Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
L
Legend
Legend
L
Not many will agree with me but I see Flacco as our most realistic chance to get to the SB. I don't see DTR doing it, I don't see P.J. doing it. All Flacco needs to do is hand the ball off, make the occasional deep/intermediate throw to keep a defence honest and not make too many mistakes.
Now, y'all tell me I'm crazy.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
You’re crazy.

but you might be right.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree with you there.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
You’re crazy.

but you might be right.

But it just may be a lunatic we're looking for?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
oh fate, turn out the lights

gmstrong

-----------------

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Tony Grossi
@TonyGrossi
·
22m
Per source, Browns were not only interested in Joe Flacco's arm strength in workout, they tested his mobility, and were pleased with what they saw. He won't be running bootlegs if he plays, however.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember the Jets game last year and the 2 tds in the final 2 minutes to win the game for the Jets.

Yikes. That is a painful memory. Flacco had it that day.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
DTR should still start

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
DTR should still start
yes he is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
DTR should still start

This week.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Lmao because I just came back to this page 90 minutes later and those exact words were ringing in my head as I read them in your post. Been singing the song in my head or out loud since my first post. rofl

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I really hope this is to be DTRs backup. I think that's a great move if so. If we are asking DTR to hold down the fort until Flacco is ready I don't like it.

Ride with DTR unless he absolutely collapses. I think he's only going to get better.

Stef called a brilliant game yesterday to protect and develop his QB while securing the win. He panicked a little after Warren's long run and after the score was tied and got pass happy but for the most part he called a great game. With this defense we have the luxury to continue to do this while developing the kid for the future. Stay on this track.

He delivered a game winning drive yesterday and I've read calls for Flacco to start on here. Say what? Hope the Browns aren't thinking the same.

I think DTR is the guy, at least until it looks to be above his pay grade, if it does. I don't think the team wants a QB merry-go-round. Flacco is a good back-up and a guy we can start if DTR gets hurt or starts to stink up the joint.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think DTR plays this week and I think they will assess week to week. I don't think the staff are counting on DTR being the guy in the playoffs.. he's got a ton of work to do on just the basics, then you ramp up the pressure to perform.. he was pretty bad yesterday as attributing to his 54 PFF rating. I think everyone hopes he catches fire and become the next Purdy but the chances are pretty small. I think its going to come down to two things, how fast Flacco gets up to speed and how fast DTR can get comfortable and start moving the offense more. The more tape teams get these next few games, the less those fastball only throws are going to work before we start getting into Walker turnover territory, he had like 4 close calls on top of the one that was. I think the other part of it is obviously staying healthy, I legit cringed when I saw him out there blocking on the edge for a run play.. i'm like WTF are you doing. I expect KS to open the playbook up a little and maybe get the TE's involved in the middle of the field. I just worry these fastballs in that area will bounce off hands and become turnovers. I think its just compensating for the mental issue he's probably is having about throwing into NFL windows and as he gets reps it will slow down for him and he can throw with more anticipation. But the big knock on him coming out was he doesn't always make the best decision and he lacks vision to see defenders and to throw with anticipation.. So we will see.. But make no mistake, Flacco was brought in with sole purpose of being that steady hand in the playoffs.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. I feel our FO is making the right moves. They probably realize a mistake was made not having a better back-up QB and now they're remedying the situation.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I think DTR plays this week and I think they will assess week to week. I don't think the staff are counting on DTR being the guy in the playoffs.. he's got a ton of work to do on just the basics, then you ramp up the pressure to perform.. he was pretty bad yesterday as attributing to his 54 PFF rating. I think everyone hopes he catches fire and become the next Purdy but the chances are pretty small. I think its going to come down to two things, how fast Flacco gets up to speed and how fast DTR can get comfortable and start moving the offense more. The more tape teams get these next few games, the less those fastball only throws are going to work before we start getting into Walker turnover territory, he had like 4 close calls on top of the one that was. I think the other part of it is obviously staying healthy, I legit cringed when I saw him out there blocking on the edge for a run play.. i'm like WTF are you doing. I expect KS to open the playbook up a little and maybe get the TE's involved in the middle of the field. I just worry these fastballs in that area will bounce off hands and become turnovers. I think its just compensating for the mental issue he's probably is having about throwing into NFL windows and as he gets reps it will slow down for him and he can throw with more anticipation. But the big knock on him coming out was he doesn't always make the best decision and he lacks vision to see defenders and to throw with anticipation.. So we will see.. But make no mistake, Flacco was brought in with sole purpose of being that steady hand in the playoffs.

I disagree. I think Flacco is an insurance policy. I believe DTR will be the starter unless he does not perform well or gets injured. Flacco is the veteran that will help guide him on the sidelines. I see so much improvement in DTR's game vs the Ravens game earlier this year and I believe he will continue to improve week in and week out. His receivers did not help him out yesterday with the dropsies. I think that will also improve as they get more comfortable catch passes from him.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you think a pocket passer style QB was brought in to mentor a 5th round draft pick who plays an entire different style of QB?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So you think a pocket passer style QB was brought in to mentor a 5th round draft pick who plays an entire different style of QB?

No, but a qb with over a decade of experience reading opposing defenses, managing game situations, keeping emotions in check and winning a Super Bowl might help.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, Hammer
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with you up until what you said about playoffs. I think it's an honest "TBD" at this point. To your point, he's gotta show a whole bunch more than he did yesterday but they can't hold it against him that that was his first start (I'm choosing to ignore the Ravens game when he had a whole 3 hour heads up). He can show gradual progress with additional starts, or he can regress as teams get tape on him. Only time will tell.

As pedestrian as his game was yesterday, I think it still did a LOT to explain the Ravens game, as well as to argue for his receiving additional snaps.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jfanent

No, but a qb with over a decade of experience reading opposing defenses, managing game situations, keeping emotions in check and winning a Super Bowl might help.

You're right and probably more so on the field than on the sideline.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think practice squad player/coaches will happen more often.

Flacco is way beyond his prime. However, his brain is probably still NFL-ready and can allow him to take the next steps into coaching while on the PS.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
DTR should still start

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FATE

Lmao because I just came back to this page 90 minutes later and those exact words were ringing in my head as I read them in your post. Been singing the song in my head or out loud since my first post. rofl

Still have Glass Houses on vinyl, dawg, 43 years old.

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/20/23 07:59 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

B
Legend
Legend
B

Mentoring doesn't mean he coaches the way he plays. It's more about reading defenses, what he might expect to see on the next series. The style of play has little impact on that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
If Joe has to start this season - and he might have to- then wins the game, he’d be the fourth QB to win for the Browns THIS season. 4

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I agree with you up until what you said about playoffs. I think it's an honest "TBD" at this point. To your point, he's gotta show a whole bunch more than he did yesterday but they can't hold it against him that that was his first start (I'm choosing to ignore the Ravens game when he had a whole 3 hour heads up). He can show gradual progress with additional starts, or he can regress as teams get tape on him. Only time will tell.

As pedestrian as his game was yesterday, I think it still did a LOT to explain the Ravens game, as well as to argue for his receiving additional snaps.
Yeah obviously perfect scenario DTR catches fire and he starts to put it together as we roll into the playoffs. but remember, this FO loves them some analytics. so they know the numbers and probability that happens. Thats why I think it was Flacco and not one of the other options like mccoy. Flacco can come in and play at any time and probably be successful enough and his extensive playoff experience and playing in the elements this time of year will be huge. DTR is from SC and played in Cali.. I fully expect that he would struggle if we made a deep run or are playing to try to make the playoffs in December. We have 3 game stretch coming up against 2 good teams sandwiching a trap game against LA. We will be underdogs 2 out of the 3. we wil see how much patience they have. I hope he does well.. but hes got to get alot better quickly down the stretch here. I think alot of the drops sunday were because receivers not used to getting fastballs at every angle and route.. it will take some adjustment. DA syndrome.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm slowly coming around to the idea that DTR doesn't have to "catch fire". He just has to "do his job". I doubt Stefanski is chomping at the bit to completely open up the playbook with the quarterback room being what it is now. DTR just has to take care of the football and help the offense not grind to a halt.

PJ isn't starting anymore because he showed that he's not always great at taking care of the football.

While these games are going to take years off of our lives, we've shown we can win with QB play like we saw Sunday. I'd be surprised if there's a "lightbulb moment" for DTR. I think it's more likely he begins to regress as there is more tape. But in the meantime, we can hope for slow and steady improvement as our defense, playcalling, and special teams carries us.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
DTR is only going to get better.

He's got the work ethic, talent, and belief from his teammates. Did you see all the team that came up to him after the game? They saw all week what he put in to it, how much it means to him, and his ability. In his presser he talked about getting back to work on Monday. This isn't baby carrots!

Watson will be hurt at various times over the next three seasons. It's just the way he plays. DTR will continue to get better and will be Watson's long-term successor.

Don't get caught up in where he was drafted.

And remember the Riz is always right.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Rishuz
And remember the Riz is always right.

One compliment and now you're referring to yourself in the third person. You went 0-100 just like THAT.

All kidding aside, I'm not going to let myself get too excited over DTR. He's proven that the Ravens game can be chalked up to circumstance. It will be fun/interesting to see how he progresses with additional starts.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
The Riz is always right goes back a long way before your post.

Just digging it out for fun.

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, oobernoober
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think people get muddled with a win. I think we all can agree Pickett is a horrible QB.. guess who had a worse rating this week.. yep.. DTR. So everyone saying Oh he's going to get better or he just needs time.. thats the hope, not the fact. Truth is noone knows how he's going to play week to week.. he was a 5th round pick because he has alot of holes to his game. So simply we hope for the best (DTR plays well enough to win), and plan for the worst (bring in a SB winning QB with tons of experience) I think the thing that remains to be seen is what they end up doing.. we go out next week and only score 13 points, I think you see Flacco against LA. I also thing KS will keep adjusting the gameplan the more he sees what DTR can and can't do. The fact we are 7-3 with all that has happened to us from injury standpoint is crazy, anything more at this point is gravy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. He did better. He didn't turn the ball over. I know the stats say so, but I discount balls tipped by our receiver. He still has a way to go...a long way.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

You sound like an old man sitting next to me, making love to his tonic and gin…

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hope that helped get the other tune out of your brain.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/21/23 05:45 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Pickett is an ESTABLISHED horrible QB. DTR has a lot working against him right now (mostly lack of experience/snaps... hell, he's probably still getting into the swing of things being the starter in practice). IMO, there's enough there to give him more opportunities. Not to say any of the upcoming games are gimme's, but we're definitely through the tougher part of our schedule. Given what he was able to do (and able to NOT do) vs Pittsburgh's D, as long as he doesn't regress we should continue to stack wins barring anything crazy.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
O
Legend
Legend
O
Flacco is NOT the future. He’s here primarily because PJ is a turnover machine. And I think unless DTR shows he can’t be competitive, he’s the starter until DW is back. This is such a weird season, us winning and all, yet injuries have taken a toll and we are still fighting like hell. This never happens here.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

You sound like an old man sitting next to me, making love to his tonic and gin…

Oh? So quick with a joke? You just light up that smoke... and you'll have me feeling alright. (Hendrick's Neptunia FTW)

2 members like this: GMdawg, OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Like him or not at this point, DTR seems to be working hard at his craft. Certainly green and needs to polish his game. I am pulling for him, and the chemistry and attitude seem genuine to me. Like him or not, we all would have to admit he has some upside while the jury is out. Go, Browns! Unleash the Elf!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
Was never a fan of Flacco... but we needed a vet... would not be surprised to see him starting against the Rams... but we'll see... hoping DTR keeps improving and Flacco is just insurance... but if we can get good QB play there's no reason we can't take the division...

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird
Was never a fan of Flacco... but we needed a vet... would not be surprised to see him starting against the Rams... but we'll see... hoping DTR keeps improving and Flacco is just insurance... but if we can get good QB play there's no reason we can't take the division...

I have mixed feelings.

I guess it boils down to how much can DTR really improve in a few games?

One also has to consider that we are a few games away from being able to talk about playoffs. Once that happens the question is would you rather go with the rookie in the playoffs or the experienced guy who has won in the playoffs?

Naturally we have to see how everybody progresses, but all things being equal, I lean towards the experienced guy.

Again, we might be getting ahead of ourselves with playoff talk. We still have 6 games to navigate. Lot's can happen in 6 games. November helps set the playoff foundation. December is when you punch the ticket.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Flacco was a good add. He is a safety valve.

He is just what you want. Experience and a slow heart beat. He will not be overwhelmed by pressure.

However, DTR has been with the team all year. He has that one element that Flacco does not have - mobility.

KS has shown a lot of different looks. Pistol, OL fullback, direct snap, Bryant under center. DTR can be a threat as a runner.

Opposing teams do not have much tape to look at on DTR. His mobility can be used in RPO's, draws, fake reverses etc.

Some of the rollouts KS did with Baker can put DTR in single read with run options.

There is more that can ne done to confuse teams because they do not know DTR.

Flacco provides a backup plan B. Pocket passer and a guy who can read defenses. Flacco has a great arm. Make no mistake about that.

If we are behind two scores late Flacco can run a two minute passing drill to get chunk plays. He is a perfect guy to have in your back pocket.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign QB Joe Flacco

Link Copied to Clipboard