Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
I don't expect much either. If the game is close I'd be surprised ... there's just another level to playing in a regular season divisional game that you can't replicate

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
I don't think we should expect too much from a rookie QB starting on short notice. If he plays well, then great, but I expect the game to be close and it'll be down the stefanski not to get too cute, not to ask too much and protect the guy., even if he plays well.

Setting the stage to blame Stefanski if a 5th round rookie QB performs poorly against a good D. Why am I not surprised?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
P
Legend
Legend
P
Stop pretending he didn't play pretty great last week.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Scott Petrak ct
@ScottPetrak
·
52s
#Browns inactives: QB DEeshaun Watson, TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden, CB Kahlef Hailassie, C Luke Wypler, DE Isaiah McGuire, DT Siaki Ika.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Stop pretending he didn't play pretty great last week.

A needle in the shoulder does wonders...for a while...like for one game.

But how did the damaged tissure in Watson's shoulder react to him playing with the shoulder numbed..? Was the shoulder damaged further, meaning Watson could have further damage that could put him out for multiple games..?

IMO, Watson's shoulder has been injured a lot longer than anyone thought. The Browns went out and spent a lot of money on WRs "to stretch the field", but then played a rather dink and dunk passing game until last week.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker played all season with a bad shoulder, just saying there seems to be something different going on here…

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Baker played all season with a bad shoulder, just saying there seems to be something different going on here…

Not positive, but Baker's injury was non-throwing shoulder, and I can only assume DW"s is throwing shoulder.

L
Legend
Legend
L
correct, bakers was non throwing and Watson's is his throwing shoulder.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by mgh888
I don't think we should expect too much from a rookie QB starting on short notice. If he plays well, then great, but I expect the game to be close and it'll be down the stefanski not to get too cute, not to ask too much and protect the guy., even if he plays well.

Setting the stage to blame Stefanski if a 5th round rookie QB performs poorly against a good D. Why am I not surprised?

Setting the stage for blaming stefanski for bad play calling.... I guess. It's true. Do you want to disagree? Or do you feel KS put DTR in the best situation to cope with the situation? I know we passed 7 times out of the first 10 plays. Not sure since.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/01/23 03:21 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
32 pass plays so far and its the start of the 4th

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by leadtheway
correct, bakers was non throwing and Watson's is his throwing shoulder.

That might be why one player played and the other didn't.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As a former college pitcher, I can tell you that much of the velocity you generate in a throw comes from the non throwing shoulder pulling back as the throwing shoulder goes forward.

If your throwing shoulder is injured, throwing is much more difficult. It hurts, affects velocity and accuracy. Watson should have sat.

If your non throwing shoulder is hurt, you can still throw mostly pain free and with similar accuracy but your velocity is greatly diminished. In baseball not terrible because you are throwing to a stationary target. You only become slightly easier to hit. In football, you are throwing to a moving target in a closing window. Throws that that you think you can make, because you normally do, you can't because the ball is slower to get there than you are used to. Baker should have sat.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think today showed us we need to be calling up a veteran QB and sitting DTR on the PS. We can't afford another guaranteed loss.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker has a lesser team at 3-1, just saying.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Playing lesser competition and much better TE/receivers and line

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He does. Still a lot of season to go, though. It's definitely better to win than lose. Their next game against Detroit should be a good test to see how good they actually are. Weeks 10 (Titans) and 11 (49ers) we'll be able to compare against common opponents.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
IMO, Watson's shoulder has been injured a lot longer than anyone thought. The Browns went out and spent a lot of money on WRs "to stretch the field", but then played a rather dink and dunk passing game until last week.

So his shoulder was better last week? Sometimes opinions don't add up when you take a look at them.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was a little upset that he didn’t play yesterday, but injury is injury and I shouldn’t judge that. I would like to know who made the call after DW told press he would play.

This game was an embarrassment of epic proportions. That falls on Ski and is just another nail in his coffin if this season tanks.

I think we all need to relax a little and give them the season before calling for heads, if need be. I don’t blame DTR for yesterday, a rookie in his first game. Especially while the entire team, including the D was lack luster all day. I know now that we simply have no clue what to expect from week to week. You know, consistency.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll address your points in the post game thread.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
#Browns Kevin Stefanski said Deshaun Watson was medically cleared to play and that it was his call. He said Watson knows his body best and felt like he couldn't go.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Medically cleared basically means you're not at significantly more risk of further injury, not that someone should play. Not sure if I like this from Kevin or not. Kind of seems like he might be feeling the calls for his head.

What was the question he was responding to? Was he specifically asked about medical clearance? I have to get ready for a medical appointment and don't have time to look it up at the moment.

I'm starting to get a bit of the ("Browns") same old song and dance vibe, and I don't like it. Anxiety about the appointment probably doesn't help.

Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Medically cleared basically means you're not at significantly more risk of further injury, not that someone should play. Not sure if I like this from Kevin or not. Kind of seems like he might be feeling the calls for his head.

What was the question he was responding to? Was he specifically asked about medical clearance? I have to get ready for a medical appointment and don't have time to look it up at the moment.

I'm starting to get a bit of the ("Browns") same old song and dance vibe, and I don't like it. Anxiety about the appointment probably doesn't help.

Will Stefanski ever take credit for a QB decision to play or not play? Pass the buck baby........

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

There's 2 ways to look at it I guess. He was medically cleared, but felt like he couldn't play well. OR, Stef let that info out trying to cover his tail.

One way, the first one, is innocent and honest. The second one screams covering my tail. Which would lead me to believe there is a rift between qb and coach.

BUT, I did read that Watson didn't throw much in practice during the week.

Who knows where this leads?

Legend
Legend
Anybody with some insight to when this injury occurred? I apologize if it's been mentioned.

The only thing I see from the Titans game is the big hit to his shoulder on the QB power at 6:35 in the 3rd Q. He never showed any signs he was worse for wear. He got popped. Rushed for a 1st and goal. Probably should have slid at the marker (and had room), but he smelled paydirt and took the big hit.

He was great for the rest of the game. Had full range of motion on his high-fives after his 43 yard strike to Coop lol.

Absolutely nothing in his demeaner or performance that would indicate even the slightest injury.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
it occurred vs Tennessee on the designed run inside the 10 yard line

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Here is Watson in pregame warmups. Talks to trainer and then walks over and appears to let Stefanski and Berry know he can't go.

It has not been talked about much, but Evan Washburn with CBS brought up during the broadcast that fluid was found around the rotator cuff area of Watson's shoulder. Possibly bursitis from the blow to the shoulder he took against the Titans?

I'll be curious to see how he progresses when practice resumes and if he'll actually be ready to play against San Fran.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
A
Legend
Legend
A
I'm not impressed with what I saw last year, or what I've seen out of him this year. $230 million doesn't buy what it used to.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
So does anyone know how he hurt his shoulder? Didn't hear anything from the Titans game about it so not sure how that happened

Legend
Legend
Injury play is at 6:28 in this video:

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Yes, they left it up to Watson and he said he wouldn't be able to function. So that was that. And we were basically guaranteed a L

B
Legend
Legend
B
Just to name a positive, when the schedule came out I wasn't real thrilled with a week 5 bye. Now it looks like it came at just the right time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kind of. Unfortunately, it looks like we could use more than one.

Also really sucks that the 49ers are the team we play after the bye. They beat teams up physically with the best of them.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
it's one of the worst teams for us to play IMO ... we then go to Indy and Seattle .. that has 3-4 written all over it

L
Legend
Legend
L
It’s still early so I’m not looking beyond the 49ers, or worrying about 3-4.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 3 Ravens 28 Watson questionable with shoulder injury

Link Copied to Clipboard