Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's by Albert Breer. The same sportswriter steve quoted earlier who is pushing the narrative the the FO forced Stefanski to make these coaching changes. So now Breer is simply pushing his narrative even further. They found a single writer who is telling the story they want to hear and as such have hopped on the Albert Breer train.

Actually it is by Pete Smith, who was fired from SI for posting false information. In this article he is saying if Breer is right (something Breer speculated) then Stefanski should leave. It is nothing but clickbait supposition. I was wondering how long it would take Mac to post it

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're right. And yes, it's all based on Breer's speculation.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/si/br

Background on Pete Smith

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I find it very hard to believe Breer would report something he wasn’t told by multiple people.

Legend
Legend
What if I told you it was Marla Ridenour that told him?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
I would say she sucks in pressers.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Stefanski, Berry and the Browns could end all this speculation by coming out with the real story. Nothing but crickets so far out of Berea so the rumors exist. This type of lack of open communication that is exactly why the Browns are always considered dysfunctional. It' is also interesting that AVP isn't discounting the story. You can hold an opinion as to what happened or didn't but as long as the Browns remain silent this is the type of press reporting you get and should expect.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Has anyone actually bothered to ask AVP about the validity of the story? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Has anyone actually bothered to ask AVP about the validity of the story? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Like I said, AVP has not discounted the story.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And like I said, nobody has asked him to either confirm or deny the story. He no longer works here and probably doesn't care one way or the other about rumors in Cleveland. A lot less than some of you do for sure. He's busy with more important things like working on being the New England Patriots' new offensive coordinator.

I'm sure that's a lot more important to him than addressing the BS rumor mill.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
I'm certainly glad to know you have made yourself the self appointed expert on evaluating NFL HC's. You'll have to forgive us who have followed the game for over 50 years who disagree.

Being a “NFL supporter” for over a half a century have some advantages, I will give you that. (even score on that department)
But it also comes with some small disadvantages like sometimes wearing brown/orange tainted glasses that sometimes lead to being overprotective and home blind.

Without being dead certain but fairly sure I think being a HC with a responsibility of nearly 100 people (maybe more) is quite similar to be an executive manager/director in a middle sized company. Day to day problems. Co-operate with other coaches/managers. Being responsible for sales, policies, working processes, legal procedures, ISO certifications, employees, hiring processes, media, promotions and so on. On top of that report to the board, stock holders and being hold accountable for the annual report and eventual profit. Trust me. It’s a full time job that in some departments requires similar skills and responsibilities as an NFL head coach. A HC’s speciality is American football but the rest…. Not so different.

The other thing that maybe separates us is how much emotions we have invested in our favorite team. As you understand as a born Scandinavian then American football wasn’t my first love. Not even second. Despite that I do my best to catch up even if you probably think differently. My professional experience is more connected to management and decision making, not by any means an expert but I have som experience that’s not to dismiss. It’s probably not your taste but it helped me so far that I feel rather confident go have an opinion on the matter.

Instead of posting one liners or throwing insults why don’t you try to present a different view instead. Or ignore my opinions. I have no problem being wrong. If you express opinions on a daily/weekly basis the chances of getting things wrong is 100% and it’s easier to pick apart others thoughts instead of presenting own opinions or be constructive.

P
Legend
Legend
P
One thing I don't do is wear orange and brown glasses. If you have any doubt just read my signature. You'll have to try again.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
When did Albert Breer become the BS rumor mill?

Legend
Legend
Why would the organization be obligated to tell the fan base about how management decisions are reached?

How would that benefit them?

Other than everything they do they would now require an explanation.

Do you hear of any other teams explaining their every action?

Legend
Legend
You're right. And yes, it's all based on Breer's speculation.

Yeah, it's just an Opinion piece.

I think people forget what these are, though, at least back in the day, they used to be clearly marked as such in the newspapers.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Why would the organization be obligated to tell the fan base about how management decisions are reached?

Bills explanation as to why Dorsey was fired.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...coordinator-ken-dorsey-fired-sources-say

Steelers explanation as to why Canada was fired.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38950625/steelers-fire-oc-matt-canada-offensive-struggles

Cowboys explanation as to why Moore was fired.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/n...-offensive-coordinator-Kellen-Moore.html

Ravens explanation as to why Roman was fired.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/greg-roman-steps-down-ravens-offensive-coordinator/42569274#

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by bonefish

Bills explanation as to why Dorsey was fired.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...coordinator-ken-dorsey-fired-sources-say

Steelers explanation as to why Canada was fired.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38950625/steelers-fire-oc-matt-canada-offensive-struggles

Cowboys explanation as to why Moore was fired.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/n...-offensive-coordinator-Kellen-Moore.html

Ravens explanation as to why Roman was fired.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/greg-roman-steps-down-ravens-offensive-coordinator/42569274#

Three of those were fired mid-season, which generally comes along with an explanation. The fourth was Cowboys coach McCarthy speaking about their differences three months later.

So since this is not good enough...

“To clarify further on the Alex Van Pelt situation. Per multiple team sources, the Browns discussed a ʻreassignment of rolesʻ with [Van Pelt] on the coaching staff. But ultimately, the two sides opted to part ways."

I'd say your best bet is an organized protest at 76 Lou Groza. Flo has been wanting to make a trip to the states, Mac would probably be on board. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
https://www.cleveland.com/sports/20...ns-fans-dont-give-him-jimmy-watkins.html

Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Some people have agendas and won't deviate from them. KS is a good coach IMO. Have I questioned some of the things he's done? Yes, but I think we're fortunate to have him. Hopefully DW will become the QB we expect, will stay healthy and we can add more talent to the roster.

Legend
Legend
No head coach is beyond reproach. You learn and get better at what you do with repetition.

Mistakes come with the job. Kyle Shanahan was the OC for the Falcons in the Super Bowl when the Falcons lost after leading 28-3 in the third quarter.

Football can be cruel but it also teaches from failure.

What really defines a head coach is can he get the most from his players? Can he put them in the best position to use their strengths?

The deal to get DW was an all in deal. I have mixed feelings about it. DW is responsible for how he plays no matter who is the head coach and whatever offense he plays in. However, at this stage the perception by fans is how DW plays is somehow up to KS.

That IMO is unfortunate. Everything is being done to position DW for success. I do not think KS is the only factor in how DW plays.

At the same time I know that is how KS will be defined.

I hope DW plays like the player that he was traded for. I want KS and AB to remain because I think they will give the Browns the best chance to win.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd be willing to bet that in his early starts KS wasn't telling DW to throw the ball into the ground. But maybe that's just me.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
One thing I don't do is wear orange and brown glasses. If you have any doubt just read my signature. You'll have to try again.

The name of the game is timing.

Firing and hire without creating to much speculation is in my world about timing. You try to bring the bad (or less positive) news forward just before you present some new - positive things. Timing timing timing.
I have done this many times and my end goal was to avoid speculations and present a future that looks more attractive compared to the situation we had before. There will be individuals who have to leave or being pushed sideways but when presenting all the changes at the same time you minimize the negatives and hopefully the after-match will be about the new. (Me and my partners learned us the hard way with multiple failures, disappointed staff and sometimes costly buy outs )

Let's say for a moment I agree with some of you that Stefanski was overachieving this season compared to what he had to his disposal. Not only that. Watson also actually won almost all the games that he started. Then these changes creates questions. What was it actually. A good season, like many present as a accurate statement, or was it a disappointing
season? Maybe I understand why and I hopefully have an idea about the thought process behind the changes it but the timing and how it was presented was, if I put it mildly, maybe bit amateurish.

My take on this would be to present all the out and in-goings at the same time. The approach would be, with strong confidence and emphasis, make this as positive as possible. Be direct and clear and absolutely don't avoid any uncomfortable questions.

Kevin had in my opinion a golden opportunity to strengthen his authority and put his stamp on the Browns future journey. By acting like a strong leader who's fully behind, and maybe even the driving force behind it. Between the lines he pushes Jimmy Haslam, DePodesta and Berry to the sideline and look like the natural leader for this team. It's a strategic move because right now Stefanski's stocks are all time high. He would easily get a job somewhere else and Kevin at the moment is probably more valuable the Browns organization then vice versus.

If some up high in the organization thinks otherwise then my advice would be - move on - when you're young and your CV looks really good.

Anyway. None of us knows all the ins and outs but for me Kevins press confernce looked uncoordinated and without a visable long term strategy. Even if there where a strategy the planning about the future felt a bit blurry .

Last edited by Floquinho; 02/07/24 12:50 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The entertainment value in your posts is nothing short of amazing.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
You have to read between the lines with some of these posts...

Kevin is good.

But not as good as Flo.

But gooder than many others.

Good enough to "push the GM and owner to the side" to exert his authority.

Which may get him fired.

But probably not because his stock is high.

But still maybe -- but that's fine too -- he's good enough to get a new job.

If he didn't get fired, he would appear to be a "more natural leader".

And that would win the press conference.

And that, from a fan's perspective, would make the future less blurry.

1 member likes this: bonefish
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just don't bother giving it that much focus on a response. You broke it down well. It's nothing but a lot of double speak and I guess every NFL HC should b a fluent public speaker. I know that would be one of my top priorities in a HC candidate. lol

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
I just don't bother giving it that much focus on a response. You broke it down well. It's nothing but a lot of double speak and I guess every NFL HC should b a fluent public speaker. I know that would be one of my top priorities in a HC candidate. lol

Regarding your weak response I assume that having two thought processes at the same time in your head it’s not your thing Pit.
So you were right. Your username/signature describes you well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Idk about all the speculating about why changes were made, but if we are completely revamping the O to better fit Watson’s style, I’m more worried about it not working out with him than ever before. Imagine if he still struggles out of the gate this year… Then what? Regime change for Watson’s sake? Nope, not liking the direction if all the change is for one player. I can’t imagine what we will look like if he doesn’t pan out.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Idk about all the speculating about why changes were made, but if we are completely revamping the O to better fit Watson’s style, I’m more worried about it not working out with him than ever before. Imagine if he still struggles out of the gate this year… Then what? Regime change for Watson’s sake? Nope, not liking the direction if all the change is for one player. I can’t imagine what we will look like if he doesn’t pan out.

As much as everyone says he struggled this year he struggled to a 4-1 or 5-1 record. I hope he struggles like that again in 2024. Since being a Brown, he has struggled to an 8-4 record. That is winning 2 of every 3 games. That is my kind of struggling. He struggled game one and beat the Bengals and Joe Burrow who struggled even more with a higher salary. He then had nice performances vs two bad football teams the Titans and the Cardinals. Then struggled to beat on the road the AFC's #1 seed the Ravens and Lamer Jackson who is more than likely going to be named NFL MVP who struggled more in that same game. Here I thought 1-15 followed up by 0-16 was struggling. What do I know!!!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Regarding your weak response I assume that having two thought processes at the same time in your head it’s not your thing Pit.
So you were right. Your username/signature describes you well.

I'm sorry you keep rambling on and on while saying nothing of pertinence. Actually the "He will also be the one to choose your next head coach." seems to be a job you believe you are qualified to do.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is Browns news indirectly because it is about the Steelers.

Us Browns fans know all about "the qb shirt." We had to suffer through it.

Well, well, well. Rudolph, Trubisky, Pickett is the qb room for the Steelers.

Rudolph will be a free agent in March. Trubisky is under contract for two more seasons, but he has no guaranteed money left on his deal and has a $1 million roster bonus due March 15, so he could be released soon.

That leaves Kenny. And leaves the Steelers in a bad place. Pickett is not looking too good. The Steelers pick 20th not a great place to start looking for a quarterback.

The Steelers are in quarterback hell. They will have to be looking for options that are far from ideal.

Ahhh isn't that a shame?

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns contracts: Update on Kevin Stefanski and Andrew Berry
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/...acts-rumors-kevin-stefanski-andrew-berry

Expect contract extensions to occur for Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski and general manager Andrew Berry sometime this offseason. Both have matching five-year deals that are set to expire after the 2024 season. They performed well this past year to execute a playoff push, and all signs point to them being in Cleveland for the foreseeable future.

From Jeremy Fowler & Dan Graziano at ESPN

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I would expect them to get a five year deal.

It is so important to get to this stage and have continuity. It really allows a team to establish themselves.

Continuity means a clear vision can be implemented. You build the roster to a consistent image of your long term goals.

The players you draft fit your plans. How you handle the cap and free agency fit into your big picture.

I am really happy to have them both steering our path. That does not mean mistakes will not happen. Life in the NFL world is filled with obstacles.

You have to adapt and overcome. What I like about both is they are self critical and humble. They do not let ego overtake the need to be flexible and open to new ways.

They are growing into their roles together. They work well together because of mutual respect. That is critical for success in the NFL.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Mary Kay Cabot: Berry, Stefanski extensions just a matter of 'when'; Browns will be aggressive this offseason ahead of tough '24 (Audio)
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...browns-will-be-aggressive-this-offseason

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Hammer
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by mac
"The reason he was let go in Cleveland was because ownership and [Chief Strategy Officer] Paul DePodesta, not Kevin Stefanski, were frustrated with the progress Deshaun Watson has made. I don't think the people who made that decision really knew Van Pelt's value to that staff."

Haslam went looking for someone to blame for Watson's lack of progress...that certain someone volunteered VanPelt...

But, how is Watson going to show progress when he's recovering FROM SURGERY on his throwing shoulder and the doctors will be the authority that determines when Watson will be cleared to begin throwing a football again?

Looks like those who made the trade for Watson are beginning to panic a bit.

"Hey boss, come on in."

Haslam looks angry, wringing his hands, eyebrows stitched together. "You know Kev, this Watson things has us looking like fools, the sharks want their pound of flesh."

Stefanski looks confused, cocks his head. "I'm not sure what you're getting at..." He pauses as he suddenly wonders if he's getting fired.

"We need to let someone go, a scapegoat." Haslam sits down, crosses his legs, dusts some crumbs off the arm of the chair. He sips his bourbon as he stares into space.

"Well, there are strong rumors Brian's gonna get that job in Tennessee and Bill will probably join him... we could fire him before he quits? I mean, we'll let him know and wait 'til the rumors are confi..."

"NO, you fool", he slams his glass down. "I can't fire a legend! How would that look?? I'm tired of looking like an
overreaching, incompetent owner."

The tension is palpable. Kevin feels the heat rising in the room, he walks over and raises the window. In the distance, he hears a dog barking. It's a small, harmless dog, probably a chihuahua, the irony is not lost on him.

"Okay... well, Stump is an easy choice. I think he's probably leaving anyway. Especially if the rumors about he and Kareem's girlfriend are true."

"That won't cut it. That's an ounce of flesh and he's another NFL legend." Haslam sips his fine liquor... "AVP has got to go."

Stefanski's elbows hit the desk and his chin falls between his thumbs. His biggest fear confirmed. As the voices in his head take hold, Haslam's begins to fade..."Actually, let's clean house a bit. Who's that Tight End guy? I don't really care for him..."

Haslam pops up and grabs his glass. Reenergized, strutting toward the door he pauses... "And one more, get rid of at least one more, we'll look more focused if it's viewed as 'restructuring'". He turns and smiles, "thanks Kev". He downs the last of his drink and firmly places his glass on the file cabinet marked "Guard Rails" as he leaves.

Stefanski is now rubbing his temples as he glances across the room. He sees his playchart... it seems a million miles away. He panics as he realizes...

Grabbing his phone, he quickly swipes and dials.

The seconds seem like minutes as he waits for the tone.

Berry answers... "Hey, how's my favorite coach of the ye..."

"Operation: Wafflehouse".

"I'll be right there."

How did I miss this? Well done, sir. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thanks! 😁

E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah, that was pretty good lol

No Craps Given
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns cap space: Any contracts worth cutting to save significant space?

The name of the game is talent, cash, draft picks and salary cap space in the NFL. For the Cleveland Browns: They have a lot of talent, an owner who will spend the cash, not a lot of high draft picks (but eight total) and a very flexible salary cap.

As we saw Monday after the Super Bowl, teams are moving ahead in the offseason with the Pittsburgh Steelers cutting three players who started multiple games for them last year. The Steelers did so primarily to save salary cap space even though they had to eat dead cap hits.

For the Browns, a look at the players they have under contract and what kind of savings they could get under the salary cap, there are very few that could provide significant savings, as Pittsburgh got, but are too talented/important to the team:

(All in numbers in millions, pre-June 1st numbers)

WR Amari Cooper - Save $12.5, $11.3 dead cap hit
RB Nick Chubb - Save $11.8, $4 dead cap hit
OL Joel Bitonio - Save $3.4, $8.7 dead cap hit

Releasing TE Jordan Akins would save the team $2 million in cap space with a minimal dead cap hit.

If designated as after June 1st cuts, some of the numbers change but Cleveland still doesn’t have players that aren’t performing that cutting would save significant cap space.

Chubb’s contract and health could lead to some kind of adjusted contract this offseason like the team did in the past with OL Jack Conklin.

Where GM Andrew Berry has the most flexibility is with contract restructuring and extensions. K Dustin Hopkins, for example, is set to count $3 million against the salary cap but an extension should lower that number significantly.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/...-worth-cutting-to-save-significant-space

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard