BTW Bull; It was Indiana's first game of the season too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
What I found concerning were two things.

1. Do they really have a QB?

2. If you can't get a better percentage on those 3rd downs against a team like Indiana you may be in for a long season.

And BTW Bull; It was Indiana's first game of the season too.

It was the Hoosiers first game. We also beat them by three scores, allowed only 3 points, held them to 153 total yards, and led the entire game. We did that while breaking in a bunch of new starters.

1. We'll see. It's too soon to tell. Can't have the bad INTs, but I expect Day to get that cleaned up.

2. We'll see how Indiana's D fares the rest of the season (I expect they'll be much improved over last year, 44 is a player), and I expect improvement from our O. It can take time to figure out what a new QB is best at and what to avoid in real game action. OL needs to gel as well.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm simply basing my concerns on yesterday's game. I'm not trying to make some doom and gloom prediction. There have certainly been seasons where the first game was concerning and things got ironed out. I'm certainly not trying to dismiss the points you are making but I think if we're going to entertain the point of it being a teams first game of the season, that's certainly a two way street. And I also understand that OSU won by three scores but they won by 10 points less than the betting line.

I'm a huge Buckeye fan and certainly hope everything works out as you are suggesting and if their track record is any indication it certainly should.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fair enough.

I will say week one lines are a crapshoot. Colorado upset TCU as big dogs and some random Texas school got its first FBS (?, I'd swear they said FCS, but that makes no sense) win against Baylor. The sharps get more accurate as the season goes along.

Fiercely Independent.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don’t think we have a good enough qb on this roster to win a title. Great defense, but sputtering offense.

Legend
Legend
Defense played well... offense looks like it's pre-season...

<><

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Anyone else catch LSU get beaten down by Florida State? Put the Noles up a couple spots and say bye bye to LSU.

Last edited by RememberMuni; 09/04/23 08:04 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep, watched some of it. It's never a bad time to see Brian Kelly lose.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I think the last word I would use to describe this offense is "explosive." McCord didn't impress me much, especially with his arm. We ran a lot, and should have been able to. Really concerned about the passing game as called and as executed by this QB. Buckeyes wouldn't have won multiple games on the schedule this year with that effort. Compliments to IU; played a whale of a first half. If they caused us trouble, some other teams should be expected to cause us more.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
FSU certainly dominated LSU

Legend
Legend
This was one of those games I really hate.

As a lifelong OSU fan, I want them to destroy whoever they play, but as a YSU alum, (kinda) I want them to put on a good show, at least.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
another snooze fest. There's not much to gain or gather from it other than adding a win

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
another snooze fest. There's not much to gain or gather from it other than adding a win

These games do really help an in state school like YSU, because they get a huge payday. This game wioll basically more than cover their charter flights for the season.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct. I think I read somewhere, at some point in time, that OSU always tries to schedule an in-state school each year. Ohio U, Toledo, BG, Kent, Akron, YSU, Miami of O, - it helps the smaller schools financially, and it USUALLY results in a W for OSU.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This actually kind of made me feel better about the Buckeyes' OL.

Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: Ballpeen, jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

That was pretty good!

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
LOL...Obviously PeeWee is a regular caller in to his coaches show and gives Saban some grief even in big wins, so that's pretty funny how the coach just summed it up for him..lol

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

What a game it was tonight!!! Hard-fought, to say the least. All the way to the wire.

P.S. Time for bed.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Thought we blew the game when we failed on 4th & inches. Great finish.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

Well deservedly too.

Great win for the Buckeyes! laugh

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

Back in my medical device sales days, Lou Holtz gave a speech at our national sales meeting, to this I'm still trying to determine what his marble mouth said.

Hat tip to Ryan Day for getting after Holtz!

Cheers to Lee Corso as well...

1 member likes this: FATE
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Screw Lou Holtz.

Legend
Legend
I can't believe we won that game... several fourth downs we missed on... thought we lost Harrison for the season when he rolled his ankle... our QB was solid but missed several throws... hats off to the defense and running game... man! what a finish!

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
McCord missed some throws but he threw some dimes when it mattered. That last throw to the 2 yard line on 3rd an 19 or whatever it was, was money. An absolute dart.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly I don't think what Holtz said was that bad. Now the headlines that were written about what Holtz said were more deserving of Day's post game explosion.

We still need to get more physical in the trenches. ND only had 10 guys on the field the last 2 plays, with the guy missing being the DL who was supposed to be exactly where we ran, and we still barely made it in.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
that was a glorious game ... ugly, tough win. The last drive had me on the edge of the couch. Congrats to the Bucks

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
what a terrible blunder by their staff/players

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've always said it's better to win ugly than to lose pretty. This game was a prime example of exactly that. The bottom line in this game for me is when their back was up against the wall and all the marbles were on the line, they did what it took to win.

I don't think it's wrong for those who wish to break the game down and show what OSU could have done better because there certainly are things to break down. As for myself I'm just going to take the W and appreciate the grit and determination they gave to do what it took to win.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
so now we rest up and coast until the PSu game

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
BYE
Maryland
at Purdue
Penn State
at Wisconsin
at Rutgers
Michigan State
Minnesota
at Michigan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State Buckeyes

Link Copied to Clipboard