Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Well steve has not been right about a lot of things.

He has tried to put a noose on the neck of KS in damn near every post he has written.

Don't see any posts any more.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I dunno Bone...I think BOTH steve AND Memphis were correct on their Njoku takes...it's just that Njoku has become the player we were waiting for - and paying for.

I am still leery of Ski...HOWEVER...it would be impossible to NOT give him tremendous credit for what is happening now...really this entire season.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
Legend
Legend
Not here to pick on steve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Njoku has been a good player. It is only recently that he is getting the targets. He has had his drops but he has always played hard and blocked well.

This year he is getting the ball.

I have said many times that play calling is way more complex than run or pass.

Plays can break down and defenses can make plays. That does not always mean the play call was bad. Sure he has made questionable calls. But when you call a game that will always be the case.

In regards to being a Head Coach I am not leery at all. He is a leader and he is damn good at scheming an offense to the players he has. He has proven that since his first day as the coach of the Browns. He has gotten the best from his players. Especially the quarterbacks he has coached with the Browns.

He deserves COY. He will win it.

I am thrilled that Stefanski and Berry are going to be in charge for the foreseeable future.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If after this season in its entirety you're still leery about Stefanski my guess is you always will be. The albatrosses that were P.J Walker and DTR as his selection at the backup QB position were not of his doing.

If you look at the legitimate starters he was given to work with watson was 5-1 and Flacco so far is 4-1.

I'm not sure what more someone should expect to convince them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish

In regards to being a Head Coach I am not leery at all. He is a leader and he is damn good at scheming an offense to the players he has. He has proven that since his first day as the coach of the Browns. He has gotten the best from his players. Especially the quarterbacks he has coached with the Browns.

We talk about the tightness of this team. This isn't something that is new to just this year. Stefanski started this when he was hired. On the zoom calls during the Covid year, he worked on team building ideas.

Stef team building

There is a ton that goes into being a leader, especially when it's your first time in this role. There are trials and errors. I won't get into much more, but even not being in the locker room, I could see a lot of qualities I could relate to.

EDIT: the difference with this team
- growth of former leaders (Miles, Njoku, etc)
- key FA/pick ups who lead by example or great teammates (Z. Smith, Harris, etc)
- DC Schwartz bringing the defense together

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 12/29/23 02:57 PM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
If after this season in its entirety you're still leery about Stefanski my guess is you always will be. The albatrosses that were P.J Walker and DTR as his selection at the backup QB position were not of his doing.

If you look at the legitimate starters he was given to work with watson was 5-1 and Flacco so far is 4-1.

I'm not sure what more someone should expect to convince them.

Did you stop reading my comment after the words 'leery of Ski'? It appears ^ that you did.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly did read it. I'm not sure what the rest of your post had to do with your comment that you were still leery of Stefanski though. You said you were still leery of him while giving him credit for this season. I'm not sure how you think saying you give him credit for this season cancels out the fact you claim to still be leery of him.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Should The Cleveland Browns Pick Up Greg Newsome's Fifth Year Option?

It isn’t always just about money, opportunities are key. Someone like Nick Harris likely moves on to a team where he has a shot to compete for the center role compared to the Browns who already have two under contract.

CLEVELAND BROWNS 2024 CORNERBACK ROOM
You expect to see six cornerbacks on the 53-man roster based on how Andrew Berry operates.

Under Contract

Denzel Ward
2024 - $15,924,000 (fully guaranteed)
2025 - $14,076,000 (fully guaranteed)
2026 - $20,000,000 (no guarantees)
2027 - $20,500,000 (no guarantees)

Martin Emerson
2024 - $1,202,390 (no guarantees)
2025 - $1,451,085 (no guarantees)

Greg Newsome
2024 - $2,398,467 (fully guaranteed)

Cameron Mitchell
2024 - $915,000
2025 - $1,030,000
2026 - $1,145,000

Kahlef Hailassie
2024 - $915,000
2025 - $1,030,000
2026 - Restricted Free Agent

Free Agent

Mike Ford - Unrestricted Free Agent

GREG NEWSOME CURRENT DEAL
Here is Greg Newsome's rookie contract, like the majority of first round picks it is fully guaranteed. He is due to be paid $2,398,467 for the 2024 season, the $1,657,955 relates to his signing bonus that was paid to him in his rookie year. This number stays on the Cleveland Browns salary cap regardless of if he is on the team or not.
[Linked Image from s3media.247sports.com]

WHAT IS GREG NEWSOME FIFTH YEAR OPTION WORTH?
According to Over The Cap Greg Newsome's fifth year option will be worth $12,858,000 unless he makes a Pro Bowl this season in which case it will increase to $16,803,000. This has to be as a first ballot Pro Bowler, rather than an alternate that is elevated.

Greg Newsome is a good slot corner but in 2023 when he has had an opportunity to play on the outside he hasn't played quite as well. With the emergence of Martin Emerson it is tough to justify around $13m for your third most talented cornerback.

A decision needs to be made by the 2nd May as this is the deadline for picking up a fifth year option.

So if they aren't going to keep Newsome beyond his rookie deal then maybe trading him in the offseason could be an option.

What Does A Greg Newsome Trade Look Like?

The new team would be acquiring a contract worth $2,398,467 for his rookie season and as long as it is done before the 2nd May they could pick up his fifth year option too. This would allow them to do the trade either during the draft or just after if they manage to add another cornerback during the draft.

It is never easy to assess the trade value of a player, I would guess either a late second or early third is probably what he would get in a move, likely the 50 to 80 range.

WHAT DOES KEEPING ALL THE DEFENSIVE BACKS LOOK LIKE?
If they were to pick up Greg Newsome's 5th year option and sign Emerson to a $15m a year extension next offseason here is a look at what the spend per year under Andrew Berry would look like at defensive back:

2020 - $21,350,710

2021 - $36,638,124

2022 - $40,985,479

2023 - $46,511,364 ($6m of Delpit's extension in here due to it coming early)

2024 - $37,844,857

2025 - $59,792,085

This is based on all the departing players like McLeod, Ford & Bell being replaced with minimum contract UDFAs too when their contracts expire.

The jump in 2025 is massive, you could cut Thornhill here saving around $6m (he is due $7m but you have to add a replacement) but then you need to replace him with a player too. Also is the plan to let Newsome just walk at the end of his 5th year option because you aren't realistically going to extend him as well as keeping Ward too. There has to be an odd man out when you have this much talent at a premium position.

CONCLUSION
For me the Cleveland Browns aren't in a position where they should pick up Newsome's fifth year option because extending Emerson should be the priority instead. This leaves them with two choices either allow him to play out his final year or see what you can get in the trade value.

Play Out Final Year

While some people might say play out the final year and chase a compensation pick, they aren't guaranteed to get one. With how active Andrew Berry tends to be in free agency I would say it is unlikely the Cleveland Browns get anything back in return.

Trading Newsome

While it is nice to have a player of Newsome's level in the slot I am confident that Cam Mitchell can step up and they can then draft another corner who can continue their tradition under Andrew Berry of a deep cornerback room. Adding another pick in the late second and early third could be really useful as they only have two picks in the first three rounds. They really need a tackle and a wide receiver to prepare for the future and this gives them another pick they can use wherever is needed based on the value of the board as it falls.

For me it is a no brainer, if you get the offer then take the trade, ideally you want to get it done this year so you have the 2024 draft pick but if you have to wait an extra year to get a round higher in the draft it is certainly worth it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...sign-running-back-dalvin-cook-224478350/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I think you sign both Emerson and Newsome to long term deals now, backloading a ton like we did with Ward. Give good chunks up front with the first couple of years at more modest salaries, then we restructure Ward for 2026, then if they're still producing we restructure Emerson and Newsome when their time comes. All the while, the CAP is going up and we keep drafting new CBs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Contracts

Link Copied to Clipboard