Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
when looking at DTR, again, I have to go back and look at the gameplan. Let's not discount the Steeler's D in that game. They adjusted in the second half and jumped on everything short. Don't think other teams won't do the same. BUT, The gameplan in place protected 3 players on O. Obviously the young QB...But also LT and RT...and really the RT. Getting the ball out quick did 2 things. It made things simpler for DTR, and allowed him to put the game in the hands of his playmakers and not on his own shoulders. And he quick throws meant that Watt and Highsmith would have their pass rush negated a bit. Deeper routes means more time in the pocket for the play to develop meaning more time/chances for Watt to wreck plays. I also point to he final series when Jones played the entire series....he negated Watt and We were able to push the ball a little more. My point being...is that within the confines of the gameplan. DTR played pretty well. Despite the straight numbers. His is definitely one of those where the stats and analytics does not tell the whole story. DTR still has a lot of growth. OBVIOUSLY and both the eyes and the analytics will point some of that out. I, however, did not see anything that wasn't fixable.

I expect this weeks plan will still be similar in one way. Get the ball into the playmakers hands and don't put the game on DTR's shoulders. But each gameplan has been entirely different from game to game. More so this year than any we have seen thus far from the Browns. Do they push the ball more...possibly...with the suspension upheld for the Denver Safety...and the Denver D as a whole is just barely ahead of Myles Garretts on sacks...so they are not really known for sacking the QB. Meaning we may be able to give DTR more options. What they are known for is turnovers. Expect a gameplan that opens up "a little"....especially if Jones plays the whole game.

JMO

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1 member likes this: GMdawg
Legend
Legend
I said earlier somewhere. It’s insane not to have a viable backup QB. Not sure how viable Jflacco is but considering how often our QB’s go down to injury, Flacco will do for now.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I think we are going to see how DTR plays the next two weeks. If he crashes and burns, Flacco will start against the Jags, Bears, Texans, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Yep. Definitely a two week proposition. Unless he looks like Kenny Pickett this week (mostly joking).

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Flacco is NOT the future.

And the odds that a fifth round rookie QB pick is the future is highly unlikely as well. The Browns aren't playing for the future right now. They're playing for right now. If this team believes in analytics in any way, shape or form, they're not making the decision of who will be starting at QB based on future seasons of a fifth round rookie. Teams in the building process and with bad records make those types of decisions at this point in the season. Watson will be back and healthy next season. That's what they see as the future of the QB position in Cleveland.

I have no idea how this will all work out as it pertains to which QB will be starting for the rest of the season. But that decision won't be based on "the future". It will be based on who gives the Browns the best chance to win now and which QB has the best odds to lead this team to the SB. As it should be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I believe the Browns are banking on DTR having a successful end of the season. They may turn a fifth-round pick into a third or second in the coming years.

It is no secret AP and KS can produce results at the QB position. Turning DTR into a respectful QB would put a feather in their cap!

2nd String
2nd String
A few years ago, I was lamenting another Browns loss and had a Broncos game on. I watched for a few series and I have to say, I had never seen a worse looking QB than Joe Flacco. Flacco was "playing" for the Broncos.

It was like he was moving in slow motion and just mailied it in.

All I see here is a stopgap QB whisperer on the 52.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Originally Posted by JimDawg
A few years ago, I was lamenting another Browns loss and had a Broncos game on. I watched for a few series and I have to say, I had never seen a worse looking QB than Joe Flacco. Flacco was "playing" for the Broncos.

yeah he may just be here as a vet voice while Watson is gone

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I take it you missed last years Browns/Jets game then.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bugs
I believe the Browns are banking on DTR having a successful end of the season.

I think there's a big difference in banking on something and hoping for something. I'm sure we're all hoping he does well. What could be better? But banking on something with the type of odds you have of a fifth round rookie QB being successful in that rookie year isn't something smart gamblers do. That's why they signed Flacco. Because while you're going to try it and hope for the best, banking on it would be foolish.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I take it you missed last years Browns/Jets game then.

I take it you missed how incompetent our defensive, special teams and defensive coordinator was.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Browns had held them to 14 points through the first three quarters of that game. Flacco rallied the Jets to score 17 points in that fourth quarter. But never mind all of that, right?

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Yea, that really impressed me. No other NFL defense was that putrid last year. Thanks for playing. We have some parting gifts for you.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I think we are going to see how DTR plays the next two weeks. If he crashes and burns, Flacco will start against the Jags, Bears, Texans, etc

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting against the Rams... I think Peen said it well.. if you're thinking playoffs, it makes more sense to have a superbowl winning vets.... I like DTR... but having a rookie starting in the playoffs is nerve wracking... unless you've got someone playing like CJ stroud, I'd rather have an aging vet who has been there before...

<><

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Flacco is 3-14 n his last 17 starts. Not exactly playoff winning football.

Pluto reported Browns want to start DTR the rest of the way. Obviously that's up to DTR and how he plays, but I don't think there is a bigger plan to start Flacco, and I think him giving the team a better chance to win is being overrated. Don't forget the guy is a statue.

Watson just had surgery and will probably not be on the sidelines. DTR needs Flacco for support.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Pluto reported Browns want to start DTR the rest of the way. Obviously that's up to DTR and how he plays, but I don't think there is a bigger plan to start Flacco, and I think him giving the team a better chance to win is being overrated. Don't forget the guy is a statue.

Watson just had surgery and will probably not be on the sidelines. DTR needs Flacco for support.

And DTR has a QBR rating of 49 with 4 INTs, 0 TDs, and a 55% complete percentage... I hope the kid plays well, but I'd have him on a short leash...

<><

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
His first start as rookie he had no first team reps and found out he was starting an hour before the game.

His second game they purposely called the game conservatively against a team and coach who are notoriously hell on rookie QBs. Oh, and he led a game winning drive.

But give me the stats again.

Legend
Legend
But give me the stats again.

Sure... against the steelers he had 165 yards an INT and no TDs... QBR of 54%.... I get that he had "the game winning drive'... but lets not pretend that he was good during the steelers game... the defense won that game...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I've heard people say "I don't want to ruin DTR's confidence by having a short leash" ... my response is "we have no time to be patient in the middle of a division/playoff race"

We need to start whoever gives us the best chance to NOT lose

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That’s fine, however DTR is starting unless there’s an injury or DTR just bombs. DTR also faced two of the top defenses in the league.

Flacco is 38 years old, played in 12 total games in the past 3 years. He’s immobile. We are starting second or third string OTs. While the line has been good, their legs (the 3 QBs) have extended plays/drives at key times. We had a chance to pick Flacco up this year and we chose PJ Walker instead.

I assume he still has a strong arm and should still be able to move an offense. Stef being the coach I feel he can still get something out of him, if needed.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I don't disagree.

I don't think there is a grand plan to start Flacco. Naturally it all depends on how DTR plays but in my old eyes, he has to improve quite a bit to make me comfortable to think he can lead a team through the playoffs. Maybe even get us to the playoffs. We still need to win 3-4 games to lock that up.

That said, I might feel better about Flacco at this point, but I don't know if he has what it takes anymore. The only thing I know is that Flacco has a decided edge in experience.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Tomlin wishes the Steelers would have signed him first… he’s got that going for him.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
We have played ten games.

The trade deadline has passed.

What were our options? We need to win three or four games to get into the playoffs. DTR and PJ Walker are the quarterbacks in the qb room.

Flacco has been in the NFL for fifteen years. He can step into any situation with a slow heartbeat. He is not going to rattle.

When or if he plays will be determined by how DTR plays.

I would rather have Flacco as the backup than PJ. We can run. We have a solid offensive line. Flacco can read a defense. If he is protected; he can spin it.

It is not like at this time of year you call 911 and ask for a quarterback to be sent.

1 member likes this: Jester
Legend
Legend
Ab always has plans A, B, C, and D in place.

DTR is Plan A in this case
Plan B is either PJ or Flacco with the other being plan C
Plan D...no clue but rest assured AB already has one if we lose one of those three guys.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
That’s fine, however DTR is starting unless there’s an injury or DTR just bombs. DTR also faced two of the top defenses in the league.

The Steelers defense is currently ranked 27th.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-defense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats

The memories of years gone by aren't the facts of today. So if you wish to be accurate DTR managed to lead the O to scoring 13 points against the 27th ranked defense in the NFL while passing for 24 of 43, 165 yards an INT and no TDs with a QBR of 54.

I have no problem with people stating what he did but not stating what he didn't do.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What DTR did, aside from one tipped pass, is he managed the game and didn't lose it for us. He didn't put points on the board for the other team, and he got some time in the saddle against a defense that is notorious for the pressure they bring.

Playing that game while minimizing mistakes and doing just enough to keep us in it and not lose it is pretty much EXACTLY what we need to start with. Our QBs have been killing us all year by scoring for the other team, so when Watson went down, what we needed more than anything is a game-manager that won't give points away. He did that well enough and it is something to grow on and this team, with this defense, can absolutely work with that. As long as he keeps progressing and minimizes mistakes, there's no reason for Flacco to be anything more than a backup.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: OldColdDawg, bugs
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by JimDawg

He is stopgap. Nobody thinks he will be here after this year. He is here as a stopgap back-up QB.

People don't need to compare Flacco to himself while he was a legit starter. People need to compare him to DTR here and now.

Right now DTR isn't playing for the future. He is playing for the next game. His ceiling doesn't matter the rest of this year. Are we trying to get in to the playoffs and win games once there or trying to develop a back-up??

At this point we need to be concered with floors with these QB's. I don't give a darn about the ceiling the rest of this season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: bugs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DTR has really only played in 2 games.

SEA he had 1 pass attempt

SF he didn't play.
TEN he didn't play.
BAL he was told 30 mins with 0 prep that he was going to play. So, it's not worth looking at that game.

I think we will give him Den and Rams to decide if we can roll with him or not. If we can't, Flacco will get pulled up.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Question...

Can't another NFL team claim Flacco? He's only on our practice squad.

Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released or waived.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Sorry but noone should hold that Broncos season against flacco, they had a ton of issues, and he played well at his last stop last year and if not for them signing rodgers would probably be the starter. I agree that its DTR's job to lose, but like I said before, people have blinders on how bad he was in the second half that game.. his longest pass play was the last drive for 15 yards...... thats not going to do much, because guess what Denver going to do with their good secondary.. yeah they are going to sit on everything short just like Pittsburgh showed. This week I think is going to tell us more about stefanski thatn DTR.. how does stefanski manage a QB thats green, has obvious flaws, and still find a way to get up and down the field. I think that answer has to be using the run to setup the pass.. even when it appears it isn't working, sticking with it, make that defense run sideline to sideline, then hit them with the PA. It would be great if we had good TE's because they could be his best weapon right now. I just hope they don't make him run more than he has to and by no means should he be out on the edge trying to block a running play. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I don't like when Watson was doing it and I liked it even less when the guy as thick as a piece of paper was doing it. Just a side note, did anyone see the video of flacco from practice with the other QB's..lol, looked like flacco had his kids in gear and they were going through practice with the team. I know they say DTR is 6'2, but I don't know if I buy that, like mayfield being 6', but Flacco is a big dude out there. I know he's 6'6/245 so yeah, he may be a "statue" which actually isnt' true, he's been shown to be mobile like brady/manning mobile, they can move around and still look downfield, and at 245 lbs, its like big ben trying to get them down. I dont know whats going to happen, but this is first time since probably 2007 I've let myself get excited about where we can go.. It just sucks because you think of all the injuries and if we still had even a healthy Chubb/Watson how much different this team would look.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand what he did do. I also understand what he didn't do. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say that I hope the kid develops into a good QB. But the fact is he's going to have to get a lot better quickly. Unless of course you think the Browns holding their opponents to 10 points is going to be the common theme from here on out? There aren't enough Kenny Pickett's to go around for that to happen.

And despite the hyperbole surround the Steeler defense, that's not who they are this year.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
DTR has really only played in 2 games.

SEA he had 1 pass attempt

SF he didn't play.
TEN he didn't play.
BAL he was told 30 mins with 0 prep that he was going to play. So, it's not worth looking at that game.

I think we will give him Den and Rams to decide if we can roll with him or not. If we can't, Flacco will get pulled up.

This my thought as well.. I think we can't wait too long if the results are meh, you have to try something else. Thats not to say Flacco could come out and be straight trash then you go back to DTR. Its not a great position and its caused mostly by Berry not doing more at the deadline and in preseason. But I will say he atleast recognized it now and went and got probably the best option available.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
R
Legend
Legend
R
The rest of the season will depend on three things ...

1. Stefanski's handling of the QB position.
2. The play of the QB.
3. Health of Ward.

I think #3 might be a bigger deal than #1 and #2 honestly. The Browns have weathered the injuries to date. Not sure how much longer that can last.

L
Legend
Legend
L

2. The play of the QB.
3. Health of Ward.

I think #3 might be a bigger deal than #1 and #2 honestly. The Browns have weathered the injuries to date. Not sure how much longer that can last.

I think depends if Thornhill comes back or not, but we are down like 4 players in the secondary and Denver has a nice group of WR

R
Legend
Legend
R
Just read a great analogy on the OBR boards for Ward...Bob Sanders.

Dominant when healthy, always throwing themselves around and getting hurt.

Pretty spot on.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by leadtheway

2. The play of the QB.
3. Health of Ward.

I think depends if Thornhill comes back or not, but we are down like 4 players in the secondary and Denver has a nice group of WR

Have been very unimpressed with Thornhill. Very similar arc to JJ3 in my opinion. Hope he can give the team something down the stretch. Guy hasn't made one nice play that I can recall, which is truly remarkable considering he has the best front four in the game. The best I can describe him is non-descript.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by leadtheway

2. The play of the QB.
3. Health of Ward.

Have been very unimpressed with Thornhill. Very similar arc to JJ3 in my opinion. Hope he can give the team something down the stretch. Guy hasn't made one nice play that I can recall, which is truly remarkable considering he has the best front four in the game. The best I can describe him is non-descript.

he def. isn't what we thought, but we've had alot worse.. see JJJ, both Delpit and Thornhill pretty close in PFF grade but McLeod was actually our best performing safety, so him going down with Ward hurts even more.. So we need Thornhill just so we don't have hickman and bell as the safeties.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Question...

Can't another NFL team claim Flacco? He's only on our practice squad.

Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams, but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released or waived.

Technically, yes. However, another team cannot simply tell him he's signing with them, he has to agree to it. I don't see that happening.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
As others have already posted: ride DTR until the end of the season. (If for no other reason than his mobility, his familiarity with the offense and he might well be our #2 going into next season.) I like the Flacco signing, but he won't be around next year. Good arm but sitting duck.

IMO, we might squeak into the wildcard, but Flacco will be demolished within two weeks before that. Stifle Ford and Hunt, then end of 2023 story.

As I've posted before: as goes our D, so goes our season.

Unless DTR gets injured or completely implodes in the next couple of games, why not?

Flacco will give us no better chance in the last stretch (except as a serviceable and smart back-up).

Once Watson was out for the season, everyone knew it would be on Schwartz and the relative health of the D.

If KS wants to go all in on the pocket passer and the reliability of our #2WR, #3WR and Njoku in December and their dependability (and I am a Njoku fan), then so be it. But that would be a mistake, imo.

Let the kid show what he's got, let the chips fall and see it through. Playoffs - maybe? But we're not getting to the AFC Championship much less the SB. See how DTR does in leading this team beyond the wildcard round. Big IF. If nothing else, then trade bait.

Does anyone really think that Flacco will put up more points than DTR? Ride DTR until the end.

On to Denver. Go Browns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If the Steelers game is any indication of how many points DTR can put on the board, then yes I "really think that Flacco will put up more points than DTR."

But whether DTR becomes more productive than that remains to be seen. The Browns just can't wait too log to find out if they want to get into the playoffs.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign QB Joe Flacco

Link Copied to Clipboard