Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Will Deshaun Watson take this up with new OC Ken Dorsey? He reveals 1 big thing he doesn’t like about offensive game plans

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Deshaun Watson might have a little something he’ll want to run by new Browns offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey.

The king of improvising and off-schedule plays, Watson revealed last week on his Lockerverse podcast that he’s not a fan of scripted plays — those 15 or so favorite plays that teams work so hard on all week and then roll out at the beginning of the game.

The revelation came during a discussion with his private quarterbacks coach and podcast co-host Quincy Avery and their guest Cam Newton, the former Super Bowl MVP, on the podcast.

It came in the wake of Newton saying last month on his own 4th and 1 podcast that NFL quarterbacks such as Brock Purdy, Tua Tagovailoa, Jared Goff and Dak Prescott are game managers instead of difference-makers.

Avery wondered if perhaps the careers of both Newton and Watson, both three-time Pro Bowlers, were hurt by the fact they were playmakers instead of game managers. The question gave Watson a chance to get something off his chest that he’s perhaps been holding in for a long time.

“Not necessarily in a full game, but like the first few 15 plays, the first 20 (scripted) plays, you’re trying to play within that, ‘All right, this where the ball usually goes’ as you go throughout the week,” Watson said. “You go throughout the different looks, here, here, here. I’ve never been a fan of that just because I know the other team is going to adjust quick and I’ve got to adjust because they’re not going to play me the same way they do other quarterbacks.”

Watson noted that defenses defend him differently because of all the things he brings to the table on any given play.

“They’re not going play me to same way like Brock Purdy, you feel me?” he said. “And they’re not going to play me the same way like a Tua because I can use my legs, I can run, I do a lot more movement in the pocket, things like that.”

He noted that it sometimes takes him awhile to warm up and figure out how to attack a particular defense. But as the game goes along, his instincts take over, and he’s tough to stop.

“For me, I think like the first half that I’m trying to figure it out, and like I start off slow. But once that third and fourth quarter come around, now you’re just calling your best plays and you’re try to make some s--- work. And your playmakers gotta make plays, especially in that fourth quarter.”

The Browns’ 33-31 victory over the Ravens in Baltimore on Nov. 12 was a case in point. Watson got off to a rocky start, throwing a pick six on the second play of the game and finishing the first quarter 1 of 9 for 19 yards with the pick for a 0.0 passer rating. By halftime, after leaving the field a little early with a high ankle sprain, he was 6 of 20 for 79 yards and the pick for a 22.7 rating.

While getting his ankle taped and treated in the locker room, Watson got destroyed on social media by his critics. Little did he know at the time, he had also suffered a fractured glenoid bone in his right throwing shoulder at some point in the first half that would ultimately cost him the final eight games of the season.

Shaking off both injuries, Watson hobbled out of the locker room to go 14 of 14 in the second half for 134 yards and a TD for a 130.4 rating. All told, he put 24 points on the board in the most incredible half of his Browns career to knock off the arch-rival Ravens. It proved to be one of only four losses for the Ravens in their dominant 13-4 season.

But maybe Watson has a point about scripted plays. The Ravens game was one of two starts in which he threw a pick six on either the first or second play of the game — both on the road against division rivals. The first came in Week 2 in Pittsburgh when he threw a short pass in the left flat to tight end Harrison Bryant, and Alex Highsmith snatched it and ran it back 30 yards for a TD en route to the Steelers’ 26-22 victory.

In Baltimore, Watson looked short left again for a tight end, this time David Njoku, and safety Kyle Hamilton tipped and caught the pass, returning it 18 yards for the TD.

“I was looking at AVP (former offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt) like what the (expletive)?” Watson said during his postgame press conference. “Again? Again, really? Again?”

In a season in which he started only six games, it means he threw a pick six on his opening drive 33.3% of the time. In fact, he put points on the board on his opening drive in only two of those six starts, a field goal on a 12-play march in the 27-3 victory over the Titans in Week 2, and a 69-yard touchdown run by Jerome Ford on the third play of the 39-38 victory over the Colts.

Of course, Watson wasn’t himself in that Colts game in Week 7 because of the strained rotator cuff suffered in Week 2 against the Titans, and threw a pick on the second drive. He was yanked from the game after his fourth possession following another pick that was reversed.

Granted, it’s tough to judge Watson’s performance on scripted plays this past season, because he was never right after taking that big hit at the end of a 10-yard scramble in the third quarter against the Titans.

But one thing is for certain: Joe Flacco, who came in with fresh legs and a fresh arm when the Browns signed him in November, fared much better with the scripted plays, putting opening-drive TDs on the board in four of his five starts, during which the Browns went 4-1.

They were a 24-yard TD pass to Ford to a cap a nine-play drive in the 36-19 loss to the Rams; a 34-yard TD pass to Njoku to finish a six-play drive in the 31-27 victory over the Jaguars; a direct-snap TD run by Ford after a four-play march in the 36-22 victory over the Texas — including a 53-yard bomb to Amari Cooper on the opening play; and a 7-yard TD pass to Ford to clinch a seven- play, 75-yard march in the 37-20 victory over the Jets.

It means Flacco put a TD on the board on his opening drive 80% of the time (4 of 5 starts), compared to 16.67% of the time (1 of 6 starts) for Watson. Again, Watson was never 100% healthy after that hit in Week 2, and is expected to be back to normal for next season.

But if he truly has an issue with scripted plays and hopes to change it up, now is the time to speak up. He has a new coordinator in Dorsey — who may or may not call plays — and he’ll undoubtedly be all ears.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...-w8s20c62CDim5EHrPvjQ9nupZ7suxCIXmeESLcs

Things that make you go hmmmm for $500 Alex.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
There we have it...the pressure of Flacco showing his ability to run Stefanski's "scripted offense" has already gotten under Watson's skin.

JMO, but it seems that Watson will always have an "EXCUSE" if the Browns offense fails to produce WINS with Watson at QB.

There IS NO INCENTIVE for Watson to be anything but selfish millionaire who has "no incentive" to be anything but a "me, me, me" member of the Browns.

Run the offense that Watson desires or face the possibility of an oft injured Watson who uses his contract as leverage over the entire franchise.

It all goes back to the Browns owner and his hand picked Harvard educated staff and their ability to judge QB TALENT..!

Last edited by mac; 01/31/24 01:29 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you do not think that an offense should be centered around what their QB does best? And just think, there's 10k comedians out f work and you're here trying to be funny. But your shtick has grown old and stale.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I also want a viable, legit vet as the QB2 on a team with Super Bowl aspirations...and if THAT creates a QB controversy - or has DW 'looking over his shoulder' - then so be it. None of that means I want Flacco to be the starter.

I don't really have any hard evidence to go on, but I feel like the backup QB situation they set up was a conscious decision. They felt comfortable rolling the dice on some iffy backups in order to get a little extra draft capital out of Dobbs (who didn't give any indication he'd have mitigated our backup situation if he had stayed here). They took a calculated risk and it bit them in the butt.

It'll certainly be interesting to see if they approach that roster spot differently this coming free agency.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Why beat around the bush and not make yourself clear?

Come out of the shadows and say you hate DW and leave it at that.

When you are supposed to judge talent. You are then supposed to take that knowledge and use it.

There is not a football coach alive who does not understand the meaning of getting the most from their players.

In order to do that you put them into situations that give the player the best chance to produce.

You try to insinuate that DW does not want to win. That is you and your thoughts. Not DW.

Why did he play against the Ravens with a broken shoulder? Why did he want to play with the injury when doctors told him that he would be permanently injured?

I do not care if you dislike DW just don't make up BS.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So you do not think that an offense should be centered around what their QB does best? And just think, there's 10k comedians out f work and you're here trying to be funny. But your shtick has grown old and stale.

So you do not think that an offense should be centered around what their QB does best?

Concerning the Browns situation at QB, IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS THE BROWNS STARTING QB...Joe Flacco or Watson.

Legend
Legend
Wrong.

Why would it depend upon the qb?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
Concerning the Browns situation at QB, IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS THE BROWNS STARTING QB...Joe Flacco or Watson.

There is no question about which one is the starting QB. And no matter who your starting QB is you should work your play calling around his strengths. You've simply gone off the deep end.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
There we have it...the pressure of Flacco showing his ability to run Stefanski's "scripted offense" has already gotten under Watson's skin.

Have you bothered to listen to the context of how this all started? Watson's actual comments on the "scripted plays?"

He explains here at the 16min 55 second mark...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac

So you do not think that an offense should be centered around what their QB does best?

So....are assuming PJ Walker and Jeff Driskel are out of the running for the Browns starting QB position?

naughtydevil

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by mac

Have you bothered to listen to the context of how this all started? Watson's actual comments on the "scripted plays?"

He explains here at the 16min 55 second mark...

Context? We don't need no stinkin' context. How can we sling mud and have rumors with context??

Host nailed it: "I think people just look for the negatives in whatever you're saying."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

He's not connecting dots, he's collecting dots.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Seems that others listened to Watson's podcast and question the wisdom behind Watson publicly discussing the fact that he is not a fan of the Browns scripted plays.

The Fan, 92.3 bull and fox show...

bull-fox/deshaun-watson-admits-hes-not-a-big-fan-of-scripte

link

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Will Deshaun Watson take this up with new OC Ken Dorsey? He reveals 1 big thing he doesn’t like about offensive game plans

Story by Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
link

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Deshaun Watson might have a little something he’ll want to run by new Browns offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey.

The king of improvising and off-schedule plays, Watson revealed last week on his Lockerverse podcast that he’s not a fan of scripted plays — those 15 or so favorite plays that teams work so hard on all week and then roll out at the beginning of the game.

The revelation came during a discussion with his private quarterbacks coach and podcast co-host Quincy Avery and their guest Cam Newton, the former Super Bowl MVP, on the podcast.

It came in the wake of Newton saying last month on his own 4th and 1 podcast that NFL quarterbacks such as Brock Purdy, Tua Tagovailoa, Jared Goff and Dak Prescott are game managers instead of difference-makers.

Avery wondered if perhaps the careers of both Newton and Watson, both three-time Pro Bowlers, were hurt by the fact they were playmakers instead of game managers. The question gave Watson a chance to get something off his chest that he’s perhaps been holding in for a long time.

“Not necessarily in a full game, but like the first few 15 plays, the first 20 (scripted) plays, you’re trying to play within that, ‘All right, this where the ball usually goes’ as you go throughout the week,” Watson said. “You go throughout the different looks, here, here, here. I’ve never been a fan of that just because I know the other team is going to adjust quick and I’ve got to adjust because they’re not going to play me the same way they do other quarterbacks.”

Watson noted that defenses defend him differently because of all the things he brings to the table on any given play.
“They’re not going play me to same way like Brock Purdy, you feel me?” he said. “And they’re not going to play me the same way like a Tua because I can use my legs, I can run, I do a lot more movement in the pocket, things like that.”

He noted that it sometimes takes him awhile to warm up and figure out how to attack a particular defense. But as the game goes along, his instincts take over, and he’s tough to stop.

“For me, I think like the first half that I’m trying to figure it out, and like I start off slow. But once that third and fourth quarter come around, now you’re just calling your best plays and you’re try to make some s--- work. And your playmakers gotta make plays, especially in that fourth quarter.”

The Browns’ 33-31 victory over the Ravens in Baltimore on Nov. 12 was a case in point. Watson got off to a rocky start, throwing a pick six on the second play of the game and finishing the first quarter 1 of 9 for 19 yards with the pick for a 0.0 passer rating. By halftime, after leaving the field a little early with a high ankle sprain, he was 6 of 20 for 79 yards and the pick for a 22.7 rating.

While getting his ankle taped and treated in the locker room, Watson got destroyed on social media by his critics. Little did he know at the time, he had also suffered a fractured glenoid bone in his right throwing shoulder at some point in the first half that would ultimately cost him the final eight games of the season.

Shaking off both injuries, Watson hobbled out of the locker room to go 14 of 14 in the second half for 134 yards and a TD for a 130.4 rating. All told, he put 24 points on the board in the most incredible half of his Browns career to knock off the arch-rival Ravens. It proved to be one of only four losses for the Ravens in their dominant 13-4 season.

But maybe Watson has a point about scripted plays. The Ravens game was one of two starts in which he threw a pick six on either the first or second play of the game — both on the road against division rivals. The first came in Week 2 in Pittsburgh when he threw a short pass in the left flat to tight end Harrison Bryant, and Alex Highsmith snatched it and ran it back 30 yards for a TD en route to the Steelers’ 26-22 victory.

In Baltimore, Watson looked short left again for a tight end, this time David Njoku, and safety Kyle Hamilton tipped and caught the pass, returning it 18 yards for the TD.

“I was looking at AVP (former offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt) like what the (expletive)?” Watson said during his postgame press conference. “Again? Again, really? Again?”

In a season in which he started only six games, it means he threw a pick six on his opening drive 33.3% of the time. In fact, he put points on the board on his opening drive in only two of those six starts, a field goal on a 12-play march in the 27-3 victory over the Titans in Week 2, and a 69-yard touchdown run by Jerome Ford on the third play of the 39-38 victory over the Colts.

Of course, Watson wasn’t himself in that Colts game in Week 7 because of the strained rotator cuff suffered in Week 2 against the Titans, and threw a pick on the second drive. He was yanked from the game after his fourth possession following another pick that was reversed.

Granted, it’s tough to judge Watson’s performance on scripted plays this past season, because he was never right after taking that big hit at the end of a 10-yard scramble in the third quarter against the Titans.

But one thing is for certain: Joe Flacco, who came in with fresh legs and a fresh arm when the Browns signed him in November, fared much better with the scripted plays, putting opening-drive TDs on the board in four of his five starts, during which the Browns went 4-1.

They were a 24-yard TD pass to Ford to a cap a nine-play drive in the 36-19 loss to the Rams; a 34-yard TD pass to Njoku to finish a six-play drive in the 31-27 victory over the Jaguars; a direct-snap TD run by Ford after a four-play march in the 36-22 victory over the Texas — including a 53-yard bomb to Amari Cooper on the opening play; and a 7-yard TD pass to Ford to clinch a seven- play, 75-yard march in the 37-20 victory over the Jets.

It means Flacco put a TD on the board on his opening drive 80% of the time (4 of 5 starts), compared to 16.67% of the time (1 of 6 starts) for Watson. Again, Watson was never 100% healthy after that hit in Week 2, and is expected to be back to normal for next season.

But if he truly has an issue with scripted plays and hopes to change it up, now is the time to speak up. He has a new coordinator in Dorsey — who may or may not call plays — and he’ll undoubtedly be all ears.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
The Fan, 92.3 bull and fox show...

Adam "The Bull" left that show nearly two years ago. Nick Wilson is trash. At least get the simple details correct.

Also, that was in reaction to Watson's comment when he was on the podcast with Cam Newton and before Watson, himself, came and out addressed all the hullabaloo.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I like Nick Wilson, with the idea he is more thoughtful and reasoned in his opinion even if I disagree with it.. Fox is the one on that show I don't enjoy.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
.. Fox is the one on that show I don't enjoy.

He may not be back...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
.. Fox is the one on that show I don't enjoy.

He may not be back...

I saw that! But I don't know why he would publicly call out a current (perhaps now, former) employer like that. It looks stupid and not well thought out....much like his sports takes on the show. naughtydevil

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The Avery/Watson/Newton Podcast

Begin at the 5:00 minute mark...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I still believe when healthy, DW is a very good QB who can take the Browns where they want to go. However, he needs more playmakers on O. We need a solid #1 WR to go along with Amari a WR that can go deep and stretch the field. Another WR for some depth would be welcome also. We need a better back up to Nick Chubb also. Some examples were already posted on the draft forum of players that fit our needs. We don’t have a #1 pick but good players are there in the 2nd and third rounds that can help us right away

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 02/01/24 11:15 AM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Would love Roman Wilson and/or Ladd McConkey in the draft.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd be thrilled with McConkey or Ja'Lynn Polk.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Hammer
Would love Roman Wilson and/or Ladd McConkey in the draft.

I agree on Ladd. He might not be the fastest, but he gets open and catches the ball. Also a good catch and returner guy on punts. Smart player. Not sure where he is projected in the draft, But I might make sure I got him by trading up or drafted a round early to do so.

In the end, who cares where you draft a guy if he becomes a good player for you? He is going to be a good NFL receiver.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This draft looks loaded with good receivers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're trying to do to watson the exact same thing fans did to Baker. Take every word he said and twist it into what you want it to mean.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
DW needs to show up before he speaks up. I have nothing for the guy and think he’ll end up being the worst mistake the browns have made since the return.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We know you left your heart in Tampa Bay. Didn't they write a song about that? No, that was San Fransisco.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Shut up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Shut up.

rofl

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Shut up.

rofl

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

OCD...do not forget, tomorrow is GROUNDHOG DAY...

We have seen this type of conduct repeated at least once a year.. thumbsup grin

Legend
Legend
congrats Myles

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DW needs to show up before he speaks up. I have nothing for the guy and think he’ll end up being the worst mistake the browns have made since the return.

Worst mistake since the return? He's got some serious competition. Manziel, Gilbert, trading up for Trent Richardson...Hue.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Worst mistake since the return? He's got some serious competition. Manziel, Gilbert, trading up for Trent Richardson...Hue.

Yeah, but we traded Richardson for a 1st round pick and used it to draft Justin Gilbert!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMHO, after 2-years of trying to get Watson to play Stefanski's style of offense, it would appear the Browns might be trying to adjust the offense to the player rather than the wasted last 2 years of having Watson adjust to the offense (aka Mayfield 2.0).

Problem 1 that needs addressed: Watson has trouble reading the field. He has one of the slowest releases in football. Playing in a play action offense the majority of the time gives Watson less time to survey the field. The offense looks like a still-slightly out-of-sync edition of what the Browns are been trying to continually to nail down. When Chubb was gone, it removed the only running back with enough of a threat who was instrumental in selling Stefanski’s play-action-laden passing scheme.

Taken from a wider vantage, there is plenty to be worried about in Cleveland. But not all of it is Watson. The offensive line has to be far better in pass protection, but the loss of OL Coach Callahan is going to hurt. And if it can’t be, Watson is going to have to take some more risks with his legs or learn throw the ball away more often to avoid sacks. This is not a new problem though. Watson had the same issue at Clemson and at Houston. That was a never-ending storyline with getting Watson to get rid of the ball faster or just in any general way to avoid sacks. That never really happened consistently, and now it’s popping up again. Anytime you put Watson under center rather than the gun you magnify the problem.

Problem 2: A motion driven offense. Having motion within the offense helps the QB read the defense and identify areas of weakness prior to the snap. The Cleveland Browns offense was 31st in the league using motion during their offensive play. Now some of that may have been the lack of talent at the WR position or even the consistent scheme of using 2 TE's but the lack of motion is detriment to a QB who has a slow release. Add in a play action offense and you'll have a QB that struggles.

I'm not a fan of the Watson acquisition but he's here and I have to deal with that. Having a HC that continually tries to mold QB'S to the offense rather than to the players skill set is a much bigger issue. Maybe all the changes to the offensive side of coaches will correct these problems but I'm not holding my breath with Stefanski still in charge.

Note: Watson was ranked 55th out of 78 of all the QB's that were rated in 2023 release rate.
Burrow CIN 9th @ 2.2
Rudolph PIT 21st @ 2.3
Watson CLE 55th @ 2.5
Jackson BAL 72nd @ 2.7

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: Floquinho, WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
IMHO, after 2-years of trying to get Watson to play Stefanski's style of offense, it would appear the Browns might be trying to adjust the offense to the player rather than the wasted last 2 years of having Watson adjust to the offense (aka Mayfield 2.0).

Problem 1 that needs addressed: Watson has trouble reading the field. He has one of the slowest releases in football. Playing in a play action offense the majority of the time gives Watson less time to survey the field. The offense looks like a still-slightly out-of-sync edition of what the Browns are been trying to continually to nail down. When Chubb was gone, it removed the only running back with enough of a threat who was instrumental in selling Stefanski’s play-action-laden passing scheme.

Taken from a wider vantage, there is plenty to be worried about in Cleveland. But not all of it is Watson. The offensive line has to be far better in pass protection, but the loss of OL Coach Callahan is going to hurt. And if it can’t be, Watson is going to have to take some more risks with his legs or learn throw the ball away more often to avoid sacks. This is not a new problem though. Watson had the same issue at Clemson and at Houston. That was a never-ending storyline with getting Watson to get rid of the ball faster or just in any general way to avoid sacks. That never really happened consistently, and now it’s popping up again. Anytime you put Watson under center rather than the gun you magnify the problem.

Problem 2: A motion driven offense. Having motion within the offense helps the QB read the defense and identify areas of weakness prior to the snap. The Cleveland Browns offense was 31st in the league using motion during their offensive play. Now some of that may have been the lack of talent at the WR position or even the consistent scheme of using 2 TE's but the lack of motion is detriment to a QB who has a slow release. Add in a play action offense and you'll have a QB that struggles.

I'm not a fan of the Watson acquisition but he's here and I have to deal with that. Having a HC that continually tries to mold QB'S to the offense rather than to the players skill set is a much bigger issue. Maybe all the changes to the offensive side of coaches will correct these problems but I'm not holding my breath with Stefanski still in charge.

Note: Watson was ranked 55th out of 78 of all the QB's that were rated in 2023 release rate.
Burrow CIN 9th @ 2.2
Rudolph PIT 21st @ 2.3
Watson CLE 55th @ 2.5
Jackson BAL 72nd @ 2.7

Our OL didn't hold up well most of the season. When timing is thrown off by early pressure/breakdowns up front, one has to hold the ball longer to get to a positive outcome, throw it away (which can never be better than neutral,) or take a risk and cross one's fingers. Fortunately, we had QBs that could evade pressure pretty well. Unfortunately, constant pressure/disruption eventually gets QBs hurt, and taking risks and crossing one's fingers stopped working for Flacco.

I might actually be cautiously optimistic if Peters replaces Callahan as OL coach. I wonder if defenses figured out Callahan. I seem to recall that Peters was the one spending lots of time with Dawand Jones, who was the bright spot on the OL.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
"Having a HC that continually tries to mold QB'S to the offense rather than to the players skill set is a much bigger issue. Maybe all the changes to the offensive side of coaches will correct these problems but I'm not holding my breath with Stefanski still in charge."

This quote shows a lack of understanding of what actually is taking place on the field.

The exact opposite is what has been proven over and over again. I am not going to explain it because it not worth my time.

If you cannot see what has been run under the quarterbacks KS have coached. There is no point in trying to explain it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Yeah, but we traded Richardson for a 1st round pick and used it to draft Justin Gilbert!

Good God there are so many "hold my beer" moments with this organization.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm confused insofar as the reference goes to Baker 2.0. I thought Stefanski called a rather Baker-friendly offense, hence his good year in 2020. Things went south in 2021 after the injury.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://www.brownsnation.com/pff-names-browns-secret-superstar-this-season/

Interesting that PFF grades JOK so high.

Many thought he was too light to play linebacker. IMO the linebacker position in the NFL has changed. It used to be dominated by bigger guys who really were in run support. Butkus type guys 6'3" 250 lbs.

Linebackers were supposed to stack and shed blockers.

Now what you see are rush linebackers like Parsons and TJ that are like small DE's in a 3/4.

JOK is a new breed of smaller guys who play "will." They are three down guys who are expected to cover backs and TE's and play zone.

JOK is not a stack and shed guy. He plays to beat the blocker to the gap. He out quicks the blocker.

He relies upon instinct, quickness, and ability to tackle. Often he gets to guys behind the LOS. TFL rate this season was incredible. Often if he did not get the tackle he re-routed the runner and caused the tackle.

JOK will be a key player for the Browns defense as his reps increase.

He is a pleasure to watch play.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard