Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
The question becomes what will Russ do for the Steelers?

Maybe more of a question is who is Russell Wilson ?

I thought the sideline crap from Sean Payton was BS. However, I don't know the real story there. Certainly there are rumors about Wilson being a Prima Donna..

At the same time Sean Payton has stuck his foot in his mouth as well.

The Steelers are a defensive team that wants to run the ball on offense. Matt Canada was disaster. Russ can still throw the ball.

I have no feel for how it will work in Pittsburgh.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Wow....Bears got barely any return on that deal.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Bargain basement special.

Geez, I thought Fields was worth more than that. He is young. Played for a bad team. Big strong athletic guy.

Steelers made a good move. No matter what happens it was worth the roll of the dice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Wow....Bears got barely any return on that deal.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pittsburgh must be soooo stupid. Now they've got a *gasp* QB controversy on their hands! What a bunch of buffoons!

Everybody knows if you have more than 1 QB you don't have any QB's.

Right???

They're running circles around us, like usual.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GraffZ06
Pittsburgh must be soooo stupid. Now they've got a *gasp* QB controversy on their hands! What a bunch of buffoons!

Right???

The difference is that they knew they didn't have a QB, and they are hoping one of these cheap fliers pans out. There is no incumbent. There's no big investment. No in place loyalties to worry about. Can start the vet and see how he goes. If not well, they can see what Fields has towards the end of the season and only give up a 6th to the Bears. Pickett was bad, and they knew it. They "had no QB," and they still might not, but maybe they do.

Fiercely Independent.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Right???

The difference is that they knew they didn't have a QB, and they are hoping one of these cheap fliers pans out. There is no incumbent. There's no big investment. No in place loyalties to worry about. Can start the vet and see how he goes. If not well, they can see what Fields has towards the end of the season and only give up a 6th to the Bears. Pickett was bad, and they knew it. They "had no QB," and they still might not, but maybe they do.

But they are only cheap for this year. Looking at Russ Wilson's contract-This year was fully guaranteed-Next year would have been guaranteed for 37 million tomorrow. It was not-Would pittsburgh pay Wilson 35-40 million next year or part of a 3 year deal at his age?
As for Fields, he is on the last year of his rookie deal-3.3 million-There is a 5th year option for next year for 25.664 million. Would pittsburgh pick up the option or negotiate a deal if Fields doesn't have a whole lot of playing time.

This to me is a one year band aid, and they will be back to looking for the next QB1 next year.

Legend
Legend
Personally, I hate this. I think that Fields is a better QB, by far, than Pickett, and they have upgraded thsie QB position a great deal, on the cheap.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
We just need Rish to pop in and tell us that we now have the 5th best (worst) QB in the division and we're all set.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
we have invested the most capital of any of the division teams at QB with the worst return.. a 6th for fields? we couldn't get in on that? I would say our offseason thus far is sitting at a C-. Dallas is killing it

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Right???

So clever! Just genius stuff here.

So they’re paying a washed up vet $1.2MM on a one year deal and get a young guy they gave a 4th round pick for on a rookie contract.

If either or neither pans out, minimal long term risk.

Which is pretty much just like us with three 1st rounders and $240MM fully guaranteed committed to one guy with serious PR problems and a 40yr old interception machine who’s cast some absurd Holcomb-esque spell over low wattage browns fans who can’t seem to see the prince for the freakin frog.

Pretty much an exact comparison right there.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Say what you want but today Pittsburgh has two QB's on their roster that are better than any of the three guys they had last year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I guess it is all how one looks at things.

What side of the fence are you on the Cleveland side or the Pittsburgh side.

I do not envy the Steelers.

DW is still a question mark but IMO he is in a better position to lead his team. He is beginning his third year. He knows the team and his coaches.

Before he was injured he was trending in the right direction.

Wilson and Fields are going to a new team. Both were discarded. Wilson from his last two teams.

There is no starter. That has to be determined. There could be players that see these guys differently and question who should start. Chemistry could be an issue.

DW is our starter. He is not starting over. I don't know how he will play. I want to see him stay healthy and put games together. If he can do that. I think he will do fine.

In Pittsburgh it could go either way. Then once one guy starts if he falters. Fans will be calling for the other guy.

Both could get run out of town and it will take time to figure that all out.

So I would rather be the Browns.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
For many years now the common opinion was that just about all personnel moves the Steelers make works out in their favor. However, when you look back, especially over the last 10 years or so a lot of their moves haven't worked out and some, like Kenny Pickett were terrible. Some of their 1st round picks recently haven't been that good. I don't know how these latest QB moves will work out but I would rather have a healthy DW and our QB room.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Say what you want but today Pittsburgh has two QB's on their roster that are better than any of the three guys they had last year.

And that's the way it is if you take an objective look at things. That's not to say that either are great QB's but they won 10 games last season with Pickett as their main starter. I don't see how or why them having an improved QB room wouldn't be concerning to Browns fans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. Any time a team in our division makes moves to improve itself we as Browns fans should be concerned. I still like a healthy DW more but Pittsburgh has, at least on paper, a better QB room today than they had a week ago. We are in a talented tough division.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If we get the DW of his last two starts I agree.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by FATE
We just need Rish to pop in and tell us that we now have the 5th best (worst) QB in the division and we're all set.

Are you confusing me with someone else?

I would take Watson over Wilson and Fields. I am not at all concerned about this Fields news. If he was any good, we’d have seen it. Could he resurrect his career in Pitt? Anything is possible. Does anyone think it’s likely? Would someone put money on it happening? I wouldn’t it. Plus, the team around him isn’t that good.

I’m in the minority that I think Burrow is overrated.

Hands down Lamar is the QB I wish were on the Browns.

I’m not sure about QB but we have the third or fourth best coach in the division depending on what you think of Taylor.

Legend
Legend
My bad bro.

I could have sworn it was you that said something similar lately. I should have known better as you and I have always been on the same page with Burrow. Sorry about that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Say what you want but today Pittsburgh has two QB's on their roster that are better than any of the four guys on our roster.

Fixed it for you GM!

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Speak of the devil! It was ^ this guy ^ that said Watson was the worst QB in the North.

In fact, he said Burrow was the best... and actually rated Flacco higher than Watson.

Now, Rish, I'm even more sorry than I was a few minutes ago. 🤣

R
Legend
Legend
R
Anyone that thinks Wilson is a good QB isn’t watching enough games. Payton wanted him gone because he couldn’t/wouldn’t throw the ball downfield and on time. Wilson has become a pretty good check down artist, but a check down artist nonetheless. No decent team should fear playing Wilson, and the Browns are a decent team. He took it to them last year because the Browns thought they would sleepwalk through their west coast trip and just show up. But no one checks the ball down more than Wilson. If Payton thought he was any good he’d still be there.

As for Fields I do strongly believe that a lot of rookie QBs are thrown into just the worst of situations that hurt their development greatly. I also strongly believe that even in those situations you can tell if it is the organization or the player that is the main factor in the lack of success. The NFL market pretty much gave the answer. A 5th or 6th round pick? That’s not good.

It is in the Browns best interest that Pitt commits to one of those guys.

Legend
Legend
"we have the third or fourth best coach in the division depending on what you think of Taylor."

By what measurement?

Did any coach outside of KS win two COY in four years?

I respect all four coaches in the North. I do not believe there is some kind of measuring stick to rank them accurately in 2024.

As it stands today I will take AB and KS over any other combination of head coach and GM in the North.

Legend
Legend
What am I missing?

Seattle and Denver gave up on Wilson.

Chicago gave up on Fields for a sixth.

And they are running circles around us??

We may not know how DW works out long term. Pickett, and Fields were first rounders and the teams that drafted them gave up on them. Wilson nine time pro bowler and SB winning qb is now on his third team in three years.

And we are in the same position?

I don't think so. DW has played well at times. The issue is consistency because he was suspended and then injured.

He has to stay on the field. Nobody knows for sure what will happen when he does play. However, I do not think the Browns have given up on him. And I see no reason why they should.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
"we have the third or fourth best coach in the division depending on what you think of Taylor."

By what measurement?

Did any coach outside of KS win two COY in four years?

I respect all four coaches in the North. I do not believe there is some kind of measuring stick to rank them accurately in 2024.

As it stands today I will take AB and KS over any other combination of head coach and GM in the North.

Kevin Stefanski has Coached 4 years in Cleveland and produced 2 Coach of the year awards.

Stefanski is 37-30 in those 4 years with the Browns including 2 playoff appearances. He is 1-2 in playoff games all on the road. He is 9-9 in AFC North games. 7-2 at home and 2-7 on the road.

I cannot say whether or not Stefanski is better than Tomlin, Taylor, or Harbaugh the AFC North is brutally tough, but he is easily the best coach on a Browns sidelines since Marty.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
You're not asking me, but I'm just giving credit where it's due.

If you're going to cobble together a QB room from the FA scrap heap, Pitt just gave a masterclass on how to do so. Yes, there was a whole bunch of luck involved, but again... credit where it's due.

-They swapped out their QB of the future (Pickett for Fields), and I believe they got more back in the Pickett trade than they gave up for Fields. That's insane.
-They got their bridge QB for peanuts. Many teams have paid far more for far less.

Putting my fandom aside, I'm very curious what sitting for a year in Pittsburgh can do for a QB like Fields.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Like I said.

How can one determine an accurate way to rank the coaches in the North. All have had success and failure.

The whole idea of ranking in many ways is just garbage. Mike Vrabel is a good head coach. He was just fired.

The NFL is all about this year.

I feel better today about the Browns as an organization than I have since Marty.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I sorta understand the criticism of Stefanski. He has done his best work under really tough circumstances (injuries and COVID), but then doesn't seem to deliver when the roster is strong. To be in the discussion with Tomlin and Harbaugh, you gotta deliver when expectations are high.

The flip side is that putting Stefanski near or under Taylor is ridiculous.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
You're not asking me, but I'm just giving credit where it's due.

If you're going to cobble together a QB room from the FA scrap heap, Pitt just gave a masterclass on how to do so. Yes, there was a whole bunch of luck involved, but again... credit where it's due.

-They swapped out their QB of the future (Pickett for Fields), and I believe they got more back in the Pickett trade than they gave up for Fields. That's insane.
-They got their bridge QB for peanuts. Many teams have paid far more for far less.

Putting my fandom aside, I'm very curious what sitting for a year in Pittsburgh can do for a QB like Fields.

Honestly, I'm not sure the Steelers really care about Fields' future as a "QB." I'm not sure he'll sit necessarily. I could definitely see Arty using him in a Taysom Hill-like run heavy package.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I’m not sure about QB but we have the third or fourth best coach in the division depending on what you think of Taylor.

Yeah, that NFL coach of the year guy sucks.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
but then doesn't seem to deliver when the roster is strong.

I'm not sure "when the roster was strong" that he didn't deliver. Was it the season Baker was playing poorly while injured for most of the season? Or was it the season watson was suspended for 11 games?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Regardless, they have so little invested in this experiment that they can sh-can the whole idea next offseason and not really be any worse for wear (other than a wasted year).

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Pickett and Trubisky vs Wilson and Fields.

Yes it is an upgrade.

In the end they look like an 8 to 10 win team that goes nowhere if they make were to make the playoffs.

Both Fields and Wilson do not look like solutions. What it does is prolong being mediocre and does not put you near the top of the draft to find a guy.

It puts you in a spot where somehow you hope to find a gem in a rubble pile.

The Steelers are looking at years before they find an answer.

Legend
Legend

Yes it is an upgrade.

In the end they look like an 8 to 10 win team that goes nowhere if they make were to make the playoffs.

Both Fields and Wilson do not look like solutions. What it does is prolong being mediocre and does not put you near the top of the draft to find a guy.

I've spent the better part of my life thinking and hoping the steelers were done after a mediocre season or two, but they always seem to find a way to bounce back. I think there's a good chance that Justin Fields does pan out for them.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by jfanent

Yes it is an upgrade.

I've spent the better part of my life thinking and hoping the steelers were done after a mediocre season or two, but they always seem to find a way to bounce back. I think there's a good chance that Justin Fields does pan out for them.

I am afraid of that also. When the Ravens took Lamar Jackson, I thought they would start to be mediocre because of his lack of passing skills, but as he developed his legs has changed the NFL and he has improved as a passer.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
They won 10 games last season with Pickett and Trubisky. I wouldn't sell them short with the upgrades. I think people need to be reminded that Fields has improved in passing percentage, TD to Int. ratio, yards passed for as well as QB rating every season.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I was kinda hoping he would go to the Steelers so he could check all 4 AFCN teams off the list

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News Continued.....

Link Copied to Clipboard