Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by GMdawg
The economy is not going great for those on fixed incomes.

I’ve heard from GOPers here, there is something those on fixed incomes can do. “Get a job.” Not trying to be rude but that’s the attitude I see from the right. They say SS wasn’t meant to support 100% of your retirement. So not being prepared for that eventuality is kinda short sighted.

Kinda ironic because GOPers have been complaining about handouts to the poor for…well forever. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the handouts just can’t keep up for them now.

Really. Get a job.... I had a job, worked between 60 and 110 hours a week for 34 years. I am now physically unable to work, but sure just run out and get a job
willynilly

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I’ve heard from GOPers here, there is something those on fixed incomes can do. “Get a job.” Not trying to be rude but that’s the attitude I see from the right. They say SS wasn’t meant to support 100% of your retirement. So not being prepared for that eventuality is kinda short sighted.

Kinda ironic because GOPers have been complaining about handouts to the poor for…well forever. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the handouts just can’t keep up for them now.

It's only okay when they say it. Haven't you figured that part out yet?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

It's only okay when they say it. Haven't you figured that part out yet?

Or it's messed up when both say it. Unfortunately, people tend to make excuses for themselves and their groups while casting blame and aspersions on other groups for doing the same things. I say it's jacked up no matter who is "doing it." Hypocrisy isn't a good look on anyone.

A country/economy that breaks people enough that large numbers of people all over the spectrum "need" "handouts" wouldn't seem to be a great collection of systems.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with you at all. I think the point that Spiral was trying to make is that those who NOW point to how badly the economy is hurting them were the same people who were saying to get a job, how social security was not meant to be your entire income and you should have prepared better, pull yourself up by your boot straps among a litany or other cliches. That not being financially prepared is your own fault. It just seemed as though they used things like that to fit their own purposes strictly depending on who was president at the time.

The economic numbers are indicators that the economy is improving by a great deal. Interest rates are slowly falling. The inflation rate has gone down dramatically. The job market is exceeding expectations.

But that doesn't change one thing I learned from an early age. My dad was born in 1930. He was from S.E. Kentucky and grew up impoverished as the depression was coming to an end. What he taught me was that when the economy tanks, the first people to feel it was the poor and when it got better the last people to feel it was the poor. He knew that leaving it up to corporations to be fair to their employees was nothing but a pipe dream and that if you didn't organize and fight to be treated properly you would never be treated properly. As such he joined the military as soon as he could to get out of that poverty and immediately after leaving the military moved to Ohio for a union job.

So I'm fully aware of what you're saying. The difference between myself and some others is that while I understand all of that I'm fully aware of when the economy is improving and also understand that if it will ever impact the poor in a positive way that improvement has to continue over a long period of time.

But as far as your assertion that the system is rigged it certainly is and you have to fight hard in order to get ahead. And that rigged system doesn't change no matter which party is in charge. I will say that I tend to side with politicians which support labor unions rather than those who seek to destroy labor unions since those unions are one of the only tools the common worker has to fairly be paid and compensated. And yes, the unions too have their flaws.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree with all of your post except for the unions. I personally don't like them at all. They did their best to get our coal mine shut down. My wife's union (teachers union) which she paid into for 8 to 10 years just walked away and ignored them when their work place closed down. I watched guys at Lordstown sit around and do nothing (unless they were playing cards or napping) because a light bulb burned out.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Damanshot

I'm doing just fine. Our investments keep us chugging right along..

That's great for you, but that's kinda like rubbing [censored] in someone's face. Those on a truly fixed income can't keep up with the price of bread... they'd rather not hear people touting a bullish stock market as a great economy. j/s

Why? It was fine for people to do it when Trump was president. Now all of a sudden it’s “rubbing it in someone’s face”

Nah, I’m doing quite well in this economy. People need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and make better financial decisions.

Remember that rhetoric?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish

That's great for you, but that's kinda like rubbing [censored] in someone's face. Those on a truly fixed income can't keep up with the price of bread... they'd rather not hear people touting a bullish stock market as a great economy. j/s

Why? It was fine for people to do it when Trump was president. Now all of a sudden it’s “rubbing it in someone’s face”

Nah, I’m doing quite well in this economy. People need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and make better financial decisions.

Remember that rhetoric?

A. Who are these "people"? GM? Did he say it was fine, now he's flipping? I didn't say that. I could go back and see what Daman said, I suspect it would be the opposite or nothing at all. The ongoing "the same people said" is the real tired rhetoric. It's just a lazy statement with no accountability.

B. You realize that "Trump" was before the biggest bout of inflation in over 40 years, right? I mean, that is the biggest factor that affects those on a fixed budget so just ignoring it is basically comparing apples to watermelons.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Sorry bro I’m taking the GOPer approach. I apologize for using the same exactitude GOPers use. My bad. But I will continue to do so.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
A country/economy that breaks people enough that large numbers of people all over the spectrum "need" "handouts" wouldn't seem to be a great collection of systems.

Large amount of GOPers wanting their handouts again. Pffft bleeding heart GOPers…..actually sounds like they’re half human now.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
"GOPers, GOPers, Trump, Trump, Trump!!"

P
Legend
Legend
P
"GOPers, GOPers, Trump, Trump, Trump!!"

Sleepy Joe, Sleepy Joe, Biden, Biden, Biden! Kamala is not qualified! Then there's that guy with a husband. You are no less of a one trick pony than the people you are pointing the finger at.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Best economey ever and we have GOPer tears to drink. Lol

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Remember that rhetoric?

...did you think it was fine when Trump was President? You and Spiral definitely seem bitter and vindictive about it now.

Gamblers feel great when they are winning. Unfortunately, the winning doesn't last more often than not. Our economy (/stock market) is way too dependent on people continuing to chase that gamblers' high.

We've more or less completely separated our economy from intrinsic value. The seemingly overwhelming mindset that as long as I am getting mine, by hook or by crook, everything is alright in the economy is stinking sad.

I'm really not trying to take shots at you, Swish. I get it. That does appear to be the prevailing paradigm.

Unfortunately, "gambling" doesn't really work for me, I feel bad when I take other people's money. As it stands, for some to have more, others have to have less. It sucks that some feel the urge to have more than they could ever possibly need, leaving others with less than they literally need and minimal opportunity to do anything about it.

Stepping on others when they are down is pretty lousy no matter who is doing it. The country was built on it and continues to be built that way.

Sadly, it seems that too many people in this country who claim to want equality and equity really just seem to want to be the ones wearing the boots.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand your point about the stock market. Although I think you must admit that not only did the GOP expound that as a talking point, now they use that exact same measurement as only helping the rich.

But in this case the stock market is only one of many indicators trending upwards. Job creation is surpassing expectations, unemployment has reached a seriously low percentage, interest rates are going down and inflation has greatly decreased.

Just last week the U.S. set an all time record in oil production. Breaking it down to just the stock market is an oversimplification of the situation.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sadly, it seems that too many people in this country who claim to want equality and equity really just seem to want to be the ones wearing the boots.

Sadly the GOP rhetoric over the last few decades has been anything but a voice for equality. Sorry if my rhetoric now sounds bitter and cold. That’s hard to get used to when the boots are on the other feet. I feel you.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
The fact that you missed the obvious sarcasm in the post is…not surprising.

Let’s be clear here: there’s not a situation where PS and myself haven’t been far more sympathetic to people struggling in this country than you or any other conservative on this board. That’s an undeniable truth. The rhetoric of people being leeches and takers and welfare queens comes from your side the isle, not ours.

Please check yourself. You might not being taking a shot, but I’ll go ahead and fire off anyways, cause ya know “feared for my life”

Liberals been telling yall about corporate greed and income inequality for decades, and what were we called. But now all of a sudden you right wingers feeling some pain, so how DARE us liberals take some friendly shots at yall.

Pathetic.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
Legend
Meanwhile……

https://www.advocate-news.com/2023/12/22/fed-inflation-gauge-tumbles-as-prices-continue-to-drop/

Fed inflation gauge tumbles as prices continue to drop
The rate on the benchmark 30-year fixed-rate mortgage is already dropping

WASHINGTON — The Federal Reserve’s preferred measure of prices fell last month, another sign that inflation is easing and that Americans should benefit from reduced interest rates and get relief from painful price shocks in 2024.

Friday’s report from the Commerce Department showed that U.S. consumer prices slid 0.1% last month from October and rose 2.6% from November 2022. The month-over-month drop was the largest since April 2020 when the economy was reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, so-called core inflation last month rose 0.1% from October and 3.2% from a year earlier.

The numbers show somewhat more progress against inflation than economists had expected. Inflation is steadily moving down to the Fed’s year-over-year target of 2% and appears to be clearing the way for Fed rate cuts in 2024. That, in turn, could translate into lower rates on everything from mortgages to credit cards.

Rates on loans for cars, homes and other larger purchases tend to track the direction of Fed monetary policy, so when benchmark interest rates are cut in the U.S., consumer costs typically fall and free up more money for households to spend elsewhere.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
2024 Matchups: Biden Opens Up Lead Over Trump In Head-To-Head, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Haley Leads Biden 1 On 1, But Trails When Third Party Candidates Are Added

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Isn’t that the same poll that had Hillary ahead by a landslide?

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Since Memphis used a meaningless poll to make his point I returned the favor.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
2024 Matchups: Biden Opens Up Lead Over Trump In Head-To-Head, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Haley Leads Biden 1 On 1, But Trails When Third Party Candidates Are Added

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3889

In other news, the Sesame Street poll has Oscar the Grouch beating Trump by a chicken bone.

That poll had Hillary up by near double digits late before the 2016 race.

P
Legend
Legend
P
In other news when people don't like the news they attack the news. They'll call it things like state media so they can avoid actually discussing topics.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I call it State TV so we can discuss the topics. Then you wimp out and talk about Trump and Congress.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So in other words I hold congress accountable to do their job and pass an immigration bill? You have a very strange way of wording that. Says the man who uses Sleepy Joe all the time.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Just a thought, but if you play the stock markets Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Meta/FB, and OpenAI are going hard to put LLMs (ai) into everything online AND off in 24. My thoughts are those stocks will rise significantly this year. The average joe is about to be inundated with AI apps and gadgets for everything they do. We’ll see.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let’s be clear here: there’s not a situation where PS and myself haven’t been far more sympathetic to people struggling in this country than you or any other conservative on this board. That’s an undeniable truth. The rhetoric of people being leeches and takers and welfare queens comes from your side the isle, not ours.

Please check yourself. You might not being taking a shot, but I’ll go ahead and fire off anyways, cause ya know “feared for my life”

Liberals been telling yall about corporate greed and income inequality for decades, and what were we called. But now all of a sudden you right wingers feeling some pain, so how DARE us liberals take some friendly shots at yall.

Pathetic.

Dude, I'm not a right winger. I'm anti-agglomeration. I'm against groupthink BS and applying inaccurate labels to people. Screw both parties, their corporate string pullers, and sides of the aisle thinking.

It's ironic that "liberals" (your self selected label) seem to tend to be not "willing to respect or accept behaviors or opinions different from their own." (The definition of liberal.)

PS might be the least sympathetic person I've ever encountered (at least as he presents himself in posts here, especially if you dare to have a different opinion.) ...and I've met some real jerks. PS has admitted he's posted for the sole purpose of trying to upset people. I suppose your posts being alongside and in seeming agreement with his led to me missing the "sarcasm."

Your "friendly shots" didn't seem very friendly. Sarcasm is easy to miss in text, and I tend to read things literally.There was likely some guilt by association going on. I'm human and past experience with PS shades my perception when he's around.

...I don't get the "feared for my life" remark. I mean I kind of get what you were going for, but it seems weird in this context.

Calling someone pathetic seems out of character for someone who thinks of themselves as highly sympathetic when they have no idea what I'm struggling with.

I can relate to your frustration, though. No hard feelings. I get that my intentions aren't always easy to discern, either.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
PS has admitted he's posted for the sole purpose of trying to upset people.

Liar.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Pathetic.

Dude, I'm not a right winger. I'm anti-agglomeration. I'm against groupthink BS and applying inaccurate labels to people. Screw both parties, their corporate string pullers, and sides of the aisle thinking.

It's ironic that "liberals" (your self selected label) seem to tend to be not "willing to respect or accept behaviors or opinions different from their own." (The definition of liberal.)

PS might be the least sympathetic person I've ever encountered (at least as he presents himself in posts here, especially if you dare to have a different opinion.) ...and I've met some real jerks. PS has admitted he's posted for the sole purpose of trying to upset people. I suppose your posts being alongside and in seeming agreement with his led to me missing the "sarcasm."

Your "friendly shots" didn't seem very friendly. Sarcasm is easy to miss in text, and I tend to read things literally.There was likely some guilt by association going on. I'm human and past experience with PS shades my perception when he's around.

...I don't get the "feared for my life" remark. I mean I kind of get what you were going for, but it seems weird in this context.

Calling someone pathetic seems out of character for someone who thinks of themselves as highly sympathetic when they have no idea what I'm struggling with.

I can relate to your frustration, though. No hard feelings. I get that my intentions aren't always easy to discern, either.

Wait a damn minute! How is he the least sympathetic person you’ve encountered? Lmao, you must not get out much… Have we met?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Lol … he’s too busy scouring old posts to prove his silly ass post. I know I P him off at some point. He cracks me up. He has more BS than the state of Texas. Comprehending his posts is like listening to that creepy crazy prof in college.

And oh BTW “BS dawg” “feared for my life” means “I’ve feared for my life” probably in a racially charged situation. At least that’s what it means to me.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Sorry bro I’m taking the GOPer approach. I apologize for using the same exactitude GOPers use. My bad. But I will continue to do so.

and I bitched about it when the right did it as well.

Legend
Legend

Huge difference, my comments are sarcastic in nature. All of a sudden the GOPers here actually give a crap about the poor and those on fixed incomes. It’s friggen laughable. You do know they’ve been wanting to end SS. They think it’s an entitlement not earned.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PS being a self-loathing, closeted "GOPer" that pretends he's a liberal would make so many things make sense.

If I'm being frank, it could start to make a lot about our entire political system make a messed up sort of sense. I mean apologizing for doing the things you complain about and knowingly continuing to do them doesn't really make sense, but it does seem to happen a lot.

I'll decline his PS ("Perfect" "cow flop") apology/non-apology and go back to trying to ignore the "troll bait." It's just such a stupidly inflammatory MO. Maybe his account was co-opted by a Russian dissent bot.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
At this point it looks as if you're using the same tactic you seem to have so much disdain for when he uses it. "If you can't beat em' join em'"

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Huge difference, my comments are sarcastic in nature. All of a sudden the GOPers here actually give a crap about the poor and those on fixed incomes. It’s friggen laughable. You do know they’ve been wanting to end SS. They think it’s an entitlement not earned.

Yep I know.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Large amount of GOPers wanting their handouts again. Pffft bleeding heart GOPers…..actually sounds like they’re half human now.

LOL...I don't want handouts. I just don't want to spend $200 or so a week on groceries for my wife and I when I see people using their government cheese cards to pay for food.

Maybe we should set up government cheese stores for people who use government cheese cards. That way those of us who actually spend our own money for things don't feel like we are getting rooked.

Maybe a thank-you from those in check out to the person behind with money in hand should be in order. After all, I am seeing it as I am contributing to buy their food.

I am glad to help, but a thank-you would be nice...no?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
More hatred directed towards the poor. Not surprising.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

And that’s why I laugh at these dudes. Even in a situation where “everybody” is hurting, they still can’t help but punch down.

Pathetic.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
Legend
It’s like some of yall forgot that we remember the trash you was still talking about people even during the pandemic.

Heartless then, heartless now. Two things can be true. I sympathize with most, and some of yall had it coming.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E

Lots of hatred for the poor by libtards in this thread. Libtards want so desperately to crow about the economy when the poor cant afford their hyper inflated groceries and cant afford their rent. Yall trying so hard to sweep the poor under the rug like an inconvienent truth. SHAME

No Craps Given
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus The economy again…

Link Copied to Clipboard