Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2052938 01/01/24 02:25 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This is a question that I have not been able to find out.

Today the Playoff bracket for the AFC is this:

2.) seed Dolphins versus 7.) seed Colts

3.) seed KC versus 6.) seed Bills

4.) seed Jags versus 5.) seed Browns

=======================================================

If the Colts win, The Bills win, and Browns win

The Browns would then become in essence the 2 seed.

Would that mean we host the Bills and the Colts play the Ravens?

bonefish #2052939 01/01/24 02:28 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Haven't yet plugged any scenarios in .... but there is this

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

The more things change the more they stay the same.
bonefish #2052940 01/01/24 02:45 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish

Yes. In this scenario the Browns would host the #6 seed (Bills in your scenario) and the Ravens would host the #7 seed (Colts in your scenario).

While there is no reseeding in the NFL playoffs, the host of each game is determined by seeding number, not position in the bracket. After the wild-card games are completed, the matchups of the divisional playoffs feature the lowest remaining seed in each conference traveling to the highest remaining seed and the second-lowest remaining seed traveling to the second-highest remaining seed.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-playoff-format-how-does-the-nfl-postseason-work

bonefish #2052941 01/01/24 02:48 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
This is a question that I have not been able to find out.

Today the Playoff bracket for the AFC is this:

=======================================================

In that seeding with that scenario-Yes

bonefish #2052943 01/01/24 03:11 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I just want to know which day/time we play as I'll be traveling to Vegas that weekend.

No Craps Given
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Then that would be probably be the best case.

That would be the only way to get a home game.

bonefish #2052947 01/01/24 03:26 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Then that would be probably be the best case.

That would be the only way to get a home game.

Not the only way. The Browns could be the road team for both the WC and Divisional rounds and host the AFC Championship. Very unlikely, but possible.

Example using your standings:

WC Round -

Divisional Round -

7.) Colts at 1.) Ravens

5). Browns at 3.) KC

AFC Championship -

7.) Colts at 5.) Browns

Milk Man #2052950 01/01/24 03:40 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Damn that would be the way to go.

Beat the Jags, KC, and Colts.

Then on to the Super Bowl. I like that scenario.

Divisional Round -

7.) Colts at 1.) Ravens

5). Browns at 3.) KC

AFC Championship -

7.) Colts at 5.) Browns

Milk Man #2052951 01/01/24 03:50 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

bonefish #2052953 01/01/24 04:46 PM
Legend
Legend
I'll be surprised if we aren't heading to Jacksonville

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #2052954 01/01/24 04:49 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
2023 NFL Playoff Scenarios: Who's in, tiebreakers after Week 17 games
Updated Dec. 31, 2023 11:46 p.m. GMT-5

Only one full week remains in the 2023 season. A handful of teams have already secured a spot in the postseason, while plenty of playoff berths and seeding remain to be decided.

Here's how the AFC and NFC playoff races are shaping up, with four Sunday afternoon and evening games not yet concluded.

AFC DIVISION LEADERS
West: Kansas City (10-6) has clinched the division.
East: Miami (11-5) is currently ahead of Buffalo (10-6) for the division lead and has already clinched a playoff berth. The two play each other next week and the winner will clinch the division.
South: Jacksonville, Indianapolis and Houston are tied at 9-7, but Jacksonville owns the head-to-head over Indianapolis and is ahead of Houston on tiebreakers despite the two splitting the series. The Jaguars will clinch the division if they win next week against the Titans. If the Jaguars lose, the winner of next week's matchup between the Colts and the Texans will win the division.
North: Baltimore (13-3) has clinched the division.

AFC WILD CARD
Cleveland has already clinched a playoff berth and will be a wild-card participant.

Buffalo is currently the second wild card at 10-6; the Bills can still win their division if they defeat the Dolphins next week.*Buffalo can still make the playoffs as a wild-card participant with loss against the Dolphins next week if either the Steelers or Jaguars lose as well.

Indianapolis is currently in the third wild-card spot at 9-7; the Colts can still win their division but would need the Jaguars to lose and also defeat the Texans next week. *The Colts are currently ahead of the Texans due to owning the head-to-head result against them and are ahead of the Steelers due to also owning the head-to-head against them.

Houston (9-7) and Pittsburgh (9-7) are each in the hunt and are mathematically still in play for a wild-card spot.*The Texans are ahead of the Steelers due to owning the head-to-head against them.*The Steelers are ahead of the Bengals due to sweeping them in the regular season.*The Steelers will make the wild card if they win AND the Dolphins win next week, or if they win AND the Titans win.*The Steelers can make the wild card if they lose, but would need the Titans to win next week AND the Broncos to win as well.

Denver, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Tennessee, New York, Los Angeles and New England have been eliminated from playoff contention.

AFC NO. 1 SEED

Baltimore has clinched the No. 1 overall seed.

NFC DIVISION LEADERS
West: San Francisco (11-4) has clinched the division.
East: Dallas (11-5) is currently ahead of Philadelphia (11-5) due to having a better record in common games; if both teams win next week, Dallas will clinch the division. The Cowboys play the Commanders and the Eagles face the Giants. Both teams have already clinched a playoff berth.
South: Tampa Bay and New Orleans are both 8-8 at the top of the division, but the Buccaneers will clinch the division next week with a win. If the Buccaneers lose and the Saints win next week, the Saints will win the division.
North: Detroit (11-5) has clinched the division.

NFC WILD CARD
Philadelphia (11-5) has clinched a playoff berth and will at worst be a wild-card participant. (Dallas can still win the NFC East, as mentioned above).
The Los Angeles Rams have already clinched a playoff berth.
Green Bay is currently the third wild-card participant at 8-8 and will clinch a playoff berth if it wins next week.
Seattle (8-8), New Orleans (8-8), Minnesota (7-9) and Atlanta (7-9) are each in the hunt and are mathematically still in play for a wild-card spot.*Seattle is ahead of New Orleans based on conference record. *Minnesota is ahead of Atlanta due to owning the head-to-head.
Chicago, New York, Washington, Arizona and Carolina have been eliminated from playoff contention.

NFC NO. 1 SEED
San Francisco has clinched the No. 1 overall seed.

Tiebreakers (two clubs)
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory in all games.
Strength of schedule in all games
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
Tiebreakers (three or more clubs)

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after one-or-more clubs are eliminated during any step, tiebreaker restarts at step 1 of two-club format. If three clubs remain tied after a fourth club is eliminated during any step, tiebreaker restarts at step 1 of three-club format.)

ADVERTISEMENT
To learn more visit this link
Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory in all games.
Strength of schedule in all games.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

bonefish #2052956 01/01/24 06:00 PM
Legend
Legend
my best guess as to what it will be:

1. Baltimore
2. Buffalo (I think they beat Miami in week 18)
3. Kansas City
4. Jacksonville
5. Cleveland
6. Miami
7. Houston (I think they beat Indy in week 18)

I can see Miami beating KC, which means we MIGHT end up playing at Buffalo if we can pull off a win in JAX

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Sometimes for reasons that are unexplainable some kind of cosmic mojo happens and the stars align.

This could be one of those happenings. Looking back over this 2023 football season. It has been more than strange.

Here we are at 11-5 the 5th seed. But the journey to get here. Geez. There is no way even with a genuine gypsy fortune teller could you foresee how we did it.

We end up with a Thursday game and then bye week to heal and prepare. The Bengal game means nothing.

Then we play the winner of the South. A division we played this year and beat every team.

After that we actually have a path to host the AFC title game. That is really wild. In addition we have already beaten the AFC and NFC top seeds the Ravens and Niners.

After all the misery the Browns have gone through since 1964 when we last won the NFL championship.

Could this unlikely season be the year of the Cleveland Browns?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

I agree, I can't see them losing to the Titans either.

Watching their offensive line just basically get manhandled the entire games yesterday just showed me a team that has quit and has mailed in it for the year.

bonefish #2052961 01/01/24 07:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I agree... Tennessee is done. In fact, I'm not sure they ever got started lol

bonefish #2052962 01/01/24 07:34 PM
Legend
Legend
just saw a hypothetical betting line of Jacksonville -2.5 vs Cleveland ... I assume each team we could play would be a similar line

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just saw a hypothetical betting line of Jacksonville -2.5 vs Cleveland ... I assume each team we could play would be a similar line

I would prefer to play as the underdog, although that hasn't seemed to matter with Flacco.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Psydeffect

I would prefer to play as the underdog, although that hasn't seemed to matter with Flacco.
IMO, we are better than any of the 3 that we'll see in the first round. That obviously doesn't mean that we will win, but we have an advantage in that we've beaten all 3.

Our strength is our DL and secondary. Jacksonville is thin on the OL and is missing Kirk/Agnew now. That's gotta be the team we hope to play IMO

bonefish #2052975 01/01/24 10:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree that we are better than any team in the AFC South. Stroud probably scares me the most since he can get hot and light up the scoreboard.

But we are Browns fans, you always brace yourself for the big let down. I do believe this team is better than that, but many many times when I have felt the Browns are better and felt confident they have let me(us) down. So I'm just going to be the cautious optimist each and every week.

Legend
Legend
many times when I have felt the Browns are better and felt confident they have let me(us) down. So I'm just going to be the cautious optimist each and every week.

I've lived in this space for years too, Psyde. I guess we all have.
And that's why I've taken up a new mantra:

"Anticipate nothing, and just enjoy the ride."

This season has been so crazy, so unpredictable, I'm willing to just ride it out with this team for however long this roller coaster runs. And no matter how it ends, I'll be glad that I finally have a team in O&B that has kept me on the edge of my seat for an entire season. We Dawgs have been so starved for this for so long, this entire season has felt like a fever dream. I'm trying my hardest to not project, predict or prognosticate. Just let it come to me, and enjoy the drama. Tryna get my 'zen' on...because it's the only way my ancient heart can stand it.

Banged-up Brownies seal the postseason with a 4-win streak... and a 1-game reg season cushion.
Damn, this sure is fun.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: Psydeffect
bonefish #2052985 01/02/24 12:35 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Its either Jax or Indy. Honestly don’t know which I’d prefer. After that, who knows. I don’t fear anyone other than the Ravens. I would not be surprised to win or lose against anyone.

But I’m reasonably confident the AFC championship is in Baltimore. Would be shocked if they exit before then. They’re the most complete team in the league playing at their best at the perfect time. If we get there that would be the most incredible moment. Dare to dream.

What an exciting few weeks we’ve got before us. So many threads to follow this weekend. Actually having a reason to pay attention in January! What a novel concept!

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
bonefish #2052987 01/02/24 02:23 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Is it accurate that the only game Browns could host would be the AFC Championship..... and several chips would have to fall their way?

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Legend
Legend
We *could* host a divisional game IF the 6 seed upsets the 3 seed and the 7 seed upsets the 2 seed

1 member likes this: captainphil
Clemdawg #2052990 01/02/24 08:46 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Hard to explain the feeling today. The way this season has unfolded was so unpredictable that it has left me like a man wearing iron armour.

It doesn't matter who we play. "Bring it on."

One thing that I have learned from post season sports. The word favorites does not mean much.

Games take on their own personality. Anything can happen.

The Browns have all the elements to win games. They have proven it all year. They do not back down. Their defense can humble any team. Now they have an offense that can strike quickly. Hopefully Hopkins and Bojorquez will heal up. They have made the kicking game reliable.

When a team has gone through what the Browns have and come out the other side. They have no fear.

They were forged for what is coming.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
bonefish #2053000 01/02/24 11:37 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Unless there is a Monday night game , which I don't think there is...we will know Sunday evening. That is good enough for me. No use speculating every scenario.

We will probably play the Jags. Maybe Saturday. Maybe Sunday. Time...does it really matter? I would prefer 1:00.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #2053004 01/02/24 11:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Side bar: I've been playing with the ESPN Playoff Machine.

I cannot find a scenario where we are not the #5 Seed following Week 18, regardless of any outcomes. We gain absolutely nothing by winning in Week 18; we lose absolutely nothing in a loss. Not even Draft position is affected.
I cannot find a scenario where we do not play the winner of the AFC South in the Wild Card round.

I fully expect that we will be resting EVERYONE against Cinci (talk about a Mega-Bye... getting a rest week after a TNF game).
If Jacksonville wins, they're it. They're playing Tennessee, and they're playing for the division, so you can almost bank on it.
If JAX loses, we'll be playing the winner of HOU-IND.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

bonefish #2053012 01/02/24 01:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Yeah we are locked into 5 no matter what ... couple that with the mini-bye of last week and we should be as healthy as possible

bonefish #2053033 01/02/24 05:55 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
only reason we would have to play sunday is if we were worried about rust after an extended time off. I don't think its worth the risk, I wouldn't play anyone in the top 2 in depth. Except hopkins if he can go, let him get his 5 points and break the record.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: oobernoober
L
Legend
Legend
L
We had an early bye, rust isn’t the issue in fact it’s far from it. Rest the key starters, I want to see Flacco, our OL, Garrett, Ward, JOK, Amari on the sidelines in sweats. Call up the PS guys.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

Praying for the Jags to lose and Houston to win... would love to watch my browns in the playoffs up close!

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
we're locked into the 5th seed... this week does not matter... we should not play any of our starters this weekend

<><

#gmstrong
bonefish #2053055 01/02/24 10:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Instead of full rest, I could see treating it like a preseason game and giving the starters just one or two series just to keep 'em sharp, then go all backups the rest of the way.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Instead of full rest, I could see treating it like a preseason game and giving the starters just one or two series just to keep 'em sharp, then go all backups the rest of the way.

I'd be good with that too... either way, our starters should basically get a weekend off...

<><

#gmstrong
bonefish #2053061 01/03/24 01:19 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
i want no part of the texans with stroud at QB

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
bonefish #2053080 01/03/24 09:30 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree. The more I've thought of it, the more I'm OK with going to Jacksonville.

When we went to Indy, their offense diced us up and Steichen is a great schemer (plus, their crowd is really good)

Jacksonville has the best QB, but a little banged up, not playing as great, etc

O
Legend
Legend
O
Jacksonville has the best QB, but a little banged up, not playing as great, etc

We handled them without Ward.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
bonefish #2053104 01/03/24 12:04 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some coaches lean into the momentum aspect which means they wish to keep the momentum going by playing their starters in such a situation. Some believe it's best to rest the starters to eliminate the injury risk involved. With the way this season has gone I would side with letting them rest.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2053110 01/03/24 12:51 PM
Legend
Legend
I think perhaps a hybrid approach would be good. The guys that are REALLY banged up should just sit. The ones that are just normal end-of-season banged up should get a series or two. Basically, everyone that is on the injury report, or has been within the last three weeks, should sit. Everyone else, give them a couple of series and then rotate in the backups and get them some full-speed game time.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
One thing that maybe should be noted is in regards to Flacco. He gets 75k for every game he plays in. Not a lot of money in NFL terms I know but then he isn't getting paid much this year. So if he doesn't take at least one snap he loses out on that 75k. I would hope the Browns would at least allow him to get that money for all he has done for them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2053114 01/03/24 01:49 PM
Legend
Legend
Oh, that's an interesting tidbit. Then, I'd hope that, at a minimum, he takes the first offensive snap so he is listed as another Game Started.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL 2023 Post Season Playoff Seeds

Link Copied to Clipboard