Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeh, just post what you post and ignore the haters.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
steve is just one of those people who is miserable and looks for misery to wallow in.

Stefanski sucks, Cap hell, Njoku is a bust. Why did we extend him? DW is worthless.

Then when all that trash starts to smell like roses. He disappears because things are going to good to bitch about.

Then he rises to the surface with an angle to dig on.

Next it will be some other distorted stat and how the Browns are a dysfunctional franchise.

Meanwhile this is one of the most fun years we have had no matter what happens.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
"the organization itself is proving that you do not have to have an elite top 5 QB to be a Super Bowl competitor."

The issue with this statement is Flacco has been basically playing like an elite top 5 QB for the past 5 weeks. Over the past 5 weeks he's been top 5 in many stats, and that doesn't include his key throws and etc in games. He's not putting up PJ Walker stats, he's been putting up top of the line stats through 5. So that contradicts that statement.

The other thing is you and the OP do not like Stefanski for various of reasons. Sticking up for Flacco contradicts all the negative things said about Stefanski. A big part of Flacco playing great is b/c of himself. ALSO, Flacco playing great ball is a reflection of Stefanski putting him (and the offense) in a position to succeed. Don't agree? When has the last time Flacco has played anywhere close to this level he has the past 5 games? It's been many years. How many teams passed on picking him up this year? At least a few...how many I won't assume a number.

This whole thread was about taking a shot at DW. Meanwhile, while you are doing that, you are just showing what a damn good coach Stefanski. Which is the other person you both hate. That is confusing and contradicting. All I am seeing is crap being thrown at the wall to see what sticks.

The meme about Flacco vs DW and showing the contracts is silly. You could take Flacco vs Burrow, Rodgers, Wilson, or most of the NFL QBs and show that "gotcha" moment. We are winning games, about to make our third appearance in 20+ years and a couple are more concerned about sucker punching DW and keeping him down than being stoked about the team. DW and his contract have no bearing on teams culture and the rest of this season. When next year hits, his contract won't mean a whole lot either, b/c Berry is a damn good GM and knows how to work contracts and will still bring in players to fill holes.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh I’m aware..

…Cooper is a bad route runner, the annual - we aren’t going to be able to sign any free agents, receivers will not sign with us because Stef’s offense isn’t receiver friendly

And so on and so on.

This is that American Hustle movie clip that fans edit for football. The clip where Bradley Cooper comes busting open the office door and everyone starts celebrating, meanwhile there’s some guy pissed off on the couch. Bradley goes over and mimicking his actions, everyone laughs and the guy goes storming out.

We are all loving the situation, some just aren’t happy

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M
Scotty's on fire!

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just an open question.

Why was Flacco not successful in Denver and NYJ?

Scheme, talent, coach, etc.

I have not heard a good discussion as to why he turned it around.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Woofer, that is a good question. I hope I can add to that conversation once I do some research.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think its because Flacco is playing loose with house money, he doesn't have anything to lose at this point and can just grip and rip.. But funny stat, last time flacco ended the season with almost the exact same stats from W/L to tds and yards etc, was 2012

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So it took him 11 years to re-learn to grip n rip it.

Mhmm.

L
Legend
Legend
L
that don't even make sense..meaning he's doesn't have to worry about job security as in past stops, he's never turned the ball over at the rate he is

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
E
Legend
Legend
E

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Why was Flacco not successful in Denver and NYJ?

Just a guess - but our OL up the middle has been stout for Joe. He's not seeing a lot of pressure come up the middle - Joe's rap as being slow and somewhat statuesque might be as a result of pressure crashing through the middle and Joe not being as nimble/elusive when it's right at him as he drops back... When he's had pressure with the Browns it seems to me to have been from the edge allowing Joe to be less flat footed, and more easily roll one way. He's clearly a strong dude and hard to bring down - but just to me it seems if the pressure is up the middle it's harder for a bigger, less agile guy to dance his way out.

Looking at rosters - In denver Joe was throwing to Courtland Sutton (who I think is decent), Noah Fant (meh), Dionte Spencer (who?), Emanuel Sanders for 7 games and Desean Hamilton (who?).

At the Jets - two years of absolute dross at WR and TE, Jamison Crowder by far the best of the bunch for 1 year. In 2022 Joe was replaced by Zach Wilson after 4 games, He did have rookie Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore that year.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
2 members like this: Ballpeen, ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
I should add - Stefanski got aa lot out of a healthy Baker for his best year (until this year with TB) - KS got the best out of Brisset - and while DW hasn't (to date) been as successful as his time in HOU, you have to think KS is also having a hand in Joe's success this year too.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. For many years I have said a solid 3 in front of the QB is more important than having solid edge players.

A QB can beat an edge rush if he can step up a few feet or slide left or right a few feet. The pressure up the middle is hard to defeat. It can freeze a QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I find it refreshing that the organization itself is proving that you do not have to have an elite top 5 QB to be a Super Bowl competitor.

The problem with a stance like this is that he IS performing like an elite top 5 QB since joining the Browns. Arguably Top 3, IMO. Hell, one could make the argument that no QB has been playing better than Flacco since he joined the Browns.

The Browns are in the position they are in not because of a game manager QB or simply one that doesn't "lose the game for you". Since Flacco has been here, the offensive performance/production has been one of the best in the NFL. Hands down. No question.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, WSU Willie
R
Legend
Legend
R
You can’t be top 3 with all the turnovers he’s had. I think the Browns are winning because of the defense, not the offense, because of those turnovers. But if we are splitting hairs here, the Browns are winning because they’ve found ways to win as a team while developing a culture that doesn’t do exactly what Schwartz mentioned in his presser yesterday…they don’t hang their heads and no one points fingers.

The maturity from this team is something we have not seen in 30 years. And that’s a testament to Kev and the coaching job he’s done this season.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Spot on.

I got a lot from the Schwartz presser and mentioned it in another thread.

There is a unity within this team. They play for a single purpose and they play for each other. No helmets thrown. Nobody in someone else's face.

No matter how this turns out. I am behind this team all the way. One of the best years in memory.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
It all works together. The defense is better because they know Flacco won't let them down even if he has to shake off a mistake or two. They play better because they know we will score points. They don't have to be afraid of every miniscule mistake on their part... that works all the way up through the staff and how they call the game.

I'll turn that inside out for a little food for thought... We wouldn't be where we 're at without Flacco's turnovers. He's left every bad play on the field and came back out firing. Coming off two picks and throwing that dime to Coop to beat the Bears, rush-hour traffic in the secondary be damned. If you didn't know before then -- you know now -- be where the hell you are supposed to be as a WR and he'll light up your stat sheet. And dude showing the fire to put Tillman in his place when he slouched on a route last week just helped to solidify the statement.

One of the things that really goes understated in this league is the synergy between a team's offense and defense and it's exponential effect on success. Neither can be bad, but you can't constantly have one putting the other in a terrible position without doing their part in the redemption department. When you see that on both sides, you truly experience the unity and maturity you speak of.

Just my .02

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Hammer
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree at least to the extent that I certainly don't think people are giving Flacco enough credit. In some cases I think it's his smarts and selflessness that people don't see. On one Int. I saw it was third and long. After scanning the field he threw it long to a WR that was well covered. Now that may look like a bad thing but the fact is the Browns were well within their own territory. They weren't going to go for it on fourth and long in that situation. So what he chose to do was give his WR the opportunity to win the battle for the ball. If the WR lost that battle and the ball was intercepted, that int. worked the same as punting the ball on the next play. I don't think that's a bad play.

On another one we had no kicker. There was 5 seconds on the clock before the half so he threw up a 50/50 ball in the end zone. You either scored on that play or the clock ran out, which it did. Downing the ball or throwing the short pass would have made no sense which we have too often seen in such situations. The only chance to score was a shot at the end zone. I like a QB who uses his head and cares more about situational football than his stat sheet.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
100%

And it comes natural to a dude with that much experience. That thought enters his head as soon as he knows down and distance, even a play or two beforehand. A coaches dream.

Contrast that with trying to beat it into P. J. Walkers head that he cannot throw that ball into a tight window when we have a FG in play. After the second or third time seeing those decisions, I knew he was done.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Another huge piece of the puzzle is the overall talent acquisition of players that are good enough to keep around for more than 2-3 seasons. Take any 4 year span since the return and look at the roster turnover compared to the last 4 years. I'd be willing to bet that not one of those periods comes close. We have a stable of skilled veterans that have been playing under the same HC for 4 seasons. Just look at the pro bowl selections. All but Amari Cooper have been here the for the whole ride. We haven't had this kind of continuity since Marty was the coach. It's to the point now that we can look at one of the few areas of need and Berry will get us the best available vet to fill the void. We also have depth, I've had my worries about this but the players that we've plugged in due to inury have been above serviceable.
We have coaches that are able to keep the players focused and motivated. There is a solid foundation to build upon. Good time to be a Browns fan.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: Ballpeen, FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Another huge piece of the puzzle is the overall talent acquisition of players that are good enough to keep around for more than 2-3 seasons. Take any 4 year span since the return and look at the roster turnover compared to the last 4 years. I'd be willing to bet that not one of those periods comes close. We have a stable of skilled veterans that have been playing under the same HC for 4 seasons. Just look at the pro bowl selections. All but Amari Cooper have been here the for the whole ride. We haven't had this kind of continuity since Marty was the coach. It's to the point now that we can look at one of the few areas of need and Berry will get us the best available vet to fill the void. We also have depth, I've had my worries about this but the players that we've plugged in due to inury have been above serviceable.
We have coaches that are able to keep the players focused and motivated. There is a solid foundation to build upon. Good time to be a Browns fan.

#cultureshift

I've waited so long for this.
For awhile, I was worried that I'd never see it.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know one thing, I hope we keep this “let ‘er rip” mentality on offense going forward, regardless of who is at QB. With this D we can afford it most of the time and I think it’s game changing unless we get a QB that can’t throw to space or hit targets accurately and timely. For the first time since the return, I feel like we have a complete team. Most will say they haven’t felt that in a long time, if ever. I honestly think they can beat anyone and contend annually if we can keep this environment and culture going.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/05/24 08:31 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Good film breakdown of Flacco by Colt McCoy:

Legend
Legend
When it was announced that Cooper would not play. I knew 13 personnel was in play.

That the game plan would revolve around the TE's.

IMO one of the strongest traits of KS is play design to the strengths of the players who are playing.

He never wavers on going to what his guys do best.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
When it was announced that Cooper would not play. I knew 13 personnel was in play.

That the game plan would revolve around the TE's.

IMO one of the strongest traits of KS is play design to the strengths of the players who are playing.

He never wavers on going to what his guys do best.

Except Baker.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Totally disagree.

Baker had his best year under KS. Look back on the offense. It was made for Baker to thrive.

Empty boots to get him into space with open throwing lanes. Clear easy reads. Play action from under center behind Nick to gain time.

He has done it with no matter who plays for him.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker doesn't have a lot of strengths. Not much to play too.

He had two of his worst performances in the last two weeks when TB needed wins to clinch. Good thing they were playing the Panthers today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Baker doesn't have a lot of strengths. Not much to play too.

He had two of his worst performances in the last two weeks when TB needed wins to clinch. Good thing they were playing the Panthers today.

He was also hurt, and it was questionable as to whether he would be able to play or not. His run game has also been utter crap, and his defense has blown a couple of games. He has 28 TD and 10 INT. He's been better than solid, all things considered.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
He’s been the exact same player. I’ve watched almost every snap.

If TB wants to give him a long term deal, good for them. I wouldn’t.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I would not want Baker back either. Tampa will regret giving him a long term deal.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

I would not want Baker back either. Tampa will regret giving him a long term deal.

Depends in the contract, IMO. I think they can (and probably would) do a lot worse than Baker Mayfield. Keeping him in the building while not preventing them from upgrading the position is the play.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Only three of the TB's wins came from teams with winning records. They also played in the worst division by far in the entire NFL where one of their wins against a team with a winning record playing other crappy teams was the Saints.
That said, Baker had a year that will given him a pay increase, most likely.....just glad it is not here in Cleveland.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That sounds a lot like the description of the Texans division and opponents this season. No, baker is no Stroud but there are worse QB's starting in the NFL than Baker. At this point I have no idea what the obsession with him is. At least he led his team to the playoffs. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Only three of the TB's wins came from teams with winning records.

And all 3 of them (NO, GB, Jax) were 9-8. Which is where TB ended up. Good for them for doing enough to win the division, and Baker for doing enough to help them there. But I do not like their chances this week, I think TB is what Philly needs to get back on track. For a week at least.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would describe T. Bay's chances in the playoffs in a very old school way. "Not a dog's chance in hell."

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Same goes for the Steelers.

In an odd way I hope they win. If the Steelers and Fins win. We play at home.

Man I would love to see the Browns get a home game. The stadium would be rocking and rolling.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
🤪 no idea why Baker is the topic. I wish him well and hope he wins, but that's as far as it goes. Other than Evans and Godwin and White I couldn't tell you a thing about that team. I saw three or four plays from the Panthers game ... Panthers D was good or TB OL can't run or pass block that well.

Bone, tha is for showing me there is a reason for taking an interest in the other games. I could see Miami and Pit winning. Pit have less of a chance buy I wouldn't say its beyond possibility.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
Same goes for the Steelers.

In an odd way I hope they win. If the Steelers and Fins win. We play at home.

Man I would love to see the Browns get a home game. The stadium would be rocking and rolling.

In that scenario it would be the Fins coming to Cleveland correct?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Flacco vs. DeShaun Watson 2023

Link Copied to Clipboard