Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
First thing that came to mind:
Photoshop.

Still doesn't look right, but I'll take it.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Do you all think Berry, Stefanski, and DePo will get their extensions during the remainder of the season, the playoffs, or the offseason????

Maybe I'll make a poll.

No matter the date, it will be one day before mac ends up on the psych ward. grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It’s an unpopular position to speak truth to irrational exuberance the day after a good win. I watched a good bit of Joe last year with the Jets as I live in NY market and have a lot of Jets and Giants fan friends. He had good games, he had bad games, he had very bad games. He’s absolutely the best option we have right now and his steady demeanor is just what we need. But people declaring that he should be next years starter and that he’s better than DW hands down… umm, let’s pump the brakes a little bit people. DW has been a big disappointment so far and many of us would much rather we never pursued the guy but come on now, let’s wait and see how the next 4 games play out. Browns fans are so predictable.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No doubt, he's not even close to being a good QB. He's just experienced and seasoned. However, I also think KS will put him in better spots to succeed than Saleh

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
and that he’s better than DW hands down…

To be fairrrrr.... as a Browns QB, he is far ahead of DW.

.... just wait until he gets rid of all the rust from not playing since last year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Jester
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I feel like I've heard that before...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Those bashing Myles should rewatch the game. He was doubled constantly, and almost got to the QB many times. He actually was forcing early throws.

If nothing else, watch his press conference. He went IN on the refs.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: jfanent, PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I agree about pump the brakes.

Expectations have to be realistic. There is no doubt he is our best option currently.

At the same time with all he has accomplished as a quarterback. He is still Joe Flacco. He could at any given time throw a head scratching pic.

But I tell ya. Talk about a story. Joe could also play out of his mind. He has done that before.

We have beaten the Niners. We have beaten the Ravens. The two current top seeds.

If people think we can not do that again in the playoffs. Think again. It is for sure in the realm of possibility.

Next year? Hell Joe could go sailing and forget about playing anymore. He is not replacing DW.

We still do know what DW will be like. He was just starting to show some promise. He is still a young man with a large skill set.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It’s an unpopular position to speak truth to irrational exuberance the day after a good win. I watched a good bit of Joe last year with the Jets as I live in NY market and have a lot of Jets and Giants fan friends. He had good games, he had bad games, he had very bad games. He’s absolutely the best option we have right now and his steady demeanor is just what we need. But people declaring that he should be next years starter and that he’s better than DW hands down… umm, let’s pump the brakes a little bit people. DW has been a big disappointment so far and many of us would much rather we never pursued the guy but come on now, let’s wait and see how the next 4 games play out. Browns fans are so predictable.

I think this is the most balanced take on the QB situation I've seen in this thread - it does two things simultaniously: 1. Acknowledges that Joe isn't some 38 year old super hero coming to lead the Browns anywhere in the future and there's every chance he'll stumble in games before this season is out. All things being equal I would MUCH rather roll with DW next season. 2. It acknowleddges that DW has been a big disappointment and woefully underperformed versus any expectations fans could have - even those wanting to make excuses for truly abysmal performances based on 'RUST'. People seem to conviniently forget just how much time DW had with the team the season he missed 11 games, how much work he alledgedly did to be 'ready' even before that, how very badly he played as a result ... and Joe comes in and plays after wat, a week? 10-12 days? and he looked 'just about good enough' in week 2.

None of which relates to DW's baggage and any of my emotions regarding him and the trade. It's a pretty simple comp based on what he's done in a Brown's Uni and what Flaco has done/looked in 2 games. Someone pointed to DW being 5-1 this year - which is true. I'd like to point out in 3 of those games, Cinci scored 3 points. Titans scored 3 points. Cardinals scored 0 points. So keep things in perspective.

As for Sunday and the Jaguars.

- I thought we played well and beat a good team.
- We would have dominated a good team excpect for turnovers and penalties.
- Joe looked comfortable and seasoned and his "steady demeanor" to coin a phrase from 10yrOvernight - is a perfect description and what the team is in need of right now.
- Ford ran well - I didn't see any glaring holes or cut backs missed. Personally as other have mentioned I think his biggest failing is he's not Chubb. As a back up NFL RB he is adequate and shows some decent speed now and then.
- For all that Hunt is a bit of a shell of himself, he does bring it to the best of his ability every single touch.
- Cooper who I love as a WR had a bad game. But I think he and Joe will do some good things as long as Joe is healthy. Cooper gets separation, Joe can throw with anticipation still.
- Stefanski called a good game - I didn't agree with going for it on 4th when Hunt got the yards needed. People always talk about only criticizing plays when they don't work - I don't agee that's it at all and this is an example. Conversely before Njoku made the catch, I was already happy with the play action on that play in the 1st Q.... low risk high reward because of the field position and score and time left. Hunt's 4th down had too much negative consequence for not making it.
- Another play I didn't like was the pass before the 55 yard FG ... if you are happy to kick the 55 yarder, run it for 2 yards if that's what you get. Take the 35 seconds off the clock.
- Delphit injury was such a slap in the face ... I have not seen any updates today. Hope he and every Brown that's fighting injury can get healthy for a season ending play off push.

- Defense did pretty good for 90% of the game. I don't know if MG is fighting injury or just fighting double teams.... someone somewhere should have stats on that?

- As others said, game balls to Hopkins and Flaco.
- On to the Bears .... a winnnable game. Will we win it??!!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Imagine if they had none of the injuries.

....or even 20-25% fewer of the injuries.
This team was/is stacked as well as any front-runner in the league.
I truly believe that CLE's 2023 injury history has been the primary difference between their 8-5 record and BAL's 10-3... and nothing else.

Baltimore essentially had the same thing going on last year (I'd argue moreso since their roster all healthy is essentially the same).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O

Jack Conklin injury feels like it was seasonS ago.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
it was, its just a new one for this year..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
I hope we scour the PS around the league for another tackle... i can't fathom Hudson in a playoff game

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888

I think this is the most balanced take on the QB situation I've seen in this thread - it does two things simultaniously: 1. Acknowledges that Joe isn't some 38 year old super hero coming to lead the Browns anywhere in the future and there's every chance he'll stumble in games before this season is out. All things being equal I would MUCH rather roll with DW next season. 2. It acknowleddges that DW has been a big disappointment and woefully underperformed versus any expectations fans could have - even those wanting to make excuses for truly abysmal performances based on 'RUST'. People seem to conviniently forget just how much time DW had with the team the season he missed 11 games, how much work he alledgedly did to be 'ready' even before that, how very badly he played as a result ... and Joe comes in and plays after wat, a week? 10-12 days? and he looked 'just about good enough' in week 2.

None of which relates to DW's baggage and any of my emotions regarding him and the trade. It's a pretty simple comp based on what he's done in a Brown's Uni and what Flaco has done/looked in 2 games. Someone pointed to DW being 5-1 this year - which is true. I'd like to point out in 3 of those games, Cinci scored 3 points. Titans scored 3 points. Cardinals scored 0 points. So keep things in perspective.

2 very reasonable takes. I don't disagree, but I do wonder if there's something to the argument that 1 type of QB meshes a little more with KS, and the other doesn't. We kinda saw the same thing with Brisset last season. QBs that throw an accurate ball to the right person at the right time seem to play above their assumed level, while QBs (despite being clearly more talented) that maybe like to freelance a bit more... it just never looks smooth out there. I sometimes got the same feeling watching Watson play as I did OBJ that somethings just weren't clicking.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just not quite sure how anyone can suggest that it may be the HC who doesn't work well with a QB who you yourself said is obviously "freelancing". The very term freelancing means he's working outside of what the play that's actually being called is and what the HC's game plan calls for. Now if you were to suggest that QB's perform better when they maintain control and work within the system and playbook without freelancing, to me that would make more sense.

And that seems to be a theme with watson to this point. I'm certainly not suggesting that Flacco is a better QB but one clear difference, at least to my untrained eye, is that when a play breaks down or nobody is open, Flacco doesn't worry so much about his stats. He'll simply throw the ball away and live for another day/play. It may hurt his pass completion percentage but it doesn't lead to a sack or an int. He seems to remain very calm under pressure.

With watson it's as if he feels he's carrying the entire weight of the team on his shoulders. That come hell or high water he just HAS TO make something happen on every down. And while on the surface that seems like a admirable quality, in execution it has led to putting the team in down and distance situations that are not good and injuries. It seems to me that if he could just calm down a little and not play hero ball on every down it would put the O in a better position.

Maybe it's the outside pressure and he feels he's in a situation he has to show greatness. Maybe he feels that this contract will determine his entire future. I'm really not an expert enough to be qualified to read someone's thoughts that way. But it almost seems like he's trying so hard it's counterproductive when he plays. He was certainly improving before his injury and I'm sure we all hope he continues down that path upon his return.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
j/c:

Do you all think Berry, Stefanski, and DePo will get their extensions during the remainder of the season, the playoffs, or the offseason????

Maybe I'll make a poll.

No matter the date, it will be one day before mac ends up on the psych ward. grin

Sometimes fate finds a way.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So we're going to credit FATE with it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Always money:

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
It is time to get over the money thing. As long as the team is competitive and wins games, it doesn't matter how the salary cap money is disbursed.

And the draft picks too, right? I mean nobody should actually consider ROI.

That's like saying that it shouldn't matter that you paid 75k for a 1997 Impala because you can still manage to get to work.

To be fair, 1997 Impalas don't exist. I own a 96, and they were discontinued by GM after that year until they brought it back in 2000 with the FWD version. Sorry just being an Impala nerd lol

P
Legend
Legend
P
Considering the fact watson hasn't been available to take the field for most games since he's been here may make my comparison even more appropriate. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
With watson it's as if he feels he's carrying the entire weight of the team on his shoulders. That come hell or high water he just HAS TO make something happen on every down. And while on the surface that seems like a admirable quality, in execution it has led to putting the team in down and distance situations that are not good and injuries. It seems to me that if he could just calm down a little and not play hero ball on every down it would put the O in a better position.

This!

My belief is Watson is trying too hard to live up to the contract, getting his personal issues behind him, and the normal pressure of making the playoffs directing a talented offense.

While in Houston, I am not sure how much free-lancing Watson had under Bill O'Brien. He might have more options under Stefanski and is trying to get comfortable going through his reads.

I believe Watson simply needs to string 4-6 games together. The offense was designed around DeSean and everyone is new to it. Watson starts getting comfortable and gets hurt.

With as much talent as was on this team at the beginning of the season, the Browns are still successful with average QB play after all the injuries. That in of itself is remarkable.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Joe was meshing with the system just like you said fir the reasons you said. On time throws to the right read at a spot. I think reading the D is a part of that.

I don't know why DW has struggled. A 38 yr old immobile QB had shown us that rust shouldn't be that big a deal... The mental aspect of what he's dealt/dealing with has to be a factor. Beyond that I just don't know.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Maybe I'll make a poll.

Since none of you can tell us what Depo does, because none of you "boys" have a clue....he made his name in BASEBALL, not football.

The Browns are not playing BASEBALL any longer, especially on defense. Stefanski and Haslam were not about to talk someone like new Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz to take a job in Cleveland under the leadership of someone who was a record setter like Depodesta, who broke the Browns record for judging talent and showing Browns fans what his Baseball leadership could do for a once proud NFL franchise, our Browns, logging a record 1 win and 31 losses in his first two years working for the Browns.

Let us not forget that Depo takes credit for the Watson deal...imo, those two of the worst stains in Browns history, in part due to Depo's superior Baseball judgement.

Depodesta will be gone before I am, so you folks can hope all you want...not gonna happen. What we are experiencing this season is what Real Football is supposed to look like...it's a struggle and it's a fight, well worth waging...enjoy it, knowing that Depo is not front and center with his superior baseball knowledge..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2048918 12/12/23 09:37 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Depo gets paid by Haslam- if he wasn't earning his money I think he'd be gone- you know better. This TEAM has surely surprised many of us. How can you lose so many starters AND backups and still be winning games. The front office should get kudos too- finding folks who somehow get low individual grades- yet keep solid starters from other teams contained. WOW- HC and his bunch......hats off to you and yours- lastly, players are not bitching at each other - do your job- so far it is working.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Depo became a Baseball guy. He was a numbers nerd or something. They are using his same concept on football. Something like that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_DePodesta

Joe Thomas #73
mac #2048964 12/12/23 02:33 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
j/c:

Maybe I'll make a poll.

Since none of you can tell us what Depo does, because none of you "boys" have a clue....he made his name in BASEBALL, not football.

The Browns are not playing BASEBALL any longer, especially on defense. Stefanski and Haslam were not about to talk someone like new Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz to take a job in Cleveland under the leadership of someone who was a record setter like Depodesta, who broke the Browns record for judging talent and showing Browns fans what his Baseball leadership could do for a once proud NFL franchise, our Browns, logging a record 1 win and 31 losses in his first two years working for the Browns.

Let us not forget that Depo takes credit for the Watson deal...imo, those two of the worst stains in Browns history, in part due to Depo's superior Baseball judgement.

Depodesta will be gone before I am, so you folks can hope all you want...not gonna happen. What we are experiencing this season is what Real Football is supposed to look like...it's a struggle and it's a fight, well worth waging...enjoy it, knowing that Depo is not front and center with his superior baseball knowledge..!

Never change.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think people need to step back a little about Joe. Yes he is playing well, and he looks good in this offense. But a lot of this has to do with no film on him in this offense. Trust me, teams are going to find his weakness and tendencies, and things could change. I hope he can adjust when they do.

My concern is more with the defense and the injuries there. To make a serious push, this defense needs to get healthy.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Oh, absolutely, but it's still nice to see ANY QB come in and actually pick up the offense, knock off the rust, and look decent in under 18 months.

As for the rest... the defense and the OLine is what will be our undoing, if anything. We're down to what... our 4th string RT and 2nd or 3rd string LT? I don't even know anymore. Add in backup Center and the praise for Teller & Bitonio just cannot be high enough for what they're doing. The DLine rotation just took a major hit with Mo Hurst going to IR and our secondary is a shadow of its early season self.

I honestly don't know if we have enough guys to get healthy that haven't already gone to IR.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The main reason we won:

Mark Sanchez did not announce the game.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Bottom line:

Mark Sanchez not announcing this game was one of the key reasons we won.

<Gulp> Sanchez is back this week. The NFL throwing everything they can at the Browns to derail the season!

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Damn it, I spoke too soon

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Bottom line:

<Gulp> Sanchez is back this week. The NFL throwing everything they can at the Browns to derail the season!

The NFL is fixed.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Bottom line:

The NFL is fixed.

Like Actor's out on loan? A dog without a bone?

[Linked Image]

2nd String
2nd String
Look at what the Patriots got away with. Anyone who thinks the NFL is on the level needs to rethink and do a little research.

O
Legend
Legend
O
MAC

Don’t lose your mind over analytics again. DEPO built this team. Helped, anyway.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
His brain is squirmin' like a toad

P
Legend
Legend
P
Take a long holiday
Let your children play

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 31 Jaguars 27 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard