Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
Exactly Bone that is what I was trying to say. DW will have to adjust his game somewhat because of his injuries and getting older. A power pitcher in Baseball would have to adjust his game possibly because of an injury or just the aging process.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
According to your own post the "structure" according to Stefanski is "the offense would run through what works best for DW". Now you claim that process should be evolving? Which one is it? Because that very quote from Stefnaski is the exact reason I say that DW's style won't be changing.

You don't pay a QB 230 million guaranteed for his success and skill set only to try to change his style into something it's not. And even Stefanski said as much.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Ultimately the goal is to win games.

There are plays with Flacco that are working well with the same pass catchers that did work as well with DW.

A coach should not ignore that. DW will be the starter next year. He also should not ignore that. He is a witness to that success. When the off season begins you evaluate the season and form plans for next year.

Maybe I did not make myself clear when I used the word "structure." Structure is not the offense. What I mean by structure is a given play design. When a play breaks down players are coached to respond differently than if the original play is executed. The play goes into adlib mode. "Off structure."

DW because of his athleticism can extend plays. In the past it is something he has relied upon to make plays. Sometimes using his legs or finding a receiver who has adjusted to the extended play.

Players age. After an injury they may have to adjust to not playing as they once did. I cannot say what DW will do. Players have to evolve as age and injury catches up to them.

As a season goes along some plays get thrown away and new ones added. When this season began there were plays designed for Moore behind the LOS. They never worked and were discarded.

When next off season begins KS and DW will go over what was learned from this season. Hopefully the playbook will evolve from this years experience.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 22,538
Likes: 176
L
Legend
Offline
Legend
L
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 22,538
Likes: 176
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Exactly Bone that is what I was trying to say. DW will have to adjust his game somewhat because of his injuries and getting older. A power pitcher in Baseball would have to adjust his game possibly because of an injury or just the aging process.
getting older?? he's 28 years old for god's sake


Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
I hope DW is watching and learning too. His legs aren't what they used to be and he's gonna have to play in structure more and more if he wants success


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38,620
Likes: 823
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38,620
Likes: 823
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I hope DW is watching and learning too. His legs aren't what they used to be and he's gonna have to play in structure more and more if he wants success


Right, but no 2 QB's are the same. Some run better, some see the field better, some have better arms, some better touch.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
I agree that is why each case is different.

We don't know what he will play like. We have an idea based upon what we have seen. I have seen qb's evolve during their careers and we may be witnessing cases this year. Baker is playing well. Lamar has gotten way better throwing the ball.

DW will tell his own story. He is a motivated, competitive, talented player. We shall see.

NEXT YEAR.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 70,654
Likes: 510
well, DW certainly doesn't see the field like Flacco has thus far (or maybe Flacco has a better idea of what defenses are doing pre snap). DW seems much more slow with his eyes IMO


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,135
Likes: 223
W
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,135
Likes: 223
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
They are two totally different styles of QB. Expecting one to turn into the other one or vice versa is not going to happen.

Hence why a person may remain leery of Ski.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Except KS has won with both and with DTR and PJ and Baker, and Jacoby.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
When yu have two totally different styles of QB's plays that work well with one very well may not work for the other and vice versa. That's not how any of this works. I'm going with exactly what Stefanski said and you posted which you seem to be walking back now. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of both QB's. Anyone who watches the NFL knows that HC's don't install the same game plan and plays for QB's like DW as they do QB's like Flacco.

Sorry but I'm going to have to take Kevin's word on this over yours.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,882
Likes: 185
KS is a good coach. What Bone just pointed out on his last post is true. How many coaches can adapt and adjust to 5 different Quarterbacks like he has? I’ve questioned his play calling too but that’s what all fans of any team do. He’s won me over as a very good coach!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
They are two totally different styles of QB. Expecting one to turn into the other one or vice versa is not going to happen.

Hence why a person may remain leery of Ski.

Then they weren't paying attention to watson's last couple of games. Things were coming together nicely.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
I am not walking anything back.

I tried to make myself clear. Apparently I did not.


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
It was quite clear. You quoted Stefanski and then said you think he will not do it the way he said he would. You have claimed on one hand that watson's shoulder injury was expected o heal 100% and on the other hand claimed he should change his style because "28 is old". Now I understand that's how you feel but none of that adds up to me. I take Stefanski's word that he will build the O around watson's strengths and not modify it based on what a totally different style of QB has done.

I just find some of your message confusing. You have claimed all along that Stefanski has shown the ability to adapt his system to get the most out of all of his QB's. Now you seem to indicate that he at least somewhat adapt a QB to fit his system. The actual QB they paid 230 million guaranteed to for what he had accomplished playing the style and way he does naturally. So it sounds as though you think that no matter how well Stanfanski has done at adapting to each of his QB's styles, or lack there of as the case may be, he should now do things differently.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,631
Likes: 1048
I am not going to argue.

You don't get what I made clear. I will leave it at that.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
Likes: 83
T
Legend
Offline
Legend
T
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 15,979
Likes: 83
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
There appears to be a drop off when Ward is out. Not so much with Delpit. They are quality backups.
I thought teams pick on Denzell Ward whenever he is in, and I witnessed it this game too. 2 ten yard catches

His individual game threat is top notch but the whole group functions better when he's out.
the prevailing opinion of Ward's effectiveness has him overrated imo.
Teams pick on him when he's in and can't complete a pass when he's out, but he's better than average when he actually does make a play.


Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,858
Likes: 276
L
Legend
Offline
Legend
L
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,858
Likes: 276
Whatever.
Small potatoes, bone and pit because we made it to the party and we can beat anybody.


[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
2 members like this: JimDawg, EveDawg
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 68,327
Likes: 1369
You made it perfectly clear and I get exactly what you're saying. I just disagree with it. Just because someone disagrees with you based the the words of the HC doesn't mean it's an argument.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 207
F
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
F
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,262
Likes: 207


They have had these pretty much all season

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,859
Likes: 642
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,859
Likes: 642
Had the chance to go to the game. Man, the stadium was rocking. I lost my voice and it took a couple days for it to come back. Chubb busting the guitar set the tone. What a hell of a time.


Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 263
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 263
Happy you had a chance to go. The stadium environment looked amazing.

1 member likes this: FATE
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 11,522
Likes: 1869
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Had the chance to go to the game. Man, the stadium was rocking. I lost my voice and it took a couple days for it to come back. Chubb busting the guitar set the tone. What a hell of a time.

My voice was shot for three days. The whole city was electric. Didn't plan on going. Got a call with last minute tickets and skipped out on a family party. I went from thinking I would be watching on delay to sitting two rows from the field behind the edge of the Browns bench on the 25. Watched grown men with tears in their eyes as the final minutes ticked away. Haven't had that feeling since the Cavs clinched their first trip to the finals and I sat down close to the court... with the same brand of peeps that have invested so much of their lives rooting for something they felt they may never see.

What a night. Having pride for a team that claws and fights for everything beats the [censored] out of this ridiculous cycle of trying to live up to expectations, and the incessant bitching and moaning along the way. Having a blast "kicking this can" down the road.


HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: dawglover05, Milk Man
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 37 Jets 20 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5